AVS Forum banner

20181 - 20200 of 23877 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found that the 0-5% luminance adjustments I made back on 4.10.55 were no longer necessary with 5.10.03. And when I tried to adjust luminance anyways as a test, it seemed to have a much less pronounced effect on shadow details.

This was after a factory reset and the determination that I still needed to have my panel at brightness of 53.

--H

Have you thoroughly checked in a pitch-black room with test patterns that black level isn't elevated at 53?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Let's hope LG corrects gamma balance even further, until then I stay at 4.15 which is by far the best Firmware

Gesendet von meinem GM1913 mit Tapatalk

Disagree, that firmware had some issues such as chrominance overshoot that have now been fixed (as much as is possible), and gamma is not worse with 5.10.03 in my opinion. In fact, I don't think that LG can globally improve gamma significantly after the newest firmware if they account for panel variances.

Panels always have variances, which is why every panel (regardless of firmware) will see some improvement with proper calibration.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have you thoroughly checked in a pitch-black room with test patterns that black level isn't elevated at 53?
Yes. Very thoroughly. Via 0% black slide (vs 1% black slide). The AVS black clipping pattern. And Wizziwig's gamma correction slide. All in a pitch black room (I even turn off my outdoor porch lights lest the glow from the window affect things).

It's not strange for a panel to need a notch or three of brightness. Due to panel variance.

--H

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I’️m currently on firmware 05.10.03 and noticed that web os tv version is different after this update. During the usb install I was trying to take a quick photo of the current TV information but it quickly finished and my TV rebooted.

For those who still have the previous firmware is your Dolby Vision the same as 1.5.0_17.00
The Dolby Vision version with firmware 4.10.55 was also 1.5.0_17.00 on my 65C8.

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
993 Posts
A large part of the calibration procedure is in ensuring the TV tracks the luminance targets, engaging the LG's dynamic tone mapping deviates from those targets (even taking ABL into consideration, their relative relationship is altered).
Good afternoon. Thanks for your input and help on this topic, it is appreciated. What you are saying here is basically what my concern was...that the DTM was (Negatively) impacting my calibration and altering the original content intent. Having just had my TV calibrated, I of course want the picture as accurate as possible, while of course not losing and visual information whenever possible.

I do and I do not engage DTM. DTM and the player's HDR Optimiser are doing two different things. What the player's optimiser is doing is the same thing that the LG's regular tone-mapping does. All that's happening now is that the player is ensuring that all content is tone-mapped down to 1000 nits before passing it on to the TV, so the TV's job of tone-mapping the image down to 700 nits is that much easier.
I actually thought till I read this that the Optimizer was just literally another form of Dynamic Tone Mapping. Is what the Optimizer does dynamic at all? (It sure seems like it.)

Basically, the LG does tone mapping twice if you switch on DTM. DTM changes HDR's fixed tone curve and thus the creator's intent - the picture will be less accurate. If you use a UB820/9000, then activate HDR Optimizer and leave DTM deactivated for the most accurate picture.
Just for my own curiosity... why is the HDR Optimizer better at doing what it does, but also maintaining the most of the creator's intent?

I had thought that Panasonic's actual OLEDs also have the HDR Optimizer build in. Do they? Do they just have their own version of DTM in there?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
I'm in upstate NY and just received the OTA updade.
Any notes on what's been fixed?
Nah, no-one knows. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the issue that has been fixed has been discussed on this thread for over a year, and specifically the 5.10.* firmwares since May, very easy to find via a basic search.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
Because you have to use 10% windows to calibrate. It takes time. Particularly for HDR.
You might have temporary image retention, sure. I notice it too when calibrating HDR. But that goes on its own after a few minutes. Certainly after the next comp cycle.

"Burn-in" means something permanent, and is different to temporary image retention.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
Let's hope LG corrects gamma balance even further
What are you talking about, there is nothing left to correct. It's been proven with calibration scans posted here by jk82 that the gamma curve in 5.10.* is identical to the curve in 4.15

until then I stay at 4.15 which is by far the best Firmware
Um, nope. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why does everyone keep saying OTA which is short for Over The Air referring to using an antenna. With these updates it should be OTI for Over The Internet 😬
Try living inside my head where I want to staple shut the lips of everyone who uses the word "ironic" when they really mean "coincidental" or "unfortunate." I promised my wife I'd never actually do it and yet she keeps hiding the stapler.

That being said, I'm ok with OTA in this context.:D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Disagree, that firmware had some issues such as chrominance overshoot that have now been fixed (as much as is possible), and gamma is not worse with 5.10.03 in my opinion. In fact, I don't think that LG can globally improve gamma significantly after the newest firmware if they account for panel variances.

Panels always have variances, which is why every panel (regardless of firmware) will see some improvement with proper calibration.
I had D-Nice Calibrate my LG C8 77” tv yesterday. He said some people had more issues with .55 firmware than others . Panel variations can be pretty big . My tv did not look good with .55 firmware. The new firmware .03 helped my panel. And the newly calibrated C8 looks phenomenal! I am having a hard time pulling myself away from tv to get other tasks done! 😆. D-Nice did a very good job of calibrating C8. A professional calibration does help this panel quite a bit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Because you have to use 10% windows to calibrate. It takes time. Particularly for HDR.
Me thinks you'll be fine. Let us know. I have't checked yet if its available here.
From personal experience it definitely causes temporary image retention. Particularly when calibrating HDR. A 700 nit 10% window will get retention very quickly. Not sure the effect long term, but it definitely ages the pixels quicker than the surrounding area

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you have to update to .55 before it will offer the 5.X update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Gallery App

Has anyone tried using the Gallery App's "My Photos"?

I added some photos, but when viewed with the Gallery app, it just showed panning shots of my photos. I was kind of expecting my photos to be displayed with a frame around the edge, or at least that is what I was hoping :(

20181 - 20200 of 23877 Posts