AVS Forum banner

22021 - 22040 of 23967 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased a 55” B8 and a 77” C8 back in June of this year. So far both units have been flawless. Unfortunately over the last week to two the 77” C8 has started to turn itself off automatically. I have confirmed that all timers are disable including the 2 Hours Auto Power Off. As we know the power cord cannot be unplugged from the TV but I have power cycled it for a couple minutes and this has not helped. As of posting this it has turned off 3 times in the past 90 minutes. My next step will be to remove the rear cover and look for any issues as I’ve read the GPU may be over heating. Any and all suggestions or information is greatly appreciated! I don’t want a 77” paper weight lol

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
I purchased a 55” B8 and a 77” C8 back in June of this year. So far both units have been flawless. Unfortunately over the last week to two the 77” C8 has started to turn itself off automatically. I have confirmed that all timers are disable including the 2 Hours Auto Power Off. As we know the power cord cannot be unplugged from the TV but I have power cycled it for a couple minutes and this has not helped. As of posting this it has turned off 3 times in the past 90 minutes. My next step will be to remove the rear cover and look for any issues as I’ve read the GPU may be over heating. Any and all suggestions or information is greatly appreciated! I don’t want a 77” paper weight lol

Do you have hdmi control enabled by chance? My 77” turned off occasionally when I had cec enabled. I believe the culprit in my case was my atv4k. Since I disabled hdmi control it hasn’t happened .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: crrafferty

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there
Are there still people with the 4.10.15 /20 firmware here ? If yes, anyone tempted to to upgrade to the new one (05.10.35)?
I know firmware problems have been discussed ad nauseum, but some new point of view could be interesting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
hi there
Are there still people with the 4.10.15 /20 firmware here ? If yes, anyone tempted to to upgrade to the new one (05.10.35)?
I know firmware problems have been discussed ad nauseum, but some new point of view could be interesting.

Thanks.
I've never had a problem with firmware updates. The only reason people skip them is that sometimes it requires you to re-calibrate.

Reactions: tanman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have hdmi control enabled by chance? My 77” turned off occasionally when I had cec enabled. I believe the culprit in my case was my atv4k. Since I disabled hdmi control it hasn’t happened .

Thank you for your response! Shortly after my posting my wife mentioned it had been happening to her as well and based on the time frame of the issue I found it was my 2017 Nvidia Shield. I had been using it on an older TV and it never gave me an issue but it was an older Samsung 4k 9 Series from 2013. Moving forward I've also disabled the Smart CEC to prevent this issue from happening. Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
Thank you for your response! Shortly after my posting my wife mentioned it had been happening to her as well and based on the time frame of the issue I found it was my 2017 Nvidia Shield. I had been using it on an older TV and it never gave me an issue but it was an older Samsung 4k 9 Series from 2013. Moving forward I've also disabled the Smart CEC to prevent this issue from happening. Thanks again!

Awesome ! Unfortunately cec is unpredictable , I choose not to use it.

Reactions: rdgcss

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
hi there

Thanks.
I'm still on 4.10.15 as there was definitely issues with the few firmware releases that followed. It sounds like it's safe to update now. I haven't bothered as my C8 isn't in my living room and is very rarely used and there's no going back once I update. I would update if that's what it takes to check out The Mandalorian on Disney Plus.

Vincent Teoh did a great video covering the issues with different firmware releases up to 05.10.20 if you haven't seen it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have it turned off now for 9 months (approximately 1000 hours ) and do not see any issues yet. I hardly watch TV channels with banners or logo’s though, but I do watch a lot movies on UHD discs with 2:35:1 ratio and Netflix (just HD). I do not use it for gaming and also not as a computer monitor.
I appreciate your input, thanks!

Just be very careful entering the SM. That can be the quickest way to screw up or brick your tv. Some commands may change with firmware updates or even when the particular build was installed and qc'd. Most of us don't recommend entering the SM for anything so if you do, go slowly and cautiously.
That's the reason I still haven't done it as I am a little worried of screwing something up or increasing the chance of image retention or something like that. I'm doing my best just to try and ignore the dimming but it does become quite annoying watching something with a lot of dark scenes.

·
Registered
804 Posts
the aggressive asbl dark scene dimming is getting increasingly on my nerves. I've watched a few horror movies where it doesn't take long for the picture to dim to the point of being almost unwatchable. I've been reading up on the process on how to disable it and it seems easy enough : service remote- in start- 13. oled - set tpc to 0- exit. ... I understanding limiting a bright scene or static image for screen protection but why a dark one?
This kind of ABL (ASBL) works also by checking the APL (average brightness of the frame), and if it doesn't change for a given time (1 min? I forgot it) then it dims the image. Since - as it seems - it can't decide under a certain threshold whether the image is different (small APL changes) then it starts dimming.
Don't think about it: just switch it off in In-Start.

I'm still on 4.10.15 as there was definitely issues with the few firmware releases that followed. It sounds like it's safe to update now.
If you don't care about Dolby Vision. :D

Vincent Teoh did a great video covering the issues with different firmware releases ...
That's the problem with reviewers (and don't get me wrong, I like Vincent as well): they only talk about good things. Not checking/mentioning DV issue, not mentioning that the B8 is completely screwed, etc ...

Reactions: toddRiffic

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think this was previously answered, but the C8 downconverts TrueHD (and Atmos) to DD+ only when it's the full THD+ac3 core track, or am I wrong? The Sony X700 has similar TrueHD playback issues with mkv. This means videos in mvk container (which strips the core) cannot be played back correctly. So that leaves m2ts files to be able to do: Source m2ts THD -> LG C8 -> DD+ -> AVR.
When over HDMI ARC you will get AC-3 and DTS from DTHD and HDMA. Only when it’s a DD+ w/Atmos track does the receiver play back DD+. With optical there’s no DD+ because optical can’t handle the 3 Mbit/s minimum bitrate established with HD-DVD even though many DD+ tracks are 640 kbps which is obviously much lower than DTS’s 1536.

I haven’t had trouble playing back a single HEVC MKV. I do get a message saying “this video does not support audio” when I play back a movie with TrueHD or DD+ Atmos but the audio plays fine. One of the firmwares I believe 4.10.31 was supposed to get rid of this but I guess not.

The funny thing here is that my 2017 Yamaha got an eARC firmware update back in June/July. If 2017 AVRs could get eARC two years later then there is no hardware limitation preventing a newer 2018 LG from getting it. But again I’m very happy with the C8 and lack of eARC is really not a big deal. I’ve always run everything through the receiver since forever.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
This kind of ABL (ASBL) works also by checking the APL (average brightness of the frame), and if it doesn't change for a given time (1 min? I forgot it) then it dims the image. Since - as it seems - it can't decide under a certain threshold whether the image is different (small APL changes) then it starts dimming.
Don't think about it: just switch it off in In-Start.

If you don't care about Dolby Vision. :D

That's the problem with reviewers (and don't get me wrong, I like Vincent as well): they only talk about good things. Not checking/mentioning DV issue, not mentioning that the B8 is completely screwed, etc ...

I really like Dolby Vision titles on Netflix so I'll stay on 04.10.15 if I'll get noticeable black crush as I've never seen any issues with my C8 in my limited viewing time. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Been thinking about getting a 4K Roku for my C8. Is there any difference in picture quality vs the on board apps (Netflix, Prime)?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Been thinking about getting a 4K Roku for my C8. Is there any difference in picture quality vs the on board apps (Netflix, Prime)?
I bought and returned the 4K Roku. It’s a good media player if you don’t have Netflix build in the smart TV but on the C8 the best picture you can get is thru the C8 internal application, not to mention you already have the Netflix button on your magic remote so use it, but hey, you can try it and return it if you not happy.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
I bought and returned the 4K Roku. It’s a good media player if you don’t have Netflix build in the smart TV but on the C8 the best picture you can get is thru the C8 internal application, not to mention you already have the Netflix button on your magic remote so use it, but hey, you can try it and return it if you not happy.
The less links in the chain, the better off you are usually......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm still on 4.10.15 as there was definitely issues with the few firmware releases that followed. It sounds like it's safe to update now. I haven't bothered as my C8 isn't in my living room and is very rarely used and there's no going back once I update. I would update if that's what it takes to check out The Mandalorian on Disney Plus.

Vincent Teoh did a great video covering the issues with different firmware releases up to 05.10.20 if you haven't seen it.

Thanks for your answer , I'll stick to 4.10.15, as I enjoy Dolby Vision which seems to have black crush with the 5.10. .. firmwares.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good morning and happy Veterans Day from snowy CO. Thank you all veterans for your service.

My calibrator is coming on Thursday to touch up after a year and address any changes since .15 (now on .20). I was hoping .35 would have been pushed before he arrived. Now I am thinking I should download this and apply it.
1) Are the Canadian models/firmware, the same as US models/firmware?
2) If you were me, would you sideload the firmware before the calibration touch up?

Thanks.

22021 - 22040 of 23967 Posts