AVS Forum banner

19681 - 19700 of 19775 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't know what you're using for a streaming device, but like CBS All Access, it seems the Peacock app is only capable of delivering two channel audio on devices that use Android TV (or a subset thereof like the Amazon Fire devices do). Three out of four of my streaming devices only deliver stereo audio, while Disney+ and Netflix do just fine with DD, DD+, and Atmos.

I tried very hard over weeks to get CBSAA 'support' to acknowledge the problem and suggest they were working on a fix, and it was a painfully frustrating experience. So yesterday I cancelled the service. I'm not paying $10/month for a service where the provider is too stupid to understand current delivery standards, and thinks that HD with two channel audio is worth $10/month in 2020. Just pathetic.

I won't even mention the stupidity of the CBS app never remembering what I've watched, and no matter what show I select, always offering to play Season 1 Episode 1, forcing me to back track and manipulate around to figure out what episode is next for me. They don't seem to grasp the concept at all. I suppose that's what comes from making money hand over fist for many decades while running a four company monopoly (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox).
I'm streaming Peacock through the native Android app on the 900E.

So that's two major broadcast networks that have ventured into streaming without properly addressing audio.

Is the problem due to improper programming by the networks when creating the app or lack of standards from Android?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I'm streaming Peacock through the native Android app on the 900E.

So that's two major broadcast networks that have ventured into streaming without properly addressing audio.

Is the problem due to improper programming by the networks when creating the app or lack of standards from Android?
Since Netflix and Amazon and Disney+ don't have a problem releasing apps that are capable of streaming multi-channel audio on Android TV platforms, I suggest the problem is a combination of arrogance and stupidity on the part of the broadcast networks, who have never quite gotten over having had monopolies for a very long time and giving viewers whatever they felt like giving them.

But it's a new day, and believing that end users will pay a monthly fee for whatever they feel like sending out is proving to be incorrect (at least in my case) - I cancelled CBS AA because they're idiots. The interesting thing is, CBS AA did manage to release an app on the AppleTV4K platform that supports multi channel audio, so it's not like they don't get it. They just don't care. I'm not giving $10/moth to an outfit that is so stupidly cavalier.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Since Netflix and Amazon and Disney+ don't have a problem releasing apps that are capable of streaming multi-channel audio on Android TV platforms, I suggest the problem is a combination of arrogance and stupidity on the part of the broadcast networks, who have never quite gotten over having had monopolies for a very long time and giving viewers whatever they felt like giving them.

But it's a new day, and believing that end users will pay a monthly fee for whatever they feel like sending out is proving to be incorrect (at least in my case) - I cancelled CBS AA because they're idiots. The interesting thing is, CBS AA did manage to release an app on the AppleTV4K platform that supports multi channel audio, so it's not like they don't get it. They just don't care. I'm not giving $10/moth to an outfit that is so stupidly cavalier.
I will not pay ANY network directly for their programming since they will charge me money AND show me ads. Nope. Double-dipping just like the cable companies.

OTA and Plex for DVR with COMMSKIP as part of the Plex Pass features.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I will not pay ANY network directly for their programming since they will charge me money AND show me ads. Nope. Double-dipping just like the cable companies.

CBS All Access doesn't do that with their $10/mo subscription.

And you'll love the new Peacock service from NBC, where for $10/mo you can see everything commercial free*.

*And when we here at Peacock say "Commercial free", what we actually mean is that some content will still have commercials.

Gotta say, it takes some serious stones to offer a service that you state is ad-free for $10/mo with a small disclaimer saying "Oh, yeah, just kidding. Some content even at the highest level of monthly payment will have ads."

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
CBS All Access doesn't do that with their $10/mo subscription.

And you'll love the new Peacock service from NBC, where for $10/mo you can see everything commercial free*.

*And when we here at Peacock say "Commercial free", what we actually mean is that some content will still have commercials.

Gotta say, it takes some serious stones to offer a service that you state is ad-free for $10/mo with a small disclaimer saying "Oh, yeah, just kidding. Some content even at the highest level of monthly payment will have ads."
Read
My
Lips

OTA, DVR, COMMSKIP

:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Weird image lag / blurring on blu-ray?

I've had my 900E for just about 2 years and never really had any issues with it. All content looked fantastic including Blu-ray and 4k Blu-ray content. I use it daily for netflix, hulu, and regular tv but hadn't watched a blu-ray for several months on it. I rented "crimes of Grindlewald" and didn't really notice anything until a scene with fog. I first noticed the issue when looking at their faces. It was almost like their features lagged behind their motion by a millisecond or something. The frame rate seemed a bit laggy and I noticed the screen shaking as the camera would pan left or right. The picture just didn't look as sharp as it should have. 4k content on discs still looks great, as does HD streamed content. This issue only seems to be present on 1080p Blu Ray discs, and wasn't there before. I watched Avengers: Endgame last night on Blu-Ray and was just straight up annoyed as facial features seemed to have an almost soft-focus on them and that weird lag was still there as was the bad shaking when the camera panned.

I'd seen something about an update screwing 24p content for this series of TV's but I'm not sure what to to fix it. Now that I've seen this issue occurring I can't stop seeing it when watching a movie.
Hope what I typed made sense. This is thoroughly annoying as almost all of the library is still 1080p blu ray stuff.
Been a while since I checked back here. Has anyone else experienced this issue lately? I had some friends over and we watched that Terminator: Dark Fate. There was a scene where they are riding on top of a train in a very dark scene. There was so much ghosting and stuttery blur when the one woman moved around that I was feeling nauseous. Like I said in the original post, it seems to be ONLY blu-ray content this happens to. My player is UBP-X800 and I've got it on HDMI 2 connected directly to the TV.

Any tips I might try? I was going to factory reset the tv and see if that helps as it didn't do this before some past firmware update. It started after that. Maybe try my old blu ray player I've got sitting in a closet to check if the X800 is acting up? I'm going to switch out the hdmi cable just for the heck of it as well.

This is driving me nuts, lol as I'm sure you can all relate. My guests ofcourse don't notice but to me it looks so nasty.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Do you guys still get firmware updates?

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Android 8 so not the latest.

It runs very well on the older SOC in the 900e, much better than Android 7 did.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
8.0.0 is the latest for this TV.

I rarely use the TVs interface but noticed the new Content presentation on the main screen is now available.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
625 Posts
So, Sony will stop supporting older models at some time. It’s a shame you pay all this money and then you will be forgotten.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
So, Sony will stop supporting older models at some time. It’s a shame you pay all this money and then you will be forgotten.
All manufacturers eventually drop support for older models. We are still getting firmware updates. Android 8 works well and you don't need firmware updates to add support for new services like some other O/S need.

Is Samsung, Visio, TCL or Hisense still releasing new operating systems or firmware updates for 4 year old TVs?

·
Registered
625 Posts
All manufacturers eventually drop support for older models. We are still getting firmware updates. Android 8 works well and you don't need firmware updates to add support for new services like some other O/S need.

Is Samsung, Visio, TCL or Hisense still releasing new operating systems or firmware updates for 4 year old TVs?
I’m not accusing Sony, And not sure about other companies. I was wondering because soon I’ll get 2019 85X950G and wanted to know for how long Sony will support the model.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Settings, About

Then you'll see the system Software Update
Device Name
Status
Version number

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anybody notice some new google ads that have been added toward the top of the main menu on the home screen? I originally thought the TV's had automatically updated but they are still on my last known firmware.

I also notice this on the 930e and 900f.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Reactions: Majcric

·
Registered
211 Posts
19681 - 19700 of 19775 Posts