AVS Forum banner

14741 - 14760 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Been there and downloaded most everything on that page.
There is a 44 page Reference guide and a 117 page Help guide.
I guess whats curious to me is of all the equipment I've ever bought and downloaded their manuals,
it always said "Owners Manual".
I've been through both of the above pdf's and if this is what they provide with the tv, I'm glad there is
a online forum because both of these sure don't seem to cover settings worth a damn.
Are these two what came with the tv in the box?
These are what was included in box.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Motion adjustments shouldn’t have anything to do with a grainy picture. Grainy picture is usually source related. Who is your provider? If it’s cable check your box’s output setting. What size is your 900e and what is your viewing distance?
9 ft away from screen, we are coming from a 65in LG.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
From my personal experience I believe that viewing degradation from angles are exaggerated in reviews. Sure it’s not the same has dead on but it’s surely watchable. I have a similar setup with the 75x900e with a 10 ft distance and a chair 4 ft to the right and I have no complaints from the chair. I’d guess that in my setup that the image is 90% (or more) of what it is dead on.

Best thing is for you to try it out though.
I find the contrast decreases, colors wash out and blooming increases as you get off center much.

·
Registered
282 Posts
These are what was included in box.
Unbelievable! 44 pages, of which 21 are English with five pages on stand and wall mount instructions.
Thank you for the confirmation photos, damn, I had the thing the whole time.
You might want to consider downloading the Help pdf. All English, 110 pages of some pretty useful info.
Many moons ago, I bought a 32 in XBR tube tv, the manual that came with it was THICK, all kinds of info.
Times sure have changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unbelievable! 44 pages, of which 21 are English with five pages on stand and wall mount instructions.
Thank you for the confirmation photos, damn, I had the thing the whole time.
You might want to consider downloading the Help pdf. All English, 110 pages of some pretty useful info.
Many moons ago, I bought a 32 in XBR tube tv, the manual that came with it was THICK, all kinds of info.
Times sure have changed.
Thank God times have changed! I find it quite stupid to provide information via paper when one can access it online. Probably as stupid as people felt about information carved in stone when paper and printing was invented.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a question about connecting a sound bar to this tv. I have a Samsung sound bar and sub that was previously connected to my old Samsung via bluetooth. The 900e won't support the bluetooth connection so I have it hooked up via HDMI arc but the issue I have is that when I switch to you tube or Netflix and then back to tv, I have to manually connect the sound bar. Otherwise the tv speakers get connected instead. The tv won't continue to use the sound bar when I switch between inputs.

If I connected the sound bar with an optical cable to the tv, would this take care of the problem? At the moment I don't even use the sound bar because I find it very annoying having to manually connect it everytime I switch between youtube and cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Again, clouding is a panel issue. You need to post more than a black screen with local dimming off. From the screens I've seen, that's pretty common for a black screen, depending on the source. Mine is similar to that, with some sources, and I have no clouding or uniformity issues at all with normal viewing.

Please advise the conditions in which this photo was taken. Dark room, local dimming off, what is the source of the black screen? Is it consistent across all inputs and apps? What are your brightness and other settings. What do different colored screens look like? What does a pure gray screen look like?

If I had to guess, I'd say you have a normal 900E screen, but are overly sensitive to local dimming, and uniformity issues. Others have mitigated the issue for themseleves with bias lighting, and level adjustments to the settings. I'll let them speak to is further. But based on your discription and single photo, in the absence of other details and settings, I'd say you may want to explore another type of screen technology if you notice this during regular viewing.
Here is 4 photos in a dark room. one with a gray screen. One with black screen with local dimming off, one with a black screen with local dimming at high and one with a black screen and logo in the corner with local dimming at high. sources are from Youtube. My brightness is set at 15. it is consistent across all inputs and apps

Attachments

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Thank God times have changed! I find it quite stupid to provide information via paper when one can access it online. Probably as stupid as people felt about information carved in stone when paper and printing was invented.
I agree that paper docs in today's world make ZERO sense. But, I also believe that FULL DOCS should actually be provided. And, when things change significantly with a firmware update, the docs should be updated to reflect it. Sony's documentation is sad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just when you think you have this TV figured out ...

Watching "Dunkirk", lots of loud noises, as war movies will tend to have ... and for the really loud noises (mean Germans) the sound DROPS OUT for several seconds.

Fortunately there's the option of going directly from DVD player to stereo system, but still ... WTF ?!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree that paper docs in today's world make ZERO sense. But, I also believe that FULL DOCS should actually be provided. And, when things change significantly with a firmware update, the docs should be updated to reflect it. Sony's documentation is sad.
I just got done setting up my Denon x4300H and not having a manual to flag pages to reference(or dogear)left me with two options,
scroll through the manual on the laptop(with me in the tv room)or print out certain pages with instructions on different settings.
Case in point, just now I printed out the page on how to change the speaker ohm settings(all mine are 6 ohm). If I had a hard copy
of the 300 plus page manual, I would have flagged the page to do it initially during set-up, but as it was, I'm doing it three days later
because I forgot.
Yeah, maybe hard copy manuals are a thing of the past for people like me, but it would have been nice to be able to order a copy
if I wanted one. As it is, they don't even make them available at Denon.
Now back to the Sony "manual". Given what this tv cost when first introduced, what they call an owners manual is a joke. Either
paper or pdf, I can't believe this is all that comes with it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I just got done setting up my Denon x4300H and not having a manual to flag pages to reference(or dogear)left me with two options,
scroll through the manual on the laptop(with me in the tv room)or print out certain pages with instructions on different settings.
Case in point, just now I printed out the page on how to change the speaker ohm settings(all mine are 6 ohm). If I had a hard copy
of the 300 plus page manual, I would have flagged the page to do it initially during set-up, but as it was, I'm doing it three days later
because I forgot.
Yeah, maybe hard copy manuals are a thing of the past for people like me, but it would have been nice to be able to order a copy
if I wanted one. As it is, they don't even make them available at Denon.
Now back to the Sony "manual". Given what this tv cost when first introduced, what they call an owners manual is a joke. Either
paper or pdf, I can't believe this is all that comes with it.
Here's how you "order a copy" of your Denon manual, or any other one for that matter...

1. Download the PDF
2. Save it to USB flash drive
3. Drive to Kinko's with flash drive
4. You know the rest...

:)

Seriously - I can relate to wanting to mark up parts of a manual. Either print the specific pages and make notes on them, get a PDF editor and mark up the full doc, or do as I was saying above to get the whole thing printed (assuming you don't have a printer at your house). I can't even tell you how many hard-copy manuals I've thrown out in my life. What a complete waste of paper, time, money, weight, shipping charges, etc. And now that the firmware is EXPECTED to change over the life of an electronics product, so are the features. And that means the manuals will need to change. So, the hard copy is no longer useful in all but the smallest percentage of cases.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here is 4 photos in a dark room. one with a gray screen. One with black screen with local dimming off, one with a black screen with local dimming at high and one with a black screen and logo in the corner with local dimming at high. sources are from Youtube. My brightness is set at 15. it is consistent across all inputs and apps
Every LCD I have ever owned, and they were all higher end, has looked like the second image. Some better, some worse, but they all have clouding in a dark room with a black screen.

Good thing is I don't watch a completely black screen in the dark. And honestly I don't even notice it any longer. Good reference images you posted.

ps. How do you watch your TV upside down? You have one of those inversion tables for your back while you watch?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not seeing anything out of ordinary here...except for the pics being upside down...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Here's how you "order a copy" of your Denon manual, or any other one for that matter...

1. Download the PDF
2. Save it to USB flash drive
3. Drive to Kinko's with flash drive
4. You know the rest...

:)

Seriously - I can relate to wanting to mark up parts of a manual. Either print the specific pages and make notes on them, get a PDF editor and mark up the full doc, or do as I was saying above to get the whole thing printed (assuming you don't have a printer at your house). I can't even tell you how many hard-copy manuals I've thrown out in my life. What a complete waste of paper, time, money, weight, shipping charges, etc. And now that the firmware is EXPECTED to change over the life of an electronics product, so are the features. And that means the manuals will need to change. So, the hard copy is no longer useful in all but the smallest percentage of cases.
Believe me, I considered the Kinkos thing....but did the page print out instead.
I've been following the Denon and Sony threads for a while now and most of the updates seem to be fixing problems, not changing operations per say. I guess I'm just showing my age and pining for the old days of manuals. Thumbing thru a pdf file just isn't the same.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm on the verge of ordering a 75X900E before they're gone (looks like the 900F is rated slightly better but also $1,200 more than the 900E at this time). Only thing that has me a little concerned is the review (rtings) says the viewing angle deteriorates at an angle. Our normal seating is 10 feet from the TV, one viewing position is direct center of the TV and the other 2 viewing positions are between 3 and 4 feet from the center position (L and R). Will the viewing angle for those other two positions have a degraded viewing angle with this set? It would be a deal breaker if the other members of the family couldn't see the image as clearly as the center position. It seems hard to believe TV's would be made that only have a 1 person (complete center) viewing field.
Less than 30° is the ideal viewing angle. It starts to degrade beyond that. I also believe the severity is exaggerated however.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Just bought this tv and have been testing it during the weekend. So far I have one big problem with it. I watch a lot of football (soccer) and mainly use chromecast Ultra to do this. The thing is that everytime someone hits the ball hard or crosses it high it kinda dissappears! It's like a ghost ball that flickers and becomes invisible. When this happens I have no idea where the ball is gonna land... Watching football on my other tv in the livingroom upstairs with the same chromecast works fine. That one is a 2014 FULLHD(60W605b). The internet speed is fine and stable on both floors. Have been tinkering with all the settings available and even factory reset the tv to no avail. Watching movies etc works fine..

Anybody of you guys have any idea what's wrong?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

Just bought this tv and have been testing it during the weekend. So far I have one big problem with it. I watch a lot of football (soccer) and mainly use chromecast Ultra to do this. The thing is that everytime someone hits the ball hard or crosses it high it kinda dissappears! It's like a ghost ball that flickers and becomes invisible.
Anybody of you guys have any idea what's wrong?
1. Did you try installing the same app on the TV directly?
2. Any other similar app from chromecast Ultra you could use?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Unless you're actually watching blank screens, this isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Believe me, I considered the Kinkos thing....but did the page print out instead.
I've been following the Denon and Sony threads for a while now and most of the updates seem to be fixing problems, not changing operations per say. I guess I'm just showing my age and pining for the old days of manuals. Thumbing thru a pdf file just isn't the same.
Years ago, and I mean in the early days of HDTV, when manuals first started to be available as a PDF, I would print it out and keep all my AV manuals in a binder next to the TV. I still kept the copy they gave me in another location, but having a 3 ring binder with all my devices' manuals located in one place meant not looking all over the place trying to remember where that manual was or this manual was, or if one even had a manual. I wouldn't always refer to it, but it sure makes it easier to find what I'm looking for.

I'd say one of the reason for a lack of depth in manuals today is most folks, myself included, don't want to spend days and weeks tweaking every setting to get it "just right". I've been content with the defaults with only minor tweaking for a few things. But that's just me. Guess I'm just turning into a crotchety old man who just wants it to work when I plug it in. :)

14741 - 14760 of 19683 Posts