AVS Forum banner

23781 - 23800 of 24191 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
My issue was a while ago probably over a year. I posted here when i had the issue and what lg did. I have heard that they didn't help everyone & even my friend was stuck there

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
:(

Hopefully this 5.20.02 that has popped up will make its way to the US since I'm stuck on 5.20.00.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,669 Posts
I'm still on the 5.10.45 version and I just checked and there is no Dolby Version firmware version listed. Must be on European models or something that comes with the "new" firmware update.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I searched the forum and found a comment (from 2019) saying 5.20.02 really fixed some gamma problems, this comment was mentioning SDR. Maybe they have tinkered with Dolby Vision gamma also? :) Still have my hopes up!
Dolby Vision does not use "gamma", that's the EOTF which SDR uses.
HDR10 and Dolby Vision use PQ, which is completely different :)

·
Registered
Receiver: Denon AVR-X1300W; TV: LG OLED55C8PLA; UHD player: SONY UBP-X700
36 Posts
Ah thanks! I have still much to learn, i like following this topic. But in that case, I hope they tinkered with the PQ ;p

·
Registered
822 Posts
It does use it internally at the end of processing (as we discussed it back in the past :)).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow. This is very interesting, thanks! And thanks for the version numbers! :)

Just to check, this is not an Engineering firmware? I assume not since you did say "public", but there was an Engineering firmware which had the exact same version number (5.20.02) on 19th June 2019. I believe @Jrocker23 spotted it (could be wrong about that point).

WebOS 4.2.0-7902 (goldilocks-gomolsha) is a significant upgrade (from 4.1.4-5629 (goldilocks-glacier) in v5.10.45), so this can't be the above 2019 Eng firmware in disguise.
Sorry for the delay in replying.
It is a new day here as we are +16.5 hrs ahead of west coast USA and +8.5 hrs ahead of UK (8:11 am 4 Aug ACST)
This is a public release as I have never accessed the service menu to gain access to engineering firmware. My last firmware prior to update was 05.10.45.
Still no change log information for the new firmware on the Australian LG website, but that is not unusual as FOTA releases usually precede the downloads.
Australia usually get their updates sooner than other regions because of time differences, so other regions should follow shortly.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm still on the 5.10.45 version and I just checked and there is no Dolby Version firmware version listed. Must be on European models or something that comes with the "new" firmware update.
North American models have always had it.

Dolby Version info is under general-about tv-tv information then scroll down to the bottom

·
Registered
48 Posts
No Apple tv yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't see any obvious changes to menus or additional apps.
Looked for the Apple TV app and Airplay introduction, so unless they are in an obscure location, it doesn't seem we are getting these now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is very interesting. I sort of figured that the updates were done with now that the C9 had been out in the wild for awhile. Haven't seen anything here yet on West Coast. Need to go upstairs and check. The Dolby Vision version is nice as well. Didn't realize it was at the bottom past Available Internal Storage. What's Widevine btw?
Widevine is a DRM solution, used for content decryption... likely for the LG store/TV Plus and other WebOS streaming applications.

·
Registered
16,669 Posts
North American models have always had it.

Dolby Version info is under general-about tv-tv information then scroll down to the bottom

Hmmm, lemme check again. I did see the down arrow after the Available Internal Storage but it wouldn't scroll any further.

EDIT: found it. Version is 1.5.0_17.00. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I had my set on Engineering mode for the last few weeks. Initially I was prompted for .05.30.02 and didn’t go for it as I am one who is “stuck” on .05.20.00 and learned my lesson. Then the last couple of days I was prompted .05.20.02 and also didn’t go for it still being on engineering mode. I switched to user mode today and will stay there until an official OTA or website version. I had my set calibrated on .05.20.00 and it looks fantastic so I believe that firmware was fine. I did miss out on a near black improvement Vincent mentioned on an official firmware after Engineering .05.20.00 was released and also the Disney app which was introduced after also so having those potentially coming soon will be a plus. Now us Apple folks still wait for the Apple update firmware it looks like.

·
Vendor
27,454 Posts
Im ok with it. I got back on the original firmware when i was on the last engineering firmware. Lg did a one time remote login which cost me $50 but i couldn't resist this time because i was having issues with some apps like Disney + and others not being able to update.

I tried the new engineering firmware since several attempts with lg cs couldn't fix the issue.

Now everything works and I'm happy. I know I'm stuck here now.
Very cool, I think you are the first guy I have seen have a remote login done.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So during the past year or so I had some fun (no not really:p) with like 10 TVs/Projectors, some cheap, some expensive including 4 Panasonic GZ2000s and all of them were terrible so now I bought back my old C8 that I had sold to my father. Thank god I still got a good amount of money back from selling the panasonic-near-black-overshooting-edge-glowing-tinted-abomination. :sick:

The C8 still doesn't have burn-in which is good but what I've found is that it has like 30 dead pixels, all at the top edge...While this isn't a huge issue I still wonder how this happened. :unsure:

Picture showing the top left corner where most of the dead pixels are:

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Nice to have you back, @jk82 !
That does look odd. No clue how it happened either. But if you enabled the "screen shift", then it may get cropped :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Nice to have you back, @jk82 !
That does look odd. No clue how it happened either. But if you enabled the "screen shift", then it may get cropped :)
I mostly watch movies and most TV shows aren't 16:9 either so really not a big deal as long as those dead pixels stay at the very edge. On PC I can even shift the picture down 1 pixel. :)

I'm currently using a 3DLUT in combination with a reset/unity 1DLUT. I think it was one of your posts that made me aware that this brings back the old dithering method. While I didn't check any of the torture test scenes for near-black overshoot I'm very happy with this so far. I have used the C8 for about 2 weeks now...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Haven't been here in a while, but how the heck does one search within a thread now? I guess I could have posted this anywhere but I am a C8 owner haha.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Haven't been here in a while, but how the heck does one search within a thread now? I guess I could have posted this anywhere but I am a C8 owner haha.
Go to the "Search Community" box above and type in what you are searching for. You will then have THREE OPTIONS to choose from...choose the THIRD OPTION (Search...in this DISCUSSION) and then click the Search icon. You will be amazed at how fast the search is!

·
Registered
Receiver: Denon AVR-X1300W; TV: LG OLED55C8PLA; UHD player: SONY UBP-X700
36 Posts
Just installed 5.20.02 on my C8, living in Europe. I had issues with Dolby Vision black crush, but at first sight it seems better now. I will test in a pitch black room tonight!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just installed 5.20.02 on my C8, living in Europe. I had issues with Dolby Vision black crush, but at first sight it seems better now. I will test in a pitch black room tonight!
Test with these and report back.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I mostly watch movies and most TV shows aren't 16:9 either so really not a big deal as long as those dead pixels stay at the very edge. On PC I can even shift the picture down 1 pixel. :)

I'm currently using a 3DLUT in combination with a reset/unity 1DLUT. I think it was one of your posts that made me aware that this brings back the old dithering method. While I didn't check any of the torture test scenes for near-black overshoot I'm very happy with this so far. I have used the C8 for about 2 weeks now...
Wow, welcome back! You were missed! :) I will post shortly a new discovery on doom9...

23781 - 23800 of 24191 Posts