AVS Forum banner

5541 - 5560 of 23813 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think a better, and more simple option, would be to have the option to have automatically change picture modes by the time on the clock. Say at 7pm it switches to isf dark and at 7am it switches back to isf bright. That way when you turn on the tv at day/night it's in the right mode for you.
If you do it by the time on the clock it’s like landscape lighting that you have to adjust every three to four weeks.

To make it less of a hassle, you would have to know the time zone where the TV is installed and use sunrise/sunset data to change the settings dynamically.

Sounds like a job for IFTTT.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Anyone having issues with Prime Video freezing or changing inputs after the last software update? 4.10.05. Already tried reinstalling the app. It’s annoying. Sometimes it will just lock up other times even switch inputs.
Not yet. Just watched the Jack Ryan finale last night and it played without a hitch. Nary a pause nor a hiccup.

Wired Ethernet connection with 400mb/sec download speed. HDMI ARC output to SK10Y. 4K and Atmos.
Thanks will keep an eye on it. Jack Ryan plays fine. It’s Man in The High Castle that seems most finicky. I am using Google WiFi but will try to plug in Ethernet see if it makes a difference. Has not been an issue on prior firmware. Just tried Grand Tour froze the app. Cycled power on the tv works fine now. So strange...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyone besides Alabama :) I’m from Big 10 country, just enjoy football season be it college (Go Hawks and Blazers) or professional (Go Pack). OSU v Penn St. was fun to watch last night unless you were a Penn. St. fan. Football, as I knew already, looks great on the C8. NBC feed last night of the ND game was crisp on DTV.

I tend to be risk adverse when buying video equipment, I like to buy where I can return easily if necessary. Both my OLEDs have been bought at Costco, 90 days to evaluate the display, 5 years of warranty (free), plus they had the lowest retail price around coupled with a nice $ back deal via rebate. As I mentioned above, and have done before, while your in that 90 day period you’ve got price protection too, so I’m good for whatever happens for the Holidays.
Im actually looking for a new team to follow for october because alabamas schedule is yawns ville lol, but nonetheless RTR! Even after going to UAB I still can't support the blazers. that Whiteout PSU OSU game was beautiful, and I can only dream of what it looked like on a great display.

Looking into the costco They don't offer a financing plan, which we plan to use to build a little more credit up. We could always open a card up or go through credit union if the costco price and warranty is nice.

If you don't mind, can you tell me what the warranty at costco covers and doesn't cover? and Is it comparable to best buys geeksquad warranty plan?

We live out in inverness by the way, so I imagine you and I are decently close:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just quick question: is it worth paying extra $ for 65E8 (from audio perspective) or should I stick to C8?TV would be connected mainly to Apple TV 4K.Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just quick question: is it worth paying extra $ for 65E8 (from audio perspective) or should I stick to C8?TV would be connected mainly to Apple TV 4K.Thanks
If you use an external soundbar or AV receiver, then the only difference is aesthetics. The E8 screen is glass and the pedestal looks different.

I have the TV mounted on the wall and sit about 15' back and use a soundbar, so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one or the other.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you do it by the time on the clock it’s like landscape lighting that you have to adjust every three to four weeks.

To make it less of a hassle, you would have to know the time zone where the TV is installed and use sunrise/sunset data to change the settings dynamically.

Sounds like a job for IFTTT.
I think that would be easier to do than to deliver a really good light sensor that won't be jumpy while watching tv. Even phones haven't gotten this quite right yet, but since we use those differently it's not as annoying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Clark Burk, thanks for the hint. I ve tried it out, and it does not change the issue. I have those ups and downs in brightness changing scene by scene weather dynamic tone mapping is on or not. But thanks despite, every idea is welcome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Marginally better sound...nothing to cry home about.
I've actually had both in the 55" size. I think that the E8 sounds substantially better. I'm sure the forward-facing speakers make a big difference here. I like the build a lot better too. But yeah, there is no difference if you care solely about the picture quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thepiecesfit, well that is strange, you experienced an improvement with the 4.10.05 FW? In other forums I ve read that is FW is supposed to cause this problem. Weird. But thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone having issues with Prime Video freezing or changing inputs after the last software update? 4.10.05. Already tried reinstalling the app. It’s annoying. Sometimes it will just lock up other times even switch inputs.
I have had the same issues with Jack Ryan over Prime since the update. I changed over to the Apple TV Prime app and no further issues. Annoying though. Let me know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
LG C8 reflections in a bright room

I currently own a SAMSUNG LCD. I'm thinking about getting an OLED, LG C8. I have a room with many windows on the side. Will I be able to watch TV in the daytime or will the picture be washed out? Any advise from owners of both SAMSUNG LCD and LG OLED will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I currently own a SAMSUNG LCD. I'm thinking about getting an OLED, LG C8. I have a room with many windows on the side. Will I be able to watch TV in the daytime or will the picture be washed out? Any advise from owners of both SAMSUNG LCD and LG OLED will be appreciated.
Check out @waltinaz post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2998870-anyone-move-top-led-77c8-2.html#post56736734

He has/had a Vizio. His LG OLED pics are stunning!

Reactions: SL600

·
Registered
871 Posts
Does anyone know what this fir,Ware update was supposed to fix

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have a problem with brightness adjustment in HDR and DV modes on my 77 C8, which is kind of annoying. The brightness regulates down in bright scenes and up again in the next scene when the content becomes darker. All post processing settings are set off. Is this a bug? Maybe with the 4.10 FW? It seems a little like the brightness problems some of you have experienced in SDR with the new FW. With the difference that in my case only HDR and DV are affected. Has anyone watched this too?

I did some testing regarding the ABL dimming.

In SDR the dimming/undimming is pretty much instant. On a scene change where ABL kicks in the new scene is dimmed as soon as it appears so it's not much noticable that ABL has even kicked in. Also in SDR reducing oled-light reduces the effectiveness of ABL.

In HDR though, while the dimming is almost instant the undimming isn't. It's delayed by like 1 second, so on a scene change this can be very noticable where after 1 second the picture suddenly gets brighter. Also in HDR reducing oled-light doesn't reduce the effect ABL has, so forget what I told you earlier for testing, that only applies to SDR.

Now the big question is: Was the ABL dimming in HDR delayed like that before the 04.10.05 fw update or not? :confused:
I have never really tested this before, so maybe it's always been like that and I just didn't notice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for info. I am planning to purchase soudbar(without ATMOS) later but if E8 sound good enough for watching cartoons and movies in the evening I will stick only to E8...
Do you think that I should think about external soundbar?How does E8 look mounted on the wall? Thanks
I've actually had both in the 55" size. I think that the E8 sounds substantially better. I'm sure the forward-facing speakers make a big difference here. I like the build a lot better too. But yeah, there is no difference if you care solely about the picture quality.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you have E8 mounted on the wall? Doesn't it look strange with the bottom glass? If the sound from E8 sounds good enough I will not buy a soundbar.

If you use an external soundbar or AV receiver, then the only difference is aesthetics. The E8 screen is glass and the pedestal looks different.

I have the TV mounted on the wall and sit about 15' back and use a soundbar, so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one or the other.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Do you have E8 mounted on the wall? Doesn't it look strange with the bottom glass? If the sound from E8 sounds good enough I will not buy a soundbar.
I have my e8 mounted and think it looks great

5541 - 5560 of 23813 Posts