AVS Forum banner

5381 - 5400 of 24151 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just turned my TV on and got the update - 04.10.05, East Coast. As soon as I put the batteries back in my Magic Remote it did the software upgrade as well.

Nothing available yet on the West Coast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
Love the new firmware as dynamic tone mapping for game mode is much improved :D

Reactions: player002

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey guys...after watching Maniac on Netflix, which is in Dolby Vision, I have some questions/comments on Dolby Vision Cinema Home vs. Cinema (User):

The White Balance in Home is set to "2 Points", and is all zeroes for both High and Low.

The White Balance in User is set to "20 Points IRE", with IRE at 100, and all zeroes for R, G and B.

What is the difference(s) between "2 Points" and "20 Points IRE"? Has anyone adjusted these to further dial-in the picture? For example, for my Technicolor Expert (User) setting, I am using recommended values for all the 2 Points High and Low settings, which helps (IMO) the color balance.

Also of note is that Home has TruMotion set to Clear, which provides a strong SOE (Soap Opera Effect), while User has it set to Off, so you don't get any SOE. What exactly is the intent of Dolby Vision with regard to SOE? Do they want that effect? I dont; though my wife does, of course...LOL.

Thanks as usual for any thoughts and input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi guys, how is the uniformity of the C8?

Here in Italy I read of a lot of people really disappointed we a lot of change, I don't know if it is a local problem (all sold in Italy are produced in Poland)!

And I suspect a little the big price-drop in Italy could be due to that (now we can find the65c8 at 2400€)
There is no "Uniformity Problem" in C8s currently soldi in Italy, in fact uniformity on my unit (and those of a couple of my friends for instance...) is excellent and the panel at "5% GRAY" is a little bit clearer than my B7 and much better than the old B6 I sold in Jun.
But my B6 panel was "burned in" by my son watching hundreds of hours of soccer on it... dame SKY Sport logos! :mad:

Of Course there are "Bad Panels" in every OLED batch... but that is the nature of the beast... and they are few and sparse...

My C8 image is gorgeous, with no evident banding excluding the one provoked by sub-par HDMI Cables when I try to watch some DV Discs...

Said that, the recent 500€s drop in prices involved almost all High-End TVs from Sony, Panasonic, Samsung & LG... Italian customers don't care of "Panel Uniformity" (they don't event know what is it...) but they care about Prices and Aesthetics... This is not America...

Prices are now back to regular in many outlets...

By the way I'm from Milan... and I do business with a couple of the largest Outlet Chains in the country...

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Updated last night on the West coast. So far just spot checked to see if lip sync via xfinity in and ARC out to soundbar has improved for DD. So far I haven’t noticed any lip sync issues. I don’t think I’m convinced just yet.

The real test later today will be ATV4K in to the TV and out to soundbar via ARC with an Atmos stream. Prior to the update that had very pronounced lip sync issues. I need to adjust the cables before testing that configuration again.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
November issue of Consumer Reports rates TV sets. In 60" and larger, number one is the LG OLED 65 B8 and number two is the LG OLED 65 C8 out of 42 sets tested. Rated 3rd and 4th is the Sony XBR-65ABF and the LG 65 E8. New this year is a test of the set's ability to produce HDR images. While the E8 is rated excellent on this factor, the OLED 65B is rated poor and the OLED 65C is rated fair. Interesting! The LG OLED 77" was not tested.

·
Registered
590 Posts
New this year is a test of the set's ability to produce HDR images. While the E8 is rated excellent on this factor, the OLED 65B is rated poor and the OLED 65C is rated fair.

Wait, wat?

Since the 65C8 and the 65E8 are supposed to be identical except for the packaging and audio... How can this be plausible?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do you mind explaining the the improvements you're seeing?
Before the update when using dynamic tone mapping for game mode......you can easily see the brightness slowly brighten the image up from some what dim to brighter. Almost as it was processing or analyzing the brightness data too slow.
Ho

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey guys...after watching Maniac on Netflix, which is in Dolby Vision, I have some questions/comments on Dolby Vision Cinema Home vs. Cinema (User):

The White Balance in Home is set to "2 Points", and is all zeroes for both High and Low.

The White Balance in User is set to "20 Points IRE", with IRE at 100, and all zeroes for R, G and B.

What is the difference(s) between "2 Points" and "20 Points IRE"? Has anyone adjusted these to further dial-in the picture? For example, for my Technicolor Expert (User) setting, I am using recommended values for all the 2 Points High and Low settings, which helps (IMO) the color balance.

Also of note is that Home has TruMotion set to Clear, which provides a strong SOE (Soap Opera Effect), while User has it set to Off, so you don't get any SOE. What exactly is the intent of Dolby Vision with regard to SOE? Do they want that effect? I dont; though my wife does, of course...LOL.

Thanks as usual for any thoughts and input!

Bumping this for input...

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Bumping this for input...

Making adjustments to your white balance manually is not recommended. Adjustments to either the 2 or the 20 usually require some type of calibration equipment unless you are adventurous and don't mind the possibility of making things worse. As for the difference in Cinema User and Cinema Home, that's not a Dolby Vision setting, just options by LG, as you can see there are other picture modes you can chose from when watching DV content, those may have setting presets you find not to your liking too. Now you know why Cinema User is the recommended setting when watching DV content :)

Reactions: waltinaz

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Wait, wat?

Since the 65C8 and the 65E8 are supposed to be identical except for the packaging and audio... How can this be plausible?
The C8 and E8 both have the Alpha9 processor and are the same, as you say.

But you quoted something about the B8, which has the step-down Alpha7 processor. It's not as good as the C8 and above.

This doesn't mean I agree with their dissing it, just to explain how it could be plausible :)

EDIT: Whoops, I misread your post. C8 and E8 should definitely be the same, as you say.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has there been any developments on the macroblocking issue people were discussing about a month ago in this thread? My C8 return window is almost up and I want to make sure it isn't having any serious issues in that department. Does anyone have a good stress test I can use via Netflix or something easily accessible? Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just noticed, what might be an issue, with the latest firmware.

While watching SDR content from my Directv input(using technicolor mode), there seemed to be a very gradual darkening of the image. Then, very quickly back to normal brightness. This happened twice over the past hour. At first, I thought is was my Directv causing the issue, but when I replayed from the DVR that period of time, the brightness the entire time was OK. So that tells me the TV was gradually loosing brightness, then corrected itself. I am not using any brightness limiting functions and never noticed this before the firmware update.

Anyone else notice this, or something similar?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just noticed, what might be an issue, with the latest firmware.

While watching SDR content from my Directv input(using technicolor mode), there seemed to be a very gradual darkening of the image. Then, very quickly back to normal brightness. This happened twice over the past hour. At first, I thought is was my Directv causing the issue, but when I replayed from the DVR that period of time, the brightness the entire time was OK. So that tells me the TV was gradually loosing brightness, then corrected itself. I am not using any brightness limiting functions and never noticed this before the firmware update.

Anyone else notice this, or something similar?
Could this be a problem with 'dynamic tone mapping'?

5381 - 5400 of 24151 Posts