AVS Forum banner

7461 - 7480 of 24937 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
I know Arrival is the go to for near black torture tests and although I haven't seen it on my display, I would say Batman The Animated Series on Blu-Ray tops it. An absolute back breaking torture test. I don't have my old plasma with me but I still have access to it, so I will have to test it there at some point. I will say my panel is at only 40 hours so far as a caveat, but phew it's not kind to the display.

·
Banned
6,676 Posts
^Blade Runner 2049 is another good torture test, epic fail on my C7, but great on my C8!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Oh i wasnt aware it stacks, i just thought these warranties overlap.

Oh i also have a question. Like if your tv break in say year 2, and the warranty goes into effect, do you need to have the box and everything? i usually always throw my boxes out. Im new to this.

I see now SquareTrade only offers 3 year warranty for $99.
Bought mine last month for 5 year. LG will cover 1st year SquareTrade will cover final 2.
Warranty is in home. You will not need to ship if you have issue.

·
Registered
824 Posts
^Blade Runner 2049 is another good torture test, epic fail on my C7, but great on my C8!
I have it on UHD Blu-Ray but haven't gotten to it yet. So it will be a good comparison test. But Batman TAS is the first thing I have seen that would look better on my old VT60.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hej guys, I really like the possibility to turn of the display without turning off the tv using the "Screen off" power saving feature, but is there a way of creating some sort of shortcut to it? I have a Harmony remote and thought there might be an IR code for it, but haven't been able to find anything. I guess I can create a macro, but that feels kinda hacky and unreliable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do have technical question: if I calibrate my C8 and after update it with new firmware will I loose all settings done by professional calibrator?
thanks

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I do have technical question: if I calibrate my C8 and after update it with new firmware will I loose all settings done by professional calibrator?
thanks
No you won't..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Hej guys, I really like the possibility to turn of the display without turning off the tv using the "Screen off" power saving feature, but is there a way of creating some sort of shortcut to it? I have a Harmony remote and thought there might be an IR code for it, but haven't been able to find anything. I guess I can create a macro, but that feels kinda hacky and unreliable.
Are you talking about putting the TV in "standby mode"? If so, isn't that a setting on the TV under General, so that when you turn off the TV on your Harmony remote, it automatically enters standby mode?

Or do you mean something else?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you talking about putting the TV in "standby mode"? If so, isn't that a setting on the TV under General, so that when you turn off the TV on your Harmony remote, it automatically enters standby mode?

Or do you mean something else?
No, I am talking about the energy saving mode called "Screen off", found in Settings -> Picture -> Energy Saving -> Screen Off.

This would be really convenient for when pausing playback on devices that don't have screensaver, pausing a video game for a longer while, etc.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
No, they will stay perfectly tight ;)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
No, I am talking about the energy saving mode called "Screen off", found in Settings -> Picture -> Energy Saving -> Screen Off.
Wow, I hadn't noticed that feature. You learn something new every day. :)

I have a few different Harmony remotes, and my guess is you probably have to do a macro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, I hadn't noticed that feature. You learn something new every day. :)

I have a few different Harmony remotes, and my guess is you probably have to do a macro.
Yeah, too bad, would have been an awesome way to quickly get a screensaver. I prefer the totally blank over the super-outdated-looking fireworks screensaver as well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mounting bracket for 77C8PUA

Hey, quick question about mounting a 77 inch LG. We're thinking about getting one and putting it above a fireplace, but the TV is taller than the gap between the mantle and the ceiling, so it needs to come down and sit below the bottom of the mantle. I know OLEDs can have different mounting patterns, so I wanted to check to see if anyone knows if this bracket is compatible with the set: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15618. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
Yeah, too bad, would have been an awesome way to quickly get a screensaver. I prefer the totally blank over the super-outdated-looking fireworks screensaver as well.
The best I can offer is that long-press on the remote's Cog icon gets you straight to the "All settings" menu. That saves 7 keypresses.

·
Vendor
30,233 Posts
Oh i also have a question. Like if your tv break in say year 2, and the warranty goes into effect, do you need to have the box and everything? i usually always throw my boxes out. Im new to this.
With mack, lets say your TV has a dime size hot spot in yellow, not to bad but bad enough to see, mack cut's you a check and tell's you to dispose of you TV properly....What they really mean is, you now have your new bedroom TV....

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I had time to test my TV in the past days.

How do you find the TVs performance with normal 1080p Blu Rays?
While 4k content looks amazing, I find 1080p material a bit underwhelming, especially in the dark areas of the image. Its is bit hard to describe, I will try to post some screenshots.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
So I had time to test my TV in the past days.

How do you find the TVs performance with normal 1080p Blu Rays?
While 4k content looks amazing, I find 1080p material a bit underwhelming, especially in the dark areas of the image. Its is bit hard to describe, I will try to post some screenshots.
I’m so happy with both my B7 and C8 coupled with Oppo Blu-ray players that I don’t hesitate to buy a disk that isn’t available in 4k Ultra plus I’ve got 1500 Blu-ray’s that look better IMO. Suggest checking your settings and or trying a new player. Oppos are doing the upscaling, not sure if the Samsung you use is in the same league. No Oppos, I’d own a Panasonic - players matter :)

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
thanks
Please copy down your settings (all of them line by line) or at least go through the settings and take a picture with your phone of each page. There are instances, usually with warning, but not always, that certain updates will require a complete factory reset and to please write down all settings and variable before this update. This is with all manufactures not just LG.
If you have them recorded it's just a matter of re-entering them.
It's a ***** when it happens and I am guilty of not recording my settings. Now all my display settings are recorded on paper, for each display I have in my home.
Most Professional Calibrators will give you a print out of your settings at the end of a calibration just for this, and tell you to keep these in a safe place.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
I’m so happy with both my B7 and C8 coupled with Oppo Blu-ray players that I don’t hesitate to buy a disk that isn’t available in 4k Ultra plus I’ve got 1500 Blu-ray’s that look better IMO. Suggest checking your settings and or trying a new player. Oppos are doing the upscaling, not sure if the Samsung you use is in the same league. No Oppos, I’d own a Panasonic - players matter :)
I would try to use the TV to do the upscaling where possible.

Only the UB820 and UB9000 Panasonic 4K blu-ray players out of their range support dolby vision, so if this matters to you, you need to take it into account.

·
Registered
627 Posts
thanks

No, but you do have to keep in mind that LG might do something to "improve" the picture, and now your retained settings will be off and you'll need a re-calibration to make it right again. I don't know if LG does that, but I remember some of the earlier updates to the Samsung F8500 did.

7461 - 7480 of 24937 Posts