AVS Forum banner

11381 - 11400 of 23871 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
No panel is perfect. I never bothered to run slides on my C8. The pq was gorgeous from any source on my C8. I'm sure the panel is not perfect but if I don't see problems with any content, then I'm not going to go looking for issues. The degree of "acceptability" is up to you. Obviously the really bad examples are not acceptable but anything less is your call.
Sure, perfect is not obtainable. I have seen some really bad examples where it is likely to show in actual content. It's hard to know what that threshold is but I have seen LCD's where I can clearly see it in actual content. I guess I'll just have to use may best judgement and as long as it does look like the really bad examples that will be good enough.

Anything else I should look for that have been known issues?

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
Excuse my English.

I mean it locks the 5g wifi over the speed 2-5MB max

EDIT:
For some HDR bitrates it is necessary more than 100MB

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
Understood. Hardwired, my system clocks at around 300MB and we can stream 4k HDR with no issues even if we have multiple laptops, iPhones, iPads, etc all using the internet connection at the same time. 5G is suspect to a bit more interference so maybe it's an interference issue. I know there were some reports about WiFi issues with the current update so maybe a Search on AVS will provide more information.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Understood. Hardwired, my system clocks at around 300MB and we can stream 4k HDR with no issues even if we have multiple laptops, iPhones, iPads, etc all using the internet connection at the same time. 5G is suspect to a bit more interference so maybe it's an interference issue. I know there were some reports about WiFi issues with the current update so maybe a Search on AVS will provide more information.
No, it's not an interference problem.
It is checked with more devices.

300MB ??
What TV?

OLED TV C7/C8 with hardwired have ethernet 100MB, no more... :-S

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
Sure, perfect is not obtainable. I have seen some really bad examples where it is likely to show in actual content. It's hard to know what that threshold is but I have seen LCD's where I can clearly see it in actual content. I guess I'll just have to use may best judgement and as long as it does look like the really bad examples that will be good enough.

Anything else I should look for that have been known issues?
I think the major issues were "macro blocking", or what ever the group decided it was, and flashing. But is seems that for a lot of folks who had those issues they were mitigated somewhat by luminance adjustments. Some felt that going into the service menu was necessary but I wouldn't recommend that.

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
No, it's not an interference problem.
It is checked with more devices.

300MB ??
What TV?

OLED TV C7/C8 with hardwired have ethernet 100MB, no more... :-S
65 C8. We also have an LG LCD in the downstairs HTS that can be connected, and streaming (1080) at the same time and there is no effect on the upstairs C8.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think the major issues were "macro blocking", or what ever the group decided it was, and flashing. But is seems that for a lot of folks who had those issues they were mitigated somewhat by luminance adjustments. Some felt that going into the service menu was necessary but I wouldn't recommend that.
Macro blocking in dark scenes across any content? Yeah I don't like messing around in the service menu. Used to have no choice to calibrate older tv's but thats no longer the case. I will be calibrating with Calman and a i1Pro2/C6, so hopefully I can mitigate issues that are calibration dependent.

At least I'll get to compare 2 samples since they are open box. Can't do that when you buy brand new and have to go through a return/exchange if you lose the panel lottery.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Macro blocking in dark scenes across any content? Yeah I don't like messing around in the service menu. Used to have no choice to calibrate older tv's but thats no longer the case. I will be calibrating with Calman and a i1Pro2/C6, so hopefully I can mitigate issues that are calibration dependent.

At least I'll get to compare 2 samples since they are open box. Can't do that when you buy brand new and have to go through a return/exchange if you lose the panel lottery.

Keep in mind on the macroblocking near black and/or flashing that LG has a fix on the way. ETA early spring. It is an issue for me only on poor sources - mileage will vary according to whom you talk with. Great set, better price and who knows what problems will be found with the new displays in 2019. Look great on paper, but I'm confident there will be more than a few issues regardless if they are made by Sony, LG, etc. Enjoy!

Reactions: calfcramp

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your X700 is reading the HDMI capability data from the C8 and blasting the X700 interface at the full [email protected] The old HDMI cable you have is most probably not rated for that full 18gps signal. The older ones maxed out way before that. The same setup works on your old TV, because the HDMI capability data is different. Go back to Monoprice and pick up a Certified Premium High Speed Cable of the correct length.

Sorry about another delay for you to get your new C8 up and running beautiful video.
yes, thank you. I have ordered new cables but they wont be here for several days.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Keep in mind on the macroblocking near black and/or flashing that LG has a fix on the way. ETA early spring. It is an issue for me only on poor sources - mileage will vary according to whom you talk with. Great set, better price and who knows what problems will be found with the new displays in 2019. Look great on paper, but I'm confident there will be more than a few issues regardless if they are made by Sony, LG, etc. Enjoy!
Thanks,

Hoping it goes well tomorrow. They don't have the boxes, so it will be bubble wrapped and laid flat with pillows and blankets used for support of the panel. I'm a but nervous about that. Hopefully at least one will be a good sample and will get home without cracking.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just quickly two things. One make sure that you are plugged into the right HDMI Out on the Sony X700 and two make sure that the HDMI cable is seated straight and secure in the socket. If it is crooked on the connector you will get this exact thing.Some of the newer HDMI cable have a new firmer hold connector on them and they require just a wee bit more push to seat.
I am trying a different HDMI cable that is high speed but I ordered some new ones from monoprice but they wont be here for several days. yes, some of my cables seem to fit more snugly than others but I had not realized there was a minor adjustment on the "fit" of the newer cables. thanks

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
oki, but impossible with 300MB, c8 65" have FAST Ethernet, no Gigabit
Don't know what you mean about impossible. We have no issues at all whatsoever streaming 4k HDR from Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc with the C8 hardwired. We stream from an external device and don't bother with the SmartApps. 100MB is fine for streaming, at least in my system.

·
Registered
35 Posts
These are the typical questions one faces when we near the end of the model year and the next generation of TV's is about to hit the market. So I'm not sure there is much anyone can tell you. The prices on the C8 might possibly come down some more (it seems prices on last year's models drop a little near Super Bowl time). But only you can evaluate how much saving a thousand or two thousand means to you, how obsessive you are about having the "latest and best," how badly you want to have a set now, etc.

The one thing I would say is that there seem to be some current models of the 77" C8 that have some noise issues. There is a thread on the forum about that, and you might look into that. I suppose there is a chance that will be fixed in the new models. But other than that, it's really your decision based on your preferences and circumstances which of the three options you would choose -- and nobody could really say that whatever you choose is not the right one for you. :)
Sound advice and thanks for the heads up on the noise issue!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am trying a different HDMI cable that is high speed but I ordered some new ones from monoprice but they wont be here for several days. yes, some of my cables seem to fit more snugly than others but I had not realized there was a minor adjustment on the "fit" of the newer cables. thanks
A big shout out to Glenee and LeroyK. I borrowed the HDMI cable from my new XBOX One X and used it to connect the X700 to the TV and the screen popped right up for setup. I used another HDMI cable out of the "audio out" HDMI on the player and presto! Wonderful surround sound. Thank you guys!

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
I have nothing like that on my TV at all that I can see
Nor I. If there's no "fix" for that fault, and no-one else here has ever seen it before - LG will just have to replace his TV, won't they.

·
Registered
8 Posts
65 C8. We also have an LG LCD in the downstairs HTS that can be connected, and streaming (1080) at the same time and there is no effect on the upstairs C8.
I have same questions on wired ethernet from C8,
when I hardwired it my switch reports the port is 100M, how do you get 300MB?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts

Unless LG changed something the port on the TV is 100mb as in previous years, and LG isn't the only TV manufacturer that does this. Apple on the other had has 1gb port on the ATV4k. Where you can get higher speeds is via wi-fi, owners including me have gotten over 300 when connected via 5G. I use Eero's mesh network, works great with 400mb Charter delivers to my home. I've got a cable that has yet to be plugged into my C7 because wi-fi has worked so well, I'd have to run a lot of cable to go wired with my C8.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Excuse my English.

I mean it locks the 5g wifi over the speed 2-5MB max

EDIT:
For some HDR bitrates it is necessary more than 100MB

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }

Do you maybe have your router set to a high 5Ghz channel? The wifi on my C8 get's really slow (less than 100mbit/s) when using one of the higher 5Ghz channels but the lower ones are fine and it pulls like 300+ mbit/s when buffering while streaming UHD content from my PC.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You don't.

Likely some confusion between Mb and MB (megabit and megabyte) going on. Or some other confusion.

If the C8 only has a Fast Ethernet adapter (max of 100 Mbit), then an ethernet/wired connection will max out at 100 Mbit/second (12.5 MByte/second).

Generally, when people are aware of the distinction, Mb (little "b") is Megabit while MB (big "b") is Megabyte. There are eight bits in a byte.

--H

11381 - 11400 of 23871 Posts