AVS Forum banner

21461 - 21480 of 23923 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Any C8 owner’s experience a vertical line similar to my C9 below? BB tech is coming out on Saturday and I’m trying to figure what to expect. There are no C9 owners that I know of that’s had this issue. I ha e an extended warranty and if it needs replacing I’d like to upgrade to an E9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had something similar on my E7 but it was a horizontal line. The panel needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Gaaah, and I here I thought I'd slow down on the triple dipping of discs I already have on DVD and regular BD..! Pure insanity, I tell you.

But thanks for the recommendation!
I know the feeling, I sometimes double dip myself, but I never owned the regular blu ray copy, so it was a big jump for me!

Reactions: JV_82

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know the feeling, I sometimes double dip myself, but I never owned the regular blu ray copy, so it was a big jump for me!
Went shopping for a pair of pants earlier today, came home with a bottle of nice scotch and, what is hopefully my last copy of The Shining. I can imagine that the 4K restoration would look quite a bit better than the DVD version, can't wait to fire up the disc in a bit.

Thanks again for the recommendation / reminder!

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
There are some reports saying that the newer 5.xxx firmware reduced the sharpness by a lot,
False. No "reports" at all. Only the single isolated misunderstanding, accidentally (vexatiously, IMHO) re-posted and each time corrected. As again, in this post. :) The newer 5.x firmware did not reduce sharpness. :mad:

Are these "reports" professional reviews/observations or from owners? I've not seen anything professionally documented in that regard but I can't say, scientifically, that it's incorrect other than to say that I updated from 4.xx to 5.xx and am perfectly happy with the results.
It's the same quote taken, out of context, from one single article he keeps referring to, which claimed that the new near-black dithering (which we all want and appreciate) is torpedoing the TV's sharpness. It's not a credible position to take, and was only an aside in the article anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
False. No "reports" at all. Only the single isolated misunderstanding, accidentally (vexatiously, IMHO) re-posted and each time corrected. As again, in this post. :) The newer 5.x firmware did not reduce sharpness. :mad:

It's the same quote taken, out of context, from one single article he keeps referring to, which claimed that the new near-black dithering (which we all want and appreciate) is torpedoing the TV's sharpness. It's not a credible position to take, and was only an aside in the article anyway. :rolleyes:
Agreed, and agreed. I assume you're referring to the 9 series review.

We've gotten a little off topic from what got us here in the first place: @Paulo Gouveia believes his E8 has experienced a loss of sharpness or resolution. He seems like a good chap and had the courage to post his concerns. I've offered what little I could think of. Anyone else have any suggestions for him? And for the love of God, if anyone wants to blame the latest FW, please do it in a PM to the OP.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
U updated from 4.15. I was also fuming in this thread about sharpness and upscaling in this Thread. There's nothing u can do now

Gesendet von meinem GM1913 mit Tapatalk

Groundhog Day?

Reactions: chad43

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
@chad43 very good point!

but now, even after reseting if it factory and following other tutorials (can't find that one, it was done on ISR Bright room and I can only find tutorials for Dark room) the image is just not as sharp as it was. It don't seem as detailed, doesn't seem as sharp, kinda blurry, even watching Netflix HD for example.

Wondering if someone could point me out in the direction of a good tutorial that would help me get the great image I had back. The youtube/rtings ones didn't work unfortunately.
I don't know of a tutorial as such but there are some settings worth checking, especially if you have done a "factory reset" because some defaults aren't great.

In Picture - Aspect Ratio settings, go into the menu. Aspect Ratio of "Original" will auto-switch, and "16:9" will stretch everything to 16:9 so the former is better - but the critical one is to set "Just Scan" to "on". Otherwise, it will zoom the picture (blurring everything slightly).

·
Registered
LG 65C8, Marantz SR7013, Shield Pro 2019, Elite UDP-LX500, 2 - HSU VFT-3MK5 Subs, Polk 7 Spk Sur
954 Posts
Streaming through the fox sports app is only 4K supported for Apple TV 4K and 4K capable Roku devices unfortunately.
I do have Roku Ultra but use it on an older HD set. Might test drive it on the C8 tonight. So far I'm not impressed with the FoxNow app's PQ. Looks more like 480 up converted to HD.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do have Roku Ultra but use it on an older HD set. Might test drive it on the C8 tonight. So far I'm not impressed with the FoxNow app's PQ. Looks more like 480 up converted to HD.
Well, I'm super frustrated because I have an NVidia Shield which fox sports does not offer the 4k feed for, as well as the LG TV and finally Comcast, which had announced it was offering the 4k feed and then mysteriously withdrew that right before kickoff of last weeks game. So I have no way to watch the game in 4k. That said, Comcast did offer some college games in 4k last week, one even came through in HDR and they both looked phenomenal.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Well, I'm super frustrated because I have an NVidia Shield which fox sports does not offer the 4k feed for, as well as the LG TV and finally Comcast, which had announced it was offering the 4k feed and then mysteriously withdrew that right before kickoff of last weeks game. So I have no way to watch the game in 4k. That said, Comcast did offer some college games in 4k last week, one even came through in HDR and they both looked phenomenal.
Fox Sports’ NFL 4K HDR Fiasco Is An Embarrassment For The Whole AV Industry
The most embarrassing problem was the way that Fox Sports viewers using Apple TV and Roku devices couldn’t get to watch the Eagles v Packers game in HDR, despite Fox specifically stating before the game that such devices WOULD support the HDR feed.

Really it doesn’t matter which of these answers is the right one; the bottom line is that both are equally shocking in this day and age where HDR and the devices that support it are supposed to be pretty well established.

It’s worth adding here that one streaming device that does support HLG, the Amazon Fire TV 4K Stick, could actually only deliver the game in HD SDR because it doesn’t carry the Fox Sports app...

In fact, the latest Apple TV box appears to have had HLG ‘awareness’ built in from day one; iOS developer Guilherme Rambo found lines of code way back in the earliest software for the current 4K Apple TV box indicating HLG support (as I report here). But for some reason Apple has yet to make this apparently embedded feature ‘live’.
It's absolutely ludicrous that Apple still won't switch on HLG support. How much longer will Apple hold out?

Live broadcasts need HLG, which doesn't need metadata. You would need to have the whole thing ready and done, to be able to scan it to create the metadata that HDR10 requires. Which is why HLG is ideally suitable for live broadcasts, this is not a surprise, it's been known for many years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Prime Carnival Row Flickering?

I've been watching Carnival Row through my C8 prime app but have noticed something a little odd. During a handful of scenes, usually dark ones, I'll sometime see what can best be described as a minor flicker effect. Its like some dark areas of the screen light up for a split second. I'm not talking abut the ABL or other dimming, just a quick flicker. Any one else notice that? I've never noticed it with any other content, just Carnival Row.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been watching Carnival Row through my C8 prime app but have noticed something a little odd. During a handful of scenes, usually dark ones, I'll sometime see what can best be described as a minor flicker effect. Its like some dark areas of the screen light up for a split second. I'm not talking abut the ABL or other dimming, just a quick flicker. Any one else notice that? I've never noticed it with any other content, just Carnival Row.
Noticed that too

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sounds like this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3037908-oled-tvs-hit-severe-blocking-flashing-problems-poll.html

·
Registered
39 Posts

Ok listen, there is one member in this thread (hamad138) who reported that he noticed a diminished sharpness after upgrading to the latest firmware. If the new firmware did not change sharpness for you it does not mean it did not change for everybody else. You don't know which settings he is using and also which settings the other member (Paulo Gouveia) is using.

It is entirely possible that the new firmware have changes that will affect sharpness in specific picture profiles and not in others which would explain why some have a problem and some don't, but with you guys bashing anyone who tries to discuss about this possible problem we will never figure out what is really happening.

I myself have sharpness set to 50 for SDR content and i still cannot get the same level of sharpness i had in the Sony 900F, since i have never tried the TV with the 4.xx firmwares i cannot compare but i can say that currently my sharpness is not great. Btw i have never set sharpness to higher than zero in any of my previous TVs, i always felt like it adds artifacts and it is not natural.

I suggest that replies stating that what other people see in their own TVs are not true should stop, also ones stating that if they want to refer to a problem they should to so via PM. You are not moderators. Period.

As a senior software developer i have a clear understanding that if you refuse to accept user reports as true, as weird and unlikely as they may be, you will never fix the complicated bugs. And the same goes for members of this forum trying to help each other troubleshoot their problems.

I cannot stress this enough, if a certain issue is not happening for you or is not happening for the majority it does not mean it is not happening for one specific member.

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
Ok listen, there is one member in this thread (hamad138) who reported that he noticed a diminished sharpness after upgrading to the latest firmware. If the new firmware did not change sharpness for you it does not mean it did not change for everybody else. You don't know which settings he is using and also which settings the other member (Paulo Gouveia) is using.

It is entirely possible that the new firmware have changes that will affect sharpness in specific picture profiles and not in others which would explain why some have a problem and some don't, but with you guys bashing anyone who tries to discuss about this possible problem we will never figure out what is really happening.

I myself have sharpness set to 50 for SDR content and i still cannot get the same level of sharpness i had in the Sony 900F, since i have never tried the TV with the 4.xx firmwares i cannot compare but i can say that currently my sharpness is not great. Btw i have never set sharpness to higher than zero in any of my previous TVs, i always felt like it adds artifacts and it is not natural.

I suggest that replies stating that what other people see in their own TVs are not true should stop, also ones stating that if they want to refer to a problem they should to so via PM. You are not moderators. Period.

As a senior software developer i have a clear understanding that if you refuse to accept user reports as true, as weird and unlikely as they may be, you will never fix the complicated bugs. And the same goes for members of this forum trying to help each other troubleshoot their problems.

I cannot stress this enough, if a certain issue is not happening for you or is not happening for the majority it does not mean it is not happening for one specific member.

So if I understand your argument , we should take the word of one poster that has a history of blaming everything on firmware with no evidence over the other 99 % of the owners here not reporting that issue ? Firmware either impacts something or it doesn’t it pretty black and white .

As far as being moderators you are doing exactly what you are accusing others are doing lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
So if I understand your argument , we should take the word of one poster that has a history of blaming everything on firmware with no evidence over the other 99 % of the owners here not reporting that issue ? Firmware either impacts something or it doesn’t it pretty black and white .

What are you talking about? I am simply saying that people should stop bashing members who are reporting issues they themselves cannot reproduce. The evidence is that he freaking saw it happening in front of his eyes, who are you or anybody else to say he did not?!

Also, if there is one thing software is not, it is black and white.

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
What are you talking about? I am simply saying that people should stop bashing members who are reporting issues they themselves cannot reproduce. The evidence is that he freaking saw it happening in front of his eyes, who are you or anybody else to say he did not?!

Also, if there is one thing software is not, it is black and white.

Okay but you are not a moderator either so if you see some response you don’t like you should probably just move on . You might want to ease into the thread we have been dealing with posts like this for a long time . I am not discounting anything being reported but I think it is unlikely it is firmware related , this latest complaint fits a pattern .

21461 - 21480 of 23923 Posts