AVS Forum banner

23761 - 23780 of 24192 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Does anyone recognise this problem? I already contacted LG but they do not recognise this and won't do anything. I send them the attached photo's of the Aquaman 4K Ultra HD disc in HDR10 and Dolby Vision, both in "Cinema" mode.
Do you have dynamic tone mapping enabled for HDR10? This has a tendency to brighten dark areas too much. I'd start by turning that off for a better comparison.

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,005 Posts
Do you have dynamic tone mapping enabled for HDR10? This has a tendency to brighten dark areas too much. I'd start by turning that off for a better comparison.
Even though you didn't ask me, I will answer and say I don't have DTM on mine turned on and my results were darn near identical to mhulsie.

A few questions:

Can a calibration get out of whack over time? Could my display have been fine after my calibration a year ago and somehow got bad over time for some reason?

Can this DV black crush even be fixed by another calibration? I would considering going down that route, if I knew it would work. My TV was calibrated by Robert Busch in the Bay Area. I'd like to think he knew what he was doing.

Thanks

·
Registered
822 Posts
Dolby Vision crushed blacks

Hi there!

I am having some trouble with Dolby Vision on my C8. It is going on for quite some time now. It's driving me crazy, as I am very pleased with the tv, except for this issue.

I generally watch movies/tv shows in a pitch black room. That's why I used "Cinema" mode for Dolby Vision content.
But the blacks seem severely crushed. I tried using "Cinema Home" but it blows out the highlights way to much. Also, if I am correct "Cinema Home" compensates for room lighting.

My temporary solution is to watch 4K Ultra HD discs with Dolby Vision in HDR10 mode. My 4k Ultra HD player has that option fortunately. I watch HDR10 in "Cinema" mode with no trouble, and way more detail than Dolby Vision in "Cinema" mode.

I would like to watch the Dolby Vision content, as the colors seem superior than in HDR10.

I am on the latest firmware: 5.10.45.

Does anyone recognise this problem? I already contacted LG but they do not recognise this and won't do anything. I send them the attached photo's of the Aquaman 4K Ultra HD disc in HDR10 and Dolby Vision, both in "Cinema" mode.
You can test it with these and report back (below that post you can see what others got with B8), and you can even check SDR and HDR10 as well.

·
Vendor
27,454 Posts
Good luck in your "fun" venture calibrating your OLED! Typically, I am not what you would call a "Do-It-Yourself-er," so I am opting for the "professional" to do it for me. (My dad was also not a "hands-on" guy, but he did teach me how to "write out a check":)).
Everyone has different skills and talents, you will learn a lot from Chad ;)

·
Registered
Receiver: Denon AVR-X1300W; TV: LG OLED55C8PLA; UHD player: SONY UBP-X700
36 Posts
I did not receive any notifications for these reactions, thanks for taking the time to react! :)

@mhulsie

I don't have an answer for you but regretfully, after I saw your post I recreated that exact scene on my C8 and was very dismayed to find my results pretty much identical to yours. What's worse, is my TV was Pro calibrated almost exactly a year ago and since then I had not given any thought to any of my TV settings. I just enjoyed my TV thinking it was fine. But apparently it isn't! Makes me wonder how many movies I have seen with lost black detail.

Do you have any other examples of scenes that clearly show black crush like your above photos show? I would like to try some more scenes like that one.

I know this could be a really dumb thing to ask/say but sometimes with these issues of black crush, I wonder how do we as the audience know that isn't what the creator intended? Maybe in the example above in DV, the jacket is suppose to be dark and the HDR version just has the brightness too high?

But back to the apparent DV Black crush on my display...this is one of those things I wish I could "Un-know." I'm a huge fan of Dolby Vision. I get excited when any UHD includes Dolby Vision. So this is a real bummer for me!

Curious to see if anyone else has any thoughts.
I'm sorry you have this problem to, and sorry for making you notice it! I don't think it is a dumb question regarding the creator's intent, especially since it is said that Dolby Vision is darker than HDR. But i must say that every movie that i saw had more often way more detail in HDR than in Dolby Vision so that makes me wonder.. I will check the test pattern posted by @chros73. Not for HDR or SDR, i didn't have any problems with these. Don't wake sleeping dogs ;p I am curious how the Dolby Vision test pattern works out for you.

I have dynamic tone mapping turned off.

You can test it with these and report back (below that post you can see what others got with B8), and you can even check SDR and HDR10 as well.
Thank you, i will check the Dolby Vision pattern.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I did not receive any notifications for these reactions, thanks for taking the time to react! :)

I'm sorry you have this problem to, and sorry for making you notice it! I don't think it is a dumb question regarding the creator's intent, especially since it is said that Dolby Vision is darker than HDR. But i must say that every movie that i saw had more often way more detail in HDR than in Dolby Vision so that makes me wonder.. I will check the test pattern posted by @chros73. Not for HDR or SDR, i didn't have any problems with these. Don't wake sleeping dogs ;p I am curious how the Dolby Vision test pattern works out for you.

I have dynamic tone mapping turned off.

Thank you, i will check the Dolby Vision pattern.

I appreciate the kind words. After spending some time on this with the various tests mentioned, and a lot of talk in the Spears & Munsil UHD disc thread, I don't think my TV has black crush. The Jessica Jones scenes referenced in the avforum thread looked fine to me. I hope you are able to work out any issues with your set.

·
Registered
48 Posts
New Public Over The Air Firmware release in Australia tonight 5.20.02 (Mon 3 August)
Have downloaded it and after a quick look I cannot see any changes or additions.
No change log information on the website yet.
I report the following version numbers for those who keep track:
Dolby Vision 1.5.0_17.02 and webOS TV version 4.2.0-7902 (goldilocks-gomolsha)

·
Registered
36 Posts
New Public Over The Air Firmware release in Australia tonight 5.20.02 (Mon 3 August)
Have downloaded it and after a quick look I cannot see any changes or additions.
I am at Dolby Vision 1.5.0_17.00 with 5.10.45 on my C8, in Europe. So it looks like they updated Dolby Vision?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Wow. This is very interesting, thanks! And thanks for the version numbers! :)

Just to check, this is not an Engineering firmware? I assume not since you did say "public", but there was an Engineering firmware which had the exact same version number (5.20.02) on 19th June 2019. I believe @Jrocker23 spotted it (could be wrong about that point).

WebOS 4.2.0-7902 (goldilocks-gomolsha) is a significant upgrade (from 4.1.4-5629 (goldilocks-glacier) in v5.10.45), so this can't be the above 2019 Eng firmware in disguise.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Where/how do you check the Dolby Vision version on a C8?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Wow. This is very interesting, thanks! And thanks for the version numbers! :)

Just to check, this is not an Engineering firmware? I assume not since you did say "public", but there was an Engineering firmware which had the exact same version number (5.20.02) on 19th June 2019. I believe @Jrocker23 spotted it (could be wrong about that point).

WebOS 4.2.0-7902 (goldilocks-gomolsha) is a significant upgrade (from 4.1.4-5629 (goldilocks-glacier) in v5.10.45), so this can't be the above 2019 Eng firmware in disguise.
Funny, there is a new engineering firmware 05.30.02 and it has the same web os & dv version as the new Australian 05.20.02 released.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,669 Posts
This is very interesting. I sort of figured that the updates were done with now that the C9 had been out in the wild for awhile. Haven't seen anything here yet on West Coast. Need to go upstairs and check. The Dolby Vision version is nice as well. Didn't realize it was at the bottom past Available Internal Storage. What's Widevine btw?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
This is very interesting. I sort of figured that the updates were done with now that the C9 had been out in the wild for awhile. Haven't seen anything here yet on West Coast. Need to go upstairs and check. The Dolby Vision version is nice as well. Didn't realize it was at the bottom past Available Internal Storage. What's Widevine btw?
I don't know what widevine is...

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Funny, there is a new engineering firmware 05.30.02 and it has the same web os & dv version as the new Australian 05.20.02 released.
Hmm, whilst that is very interesting it's a pity you installed it :(. For all the people who've been "marooned" on Eng firmware 5.20.02/03 for the last year, this new public branch 5.20.02 could have been your way of salvation back onto public firmwares, as I would assume that the next one would be 5.20.04 or higher, and you would have been home free!
But if you've installed 5.30.* you've only put yourself into a brand new prison ;)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hmm, whilst that is very interesting it's a pity you installed it :(. For all the people who've been "marooned" on Eng firmware 5.20.02/03 for the last year, this new public branch 5.20.02 could have been your way of salvation back onto public firmwares, as I would assume that the next one would be 5.20.04 or higher, and you would have been home free!
But if you've installed 5.30.* you've only put yourself into a brand new prison ;)
Im ok with it. I got back on the original firmware when i was on the last engineering firmware. Lg did a one time remote login which cost me $50 but i couldn't resist this time because i was having issues with some apps like Disney + and others not being able to update.

I tried the new engineering firmware since several attempts with lg cs couldn't fix the issue.

Now everything works and I'm happy. I know I'm stuck here now.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Fair enough!
In the interests of info, I just switched from user mode to eng mode to see if it would offer me anything over here - it didn't!

·
Registered
36 Posts
WebOS 4.2.0-7902 (goldilocks-gomolsha) is a significant upgrade (from 4.1.4-5629 (goldilocks-glacier) in v5.10.45)
I searched the forum and found a comment (from 2019) saying 5.20.02 really fixed some gamma problems, this comment was mentioning SDR. Maybe they have tinkered with Dolby Vision gamma also? :) Still have my hopes up!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im ok with it. I got back on the original firmware when i was on the last engineering firmware. Lg did a one time remote login which cost me $50 but i couldn't resist this time because i was having issues with some apps like Disney + and others not being able to update.

I tried the new engineering firmware since several attempts with lg cs couldn't fix the issue.

Now everything works and I'm happy. I know I'm stuck here now.

This is odd because I've called LG numerous times in the past year to try and get off the eng firmware. No matter who I spoke with or how far it escalated the only solution they'd give me was to contact a local LG supported repair tech.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
This is odd because I've called LG numerous times in the past year to try and get off the eng firmware. No matter who I spoke with or how far it escalated the only solution they'd give me was to contact a local LG supported repair tech.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
My issue was a while ago probably over a year. I posted here when i had the issue and what lg did. I have heard that they didn't help everyone & even my friend was stuck there

23761 - 23780 of 24192 Posts