AVS Forum banner

19861 - 19880 of 19912 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Another android casualty, I see. Is what it is. I'm of the if it ain't broke, don't fix it school and...it actually works.

If only Apple made some sort of tv streaming box that was reliable, we wouldn't have to use the embedded crap O.S.'s for our streaming needs. Wait a minute!

Cheers and happy holidays
AndroidTV is not just a streaming platform built into the TV. It's also the TV's actual operating system. Most TVs are now just computers with a display, and need an OS to function. Note that when you cold start the TV, it's AndroidTV that initially loads and puts up a logo.

·
Registered
329 Posts
AndroidTV is not just a streaming platform built into the TV. It's also the TV's actual operating system. Most TVs are now just computers with a display, and need an OS to function. Note that when you cold start the TV, it's AndroidTV that initially loads and puts up a logo.
Right you are. My point of view is to have the android os do as little as possible so as not to corrupt it, hence, no streaming, no apps, nothing other than its basic operation of the telly. I've only updated my 900f once when I first got it a year ago, and so far so good. I've even went as far as disabling the wifi after the initial update.

Unsure if my path with this is good or not, just sharing. Nice plan on the 77 oled, almost went that way myself. Two things got in the way, wanted those 8 extra inches on my 85 and sticker shock.

Best!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Right you are. My point of view is to have the android os do as little as possible so as not to corrupt it, hence, no streaming, no apps, nothing other than its basic operation of the telly. I've only updated my 900f once when I first got it a year ago, and so far so good. I've even went as far as disabling the wifi after the initial update.

Unsure if my path with this is good or not, just sharing. Nice plan on the 77 oled, almost went that way myself. Two things got in the way, wanted those 8 extra inches on my 85 and sticker shock.

Best!
Aside from trying out an app or two, I just use the Sony as a monitor. It's still slow and bloated as hell. The version of AndroidTV that ships on the NVIDIA Shield Pro is far more snappy and responsive, but perhaps that's because it has less to do as an 'app container' and also the Shield has a real processor instead of the toy that came on the Sony.

And yes, the sticker shock is...a bit shocking. On the other hand, I paid more for my 2016 LG 65" E6 OLED ($4,100) than the cost of the new 77" ($3,500), so prices have definitely come down. I know everything is more expensive in Canada, though - I used to live there. I didn't realize how badly Canadians are being ripped off for consumer items until I moved to America.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bought my 75x900e 3 years ago last month.
Been noticing that its been randomly rebooting or turning off or on the last month or two. Thought for sure I was just forgetting to turn it off at night or maybe I hit the remote but it did it while watching a show yesterday.
Called the Costco Asurian warranty company to log the first claim which all they had me do was essentially power cycle it.
Next step a technician will come out. Not sure if this is update related or a power supply/motherboard issue.
Havent had any major issues with it since other than I thought the picture would be a bit more eye popping 😊
Will see if this ends up needing a 2nd call or 3rd which might result in a replacement.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Been noticing that its been randomly rebooting or turning the last month or two. Thought for sure I was just forgetting to turn it off at night or maybe I hit the remote but it did it while watching a show yesterday.
Called the Costco Asurian warranty company to log the first claim which all they had me do was essentially power cycle it.
Next step a technician will come out. Not sure if this update related or a power supply/motherboard issue.
Havent had any major issues with it since other than I thought the picture would be a bit more eye popping
Will see if this ends up needing a 2nd call or 3rd which might result in a replacement.
Good thing you got the extended warranty. I should get one of the TCL 75R635 I bought. I have the 55X900e in the bedroom that is still going strong.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Been noticing that its been randomly rebooting or turning off or on the last month or two. Thought for sure I was just forgetting to turn it off at night or maybe I hit the remote but it did it while watching a show yesterday.
Next step a technician will come out. Not sure if this is update related or a power supply/motherboard issue.
Havent had any major issues with it since other than I thought the picture would be a bit more eye popping
I’m having the exact same issue with my 55” set. I’m getting close to calling my Best Buy extended warranty. Can’t figure out why it started to randomly reboot or turn off unless it got a bad software update. I haven’t been able to solve the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone confirm their PS5 setup with the 900e and 120hz support at 1080p? Do you just select performance mode default and 120 FPS supported games would auto launch to this resolution and others would work at 4K 60fps? Wondering if Sony has this working since EDID isn’t sent from the TV letting the PS5 know it supports 120hz.

I have the series X which has to have Display Overrides set from Auto to HDMI. Then select 1080P. The the Refresh Rate drop down is then visible which can be set to 120hz. The downside is you can’t enable 4K or HDR unless you set the Display Override back to Auto which doesn’t recognize 1080p 120hz. I believe this has to do with EDID info not being sent from the 900e to the series X supporting 1080p at 120hz.

Wondering if switching to a PS5 would fix this. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Anyone here with an Xbox Series X able to pass Dolby Atmos successfully, with a compatible AVR plugged into HDMI3 and the Xbox on 2 or 4? I currently have my Xbox plugged directly into the AVR, and the AVR connected via ARC. I have one HDMI spot left on the TV and I'd rather just plug everything into the TV and not go through the AVR for when I don't want to use it and just want the TV speakers (someone sleeping). Or will I get better sound fidelity leaving the Xbox where it is?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m having the exact same issue with my 55” set. I’m getting close to calling my Best Buy extended warranty. Can’t figure out why it started to randomly reboot or turn off unless it got a bad software update. I haven’t been able to solve the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am having the same issue. The tv will randomly do a full reboot with the Sony logo and android boot screens. I found an error. I am not sure if it is the cause. I will have to call for service.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aaaaand, came downstairs this evening to see the rec room lit up as the TV was already on...all by itself lol
Alright, gonna call into the warranty company (Asurian?) tomorrow morning and see if this 2nd call warrants the tech visit, and I imagine, possible motherboard replacement?
We'll see.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Havent had any major issues with it since other than I thought the picture would be a bit more eye popping 😊
Did this issue start out of the blue, or after a firmware update? Maybe it's better to ask what firmware version are you currently on?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hard to say, it seems out of the blue for the last couple months. I'll try to find the firmware version, think there was a software update a few months back though. Will see if I can find those.
Does the screenshot below show what you were asking, not sure if there are other menu options to show firmware etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hard to say, it seems out of the blue for the last couple months. I'll try to find the firmware version, think there was a software update a few months back though. Will see if I can find those.
Does the screenshot below show what you were asking, not sure if there are other menu options to show firmware etc.
Rebooting can be related to heat issues, try taking a vacuum to the vents at the upper rear of the TV to make sure that they are not clogged by dust/cobwebs. I do this about once a quarter to my 900e. I don't know if it helps but it sure cannot hurt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I checked and blew out the vents but wasn't too much dust or buildup.
Warranty company did tell me to do a factory reset, which while I'm not overly optimistic, I did it and now we wait ☺.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A factory reset usually works miracles.

It's more or less like a format for the PC.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Add me to the list. Turned on my 55X930E last night after dinner and was surprised to see it display the Sony logo and then Android TV startup sequence. No power outages or issues. I figured it was maybe a SW update like a minor security patch but I'm still at the levels in the latest release (as reported a few posts above.)

Since these reports started only "a few months ago", that means it lines up with exactly when the latest software update was released around mid Nov. I usually check periodically and use a USB to update my set, but in the holiday rush I missed this completely and my set updated itself on Dec 15. Never had a problem before that. Totally stock. Sure feels like a SW issue to me.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Add me to the list. My Sony now does the long reboot after I did the software update. It acts like it's in power saving mode now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welp, 2 days since the factory reset and haven't had a reboot or come down to see the tv being on.
Will keep an eye on it for the next couple days and update if it happens again.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
With all these reports of problems, I want to turn updates off on my 900E, but I can't find where to do that. The Help app describes a selection/setting that doesn't seem to exist on my set, and I have been unable to figure out how to do it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
631 Posts
With all these reports of problems, I want to turn updates off on my 900E, but I can't find where to do that. The Help app describes a selection/setting that doesn't seem to exist on my set, and I have been unable to figure out how to do it. Any suggestions?
Turn off wifi if you use it.

19861 - 19880 of 19912 Posts