AVS Forum banner

9861 - 9880 of 23923 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
For those of you who tried The game Doom on oled, do you notice in scenes where it's supposed to be pitch black e.g the opening scene with the red symbol or when you pause the game, the oled is like displaying 5% grey? Is that how the game is supposed to look like or there is sth wrong with the tv?

·
Registered
321 Posts
For those of you who tried The game Doom on oled, do you notice in scenes where it's supposed to be pitch black e.g the opening scene with the red symbol or when you pause the game, the oled is like displaying 5% grey? Is that how the game is supposed to look like or there is sth wrong with the tv?
i played DOOM on xbox one X on OLED, dont remember elevated blacks

Could be something wrong with your black level settings?

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
I noticed last night that my Dolby Vision UHD's (all 3 of them) have ever-so slightly elevated black levels on my 65 C8; HDR10 discs do not. I thought this was an old issue that LG had resolved? I'm' using an LG UBK90 player, all firmware is up to date. The discs are Spiderman: Homecoming, Black Panther and The Last Jedi.
Calibration is completely separate for DV vs HDR10. So you need to set up the display for each type input.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I noticed last night that my Dolby Vision UHD's (all 3 of them) have ever-so slightly elevated black levels on my 65 C8; HDR10 discs do not. I thought this was an old issue that LG had resolved? I'm' using an LG UBK90 player, all firmware is up to date. The discs are Spiderman: Homecoming, Black Panther and The Last Jedi.
I have Black Panther and The Last Jedi. Using my Sony X700 player in Dolby Vision mode, I notice a proper black level on Black Panther, and raised black level on The Last Jedi. The HD Blu-ray of The Last Jedi has proper black level. Disappointing for a 4K master film.

LeRoy

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have Black Panther and The Last Jedi. Using my Sony X700 player in Dolby Vision mode, I notice a proper black level on Black Panther, and raised black level on The Last Jedi. The HD Blu-ray of The Last Jedi has proper black level. Disappointing for a 4K master film.

LeRoy
I recall Vincent Teoh mentioning something about Dolby Vision libraries. Can the metadata be something that's updated and downloaded? I'm wondering if tweaks are made that can change the black levels.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I recall Vincent Teoh mentioning something about Dolby Vision libraries. Can the metadata be something that's updated and downloaded? I'm wondering if tweaks are made that can change the black levels.
He's referring to the software libraries in the TV's firmware. This is one of the things that can be changed in firmware.
Eg, look at the version numbers in the TV's "about this TV" menu.

Earlier firmwares had Dolby_Vision version 1.5.0_16.00.
4.10.05 and later (up until now, so far) have Dolby_Vision version 1.5.0_17.00 - so, it was updated.

Also it can easily be updated again if LG get new libraries from Dolby and build them in.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I had my Directv 4k receiver installed today. The picture on the 4K channels is amazing, and even the SDR channels look better, perhaps because the 4k genie receiver has to be connected by coax instead of operating over wi-fi.

In any event, in a moderately dark room the 4k HDR picture is rather bright, and my wife seems to be sensitive to it. Even I found it a bit bright, at least on some scenes. I know that's what HDR is all about, but would it be sacrilegious to turn down the OLED light from 100? Will I get kicked off the forum if I do such a thing? :D
You are still allowed :)

The tone-mapping might not operate correctly however, but yes you could reduce OLED light. But be sure to leave Contrast at 100.

However, most content will still be at 100 nits as that is how it's mastered - it's just the highlights that are bright. Like sunlight glinting off a car, but with mastering there are guidelines so as not to cause discomfort for viewers.

Bias lighting behind the TV may help; but if you can do try and get used to HDR at oled light=100. For SDR it's a different matter, the defaults of 80 are blinding bright.

·
Registered
19 Posts
LG engineer came today. Replace my panel with a new one. The static dithering pattern issue mentioned a few posts back seems to be gone so far. I advise anyone who has the same issue call LG for replacement.

Also, I asked the engineer to disable tcp in the service menu. Will watch a few movies to see whether asbl is still there.
When you say " static dithering pattern issue " do you mean flickering/shimmering light on the background picture on normal SDR content ?
My E8 flickers on some content.
I am a UK E8 user.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Double click using the magic remote? You mean double click on the screen? And does this work if you're running Directv through a receiver? I seem to remember trying this and all the popped up was "HDMI 1," but perhaps I did something wrong? :confused:
Yes. With the magic remote wheel click twice in the upper left corner of the screen.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Double click using the magic remote? You mean double click on the screen? And does this work if you're running Directv through a receiver? I seem to remember trying this and all the popped up was "HDMI 1," but perhaps I did something wrong? :confused:
When it pops up hdmi 1 then click again on the popup

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
All you did wrong was to not double click, that is to say click twice (but not too quickly). :D

First click:

Second click gives the "fuller" info - here it's just 16:9 (big deal, I can see that for myself), 1080i, PCM:

Sadly - no bit depth, no sub-sampling, no framerate. It's very minimal information :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
i played DOOM on xbox one X on OLED, dont remember elevated blacks

Could be something wrong with your black level settings?
My black level matches the output (I'm playing the game on pc, setting low for 422 12 bit limited and high for rgb 8 bit full). If you still have the game, can you recheck the opening cut scene when the red symbol starts appearing or the pause menu in a pitch dark room to see if the screen is grey instead of black?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just did the .15 update yesterday, and it caused noticeable issues with audio sync that I didn't have before.

My AppleTV 4k is plugged into my Samsung N950 soundbar, which connects to my C8.

Audio sync was fine before, but now the audio is slightly ahead of the video.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just did the .15 update yesterday, and it caused noticeable issues with audio sync that I didn't have before.

My AppleTV 4k is plugged into my Samsung N950 soundbar, which connects to my C8.

I think I noticed it last night too. It's subtle, but noticeable. DAMNIT LG!!!!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

I haven't had any sync issues with the .15 update. I have my c8 going through my pioneer sc-lx502

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

9861 - 9880 of 23923 Posts