AVS Forum banner

23821 - 23840 of 24196 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
You mean everyone will continue to use it [the dimming feature, by default], and not many people will disable it? Yes, sure. But for the people who found it made their lives hell, a great solution. I've never even noticed it in my own viewing. Well done LG! And thanks to @jk82 for the brilliant detective work!
Same here. I've never noticed it either, even on sports. I really dislike going into the SM so for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;). Still haven't seen the update up here in the Pacific Northwest but I'm sure it will eventually make it's way here.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
When it does make its way to the websites, who thinks LG will mention it in the release notes? I'd love to see what wording it gets, if any!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
^^ These days with SW updates it involves so many things that get tinkered with so I doubt LG can say that they fixed this or really messed up somewhere else!

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
^^ These days with SW updates it involves so many things that get tinkered with so I doubt LG can say that they fixed this or really messed up somewhere else!
They'll be hard-pressed to beat the 5.10.40 changelog!
"Add HEVC logo to user guide".
That was it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
So about this "GSR" option in the service menu that was added in the 05.20.02 firmware.

View attachment 3025587

I think I figured out what it does.

Remember the undefeatable dimming of the whole picture when there are static logos present? This topic comes up from time to time and annoys especially sport watchers.
I tested this last year in this post:

I just ran the same test again, to be sure I did it 2 times with "GSR on" and 2 times with "GSR off".

The result:
GSR on: after 4 minutes the picture was dimmed down from 135 to 83 nits. :mad:
GSR off: No dimming at all after 10 minutes! :D

So that's what it does. It disables this new dimming algorithm, which was added to 2018 TVs and which is separate from the long known ASBL.

Now I wonder what GSR stands for and also why did LG add this option, do they want people to be able to disable this dimming algorithm? :rolleyes:
Amazing found, thanks! (although I still stuck on 4.10.25 with B8 :))

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got the Update Yesterday, went into SM today and disabled GSR and watched a soccer Match on Television and i can confirm:
The autodimming Problem when watching Sports is gone.
Never tought the difference would be so huge.
It was really the only Thing that bothered me on my C8.
The Auto dimming was a Feature and Bug at the same time. I can understand why LG implemented it. But it was poorly implemented.

Thanks LG for giving us the possibility to disable it and thx jk82 for finding the new "Feature". Would have never guessed to Look in the SM or even to Change that Option.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Interesting to find some info here about GSR, I asked about it on CX thread because it was added to CX on 03.10.20 FW and didn't have an answer.

·
Vendor
27,483 Posts
^^ the dimming occurs frequently when I watch football (soccer) to the point I have to zoom in so the tickers are all cropped out. Also happens a fair bit watching animated shows like Family Guy. So, soon as i get this update, that is getting turned off! Thanks for the investigative work :)
Speaking of Family guy, have you watched Orville? I thought that was a great series.... Waiting on season 3.....

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
So, to GSR or not to GSR? That is the question :unsure:.
A small number of people noticed the dimming and it drove them crazy. For them it's a relief and they can disable it knowing the risks.
But I would say most people haven't noticed, so it doesn't bother us so we'll leave it as it is.

@Cleveland Plasma yep I really like The Orville. There will be a huuuuuuuge vacuum of missing programmes next year (and beyond), when all the series that would have been made this year just won't exist to be shown.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
A small number of people noticed the dimming and it drove them crazy. For them it's a relief and they can disable it knowing the risks.
But I would say most people haven't noticed, so it doesn't bother us so we'll leave it as it is.

@Cleveland Plasma yep I really like The Orville. There will be a huuuuuuuge vacuum of missing programmes next year (and beyond), when all the series that would have been made this year just won't exist to be shown.
Yeah, that's sorta what I thought. I'll just wait till I see the update and see what happens between then and now as more folks report back with any other changes, if any.

I'm with ya on The Orville as well. That looked really good on the C8.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I worry that folks using their C8 as a computer monitor might cause some damage using that switch. For my usage, no problem at all turning the dimming off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One year and a half with lg c8 65 and I have never noticed this dimming? Is it so noticeable or you have to try to see it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got the Update Yesterday, went into SM today and disabled GSR and watched a soccer Match on Television and i can confirm:
The autodimming Problem when watching Sports is gone.
Never tought the difference would be so huge.
It was really the only Thing that bothered me on my C8.
The Auto dimming was a Feature and Bug at the same time. I can understand why LG implemented it. But it was poorly implemented.

Thanks LG for giving us the possibility to disable it and thx jk82 for finding the new "Feature". Would have never guessed to Look in the SM or even to Change that Option.
I bet they put this feature in now as most if not all of the panels have thousands of hours on them so the burn-in rate would be reduced greatly. So they wont have an abundance of service calls/warranty work to replace the screens.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
I bet they put this feature in now as most if not all of the panels have thousands of hours on them so the burn-in rate would be reduced greatly. So they wont have an abundance of service calls/warranty work to replace the screens.
There shouldn't be a lot of warranty work anyway because you need to know about it and go into the service menu to change it, and you shouldn't be anywhere near the SM unless you are willing to take responsibility for anything you do in there. LG can find out if you've been in there, and going in there invalidates the warranty I'd expect.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
There shouldn't be a lot of warranty work anyway because you need to know about it and go into the service menu to change it, and you shouldn't be anywhere near the SM unless you are willing to take responsibility for anything you do in there. LG can find out if you've been in there, and going in there invalidates the warranty I'd expect.
It definitely does invalidate the warranty. When i called them about getting me back on the current C8 firmware last year. Not only did they charge me, they told me my warranty was now cancelled and any future repaires needed world be 100% out of my pocket.

They had my warranty cancelled immediately after the repair

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
You sold your dad your old TV instead of just giving it to him?! Wow...
It wasn't his "old TV"! It was a top of the range current model OLED! I'm sure he had a good price :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You sold your dad your old TV instead of just giving it to him?! Wow...
Well, I didn't charge much... Also I bought it back for the same amount. :cool:

I'm not rich and it was just an easy way to get rid of it and skip all the hassle that would've come with ebaying it.

But for now I'm done with TVs, at least for this year. I'll just keep the C8.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im aware that going into SM will end the waranty. I rather Take the risk and dont have to Deal With the annoying dimming Bug.
I dont Play games or use it as an PC Monitor so i dont think i will get any burn-in problems.
If you watch movies and normal tv you should be safe to disable GSR.

Interesting that many people didnt even noticed the Problem. Maybe They didnt watch any Sport. For These people there is no use in entering SM.
For me the problem was so obvious that im glad there is finally fix

23821 - 23840 of 24196 Posts