AVS Forum banner

23961 - 23980 of 24151 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
No idea what was happening before, but to deal with the hear and now: you need eARC to carry lossless DTS-HD MA. It can't be done over ARC so your problem is the limitations of ARC, not any recent change. This is why eARC was created, so that lossless formats could be carried, and we don't have eARC on our TVs.
I have been sacrificing many a headaches to the altar of "please will you LG!!" for the eARC firmware update but that seems to be a lost cause. (I'm saving up for the just released Marantz 7015) My Denon AV receiver did not work at all with ARC and C8, and i'm happy to at least have the DTS through. But it is weird that my Onkyo reported DTS-HD stream before and now only DTS, this would suggest that there has been some funkiness with the ARC all along. I think i was on the 5.10.45 before yesterdays update. Perhaps now it's as it should have and we can completely for get the eARC on the 8 series...Or they cleaned the ARC side of firmware to prep for the eARC...Can't really get my hopes up anymore.

·
Vendor
27,146 Posts
I absolutely agree Otto! These OLEDs look amazing "right out of the box" as long as you use one of the ISF Modes or Technicolor for SDR and the Default Cinema Modes for HDR and Dolby Vision.

Having said that, I can tell the difference after Chad's calibration. To repeat myself the "shadow details" are probably the biggest improvement, and then there are DEPTH and FLESH TONES...those are definitely noticeable. Is a Pro Calibration worth the bucks you shell out? That depends! I'll stop there!!;)
Some sets are worse then others from the factory as well, so calibration can help out even more in some cases......

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
I have been sacrificing many a headaches to the altar of "please will you LG!!" for the eARC firmware update but that seems to be a lost cause.
[...]
Perhaps now it's as it should have and we can completely for get the eARC on the 8 series...Or they cleaned the ARC side of firmware to prep for the eARC...Can't really get my hopes up anymore.
Since it would need a hardware change, there's no magic firmware that could somehow give you eARC. It was a lost cause even before you started, sorry.

No problems with my current Denon 4200W and ARC on my LG C8 (over and above the normal ARC problems that anyone can have caused by ARC itself).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since it would need a hardware change, there's no magic firmware that could somehow give you eARC. It was a lost cause even before you started, sorry.

No problems with my current Denon 4200W and ARC on my LG C8 (over and above the normal ARC problems that anyone can have caused by ARC itself).
So it's lower spec chipsets on the PCB so they just can not push eARC with firmware update like 99.9% of other bigger manufactures in the home entertainment market. Then i don't mind i did not pay full price on the C8 and waited for it to drop with the 9-series launch :) Actually gives bit of serenity to my live and thus i can devote more to efforts to the malt gods for some more zen :)

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
So it's lower spec chipsets on the PCB so they just can not push eARC with firmware update like 99.9% of other bigger manufactures in the home entertainment market. Then i don't mind i did not pay full price on the C8 and waited for it to drop with the 9-series launch :) Actually gives bit of serenity to my live and thus i can devote more to efforts to the malt gods for some more zen :)
Some mfrs had their HDMI 2.0 chipsets designed to take a firmware update for eARC, but that was mostly for receivers. I know my receiver was updated for eARC but I don't need/want ARC/eARC so it was useless to me.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
So it's lower spec chipsets on the PCB
Eh? It's the chipset as designed. Not "lower spec" at all.

So they just can not push eARC with firmware update like 99.9% of other bigger manufactures in the home entertainment market.
No. To my knowledge there has been no television released with ARC that had a later firmware to enable eARC. A small number of AVRs, but not even one TV, so I don't know where your figure comes from.

·
Registered
4 Posts

No. To my knowledge there has been no television released with ARC that had a later firmware to enable eARC. A small number of AVRs, but not even one TV, so I don't know where your figure comes from.
The usual place "internet of misinformation and fogs of rumor". I have no issues what so ever if this is by design on hardware level. Than i can understand. Sometimes you stumble upon the design choices manufactures make to save quarter on the production costs by choosing "lower spec" part over the "standard".
Well, glad that's settled then :)

One thing i do find interesting is that if i now select the actual DTS track for a stream i get no audio at all from my Onkyo, funny how things shuffle around. :D

Thank you for the expertise on this, pleasant to find actually facts for once.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
The usual place "internet of misinformation and fogs of rumor". I have no issues what so ever if this is by design on hardware level. Than i can understand. Sometimes you stumble upon the design choices manufactures make to save quarter on the production costs by choosing "lower spec" part over the "standard".
Well, glad that's settled then :)

One thing i do find interesting is that if i now select the actual DTS track for a stream i get no audio at all from my Onkyo, funny how things shuffle around. :D

Thank you for the expertise on this, pleasant to find actually facts for once.
Do keep in mind that HDMI 2.1 consists of a set of option standards, but they are not mandatory. So if a mfr chooses to offer at least 1 of those options, they can claim HDMI 2.1 as long as they list which options are available. And if the mfr chooses to use custom chipsets, implementation may be an issue which could translate to compatibility problems.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Hello,

I have had an annoying screen flickering problem when using certain discs in my Sony Blu-ray. They are always music discs or the Stereophile test discs. Regular movies will flicker until the movie starts and then it is fine.

The Sony site recommends turning off the Ultra Deep Color for HDMI in the TV settings which does take care of the flickering problem. I am wondering what I lose by turning it off and do I need to turn it back on when watching Blu Ray and streaming?

Thanks,

PG55

·
Registered
19 Posts

Actually I believe Sony OLED added eARC to their TV via firmware update and didn't have a 2.1 chipset.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Actually I believe Sony OLED added eARC to their TV via firmware update and didn't have a 2.1 chipset.
Some mfrs designed their HDMI 2.0 chipsets to allow eARC and VRR, both of which are HDMI 2.1 options but possible on the HDMI 2.0 chipsts. Sony did something similar a few years back when HDMI 2.0 was first introduced by increasing the clock speed of their HDMI 1.4 chipsets to 10.2Gbps, which was part of HDMI 2.0 protocols and claimed they had upgraded their HDMI 1.4 chips to HDMI 2.0.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Some mfrs designed their HDMI 2.0 chipsets to allow eARC and VRR, both of which are HDMI 2.1 options but possible on the HDMI 2.0 chipsts. Sony did something similar a few years back when HDMI 2.0 was first introduced by increasing the clock speed of their HDMI 1.4 chipsets to 10.2Gbps, which was part of HDMI 2.0 protocols and claimed they had upgraded their HDMI 1.4 chips to HDMI 2.0.
Do you mean 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0 speed, 10.2Gbps was 1.3/1.4 speed)

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Do you mean 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0 speed, 10.2Gbps was 1.3/1.4 speed)
No. 10.2Gbps is within the range of HDMI 2.0, which indeed does go up to 18Gbps. HDMI 1.4 has a data rate of up to 8.91Gbps. HDMI 2.0 has a data rate that starts at 8.91Gbps upwards. Sony was called out on that but technically they were correct. A lot of users were confused at the time.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
No. 10.2Gbps is within the range of HDMI 2.0, which indeed does go up to 18Gbps. HDMI 1.4 has a data rate of up to 8.91Gbps. HDMI 2.0 has a data rate that starts at 8.91Gbps upwards. Sony was called out on that but technically they were correct. A lot of users were confused at the time.
Everything I can find says 1.3 introduced the 10.2Gbps bandwidth (8.16Gbps effective due to 8b/10b bit encoding in TMDS).

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Everything I can find says 1.3 introduced the 10.2Gbps bandwidth (8.16Gbps effective due to 8b/10b bit encoding in TMDS).
There is some confusion on HDMI in general but from what I read, when Sony did this, users were complaining that they weren't getting the bit depth and other options that they expected from HDMI 2.0. Sony just increased the clock speed on some of their HDMI 1.4 panels and claimed they had upgraded those sets to 2.0 without mentioning that not all of the HDMI 2.0 options were available. While technically correct, it was more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Has anyone who has done the GSR option seen any other side effects? I really want to use it and get rid of the dimming but concerned it may do more than just that. Don’t want to mess up my TV.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Has anyone who has done the GSR option seen any other side effects? I really want to use it and get rid of the dimming but concerned it may do more than just that. Don’t want to mess up my TV.
If you don't like what you see or feel it's changing something else, you could always turn it back on

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hmm.. I've got some pretty bad overwatch ultimate meter burn in on my 77c8. Do I have any options to fix it?

Looks exactly like this:

Edit: Not my image, but same problem. I've tried pixel refresher every night for a few weeks and still there, and this burn-in has been there for probably ~1yr. I've been too busy/lazy to look into fixing it until now.

23961 - 23980 of 24151 Posts