AVS Forum banner

20021 - 20040 of 23875 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Got tired of waiting for the OTA update so I downloaded from the Canada site. Definitely a significant difference. I'm using RMasciola for basic HDR patterns and it required a big adjustment from before.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I hesitate to say this, but if I am being honest I still don't quite get the difference between the Tone Mapping the TV HAS to do, and the optional Dynamic Tone Mapping you can turn on or off.

Is the standard tone mapping the TV has to do not dynamic?
No, it's static. The same tone mapping is applied throughout the entire length of content. How the content is tone-mapped depends on the metadata supplied. If it was mastered at 1000 nits, the display might follow the PQ EOTF perfectly up to 500 nits (for example), then roll off / compress the high end.

I thought I had it right in my head for awhile but I am not so sure now. But let me know if this is at all correct:

The Dynamic tone mapping will try to bring the luminance of a disc down to 1000. It does this on the fly and not very well.

Then The TV's standard tone mapping will bring that 1000 down to whatever it can actually handle.

Is that correct at all?
First, don't confuse what Dolby Vision does with what the LG option does. Dolby Vision's tone mapping is carried out in a similar fashion to your TV's static tone mapping - except that it can optimise the tone mapping from scene to scene, as the system is capable of comparing the characteristics of the mastering display to your display at home. In both cases the creator's intent is observed.

In contrast, the DTM option on the LG is a tacked on extra (sitting alongside the regular tone mapping) that manipulates the gamma curve of the content as determined by an algorithm. It's taking guesses at what would make the content look best, it has no idea what the original creator's intent was when mastering the scene.

·
Registered
199 Posts
LOL, whats up with it disappearing?
I don't think it was ever up on the US website for download via web browser for custom install via USB.

I think (I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong) that the "disappearance" is referring to the inability to find it via the TV's built-in updating mechanism. But, I'm pretty sure it's still being rolled out piecemeal even as I write this. I was the first to post that my TV had been offered the update in the US. But I cancelled it, and was never offered it again. Yet for days afterwards, people continued to report it being offered. When it's not being offered for days on end, it's easy to assume that it must have been "pulled". . .

I suspect there is some algorithm used at LG's end to determine which TVs are offered the update and which aren't. . . perhaps even random based on serial numbers, etc. The idea being that the firmware won't roll out too widely at first.

As for it not appearing on the US website for download. Someone done screwed up and nobody seems all that in a hurry to rectify said screw up. :mad:

I finally just installed the download from the Canadian LG website after comparing file hashes between Canada, Korea, and the US for prior updates and confirming that they are identical via file hashes.

--H

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi,

I have had my 77C8 up and running for a few days now and coming from a 65B7 I am loving it. The picture looks cleaner on anything that's less than pristine and motion is better. Also sitting at 6 feet it gives a fantastic cinematic effect. I haven't contemplated looking at slides but when I have been on a "natural" self coloured screen the uniformity looks great. :)

Just one minor first world niggle and that is the stand is very reflective , so much so that in a dark room it can be distracting as it reflects light from the screen. I just wonder if anyone else has seen this as an issue and if so what they did to negate it ?

I could just cover it with a piece of black material but that looks a bit untidy . I could spray the stand black but that's a bit awkward now the TV is in position and so am looking for a safe, easy, effective and elegant solution that preferably is reversible.

·
Registered
799 Posts
No, it's static. The same tone mapping is applied throughout the entire length of content. How the content is tone-mapped depends on the metadata supplied. If it was mastered at 1000 nits, the display might follow the PQ EOTF perfectly up to 500 nits (for example), then roll off / compress the high end.
Just one note about this topic (it could have been more :) ): in theory you guys are right.
But let's not forget that every consumer recent OLED TV has at least 3 ABL algo!
So, we can screw theory here when our sets do whatever they want :)

After accepting the above, everyone can do what he/she likes:
- one dislikes DTM completely
- one likes DTM only during bright day (as DV Cinema Home preset)
- one likes DTM even during the night (me included)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I believe the Software Update app is still installed (isn't it returned when your run com.webos.applicationManager/listApps and Sure still finds it dynamically), but it is disabled somehow on the 5.x.x firmware.
I can't know that since I'm on v4.10.25 with B8 :) It's your turn now for experimenting. :)

Do you have such a document? It woudl be great if you can share it;)
No :) You have to dig in source codes (as I linked them in that post).

Here's an official page, not telling much.
This is what I found on it now (I haven't tried it though):
- service.request (it must be the same request that I used) that uses different luna api endpoints (compared to ssap)

One interesting thing is that this page states that it has a command-line utility as well in the SDK, e.g. you can run apps with "ares-launch" command (not sure that on the TV itself or in the Emulator).

This page states that apps can be installed from external USB drive!!!
Now how we can backup apps...

Reactions: ebr9999

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, it happens most of the time with HDR with me as well. I recommend getting an official remote, this way there is no wondering or issues that might come up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M91STG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I purchased the remote you recommended and did everything suggested with turning off the ASBL, but the issue still persists while playing the same two games. The dimming still happens

Any other suggestions? I'm really frustrated with this. It will be nice and bright and perfect, but still will be dark and then randomly brighten up....rinse repeat.

·
Registered
321 Posts
So, I purchased the remote you recommended and did everything suggested with turning off the ASBL, but the issue still persists while playing the same two games. The dimming still happens

Any other suggestions? I'm really frustrated with this. It will be nice and bright and perfect, but still will be dark and then randomly brighten up....rinse repeat.
yeeeeep, this is a new (introduced in 8 series) undefeatable dimming, unfortunately there is no way to turn this off :( i am on same boat as you, i hate it so much, makes watching/playing sport such a frustrating experience

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,

I have had my 77C8 up and running for a few days now and coming from a 65B7 I am loving it. The picture looks cleaner on anything that's less than pristine and motion is better. Also sitting at 6 feet it gives a fantastic cinematic effect. I haven't contemplated looking at slides but when I have been on a "natural" self coloured screen the uniformity looks great. :)

Just one minor first world niggle and that is the stand is very reflective , so much so that in a dark room it can be distracting as it reflects light from the screen. I just wonder if anyone else has seen this as an issue and if so what they did to negate it ?

I could just cover it with a piece of black material but that looks a bit untidy . I could spray the stand black but that's a bit awkward now the TV is in position and so am looking for a safe, easy, effective and elegant solution that preferably is reversible.

Why not vinyl wrap it? They have all sorts of colors even different material look now that you could use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeeeeep, this is a new (introduced in 8 series) undefeatable dimming, unfortunately there is no way to turn this off :( i am on same boat as you, i hate it so much, makes watching/playing sport such a frustrating experience
If this is true, then I am disgusted. I paid a LOT of money for this to watch movies and game.

Will try on my C7. Hopefully it will work for that TV in my master bedroom.

Is there a TV out there that will have the great 4K HDR quality minus this ridiculous dimming?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Why not vinyl wrap it? They have all sorts of colors even different material look now that you could use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great idea that I never considered although I have watched cars being wrapped. Thanks, I'm going to look into that idea.

Reactions: 3isRC
20021 - 20040 of 23875 Posts