AVS Forum banner

19641 - 19660 of 19785 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks. One of the things I am looking for something portable, and something that supports SlingPlayer. So that when I go to a family member's house, I can easily bring this device, launch SlingPlayer, then connect to my SlingBox on their TV.

(I can also use a web browser and launch SlingPlayer on that, but the TV is a better experience).

If not a Fire Stick, then do you think an Apple TV would be better?

These are the supported devices for SlingPlayer.

http://support.slingbox.com/en/KB/KB-2000539.aspx

Most of what I watch is 720 or 1080, and for that, I am fine with my current setup of either Tivo or a few apps like Fox Sports; HBO Go, etc.

However, I do have a few 4K movies on Google Play. After rolling back the version to the factory installed one of Google Play, 99% of my playback issues were solved. But I'd like to see if I could still improve on that, hence seeing if an external streamer would be better for that 4K content.

apple tv would work, but you dont need to spend that kind of money to get what you want.

roku makes all different versions of their devices.

apple and a roku stick would BOTH suffice for your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
apple tv would work, but you dont need to spend that kind of money to get what you want.

roku makes all different versions of their devices.

apple and a roku stick would BOTH suffice for your situation.

Roku stopped supporting SlingPlayer (not Sling TV) about a year ago. That's why I linked to the current supported devices above for SlingPlayer. I use SlingPlayer to connect to my SlingBox.

·
Registered
165 Posts
@nuraman00 @groove93

The CPU power itself has nothing to do with video processing power, fortunately.

The video processor inside the MediaTek SoC is a separate fixed-function hardware much more powerful for video decoding than A53 cores.
Sony X900E is capable of [email protected] video decoding of VP9 8bit/10bit even using HDR due to the video processor not the CPU.

If a specific codec like AV1 is not supported in HW, don't expect ARM CPUs - even the strongest - to be able to decode it in 4K resolution at 60fps.
There is no chance.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Fully aware of the displays video capabilities, but the OS performance compared to the Sheild and newer Sony Models is still pretty poor. It's night and Day when compared to the Shield.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
But that's different.
General purpose workloads like the OS performance are based on CPU performance and Sony X900E has a slow processor as we all know.
I ran an AnTuTu Lite v8.0.3 and the score was around 50.000

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
It's the difference between wanting to watch a movie on Netflix waiting for the app to load because of the slow response between your remote, whether it be the Sony Remote or a Universal, and the smooth quick response of performing the same task on the Shield and other components. At a point you have to separate the Geekdom of all of this and put yourself in the place of a Joe Six Pack. If they are not aware of better performance from another device, then so be it. But if they're exposed to a product that performs much faster and smoother, that's gonna stick with them.

Back in 2017 prior to purchasing this TV, I read all of the positive reviews about the video/image quality, but the poor OS performance was always there as well. Considering I had a Shield with the same OS, I personally did not believe that aspect of the reviews. Then I got the TV, and to my surprise, it was pretty bad compared to the Shield. Therefore, my 2015 Shield has always been to go-to interface for my TV.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You still seem to ignore or misunderstand that all your above post is for another issue.
That issue is bigger than we talk about, but different.
It is very important for Average Joe and everyone else to understand that a slow CPU can have a decent or even fast video processor.
For video decoding Sony X900E is one of those decent cases, leveraging almost any popular codec at 4K60fps.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You still seem to ignore or misunderstand that all your above post is for another issue.
That issue is bigger than we talk about, but different.
It is very important for Average Joe and everyone else to understand that a slow CPU can have a decent or even fast video processor.
For video decoding Sony X900E is one of those decent cases, leveraging almost any popular codec at 4K60fps.
Still, a slow, laggy OS makes for a poor overall experience. The use of an external device, with a more responsive interface, makes the overall use of the setup more enjoyable.

Here's where both of the situations being described intersect though...

External streaming devices generally force the upscaling to happen on the device, removing the TV from the equation. The Sony has an EXCELLENT upscaling engine and its abilities are completely lost when using an external device to drive the panel. What's worse is the use of a device that outputs low resolution content in 1080 forcing a double upscale. It looks horrendous.

So, while the CPU has no issue with actual rendering of content, its inability to provide a useful interface for the consumer drives people to use external devices. And the PQ suffers as a result (and this is why I hate external streaming devices - they do not support pass-through resolution).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Roku stopped supporting SlingPlayer (not Sling TV) about a year ago. That's why I linked to the current supported devices above for SlingPlayer. I use SlingPlayer to connect to my SlingBox.

my apologies.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Back in 2017 prior to purchasing this TV, I read all of the positive reviews about the video/image quality, but the poor OS performance was always there as well. Considering I had a Shield with the same OS, I personally did not believe that aspect of the reviews. Then I got the TV, and to my surprise, it was pretty bad compared to the Shield. Therefore, my 2015 Shield has always been to go-to interface for my TV.

Sony has loaded up the OS with so much spyware, data hoovering, and other general garbage that I'm surprised the set can do anything. You can turn some of that off, but if you go to check a week later, it has all been turned back on again. Hateful. The set's lazy response to its poorly designed short range remote is indicative of how it devotes more time to stealing your data than being a display device.

The 900e has very nice images and true 120Hz refresh, which are the reasons I bought it. But I'm in the market for a new 77" OLED (my 65" LG E6 is now approaching being four years old) and the Sony OLED line with its burdened Android TV was not part of the consideration. I will only put up with that trashy behavior once from a manufacturer, especially after I've seen how snappy a non data hoovering version of Android TV can be on my new Shield Pro. I know the Sony OLEDs have better motion handling than the LGs because I've seen it, but that's not enough of a benefit to go through another three to six years carrying the weight of Sony's version of Android TV.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
The OS on the TV compared to the Shield, plus or minus a few app features here and there, are pretty identical. You can disable the Samba service and the other requested services found in this very thread, but that still won't improve the performance compared to the Shield. Although there were some improvements in performance through Updates in the last few years, it's still not enough.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The OS on the TV compared to the Shield, plus or minus a few app features here and there, are pretty identical. You can disable the Samba service and the other requested services found in this very thread, but that still won't improve the performance compared to the Shield. Although there were some improvements in performance through Updates in the last few years, it's still not enough.

Aren't you really just reiterating two key complaints about this set that have been there from the very beginning? An under-powered CPU combined with a bloated OS?

The Shield doesn't run the -exact- same OS. Only the bare-bones pieces of the operating system are present before the vendors add in their stuff. Sony's focus on spying on the consumer as a way to generate additional revenue (they sell your stats) means that they are forcing the TV to run processes that gather and transmit that data and those processes use memory and CPU that could otherwise be available for the OS.

Look at the Windows operating system... When the machine is brand new, it's generally pretty snappy. But every time you update something or install something new to "customize it," you are slowing it down. Eventually, it gets to the point where it runs horribly.

Sony is a full Windows desktop with Microsoft Office, antivirus, and Adobe photo processing software running while the Shield is more like "just Windows" with Notepad++ installed. In other words, all the custom add-on stuff that Sony has done, which is more than what nVidia has done, is what drags this set down to a crawl. It's also why I prefer sets with actual vendor-written firmware and no "smarts" installed.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
That's the entire point. But people want to bring up the video performance this and that, rather than the interface. To the average consumer, who cares if the video quality is great when you can barely get around the OS because of its laggy performance.

Nobody talks about colorspace in the Walmart AV section, do they?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

Samba is one of the useless spyware services on my 900E I was referring to, where you turn it off, and a week later it magically turns itself on again. That behavior is just unacceptable. And there are several like that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nice discussion this morning on video processing, OS, and how external streamers don't support passthrough resolution.

One more question.

Are the X1 Processor and the Cortex-A53 the same thing?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Samba is one of the useless spyware services on my 900E I was referring to, where you turn it off, and a week later it magically turns itself on again. That behavior is just unacceptable. And there are several like that.
I have never had Samba turn itself on after I disabled it within a month of purchasing my 900E and I do check regularly. What other spyware services are there that you turn off?

The latest Android update is definitely more responsive than the original version shipped with the 900E.

As to the Wal-Mart shoppers, does Wal-Mart even sell mid-range or above Sony TVs? Most Wal-Mart shoppers are shopping price only and have no idea how responsive or not the underlying OS is.

Reactions: sheshechic

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I have never had Samba turn itself on after I disabled it within a month of purchasing my 900E and I do check regularly. What other spyware services are there that you turn off?

In the first couple of months I had the set, I turned Samba off at least 3 or 4 times, and it just kept re-enabling itself, and I finally gave up. As for the others, it's been two years and I no longer remember what else I tried turning off. I had found a couple of articles and a YouTube video and followed the instructions. I know everything steals data now, justifying it with the bullfeces that otherwise the product would cost a lot more. Samsung, in particular, is so addicted to stealing everything that if you should dare deny it network access (thus sacrificing its 'smart' features), it will obnoxiously and non-stop put a banner up on your screen every few moments complaining that it has lost network access. A friend had that issue, and we couldn't find a way to disable it.

The latest Android update is definitely more responsive than the original version shipped with the 900E.
I agree to some extent, but I didn't know how awful it still was until I got an Nvidia Shield Pro also running Android TV and saw what an optimized OS without endless garbage actually felt like. It's speed and responsiveness is leagues beyond the Sony. Don't mistake me - I really like the pictures on my 49" 900E, but I would never buy another Sony running that OS.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The 900e has very nice images and true 120Hz refresh, which are the reasons I bought it. But I'm in the market for a new 77" OLED (my 65" LG E6 is now approaching being four years old) and the Sony OLED line with its burdened Android TV was not part of the consideration.
Speaking of OLEDs, when I was TV shopping in 2018, I had a hard requirement that it had to be less than 44" wide, due to where I was wall mounting the TV.

I did not see any OLEDs which met this requirement, so I had to look at 48-51" TVs which did fit this requirement.

I see now there is a Sony A9S which is coming soon, a 47.6" OLED.

And LG has a 48CXPUB that's out now.

For those of you that have both this thread's Sony XBR900E, and an OLED, how is the motion blur?

This Sony TV is still a limited use TV, partly because it's upstairs.

But also, I think my plasma TV does a better job with motion blur, especially when it comes to sports. It's not bad with this Sony TV, but every now and then it is noticeable.

19641 - 19660 of 19785 Posts