AVS Forum banner

15001 - 15020 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
You have to look at the value of your TV for sure when considering calibration. 55X900E at $1000, $500 to calibrate is probably not worth it. 75X900E at $2500, now you have to think about it.....
I kind of thought the 900e was one of the better calibrated TVs out the box anyway from everything I’ve read. I think putting $500 in a calibration would be a hard squeeze but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anybody here notice a small faint glow about 1/2 inch that runs up each side of the bezel on their 900e? I also checked my 930e and it looks like maybe 1/4 inch not quite as profound. I’m assuming this is the nature of the beast from where these panels go together. Its just coming from plasma I seem to notice any little and all uniformity issues.

All in all, seems to be a great set thus far.
I have noticed this too but the faint band I am seeing is between 1/2 inch to 1 inch wide...funny thing is I exchanged 3 TVs and all of them have exhibited this to some extent. It's less pronounced on the current one I have, but it's still there...only noticeable on certain dark scenes such as dark blue or dark brown...also see it on a white background. The problem is, now I am looking for it all the time. I am on the fence if I should to return the TV as I am still within my return window or just live with it. It's just this issue, otherwise it's a great TV. It is my belief now that all the TVs have this band to some extent - it's just more pronounced on some TVs than others.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have noticed this too but the faint band I am seeing is between 1/2 inch to 1 inch wide...funny thing is I exchanged 3 TVs and all of them have exhibited this to some extent. It's less pronounced on the current one I have, but it's still there...only noticeable on certain dark scenes such as dark blue or dark brown...also see it on a white background. The problem is, now I am looking for it all the time. I am on the fence if I should to return the TV as I am still within my return window or just live with it. It's just this issue, otherwise it's a great TV. It is my belief now that all the TVs have this band to some extent - it's just more pronounced on some TVs than others.
You pretty much have to get your magnifying glass out to see this very faint band on my 930e, there but almost non-existent. I can see it more clearly on the 900e and as I pointed out earlier it looks to be equally running up both sides. Moving off axis and centering back up can effect how wide and narrow this band gets. I do agree that it is most likely on all these sets.

On a side note, I’m glad mine is equally matching both sides. One side only would really offset my OCD.:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've had it happen on my 930E, usually just during the evening news. I do a restart and it's fine.
Interesting. I admit I haven't tried that which is pretty silly of me (troubleshooting step 1), but I've seen the issue since before the latest firmware upgrade and I know the TV goes through a full restart after that. I'll try it as soon as I get home. Maybe it's one of those things where you just have to concede to have to unplug the tv periodically to keep issues like this at bay. I'll report back after. Appreciate the input.
So it looks like this actually made a difference. It didn't fix it per-say but it has been about 3+ hours since I've power cycled the TV and it's only done it once so far, at least that I've seen (it's of course, possible it could have flickered during the occasional moments I take my eyes off the TV to get a drink, take a piss, etc). Where before it was doing it every few minutes (between every 5-10 mins, randomly) making it so you couldn't miss it if you're watching for it.

Chalk it up to another example of the Android OS doing this TV no favors, I guess. As a long time Android phone user myself, it makes sense it's the culprit. I prefer Android 100x more than iOS but even the most diehard android user has to admit, though they've come a long ways since the early days (my first being an HTC Evo), they can certainly still be quite buggy at times. :rolleyes: I can only assume it's some sort of background android app doing something that it's not suppose to --Which reminds me of a suggestion I read, perhaps on this massive thread, to disable the TV's internet connection in order to make the OS feel snappier. Perhaps it would also prevent or at least limit this issue too. Time to give that a try. Anyway, thanks iraweiss. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
So it looks like this actually made a difference. It didn't fix it per-say but it has been about 3+ hours since I've power cycled the TV and it's only done it once so far, at least that I've seen (it's of course, possible it could have flickered during the occasional moments I take my eyes off the TV to get a drink, take a piss, etc). Where before it was doing it every few minutes (between every 5-10 mins, randomly) making it so you couldn't miss it if you're watching for it.

Chalk it up to another example of the Android OS doing this TV no favors, I guess. As a long time Android phone user myself, it makes sense it's the culprit. I prefer Android 100x more than iOS but even the most diehard android user has to admit, though they've come a long ways since the early days (my first being an HTC Evo), they can certainly still be quite buggy at times. :rolleyes: I can only assume it's some sort of background android app doing something that it's not suppose to --Which reminds me of a suggestion I read, perhaps on this massive thread, to disable the TV's internet connection in order to make the OS feel snappier. Perhaps it would also prevent or at least limit this issue too. Time to give that a try. Anyway, thanks iraweiss. :)
As crazy as this thread is, I just ordered a 49" 900E for my home office. It will arrive Friday. Call me crazy, but I absolutely love my 75" 900E.

Hopefully I will have the same wonderful experience with this one too. Sony hit the bullseye I think.

Sorry KWV, I actually meant to post, not quote.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Could any X900E owner help for testing motion flow using built-in youtube app?
https://youtu.be/vLZcjhMuA1I?t=2m14s
Starting from 2:14 and ending at 2:33

I am asking this because there is a lot of complain on X900E about motion flow on football in a Hong Kong forum(in a kind of SonyTV megathread).
When motion flow is on(standard/smooth/custom with 1-3), the ball is either blinking or gone during “long pass".
The only way to solve that issue is to disable motion flow.
You could see the video capture from the TV here(mute if you wanted)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-fRKQRfuapgUG9BVUVOY2NpUFk/view

While my X930E seems to have no issue even when motionflow is on.(mute if you wanted)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12OkKYvyO0cJzqC5Umr7lFmv3WRwHwITQ

I am just thinking could that be a firmware issue(or even a bug for Hong Kong firmware only)?
Or is it a bug for motionflow in 25 Hz Content for X900E?
Most of the review just claim that X900E have one of the best motion handling available in consumer tv market,
and I thought the only difference between 900e and 930e in motion aspect is the panel response time.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi,

Could any X900E owner help for testing motion flow using built-in youtube app?
https://youtu.be/vLZcjhMuA1I?t=2m14s
Starting from 2:14 and ending at 2:33

I am asking this because there is a lot of complain on X900E about motion flow on football in a Hong Kong forum(in a kind of SonyTV megathread).
When motion flow is on(standard/smooth/custom with 1-3), the ball is either blinking or gone during “long pass".
The only way to solve that issue is to disable motion flow.
You could see the video capture from the TV here(mute if you wanted)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-fRKQRfuapgUG9BVUVOY2NpUFk/view

While my X930E seems to have no issue even when motionflow is on.(mute if you wanted)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12OkKYvyO0cJzqC5Umr7lFmv3WRwHwITQ

I am just thinking could that be a firmware issue(or even a bug for Hong Kong firmware only)?
Or is it a bug for motionflow in 25 Hz Content for X900E?
Most of the review just claim that X900E have one of the best motion handling available in consumer tv market,
and I thought the only difference between 900e and 930e in motion aspect is the panel response time.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
It is mentioned in
too (at 10m46s, sorry for it being German though). He basically says that it is indeed a problem of low frame rate content (like 25fps) and that the X1 (like in 900E) suffers more from the issue than X1 Extreme (900F, 930E).

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is mentioned in this video too (at 10m46s, sorry for it being German though). He basically says that it is indeed a problem of low frame rate content (like 25fps) and that the X1 (like in 900E) suffers more from the issue than X1 Extreme (900F, 930E).
Thanks for pointing out.
I saw this video before, but I don't speak/understand German(and I try the English translated subtitle, but fail to understand what he say either, lol), therefore I missed the detail on it.
So,it seems that it is really a problem on the X1 chip.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can always go into the service menu and disable all of the Android apps you don't use.
Supposed to speed up the operation of the 900e.

Reactions: KVW

·
Registered
83 Posts
I received my new Spears and Munsil Disk. These are the settings I got from using the disk. The standard and custom are about the same and the Cinema's are about the same.

Custom

Brightness 30
Contrast 80
Gamma 0
Black level 57
Black Adjust High
Adv Contrast High
Auto dimming High

Color 60
Hue 0
Color temp Cool
Live Color off

Cinema Pro

Brightness 30
Contrast Max
Gamma 0
Black level 50
Black Adjust High
Adv Contrast High
Auto dimming High

Color 52
Hue R2
Color temp Cool
Live Color off

I am not liking the Cinema's much. Seems pretty dark and dull color. Will trying watching at these settings and adjust as I go.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My 49-900E wouldn't turn-on this morning. I unplugged it and re-plugged it in and it turned on at the Android start-up screen and then started working after that. Is this normal?

·
Registered
669 Posts
You pretty much have to get your magnifying glass out to see this very faint band on my 930e, there but almost non-existent. I can see it more clearly on the 900e and as I pointed out earlier it looks to be equally running up both sides. Moving off axis and centering back up can effect how wide and narrow this band gets. I do agree that it is most likely on all these sets.

On a side note, I’m glad mine is equally matching both sides. One side only would really offset my OCD.:D
It's on my 900E too, barely.

Only saw it playing monitor test images.

·
Registered
669 Posts
It's a relief it's not just me. That stucco vibration is what the green infield grass looks like on every shot from centerfield on YES Yankees games, same for NFL Football on FOX, same for Golf on NBC, drives me crazy, can't get rid of it. My new settings that I posted this morning in this thread helped, but it's still there.
I watched the Indians/Cubs game last night and for a while it was on two channels: ESPN and Fox Sports.

Although the angles were different with two different camera crews the Fox looked a little clearer to me. I compared the grass on the pictures on the two channels on both my 930E and a Samsung UN46EH5300 1080 p set. In all cases the grass was more like a blob than individual leaves.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
My 75" was delivered yesterday. Spent some time setting it up and dialing the picture in using a few youtube videos. Planet Earth II was my first choice. Wow awesome tv. I seriously jaw dropped coming from a 65" 850D. The 850 isn't even in the same league as the 900 series. I was stressed over getting a good panel for the last two weeks. TV picture looks flawless. I am extremely happy.

Reactions: Ricoflashback

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rico (and anyone else with a 900E) can you please go to YouTube using the built-in app and watch this video on your 900E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxP-DuBaBw

No, not because of the review of the 900E, forget that. Please look at the white stucco ceiling in the upper left corner and let me know if you see what I see- which is a motionless image that is vibrating like a swarm of bees, all pixelated, looks like a screen door even though the camera isn't moving.

Perhaps I have a defective panel but this white stucco ceiling looking like a vibrating blur is what I'm experiencing and it's making me crazy.

If you (and others too, please) could watch this video on the YouTube app built-in to your 900E's and let me know if you see the same thing it would help me greatly.
What I see are compression artifacts. This is because Youtube compresses the video for streaming. Actually the video is compressed twice because the upload was compressed when he saved the video to upload, then youtube compressed it again when they processed it for streaming. This exacerbates the problem. With a complex image like stucco, the compression algorithm gets overtaxed.

I also saw the stucco vibrating on my 55" 900 E as well. Will check my 65" 930 E later but I checked on in a 24" LG 1080p TV I use as a monitor and saw something if I looked real close. I then checked in on a Samsung UN46EH5300 1080p set and it looked even worse. I also saw it on my 930E. Interestingly, after pausing the playback the ceiling image was either partially there or all there. Not sure how much of the problem is in the video itself, camera or how TV's deal with that kind of object.
It's all related to the video. No matter how many settings you change the issue will still be there. This is a case of garbage in --> garbage out. Same issue can be seen with many cable TV systems where certain channels are more horribly compressed than others, but every channel has the same compression artifacts if you look closely -especially when the camera pans, or the inage is very complex. As a secondary effect colors can be washed out slightly with higher compression. Every video you watch/stream/download is compressed to some point. I see the flaws in every single thing I watch. I have learned to ignore it, but when I do see a good clean video I appreciate it for sure.

This article on compression artifacts might be of interest: http://blog.biamp.com/understanding-video-compression-artifacts/

I do video work as part of my job. When I do post editing I often need to save the file at a higher bitrate to avoid too many compression artifacts. It's the nature of the beast. That reminds me, I actually have to do some videos this morning. Ugh...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not even a hint of it on my TV. Then again, my TV is a year old. So maybe all the new ones do have it, and the 900E is no longer a good buy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not liking the Cinema's much. Seems pretty dark and dull color. Will trying watching at these settings and adjust as I go.
I purchased my 49x900e a week ago and have been messing with the settings a lot over the last week, and I think agree with you on this one. I have decided to use the custom. One thing I noticed, was using cinema pro or home with the same settings as my custom setting I lost a lot of detail. Nothing I could do (don't have calibration tools) could get those details to show. I was watching the pregame for the Leafs/Bruins game on NBCSports and I that is really when I noticed the difference. The details in the suits is where I really saw it stand out.

Anyways, here are the settings I am running with, and very happy. This is for Non HDR. I prefer a little bit of color pop, which is why I turned Live Color to low. Adds just a bit of extra saturation without looking too bad.

PICTURE
Picture Mode Custom
Auto Picture Mode Off
Brightness 25
Color 60
Light Sensor Off

BRIGHTNESS
Brightness 25
Contrast 92
Gamma 0
Black Level 49
Black Adjust Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Auto Local Dimming High
X-Tended Dynamic Range Medium

COLOR
Color 60
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm
Adv. Color Temperature
Live Color Low

CLARITY
Sharpness 52
Reality Creation Off
Random noise reduction Off
Digital noise reduction Off
Smooth gradiation Low

MOTION
Motionflow True Cinema
Cinemtion Medium

VIDEO
HDR Mode Auto
HDMI Video Range Auto
Color Space Auto

·
Registered
928 Posts
I received my new Spears and Munsil Disk. These are the settings I got from using the disk. The standard and custom are about the same and the Cinema's are about the same.

Custom

Brightness 30
Contrast 80
Gamma 0
Black level 57
Black Adjust High
Adv Contrast High
Auto dimming High

Color 60
Hue 0
Color temp Cool
Live Color off

Cinema Pro

Brightness 30
Contrast Max
Gamma 0
Black level 50
Black Adjust High
Adv Contrast High
Auto dimming High

Color 52
Hue R2
Color temp Cool
Live Color off

If you try using a flashing black bar pattern for setting your black levels, you're going to see the TV doing some funky things with the contrast levels. Which makes me question what it's doing to actual video content as the image changes. The TV will never react fast enough and you will likely see the contrast levels shift if you look carefully. I've seen it, so I always turn off black adjust and Adv Contrast.

Cinema Pro is meant for watching in the dark. It's actually pretty good in this environment. Use Cinema Home for daytime viewing. If you find any mode too dark it can be corrected by moving the black level slider higher.

I'll post my settings later tonight. I'm really happy with the way I have it dialed in now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had my 900e for a few days now and just cant shake the slight glowing in the corners even with local dimming set to high like on my 930e. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I was noticing it even during my witcher 3 play through last night. Ill have to test out some more games, before I get "worried". Just curious If any more recent buyers have seen this. Ill take some pics If i notice it on more games tonight/tomorrow. Also whats everyone setting their brightness to for HDR mode? Thanks

15001 - 15020 of 19683 Posts