AVS Forum banner

23561 - 23580 of 23842 Posts

·
Vendor
26,639 Posts
Not sure what to do from here. I left the TV off for 24 hours, held the power button for probably 30 seconds before plugging it in and it just acted like it woke up from stand by. I did one more factory reset and still having issues. Guess a call to LG support is in order.
Your set under warranty? Did you use a card that add one more year of coverage for free?

Thankfully I negotiated the two year Geek Squad warranty as part of the deal, and there is still seven months left.

The bad news is that my province is locked down with COVID till TBD, and for some reason TV repair isn't considered an essential service. So I'm at least 14 days away from a fix. Glad to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll keep the forum updated.
Good thing for that ;) If you used a card that adds a one year warranty you may have that as well after your extended warranty is up.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We have Dish Network which has a Netflix channel(300). It has it's own netflix app, which is different than the LG included Netfix app. I can understand that, but what I do not understand is the picture quality differences I see depending which app I use to stream Netflix content on the same TV. I need to study the differences a bit more, and I will report back. In the meantime, others that have Dish Network...please comment. BTW, same is true for Amazon prime app.
Surprised nobody has commented on this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Questions for you fine folks. I have been waiting to get an ATV4k for what seems like forever. I have been reading about the elevated black levels on the device when streaming Dolby vision content. Seems like this never got fixed, but read this was being addressed.

Guessing if it hasn’t been resolved by now, it’s never going to be.

Oled C8 owners, does the applet 4k device still show elevated blacks during Dolby vision content? Would the firestick 4k be a better alternative? What’s the best option?

I would still use Netflix and YouTube on native apps, but want the ability to stream hbo and other channels in my cable subscription as fios has such a limited amount of free content compared to the apps.

Appreciate any pointers or feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Questions for you fine folks. I have been waiting to get an ATV4k for what seems like forever. I have been reading about the elevated black levels on the device when streaming Dolby vision content. Seems like this never got fixed, but read this was being addressed.

Oled C8 owners, does the applet 4k device still show elevated blacks during Dolby vision content? Would the firestick 4k be a better alternative? What’s the best option?

I would still use Netflix and YouTube on native apps, but want the ability to stream hbo and other channels in my cable subscription as fios has such a limited amount of free content compared to the apps.

If you can wait a bit longer (as I am) Apple has announced that its first-ever online-only WWDC will begin Monday, June 22, A new updated Apple TV is supposed to be one of the new announcements. Hopefully with a fix for the elevated blacks problem.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Maybe it’s the content I’m watching but I’ve never had elevated blacks with my 65” C8 & ATV4K

·
Registered
818 Posts
Does anyone use the X finity Beta stream app on this TV? I'm wondering if the reason mine isn't working is because I'm on old 4. 15 firmware firmware? After launching xfin app I just see a screen for purchases.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Does anyone use the X finity Beta stream app on this TV? I'm wondering if the reason mine isn't working is because I'm on old 4. 15 firmware firmware? After launching xfin app I just see a screen for purchases.
I have tried it but think I was on my current firmware of .05.20.00 when I installed it. The app is OK. No 4K options and limited functionality so far. PQ is similar to the box and I was hoping for a more drastic improvement. I have the 4K box and can’t justify going exclusively to the app yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe it’s the content I’m watching but I’ve never had elevated blacks with my 65” C8 & ATV4K
Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I have only used the native apps, but have read so many posts, articles on this topic.
Out of curiosity, what hdmi cable are you using?

Are the raised blacks no longer an issue, or is this something that has just recently been addressed?

Just trying to gauge if this really is still a problem.

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
993 Posts
I have the same TV with the ATV4k and I have also never noticed an issue. Although to be fair, steaming movies isn't my primary way of watching them. I much prefer physical media. But when I do watch ATV and the content is DV...it seems fine to me.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I have only used the native apps, but have read so many posts, articles on this topic.
Out of curiosity, what hdmi cable are you using?

Are the raised blacks no longer an issue, or is this something that has just recently been addressed?

Just trying to gauge if this really is still a problem.
Monoprice certified premium

·
Registered
16,340 Posts

I've been using an ATV4k as the sole streaming device to my 65C8 for well over a year and have never noticed any elevated blacks on DV or HDR material. HDMI cables are short run cables (less than 10') and Premium High Speed HDMI cables (BJC) work as well as the Ruirpo4k cables that I've been testing for quite some time now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sl600, thanks for the response...i played around with the inputs as you suggested... but somehow i couldn't get back the arc...i will play around some more but right now i am back to the old inputs...

Where did you land with your issue on this? I just went from frontier to Comcast and I'm having issues. Normally I have my cable box go into the sat/cbl input on my AVR. And one master HDMI going to my tv through the ARC input. This setup allows for video and audio pass thru typically (which my pioneer sc1522k I believe can pass thru 4k but not upscale to 4k) to the tv. This works fine EXCEPT for when I want to use the surround speakers instead of the internal tv speakers. When receiver is in standby everything passes through and I have audio and video on the tv.

Once I put the receiver on I maintain video and lose audio. Can't figure it out for the life of me if it's a setting problem or something else.

So my next option is what you mentioned.... Buy a new long hdmi, take down the tv from the wall which I don't want to do, and run a 2nd HDMI. From the cable box to the HDMI 1 input skipping the avr. I just don't know how audio will return to the receiver. Will the ARC send it back or so I also need a long optical cable going from the tv to the receiver?

If I connect direct my cable box to the tv do I use optical from cable box straight to AVR or from the back to AVR? I have an optical in the back of the Comcast box connected to my AVR now and it does nothing. Comcast technical support even told me the port isn't active on the Comcast box which I think makes no sense and the lady just didn't know what she was talking about.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good evening all. Had my LG 55" E8 for... gosh, a year now? I also have a Nakamichi 7.1.4 soundbar with the Atmos Firmware update installed, an Xbox One X, PS4 (original), Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield, and my most recent purchase... the Panasonic UB820 4K disc player.

I pulled out the TV, dusted got everything connected how I wanted, and the new player is GREAT! I went into the settings and made sure it's set for my OLED TV, made sure the different options were setup and configured, and then as a simple test... put in my newest 4K disc, Rise Of Skywalker, and the picture looks GREAT, Atmos came up on the Nakamichi as it should... I'm mostly VERY happy!

My confusion is with getting the Nakamichi and the devices connected to it "labelled" correctly in the LG "Device Connector". I think the problem MAY be that when I originally set things up, I probably chose HDMI 2 as a soundbar, got it working, and I remember being able to rename and change the icon for the devices that were connected to it. Having change the devices connected to the sound bar, I want to rename them in the TV. But they keep showing previous names like Home Theater, Nvidia Shield, etc... and even when I run Device Connector, I can't seem to edit those devices, only the "top" device. Which, I'm guessing ISN'T set to soundbar, and when I go in and try to configure it as one... my Nakamichi soundbar doesn't appear until the list of manufacturers in the fourth step... even though my tv remote is working to control the sound of the soundbar, and 3 devices ARE listed under the HDMI 2 input as "sub inputs"... just with the wrong names.

I'm probably just being silly, but anyone understand what I'm asking... and know the fix? A lot of searching on Google, Nakamichi, and LG, and now here... and I haven't figured it out myself.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to get down this far! :)

Merk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Think I sorted my own issue. The Apple TV got renamed the name of the ROOM it was in... so it kept showing as "Home Theater" on the TV, instead of the device as I used to have it named. Fixed that, unplugged and replugged the HDMI, and now the name shows correctly!

Went to the Nvidia Shield, changed the name, rebooted, and it's still showing the OLD name. I'll check my router and see when I assign a static IP if I named it in there.

Finally, the 4K Player shows as "DVD Player", and I wish I could call it 4K player or something, but I didn't see anything in the DP820 menu's to "rename" the device... and that's close enough!

Many thanks to a buddy who suggested I unplug and replug everything... which I didn't do, but that had me go into the Apple TV settings and that's when I found the naming issue!!! :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Dumb question, but aesthetics are everything.

I have a 65" B8 with the smaller metal stand. I'm looking to sell this TV and purchase a 65" or 77" C8.

Can you put a 65 or 77" C8 on the 65" B8 stand? I can't find an answer, or if anyone has done this. B8 stands on eBay are like $50...

Thanks if anyone knows. And the reverse too! Can you put a B8 on a C8 Alpine stand?

·
Registered
473 Posts
We have Dish Network which has a Netflix channel(302). It has it's own netflix app, which is different than the LG included Netfix app. I can understand that, but what I do not understand is the picture quality differences I see depending which app I use to stream Netflix content on the same TV. I need to study the differences a bit more, and I will report back. In the meantime, others that have Dish Network...please comment. BTW, same is true for Amazon prime app.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am aware of the better processors in the C9 and CX which could incrementally improve SDR content. Also the better gaming features with HDMI 2.1. But from an overall picture quality standpoint the C8 is still holding its own. The CX doesn’t seem to be an improvement based on the CX thread discussions picture quality wise vs the C9. The same was said when the C9 was introduced vs the C8. When comparing the C8 to the C9 here is Rtings comparison: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c8-vs-lg-c9/600/802. The C8 has higher HDR peak brightness and has better pre and post calibration results. Would I be happy with a C9 or CX most definitely. But for those of us who have a C8 enjoy your set as I see no reason to upgrade especially if you have a panel with good uniformity and tinting. Now, D-Nice’s info on the Sony A8H has it showing some improvements with regards to BFI implementation which the C8 sucks at and is matching the dithering that the C8 firmware fixed. That set shows some promise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
C9 does have 2 huge features C8 lacks though - eARC for lossless bitstream and Apple TV. Right now you have to add a separate device to get those with the C8. Considering other manufacturers have released firmware updates to support either or both, LG is really lacking.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some things can be added by firmware, and are in LG's gift, like OS updates but as is posted from time to time that doesnt happen with TVs much.
Adding eARC depends upon the HDMI chipset fitted, and some devices like Denon amps were able to add it to previous years.
The ATV app and any IP that LG needs to add to the firmware has to come from Apple - so its Apple you have to ask about their support vs. Disney for instance who support most devices.
But eARC and ATV app were missing when we bought the C8 and anyone buying a C8 would have bought an ATV box by now and connected devices to their amp.
The one feature that's hard to work around and was a bigger surprise to see at the start of 2019 was HDMI 2.1. When sources and amps start to support it then that is a possible reason to upgrade if you need those features - PQ etc is fine on the C8 today as in 2018.

23561 - 23580 of 23842 Posts