AVS Forum banner

23801 - 23820 of 24192 Posts

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Just installed 5.20.02 on my C8, living in Europe. I had issues with Dolby Vision black crush, but at first sight it seems better now. I will test in a pitch black room tonight!
Also just installed it.

Please can someone with an earlier firmware check in the Service Menu, 13. OLED options, and confirm if they have the GSR option? I think it's been added to the menu. Default "on".

an old pic I had:

Part of me wishes I hadn't cropped it so much - but anyway., today's version of the same menu, after updating:

EDIT: @jrref I wonder if you know what this option does?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go to the "Search Community" box above and type in what you are searching for. You will then have THREE OPTIONS to choose from...choose the THIRD OPTION (Search...in this DISCUSSION) and then click the Search icon. You will be amazed at how fast the search is!
Thanks. I guess that was too easy for me to figure out on own. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Receiver: Denon AVR-X1300W; TV: LG OLED55C8PLA; UHD player: SONY UBP-X700
36 Posts
Also just installed it.
Nice! I'm curious what this GSR option is. Some googling left me with "Gamma shift ratio" but that would be "the extent of gamma variation at off-axis to the normal direction". In other words, "how bad are the viewing angles".

·
Vendor
27,454 Posts
So during the past year or so I had some fun (no not really:p) with like 10 TVs/Projectors, some cheap, some expensive including 4 Panasonic GZ2000s and all of them were terrible so now I bought back my old C8 that I had sold to my father. Thank god I still got a good amount of money back from selling the panasonic-near-black-overshooting-edge-glowing-tinted-abomination. :sick:

The C8 still doesn't have burn-in which is good but what I've found is that it has like 30 dead pixels, all at the top edge...While this isn't a huge issue I still wonder how this happened. :unsure:

Picture showing the top left corner where most of the dead pixels are:
Never seen that, did you use a credit card that extends the warranty on the TV? Maybe look into that......

·
Registered
LG 65C8, Marantz SR7013, Shield Pro 2019, Elite UDP-LX500, 2 - HSU VFT-3MK5 Subs, Polk 7 Spk Sur
954 Posts
Got the 5.20.02 update overnight.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Also just installed it.
Please can someone with an earlier firmware check in the Service Menu, 13. OLED options, and confirm if they have the GSR option? I think it's been added to the menu. Default "on".
I'm still on 05.10.45 and don't have this option. I wonder what it does, if anything... :unsure:

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Thanks. I'm told that the option is present on the C9.
I can't think of a time before when an entire feature is added to the SM by a firmware upgrade like that. So it's not something LG have done lightly. The fact that they have done it 2 years after I bought the TV is something that I find encouraging, from a support perspective.

But I'm champing at the bit to find out what it does!

·
Registered
LG 65C8, Marantz SR7013, Shield Pro 2019, Elite UDP-LX500, 2 - HSU VFT-3MK5 Subs, Polk 7 Spk Sur
954 Posts
The fact that they have done it 2 years after I bought the TV is something that I find encouraging, from a support perspective.
I had assumed it was 2 years & out for support. My 2 years were up last month. Glad I was sitting when I saw the update! ;)
Wonder if it's competitor pressure (?). :unsure: Samsung did a DLP chip replacement out of the blue on our previous set long after the warranty had expired.
In any case, this is a good sign. (y)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The way these FW updates are distributed is really weird. I had to check for updates like 10 times or so until it offered me 05.20.02

·
Registered
480 Posts
My update prompt came with power on today. Installed it, very curious about what it does.

Atlanta Georgia

·
Registered
Receiver: Denon AVR-X1300W; TV: LG OLED55C8PLA; UHD player: SONY UBP-X700
36 Posts
Test with these and report back.
I tested Dolby Vision with the black pulge test pattern. In a pitch black room I could barely see the two vertical bars on the right when I set the brightness to 52.
On default brightness (50) I only saw one bar on the right.

When brightness set at 52, there are raised blacks (which I think defeats the purpose of OLED and Dolby Vision in general) and even then it doesn't look like I think it should.

I guess my excitement regarding a black crush fix was based on placebo. Also, the room wasn't pitch black.
I know that Dolby Vision can be darker than HDR, but I can't imagine this superior HDR format should be hiding so much detail compared to HDR10. In basically every source I tested, HDR10 has way more detail in shadows, clothing etc. Therefore HDR10 looks way more natural.

Luckily I can watch Dolby Vision UHD discs in the HDR10 core with my UHD player.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So about this "GSR" option in the service menu that was added in the 05.20.02 firmware.

I think I figured out what it does.

Remember the undefeatable dimming of the whole picture when there are static logos present? This topic comes up from time to time and annoys especially sport watchers.
I tested this last year in this post:

I just ran the same test again, to be sure I did it 2 times with "GSR on" and 2 times with "GSR off".

The result:
GSR on: after 4 minutes the picture was dimmed down from 135 to 83 nits. :mad:
GSR off: No dimming at all after 10 minutes! :D

So that's what it does. It disables this new dimming algorithm, which was added to 2018 TVs and which is separate from the long known ASBL.

Now I wonder what GSR stands for and also why did LG add this option, do they want people to be able to disable this dimming algorithm? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
^ if it means having to go to the service menu to disable it, not many people will use it.
You mean everyone will continue to use it [the dimming feature, by default], and not many people will disable it? Yes, sure. But for the people who found it made their lives hell, a great solution. I've never even noticed it in my own viewing. Well done LG! And thanks to @jk82 for the brilliant detective work!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've never even noticed it in my own viewing.
Me neither, I really only use this TV for movies/tv shows which don't have any static logos, so I will just keep GSR enabled. ASBL (TPC in the service menu) on the other hand is something I have to keep disabled as that one can trigger during dark non-static movie scenes...

·
Registered
412 Posts
^^ the dimming occurs frequently when I watch football (soccer) to the point I have to zoom in so the tickers are all cropped out. Also happens a fair bit watching animated shows like Family Guy. So, soon as i get this update, that is getting turned off! Thanks for the investigative work :)

23801 - 23820 of 24192 Posts