AVS Forum banner

14961 - 14980 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Several of the recent posts have talked about expectations of new 4k owners and the problems they are having with cable signals looking worse than there old tvs. What I havn't heard is what the picture looks like on the Sony 900e via Dish or Direct satellite signals(i.e. Hopper 3 with HDMI out). Does the same motion, definition, blurring issues happen with those providers?
Nobody has an opinion on how the 900e looks with Dish input vs cable providers?
Somebody out there has to using the Dish Hopper 3 with this set.

·
Registered
33 Posts
An interesting note on the bias lights. I do have them, but I had to disable them. Because when the TV is turned off and they are plugged in...they will randomly turn on for 1-2 seconds. It freaked my wife out at 3am when they popped on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Anybody here notice a small faint glow about 1/2 inch that runs up each side of the bezel on their 900e? I also checked my 930e and it looks like maybe 1/4 inch not quite as profound. I’m assuming this is the nature of the beast from where these panels go together. Its just coming from plasma I seem to notice any little and all uniformity issues.

All in all, seems to be a great set thus far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

I've been listening to some SiriusXM with the internal app, but when I do so, the SXM app is displayed and it is really bright and has a lot of static images on it. I'm concerned about the possibility of some image retention if I listen for extended periods, so is there a way to turn off the display while using an app such as SiriusXM? Thanks much.
In the picture menu there is picture off setting which should turn off just the display

·
Registered
65 Posts
So I read xbox one x is getting 120hz refresh rate in 1080p and 1440p setting for displays that support it, which this one does. Anybody know what benefits that might have? Could it help with the stuttering issues that some games have?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Anybody here notice a small faint glow about 1/2 inch that runs up each side of the bezel on their 900e? I also checked my 930e and it looks like maybe 1/4 inch not quite as profound. I’m assuming this is the nature of the beast from where these panels go together. Its just coming from plasma I seem to notice any little and all uniformity issues.

It's not normal. I do not have this band around my TV display.

·
Registered
735 Posts
So I read xbox one x is getting 120hz refresh rate in 1080p and 1440p setting for displays that support it, which this one does. Anybody know what benefits that might have? Could it help with the stuttering issues that some games have?
I doubt it’ll help much if all since most games won’t be hitting anywhere near 120fps. 60 if your lucky in certain games. The real breakthrough is gonna be variable refresh rate which our TVs don’t support. I don’t see why variable refresh rates can’t be adapted to help with cadence issues either but most people say it’s for gamers only.

I could be wrong but that’s how I see it at this point in time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Remote dead?

I haven't had the best luck with this tv. I've had a hard time getting the PQ settings to where I like them. I've had some issues with it not staying connected to the internet even though it's hard wired. But I've been putting off messing with PQ because I was unhappy with the results. So tonight I try and mess with them and the remote simply doesn't work. Not a single function on it works. I tried pulling the batteries out and resetting the TV.

Any other suggestions I should try?

Thanks for your help.

PS, TV is "fine" as my Tivo can power the tv off and on. I followed the instructions on this and do not see the remote light up. https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29977/c/65,66/p/61659,95543,96663,96664/
Good luck with the remote. Should be able to get a replacement. Mine you have to point it right at the tv to work. I been struggling with settings also. Checked on pro calibration and was $500. Just to much for me to spend. Got my Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark disk yesterday. Calibrated the standard and custom. Looks pretty good now. Have not had any luck with the other modes. Not sure if just my TV but they look bad. Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts

I haven't noticed this either but will check tonight

·
Premium Member
18,274 Posts
Rico, you should reconsider the "check your cabling" advice that you often give. Those complaining about the 900E's substandard Cable TV picture quality are doing so because earlier that same day that their new 4K panel was installed the picture quality looked stellar on their old 1080p panel. Nothing happened with the cable outside their house in the 5 minutes between the old TV going out and the new TV going in.

What would be better is to just tell them the truth- the 900E, like all 4K panels, make Cable TV look worse and it's something they have to live with.
Not necessarily true. My Spectrum cable picture quality looks much better on my 55X900E than it does on my highly-regarded 1080p 55W800B, and even beats my 55ST60 Plasma in most PQ categories. Same for a friend who upgraded from a 43" Sony 1080p LCD to a UHD 49X800C a few years ago with Cox Cable. I'm very happy with the improvement at my house. My RG6 cable drop from the pole in the alley was replaced well over 20 years ago.

Having installed or setting up Plasma and LCD TVs for people all over Southern California over the years and comparing their Cable PQ to the Antenna signal (i keep Rabbit Ears in my installation tub in case they don't have an antenna), i've found that Cable signal quality varies widely from town to town. My own signal is pretty good, but at my MIL's house 10 miles away her Spectrum PQ is noticeably worse than Antenna despite recent cabling upgrades in her neighborhood. The same Plasma TV that looked great in my house was kinda grainy when i moved it to her house.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It was just a general suggestion and part of a checklist to get the best possible signal you can.

By the way - the Celtic/Buck basketball game on NBA TV is outstanding. Very, very, clear picture. If you are not getting the same results then I suspect it's a cable or satellite provider issue
Rico, first off I owe you an apology, I shouldn't be criticizing the advice you give others as you give the best advice in this thread. I feel bad I said that, I'm sorry.

Now.....I think I have some good news.....inspired by you and the opinions of others who are having minimal issues with cable content I spent 4 hours last night tweaking my settings like a madman and I think I've landed somewhere really good. Can you take a look at these and let me know your thoughts? Again, optimized for cable programming only- live sports, live news broadcasts, live latenight talk shows, NFL, MLB, NHL, Golf.

Mode:
Cinema Home
Auto Picture Mode Off
Brightness 40
Color 42
Light Sensor Off

Brightness:
Brightness 40
Contrast 95
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black Adjust High
Adv Contrast Enhancer Medium
Auto Local Dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range Off

Color:
Color 42
Hue 0
Temp Expert 1
Live Color High
Advanced Color Temp Defaults

Clarity:
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 20
Mastered in 4K Off
Random Noise Reduction Low
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Smooth Gradation Off

Motion:
Motionflow Standard
Smoothness 3
Clearness 0
CineMotion High

Video Options:
HDR Mode Auto
HDMI Range Limited
Color Space Auto

The main changes I made were to a) reduce contrast, b) reduce color, c) turn off x-tended dynamic range, d) enabled analog noise reduction. This finally helps the green grass on a baseball diamond stop vibrating like buzzing bees, the whites on baseball uniforms stop shining too brightly, and screen dooring and pixelating.

If you have a moment and since we know you have stellar cable TV sports performance, can you input these settings and let me know what it looks like on your 65" 900E?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I must have gotten two lemons in that case. I was slightly off axis that was casing it to look a 1/2 inch on 900e, I would say it’s only 1/4 and mostly noticeable in a darkened room.

You make me want go check otherled/lcd screens:)

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Rico, first off I owe you an apology, I shouldn't be criticizing the advice you give others as you give the best advice in this thread. I feel bad I said that, I'm sorry.

Now.....I think I have some good news.....inspired by you and the opinions of others who are having minimal issues with cable content I spent 4 hours last night tweaking my settings like a madman and I think I've landed somewhere really good. Can you take a look at these and let me know your thoughts? Again, optimized for cable programming only- live sports, live news broadcasts, live latenight talk shows, NFL, MLB, NHL, Golf.

Mode:
Cinema Home
Auto Picture Mode Off
Brightness 40
Color 42
Light Sensor Off

Brightness:
Brightness 40
Contrast 95
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black Adjust High
Adv Contrast Enhancer Medium
Auto Local Dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range Off

Color:
Color 42
Hue 0
Temp Expert 1
Live Color High
Advanced Color Temp Defaults

Clarity:
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 20
Mastered in 4K Off
Random Noise Reduction Low
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Smooth Gradation Off

Motion:
Motionflow Standard
Smoothness 3
Clearness 0
CineMotion High

Video Options:
HDR Mode Auto
HDMI Range Limited
Color Space Auto

The main changes I made were to a) reduce contrast, b) reduce color, c) turn off x-tended dynamic range, d) enabled analog noise reduction. This finally helps the green grass on a baseball diamond stop vibrating like buzzing bees, the whites on baseball uniforms stop shining too brightly, and screen dooring and pixelating.

If you have a moment and since we know you have stellar cable TV sports performance, can you input these settings and let me know what it looks like on your 65" 900E?
Boltjames - no problema. Lots of great advice from many participants on this thread including yourself.

As far as your settings go - - they look fine to me. I hesitate to change anything on my sets as I'm dialed in, I think, to the best picture I can get right now and I've been enjoying the various sports and TV shows including Amazon Prime & Netflix streaming. (Shows like "The Blacklist," "The Americans," "Billions" and many streaming movies & series from Amazon Prime & Netflix).

Here's the kicker - - at least to me....source content is the number one variable we all face. And by that, I mean your cable or satellite provider. That is where most of the variances occur. Streaming wise - - I think everyone can agree that the content and picture quality is pretty good as long as you have a decent internet connection. Same for an "OTA" signal - - most of us agree that it looks great on our Sony 900E's.

Cable and satellite sources and their quality can vary widely. Once you eliminate the other variables that you can control like the strength of your signal, your cables (adequate high speed cables) and cable/satellite settings (let your Sony 900E do all the "upscaling") - - you get down to what works best for your individual situation. And personal preferences - - what pleases your eyes is what counts here. No right or wrong setting, IMHO, outside of extremes on either side.

You are dead on in that older 1080P TV's handle inferior signals better than 4K TV's that magnify signal imperfections on their way to being upscaled to 4K. But I think you can get close - real close to what you had with your 1080P TV and far exceed it with a quality 4K or 4K/HDR source. And even plain old Blurays as upscaled by your Sony 900E look fantastic.

Sometimes we take a couple steps forward and a step back with technology.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Okay, I used to be able to keep up with this thread post to post, but wowzers, it’s a popular one...

What settings are people using for their Netflix non-HDR content for their Xbox/ PS4 apps?

As you may know, Netflix has HDR always on for the two consoles and it is making sdr (including 4K content like Narcos) look terrible.

Example. I was watching Narcos and during dark scenes all the blacks are crushed and the detail is lost. I was using my Cinema Home, which thought it was in HDR and it was ****. I messed around and turned black levels up to about 90 and what do you know, I could actually see detail, but obviously this created other issues, not to mention messes up my settings when I play true HDR content.

I’m thinking of setting up Custom as my Netflix sdr default. You guys messing with this at all and getting reasonable results? I tried turning HDR from auto to Off, but still will have to tweak the other settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my example

Non HDR content on Netflix app forcing HDR. Cinema Home

Me jacking the black levels way up to get the details back but a washed out image.

I did end up getting Custom dialed in to looks pretty good (not the pic above). I kept comparing to the my other true HDR content go-to setting. In overly dark or light scenes the typical Cinema Home/ Pro settings are damn near black screens or eye scorching.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I must have gotten two lemons in that case. I was slightly off axis that was casing it to look a 1/2 inch on 900e, I would say it’s only 1/4 and mostly noticeable in a darkened room.

You make me want go check otherled/lcd screens:)
I have noticed on my 65x900e this same band you have described...but it's only on the left side of the screen. It is very faint and you are right, it extends only 1/2" along the entire vertical but I don't think anything about it as it is only noticeable on dark scenes.

After hearing about some of the horror stories with "panel lotteries", dealing with Sony customer service or replacement sets I can live with it.

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
Good luck with the remote. Should be able to get a replacement. Mine you have to point it right at the tv to work. I been struggling with settings also. Checked on pro calibration and was $500. Just to much for me to spend. Got my Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark disk yesterday. Calibrated the standard and custom. Looks pretty good now. Have not had any luck with the other modes. Not sure if just my TV but they look bad. Good luck.
You have to look at the value of your TV for sure when considering calibration. 55X900E at $1000, $500 to calibrate is probably not worth it. 75X900E at $2500, now you have to think about it.....

14961 - 14980 of 19683 Posts