AVS Forum banner

21481 - 21500 of 23902 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've been watching Carnival Row through my C8 prime app but have noticed something a little odd. During a handful of scenes, usually dark ones, I'll sometime see what can best be described as a minor flicker effect. Its like some dark areas of the screen light up for a split second. I'm not talking abut the ABL or other dimming, just a quick flicker. Any one else notice that? I've never noticed it with any other content, just Carnival Row.

Noticed that too

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yep it's the near-black chrominance overshoot. While I've seen it very rarely on newer firmwares, Carnival Row is one of those shows where it still happens. This was driving me nuts and was the trigger for me to buy the Panasonic GZ2000. But the first one had bad near-black uniformity and the second one too much tint, so I'm back to the C8 again... :cool:

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
I had something similar on my E7 but it was a horizontal line. The panel needed to be replaced.
I used to think with a line like that thru the screen it was a done deal, new screen needed. I saw once in here where they replaced a board and the line was gone........Never seen that before.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yep it's the near-black chrominance overshoot. While I've seen it very rarely on newer firmwares, Carnival Row is one of those shows where it still happens. This was driving me nuts and was the trigger for me to buy the Panasonic GZ2000. But the first one had bad near-black uniformity and the second one too much tint, so I'm back to the C8 again... :cool:
Thanks for the reply's. I read about near black flashing problems with the lg oleds but its not something I ever noticed. I guess there's something about Carnival Row that causes it to trigger. The show looks phenomenal otherwise. My last few TV's were higher end lcds but all had some issue that that prevented me from fully enjoying my purchase. I do have a few minor gripes with my C8, mainly the overly aggressive dimming, but its my first TV in recent memory where I'm consistently wow'd but the picture :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Can't wait! Amazon will be here tomorrow to drop it off, pizza will be ordered, lights will be off, Atmos atmosing:D

Total Bliss!

One of, if not the best ACTING horror films of all time!
It really does look amazing. Wait to you see the reds in the bathroom.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Ok listen, there is one member in this thread (hamad138) who reported that he noticed a diminished sharpness after upgrading to the latest firmware. If the new firmware did not change sharpness for you it does not mean it did not change for everybody else. You don't know which settings he is using and also which settings the other member (Paulo Gouveia) is using.
No. We've listened, but you have not. We've had this discussion before over and over. He refused to share his settings, because basically he is a troll who doesn't really want to solve any problems. He was warned by the moderators. He wasted a lot of time of those of us who initially tried to help him, but he would not be helped. You should go back and read the thread - but you won't be able to see the posts that the moderators had to delete of course. Bored of this now.

·
Registered
16,366 Posts
Can't wait! Amazon will be here tomorrow to drop it off, pizza will be ordered, lights will be off, Atmos atmosing:D

Total Bliss!

One of, if not the best ACTING horror films of all time!
Atmosing? :D That almost makes me want to poke some holes in my ceiling and install Atmos ;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Atmosing? :D That almost makes me want to poke some holes in my ceiling and install Atmos ;)
If you can you should , if you can't then consider speakers mounted on the wall near to the junction to the ceiling as SVS suggest in one of their advice papers on their site.

Atmos , to me, is like the HDR of sound. It literally gives soundtracks another dimension. :):):)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the all the prompt replies. I read them all and took my considerations.

Wondering if it helps if I post what I'm currently set at, maybe any of you nice gents will find a blatant 'mistake' that is causing my concerns:

ISR (Bright Room)

Aspect Ratio: Original
Just Scan: On
Energy Saving: Off
Eye Comfort: Off
Logo Luminance: High

Oled Light: 100
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 0

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Res: Off
Colour Gamut: Wide
Colour Filter: Off
Gamma 1.9

Colour Temperature: Warm 2

(both) Noise Reduction: Off
Real Cinema: On
Black Level: Auto
Motion Eye Care: Off
TruMotion: De-Judder 0; De-Blur 10; Motion Pro: Off

All rest is set to standard.

I experienced the image degrading quality mostly on sports to be honest.

Thanks once again!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the all the prompt replies. I read them all and took my considerations.

Wondering if it helps if I post what I'm currently set at, maybe any of you nice gents will find a blatant 'mistake' that is causing my concerns:

ISR (Bright Room)

Gamma 1.9

Thanks once again!
Try super resolution on high and sharpness 10. Also Gamma 2.2

Gesendet von meinem GM1913 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Hey guys,

ISR (Bright Room)
Here's my take for what it's worth. If I've removed it, it means I agree :)

Bzzt! Not for SDR content. OLED Light would burn your eyes!

Daytime:
I have OLED Light=45 max (in ISF Bright with Gamma=2.2)

Night time:
OLED Light=30ish (in ISF Dark with Gamma=2.4)

All very good!

Gamma 1.9
Colour Gamut should be AUTO. Wide will stretch the incoming video signal to the panel's large gamut which is only intended for HDR. In both HDR and SDR modes, use AUTO.

Gamma at 1.9 will be very overly bright and wash out colours. It will not look as intended. Normally no lower than 2.2 (in a bright room). Modern content for SDR is mastered at Gamma 2.4/BT.1886 (these two are the same curve on an OLED with true black). The only time I've used Gamma 1.9, was for the episode of The Game Of Thrones which was too dark to see anything :)

Motion settings are definitely "personal taste" because we all see the motion of the sample-and-hold display differently. But you could try TruMotion off completely, and then also try De-Judder=1, De-Blur-1 and also "on" with both set to zero (NB: this is a different setting to "off", it means "Motion Pro is on but with minimal settings")

HTH

·
Registered
355 Posts
It really does look amazing. Wait to you see the reds in the bathroom.
They were unreal! Richness. The ice maze at the end was brilliant as well.

No joke here! Once you go Atmos with the upper sound fields, the immersion can't be beat for home theater.

If you can you should , if you can't then consider speakers mounted on the wall near to the junction to the ceiling as SVS suggest in one of their advice papers on their site.

Atmos , to me, is like the HDR of sound. It literally gives soundtracks another dimension. :):):)
Couldn't have set it better myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any C8 owner’s experience a vertical line similar to my C9 below? BB tech is coming out on Saturday and I’m trying to figure what to expect. There are no C9 owners that I know of that’s had this issue. I ha e an extended warranty and if it needs replacing I’d like to upgrade to an E9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had something similar on my curved C6 about 3 years ago, it was a vertical line that was white in color and I could only see it when the screen was a light color. I had it under a year and was still under warranty. I contacted LG and sent in some pictures and they gave me the number of a local shop to to get it fixed. He came out and looked at it and said it needed replacing. It took about 2 days to get the new screen and he came back out to my house and replaced it. I still have it for the 3D and the picture still looks good. I think the cost of the screen was about what I paid for the TV so without warranty I would have bought a new TV.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I tried to watch the Rams/Seahawks game in 4k HDR on Directv last night and the motion was pretty bad. Lots of stuttering. I tried virtually every combination of motion processing settings, to no avail. I finally just switched over to the SDR feed. Did anybody else see bad motion on the 4K broadast on Directv? Is this likely a Directv issue as opposed to an issue with the C8?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey guys,

ISR (Bright Room)

Gamma 1.9

Thanks once again!
You should change Color Gamut from “Wide” to “Auto.” This way you will get the colors you’re supposed to.

Also gamma is too low IMO. For most content and lighting conditions, 2.2 is ideal. I prefer 2.4 for movies and tv shows but not everyone does.

If your cable/sat TV channels have noticeable compression artifacts/macro blocking it wouldn’t be a bad idea to set Noise Reduction and MPEG Noise Reduction both to “Low.” For high quality content it’s never necessary but it can do wonders for heavily compressed stuff.

Usually sports will look better on channels broadcasting 720p60 like Fox, ABC and ESPN than those broadcasting 1080i30 like CBS, NBC and others. Motion will be much smoother for sure and with a little motion interpolation it can look nearly perfect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gaaah, and I here I thought I'd slow down on the triple dipping of discs I already have on DVD and regular BD..! Pure insanity, I tell you.

But thanks for the recommendation!
This transfer is a HUGE upgrade. The uptick in detail is truly extraordinary. It’s really a near perfect transfer. The audio is fantastic as well. I would say as good or even better a remaster job than Apocalypse Now Final Cut. That’s another superb disc.

I don’t like buying stuff yet again after having the VHS, DVD and Blu-ray but in cases like this you have no choice!

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
We we do not have that Panasonic option in the USA :(

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I tried to watch the Rams/Seahawks game in 4k HDR on Directv last night and the motion was pretty bad. Lots of stuttering. I tried virtually every combination of motion processing settings, to no avail. I finally just switched over to the SDR feed. Did anybody else see bad motion on the 4K broadast on Directv? Is this likely a Directv issue as opposed to an issue with the C8?

Hello , yes I had that issue initially but it cleared up after some time .

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
202 Posts

I watched it via the Fox Sports app on Roku, and it was amazing. I had no problems. My guess is it was Dtv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
Interesting. I still have it on my DVR so I'll skip ahead to after half time and see what it looks like. Thanks.

I didn’t watch the entire game but for me it cleared up after the first quarter .

Reactions: Cam1977
21481 - 21500 of 23902 Posts