AVS Forum banner

22681 - 22700 of 23788 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I have the LG C8 77 and the Amazon Prime video app updated about a week ago. The firmware is 5.10.35. Now since that Prime Video update the app errors out on all content before it opens. Click on play and the circle just spins then an error message is displayed. I checked Netflix and it works fine. I have a Tivo hooked up and Amazon Prime Video works just fine. Will not work at all on LG. Anyone else having this problem?
Have not had the problem with the LG but have had the connection problem with the TiVo. With the LG set on Amazon Prime unplug and reboot the TV set. That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Guys I have an Problem. On ISF dark the ABL is much stronger then ISF bright . On dark it dimms the screen so much , is this normal?

Gesendet von meinem GM1913 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Finally had some time to mess with my new ATV 4K and man it pairs very well with my 77C8! Gotta say its nice having so many more DV options, as unlike the competition, DV looks crisp bright and spectacular, the same as my LG player, also a shoutout to @sd13 for helping me set up correctly!

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Finally had some time to mess with my new ATV 4K and man it pairs very well with my 77C8! Gotta say its nice having so many more DV options, as unlike the competition, DV looks crisp bright and spectacular, the same as my LG player, also a shoutout to @sd13 for helping me set up correctly!

Congrats! Yes, they do pair very well with the C8's. I've been using one with my 65C8 ever since I bought the tv. There is some very good setup advice and explanations in the Networking, Media Servers and Content Streaming forum in the Apple TV section in the first posting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was thinking about Sony implementing Airplay 2 and HomeKit via software update into some of their 2018 models. I couldn’t recall what exactly was said/found regarding the implementation of this feature into the C8? Was it hardware issue, unknown, etc..? I couldn’t remember for sure but I remembered it being discussed and was hoping someone would be kind enough to jog my memory. Thanks in advance!

P.S.- I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday and everyone’s C8’s are enjoying their time off with the chaos of family time and holiday craze. 😌 lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have also noticed that dv is bright and crisp on my E8, way better than netflix dv.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was thinking about Sony implementing Airplay 2 and HomeKit via software update into some of their 2018 models. I couldn’t recall what exactly was said/found regarding the implementation of this feature into the C8? Was it hardware issue, unknown, etc..? I couldn’t remember for sure but I remembered it being discussed and was hoping someone would be kind enough to jog my memory. Thanks in advance!

P.S.- I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday and everyone’s C8’s are enjoying their time off with the chaos of family time and holiday craze. 😌 lol
I think it’s more a commercial concern than technical.
With airplay on 2018 lg oled, less people would swap for a 2019 model.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts

Seriously??? I'm all in on the Apple uverse, but I would never think of AirPlay 2 as a reason to upgrade and I've never read a single post where someone said they bought a new display for AirPlay. A 77" display for less then $3k, improvements in motion, color volume, etc. - most definitely. ATV4k will solve this for a lot less and as noted many times it seems as if it was made for those of us with an LG display. You also need to remember there are more than a few folks who could care less about AirPlay, Apple seems to be a love or hate for most.

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
As a new 65C8 owner I am loving the tv. The tips I've received from this forum, and the setup help from the Rtngs videos have really helped a lot. Thanks.

One stupid thing I did was to NOT pay attention to the HDR settings and simply go with RTngs recommendations (Cinema Home for DV, Technicolor Expert for non-DV HDR) but didn't realize that those settings needed work too. My first binge watch of The Mandalorian via the internal Disney+ app looked quite soap opera to me, then realized TrueMotion and other things were still set to on (clear, etc) for that til-then unused picture mode.

Net/net, I went in and did some changing but wondered if any of you C8 owners have some tried and true tips on those HDR picture modes. Thx

Edit: Nevermind, I found Hurin's nice post and will go with that for now.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2962154-2018-lg-c8-e8-owners-thread-no-price-talk-664.html#post58377104

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been messing around with watching Netflix through a couple of different devices and notice that when I open Netflix on my lg up970 4k player, my c8 immediately locks into DV hdr mode. Does anyone else who uses a up970 notice this? Do you think the issue would be with the player itself or maybe a tv setting? Thanks in advance.

·
Vendor
26,603 Posts
So I have two noob questions. I've got LG SL8Y soundbar for Christmas. It supports Atmos but C8 didn't have eARC sadly. Can I stream Atmos and which hdmi cable should I use, 1.4 or 2.0 or it doesn't matter?
I suggest HDMI 2.0 cables only today for everything, they have become so cheap, even certified ones!
Merry Christmas as well!
Yep, under 10 bucks online.......

Attachments

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I've been messing around with watching Netflix through a couple of different devices and notice that when I open Netflix on my lg up970 4k player, my c8 immediately locks into DV hdr mode. Does anyone else who uses a up970 notice this? Do you think the issue would be with the player itself or maybe a tv setting? Thanks in advance.

It could just be how the various devices play with Netflix. I'm perfectly happy to use just the ATV4k for all my streaming needs. NF looks mahvelous via the ATV4k (as do the other services).

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I just realized that my fire stick 4K always sends DV to the C8, regardless of content. Am watching St Vincent (Bill Murray) as 720p stream and it is stuck in DV (Cinema Home) and the result looks too popped and too much of a soap opera effect (even thou try motion is off in cinema home). Any ideas? Thx again

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I just realized that my fire stick 4K always sends DV to the C8, regardless of content. Am watching St Vincent (Bill Murray) as 720p stream and it is stuck in DV (Cinema Home) and the result looks too popped and too much of a soap opera effect (even thou try motion is off in cinema home). Any ideas? Thx again

I was using a Fire Stick for the tv out in the garage and it was garbage. I returned it and picked up a Roku 4k HDR stick. Works great for that tv. For serious viewing upstairs with the C8 I use the ATV4k and have zero issues with it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It could just be how the various devices play with Netflix. I'm perfectly happy to use just the ATV4k for all my streaming needs. NF looks mahvelous via the ATV4k (as do the other services).
Out of curiosity what are you watching on the ATV4K that isn’t available with the LG’s apps? Wondering if it was worth purchasing.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Yeah I thought of this. I think it may be a tiny contributing factor but not really reason enough for them to hold it back I don’t think. Hopefully in time they’ll decide to implement it. Doubtful I’m sure. Probably more likely for them to introduce an Apple TV+ app since they’ve been adding more apps lately and are very slowly focusing more on that I believe. Here’s to hoping!

·
Registered
505 Posts
At this point I really think it must be a wide spanning issue with devices in combination with TV’s. This is a known issue with the Netflix app on my UB820 player and have read of many other devices having this issue as well. It sounds like Netflix is the common denominator.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Out of curiosity what are you watching on the ATV4K that isn’t available with the LG’s apps? Wondering if it was worth purchasing.
I've never been a fan of SmartApps (too many issues and I haven't setup Atmos) so I use my ATV4k for NF Premium, Prime, PBS, NBA, MLB, ATT TV Now (my daughter's subscription ;)), HBO Go, AppleTV+ (free for a year because I just purchased a new laptop), and occasionally Hulu/YouTube but not very often. Right now we're watching the Warriors/Phoenix game. We have an NBA Season Pass but it doesn't cover NBA TV, which is broadcasting the game, so we're using the ATT TV Now (the old DirecTV Now) and can access NBA TV that way.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've never been a fan of SmartApps (too many issues and I haven't setup Atmos) so I use my ATV4k for NF Premium, Prime, PBS, NBA, MLB, ATT TV Now (my daughter's subscription ;)), HBO Go, AppleTV+ (free for a year because I just purchased a new laptop), and occasionally Hulu/YouTube but not very often. Right now we're watching the Warriors/Phoenix game. We have an NBA Season Pass but it doesn't cover NBA TV, which is broadcasting the game, so we're using the ATT TV Now (the old DirecTV Now) and can access NBA TV that way.
The LG apps have been flawless for me and I do have Atmos. Most of the rest I can or could get from Xfinity. My 2 year agreement is up in August so I will need to weigh my cord cutting options at that time.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
The LG apps have been flawless for me and I do have Atmos. Most of the rest I can or could get from Xfinity. My 2 year agreement is up in August so I will need to weigh my cord cutting options at that time.
I hear ya. As you know (you've seen my system) I can add Atmos speakers at any time but so far that hasn't passed the WAF so I'm in no hurry. Don't have nor have ever used ARC/eARC/CEC so that's another potential headache that I've been able to avoid. The only "tv" we get from Xfinity is our local broadcast stations in HD so there's no streaming there. I did return the Amazon Fire Stick for the tv out in the garage and picked up a Roku 4k HDR stick which works far better than the Amazon one and I can use Xfinity Stream on it (you can't on the Fire Stick) so I can get my local stations out in the garage when I'm toodling around in there and want to watch some tv (sports on broadcast tv or my MeTV Westerns ;)). Actually that Roku stick is pretty cool. Lots of options to pick from, and quite a few are free.

22681 - 22700 of 23788 Posts