AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Huh? The Samsung LCD TV in this shootout was not the cheapest TV of the bunch.

No wonder 2/3 of the premium TV market is going to OLED. Any high end LCD that even remotely tries to do a good job costs too much to compete.

Reactions: Gillietalls

·
Registered
588 Posts
Agreed. I also had a Panasonic plasma that was considered the best TV of its day in 2008, but my 2016 LED has it beat by far. The technology is improving. OLED is great but the barrier is the price.
no the kuros ruled in 2008 , the only time Panasonic came close or equalled the kuro was 2013 with the vt and zt 60

·
Registered
46 Posts
^ So basically the living room category is the motion category, due to sports.
no its also the upscaling category

Motion, upscaling, near-black shadow detail, and color gradation are the strengths for Sony.

So if most of your viewing is Sports, 720p/1080i TV shows, and Movies then go with Sony... best "Living Room TV" makes sense in that regard as a category since it covers the largest variety of normal usage.

Sony was #2 in both the "Best Home Theater" and "Best Overall TV" categories behind the Panasonic.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #327 (Edited)
I don't disagree, I still remember when my parents bought a color TV :)

But we are here to discuss the shootout results last time I checked :rolleyes: Nice deflection, easy to tell who is on which side.

No deflection, but thanks for the accusation.

I'm on the side of innovation because nothing currently is good enough and ticks every box. Children "pick sides". If oled fixes burn in and eliminates abl(like my oled phone), then I'd be sure to jump on. And If lcd innovates perfect blacks that's cool too.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
^agreed, and let's let forget that OLED in of itself came out of innovation just like LCD...kudos to LG for taking that risk and only taking a few years to make it the best pq we have available today...lcd has had its day in the sun and years to correct the same basic issues its had even when oled was just a pipe dream. Anyone with half a brain knows that OLED will not reign forever, but for right now well...

·
Registered
74 Posts
2018 HDTVtest UK TV Shootout

Results:

Best overall TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED

Best HDR TV: LG C8 OLED

Best gaming TV: Samsung Q9FN QLED

Best living room TV: Sony AF8 OLED

Best home theater TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED
Were the two point or multi-point controls used to calibrate the HDR memories for this year’s shootout Tyler?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
MiniLED backlights with thousands of zones, microLED, emissive quantum dot displays, all many years from market, and performance of these in a consumer-priced form is uncertain. It's all wolf tickets at this point. On the other hand, right now, today, you can walk in a store, for a reasonable amount of money, and buy an OLED with perfect blacks, excellent pixel response time, per-pixel dimming, and decent peak brightness in HDR. Meanwhile today's LCD FALD flagships still suffer from the same flaws that the FALD flagships a decade ago suffered from. The technology is fundamentally flawed.

I'm not saying that OLED is perfect. LG needs to push brightness and the near-black uniformity can be aggravating. But it's the clear winner in the premium space, for now.
It sure is. Not even close, really. Anyone that was into plasma before will immediately like OLED. Agree that LG needs to tweak things a bit and there is always room for improvement. But, if my current set was the last TV available and I had to live with it for the rest of my life I would be OK with it. Still got 3D too. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
No deflection, but thanks for the accusation.

I'm on the side of innovation because nothing currently is good enough and ticks every box. Children "pick sides". If oled fixes burn in and eliminates abl(like my oled phone), then I'd be sure to jump on. And If lcd innovates perfect blacks that's cool too.
I don't think anyone on this forum has claimed (ex a couple of members on both "sides") that any technology checks all the boxes or that they don't have their strengths. I just don't understand the quick pivot from discussing the results to technology that isn't available on the consumer market. The "burn-in" argument is old, reminds me of the great plasma v lcd debates - When all else fails go for the burn-in card.

Hard to dispute that OLED is king of the hill today, I own both types of displays, enjoy them both, but I'm sure you can guess which one is used in my HT :) Apologies if my deflection comment offended you, as members of AVS we are all interested in innovation, but that's not what this thread is about.

Reactions: Gillietalls

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I don't think anyone on this forum has claimed (ex a couple of members on both "sides") that any technology checks all the boxes or that they don't have their strengths. I just don't understand the quick pivot from discussing the results to technology that isn't available on the consumer market. The "burn-in" argument is old, reminds me of the great plasma v lcd debates - When all else fails go for the burn-in card.

Hard to dispute that OLED is king of the hill today, I own both types of displays, enjoy them both, but I'm sure you can guess which one is used in my HT :) Apologies if my deflection comment offended you, as members of AVS we are all interested in innovation, but that's not what this thread is about.
^^^ Very well said!

The LCD "side-pickers" can be a hoot at times...

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I just don't understand the quick pivot from discussing the results to technology that isn't available on the consumer market.
I do not see attempts to distract from the fact that the OLEDs won. That is not something posters do, it is something manufacturers do, in fact Samsung did.

The Shootout is done, we know the results, it is not even a US Shootout so not that much excitement and not that much to talk about left. The mini LED ''revolution'' is starting right now which is very exciting for TV fans. Current LCDs are not able to beat OLED in a Shootout mini LED FALDs might change that. So lots to talks about. btw the Sony Z9F LCD will be in the US Shootout. It probably is not but it might as well could be a mini LED FALD because that is how fast things can move.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Unless brightness suddenly takes a new dominant position in the shootout criteria, the best those miniLEDs will likely achieve against OLED is a tie (and the open question of viewing angle hasn't yet been answered either).

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Unless brightness suddenly takes a new dominant position in the shootout criteria, the best those miniLEDs will likely achieve against OLED is a tie (and the open question of viewing angle hasn't yet been answered either).
It would be nice if there was actually a competition between TV techs at those Shootouts. The Plasma's always won and now the OLEDs always win...there is no excitement in that.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
It would be nice if there was actually a competition between TV techs at those Shootouts. The Plasma's always won and now the OLEDs always win...there is no excitement in that.

Well if someone would offer competing technology then there would be. But plasma is dead, and no current LCD can match OLED, so at least this year there is no competition. Maybe next year or the year after that. :)

Reactions: 8mile13

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I honestly believe that those ''in control'' made brightness somewhat less relevant because they want best blacks to win always. Best blacks always have won. It is the most important element in picture quality and HDR is not going to change that.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
I honestly believe that those ''in control'' made brightness somewhat less relevant because they want best blacks to win always. Best blacks always have won. It is the most important element in picture quality and HDR is not going to change that.
Always has won the display with the best perceived contrast. Contrast is very similar to Dynamic Range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motion, upscaling, near-black shadow detail, and color gradation are the strengths for Sony.

So if most of your viewing is Sports, 720p/1080i TV shows, and Movies then go with Sony... best "Living Room TV" makes sense in that regard as a category since it covers the largest variety of normal usage.

Sony was #2 in both the "Best Home Theater" and "Best Overall TV" categories behind the Panasonic.
Not in both ...

Awards
======
Best Home Theatre TV: 1st Panasonic FZ802 (14.93 pts); 2nd Sony AF8 (14.27 pts)
Best Living Room TV: 1st Sony AF8 (15.82 pts); 2nd Panasonic FZ802 (15.69 pts)
Best Gaming TV: 1st Samsung Q9FN (4.23 pts); 2nd LG C8 (4.10 pts)
Best HDR TV: 1st LG C8 (4.15 pts); 2nd Panasonic FZ802 (4.13 pts)

Best TV of 2018: 1st Panasonic FZ802 (32.59 pts); 2nd LG C8 (31.49 pts)

321 - 340 of 514 Posts