AVS Forum banner

19901 - 19912 of 19912 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
That's what is so odd about updates. You'd think a TV is a TV is a TV. Mine was just fine until a few updates and suddenly I'm noticing weird color banding after one update, crashes after another, etc. Nothing I did other than updating.
A TV hasn't been a TV for a while. It's a display device for what is basically a computer, and in the case of Sony TVs, a computer running the Android OS. If it wasn't an OS, it wouldn't need updating. The simplest current TV is being asked to do a lot more things than even the most sophisticated CRT based TV, the very last one designed and built, ever was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, long time reader and first time poster. My x900e is going on 3 years at the moment and still absolutely loving the TV. However, in the past 6 months i have noticed image retention on the TV.. Unsure if this is related to any updates as reading over the last few months there hasn't been any number of people experiencing this. The images appearing lightly for a period of time are bearable, however in the last month i have managed to 'burn in' an image that appears during a grey / fain screen on the TV. I use my PC connected to the TV and had VLC player on the screen for probably 1/2 a day by mistake.. was playing music. I can see the top bar and bottom bar on the screen now.. My understanding is that LED TV's dont suffer from burn-in.. but this is burnt in and i am curious to know if anyone has experienced this and managed to resolve it? I have tried showing a white screen for 20mins and running a few different Youtube vid's to clear it but no luck. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hi all, long time reader and first time poster. My x900e is going on 3 years at the moment and still absolutely loving the TV. However, in the past 6 months i have noticed image retention on the TV.. Unsure if this is related to any updates as reading over the last few months there hasn't been any number of people experiencing this. The images appearing lightly for a period of time are bearable, however in the last month i have managed to 'burn in' an image that appears during a grey / fain screen on the TV. I use my PC connected to the TV and had VLC player on the screen for probably 1/2 a day by mistake.. was playing music. I can see the top bar and bottom bar on the screen now.. My understanding is that LED TV's dont suffer from burn-in.. but this is burnt in and i am curious to know if anyone has experienced this and managed to resolve it? I have tried showing a white screen for 20mins and running a few different Youtube vid's to clear it but no luck. Thanks in advance!
I think it needs more than 20 minutes. Perhaps a couple of hours or more?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Yeah fair point.. Mindful of doing 'more' damage to the panel but if anyone has experience with this i will definitely give it a try.
Can't imagine displaying a pure white screen would do anything but burn off the 'burn', if that. I don't think there's a downside to the process, which may or may not work...If it was my set, I'd let the white screen run overnight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need help with a 65 900e, after installing latest update, v6.71401. When I turn TV on and a device, mainly a Verizon DVR, in any hdmi input, it will turn on briefly with sound coming from DVR. Then about 5 seconds later sound will shut off/mute. Nothing works to bring sound back except using remote to select input that device is on. It does this on all hdmi inputs and not just dvr, it will also do it on a PS4. I've checked all audio settings, changed inputs, restarted software. Looked in Sony help files worldwide.
Nothing I've tried seems to stop it. Something triggers mute when starting up TV, I am using TV speakers and not external sound bar or stereo system. As long as I pick the input after it goes mute, sound will stay on until the next power on and off. Anyone experiencing this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Update for my post above. I finally did a factory reset as suggested by someone here. It's a stressful decision to do that. Plan it out, take pictures of your settings and get your app passcodes ready. But it was worth it and it does correct this sound glitch! Picture actually might look a little better and entire system seems a little faster.

·
Registered
233 Posts
While it is very rare LCD's can indeed suffer from burn-in. I'm not familiar with any for sure fixes to remove it. Lets us know if any of the suggestions you find on the web works...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update for my post above. I finally did a factory reset as suggested by someone here. It's a stressful decision to do that. Plan it out, take pictures of your settings and get your app passcodes ready. But it was worth it and it does correct this sound glitch! Picture actually might look a little better and entire system seems a little faster.
Thanks for the tip. I bit the bullet and based upon your success did a factory reset. Fixed our volume issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here in Europe the same. I made a factory reset (from the tv menu) but no solution.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Yes, have done factory reset. Problem not solved.

I put apple tv off, my receiver switches off but tv switches to another input and my receiver turns on again. Crazy.

19901 - 19912 of 19912 Posts