AVS Forum banner

22421 - 22440 of 23965 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hope not, since I'm at work. The bigger issue was the fact that I upgraded both the TV AND the projector this year....didn't go over well...
I've been ogling the 77" C9 despite only having the E8 for a year and copping heaps for it. Mind you nothing at all wrong with going on another cruise in Jan despite only being back from last one 4 weeks ago :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love my 65 c8 but one thing that is really getting on my nerves is the aggressive dimming of dark scene caused by the asbl. I've been reading up on how to disable it through the service menu and i'm pretty confident I can set the tpc off without messing anything up. The one thing that worries me though is I've read a few people saying that just by entering the service menu voids your warranty. Does anyone know if that's actually true?. I'm going on almost a year with my c8 but I bought it from Costco which gives an additional year worth of coverage. thanks!

·
Registered
16,385 Posts
I love my 65 c8 but one thing that is really getting on my nerves is the aggressive dimming of dark scene caused by the asbl. I've been reading up on how to disable it through the service menu and i'm pretty confident I can set the tpc off without messing anything up. The one thing that worries me though is I've read a few people saying that just by entering the service menu voids your warranty. Does anyone know if that's actually true?. I'm going on almost a year with my c8 but I bought it from Costco which gives an additional year worth of coverage. thanks!
Historically, entering the SM for any mfr voided your warranty if something went wrong and they knew that you had been in the SM. Warranties usually cover mfr'ing defects or problems that are not user-created. That may have changed a bit but it is always something to keep in the back of your mind if something does go wrong.

I look at it this way. The Service Menu is for qualified service technicians, not the end-user. If I enter the SM and mess something up, LG (or whomever) is not responsible for what I did, so it's my problem and not theirs.

·
Registered
22,174 Posts
There's no such thing as "voiding a warranty". If you break it that's on you, but LG has to honor any warranty issue unless you caused it.
That said, I disabled that crap right away because it was either that or return the TV. I can't watch it at all like that. I was so very glad I did it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There's no such thing as "voiding a warranty". If you break it that's on you, but LG has to honor any warranty issue unless you caused it.
That said, I disabled that crap right away because it was either that or return the TV. I can't watch it at all like that. I was so very glad I did it.
I have a lg service remote and I know I will enjoy my c8 more if it wasn't dimming all the time on dark scenes. Have you entered your service menu recently at all? I'm just curious if I still have the correct method with the latest firmware- LG Service remote- In start button- pass 0413- navigate to 13. oled- set tpc from on to off- press exit button. Also, have you noticed any issues after disabling?

·
Registered
16,385 Posts
Isn't that what I said? The warranty is honored unless LG knows you broke it by messing around in an area where you are not supposed to be.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is it really that important to have logo luminance to low instead of off? It’s a matter of opinion I know... I thought I recalled reading as long as you switched up content enough it was pretty impossible for logos to cause any issues? I’ve always had mine on low but after reading the post here about it dimming more than the logo I decided to try it and I was shocked to see it dimmed the highlights on like the entire half of the screen, not just the logo or anywhere near it!! A particular scene with a FOX logo had that half of the screen filled with bright street lights and when toggling between low and off they very visibly dimmed and then brightened! Just as instantly as when the color temp switch is working properly! So l, I’d definitely prefer not to use low since it obviously really does affect more than it should on the screen.. since I switch up content quite a bit I think I’ll be okay. Just wondering others experiences with having it set to off.. any logo burn in or image retention issues? Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read/respond!

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
^I've never used that feature...and tbh the few times where I enabled it, I didn't notice it working. I've had it off for both my C8's.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Even a lousy after current model servicer company like Sony has now incorporated AirPlay 2 to their 2018 models, I wonder what is LG's excuse?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
^^Originally Sony was the one who was putting out OLED (very small) TVs, but now LG is OLED lord! They do not have to include anything since the OEM is selling so well. They are probably dedicating research elsewhere, just my thinking.

·
Registered
505 Posts
^I've never used that feature...and tbh the few times where I enabled it, I didn't notice it working. I've had it off for both my C8's.
Thank you so much for the response! That’s good to know that hopefully it’s super rare to incur burn in with logos simply from not activating this feature alone - would be from other circumstances of it already happening. I couldn’t believe when I flipped back and forth. Again last night a shirt on a character went from dim to perking up pretty intensely. I never thought anything of this affecting more than just the lower corner portion of the screen but it sure has mine.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
^no prob...if you do watch a ton of news, I would still enable the feature and use the low setting. My reasoning for not using it, is because I dont wanna constantly turn it on or off.

·
Registered
804 Posts
^no prob...if you do watch a ton of news, I would still enable the feature and use the low setting. My reasoning for not using it, is because I dont wanna constantly turn it on or off.
You don't need this for news, there's an ASND for it that can't be disabled.

·
Registered
LG 65C8, Marantz SR7013, Shield Pro 2019, Elite UDP-LX500, 2 - HSU VFT-3MK5 Subs, Polk 7 Spk Sur
954 Posts
They are probably dedicating research elsewhere, just my thinking.
Good point. My thinking is all manufactures are always looking for the next big thing. If I were to guess it would be some version MicroLED technology. Samsung is already there. It's just a matter of time before they figure out how to mass produce them & the consumer can afford them. When that happens, it goes mainstream.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I get my 65" C8 next Tuesday via FedEx Freight (Brandsmart). Is there a thread, or a post or two here, that summarizes the best practices for setting it up. I see the C9 has such thread but not really finding a summary for the C8. I assume:
1) settings from RTings or similar site
2) find best firmware thread and try to disable anything after that (is there a thread here that lists best/latest firmware that doesn't muck up)?

Thx
Ted

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I get my 65" C8 next Tuesday via FedEx Freight (Brandsmart). Is there a thread, or a post or two here, that summarizes the best practices for setting it up. I see the C9 has such thread but not really finding a summary for the C8. I assume:
1) settings from RTings or similar site
2) find best firmware thread and try to disable anything after that (is there a thread here that lists best/latest firmware that doesn't muck up)?

Thx
Ted

As for the firmware, the latest seems to be fine, you should be ok with that.

LG C9, C8, C6 w/Pioneer SC-LX502 AVR, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch

22421 - 22440 of 23965 Posts