AVS Forum banner

12281 - 12300 of 23969 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Disappointed in my LG C8 purchase. The set does not seem damaged or malfunctioning. It just isn't the upgrade that I was expecting. Got from Greentoe-any recommendations as to how to get out of this purchase? I'm guessing that I'll just need to bite the bullet and pay return shipping and any restock fees and learn my lesson. Lesson being if I wasn't 100% sure on the set, I should have paid a bit more a BB or Amaz**. I have a mid tier 4k Samsung LCD that is about 3 years old...just not as big an upgrade as I'd have hoped. Looked killer in the store, but in my home doing a A-B it just doesn't' merit $2k. The off axis improvement is tons better, but other than that Im kind of disappointed. Depending on what he total hit (shipping and restocking) is with Greentoe, do you think it is worth putting on CList in hopes of a local buyer that would like to buy a 1 day old set and save a few hundy??

Boo

If you like the way the set looked in the store, you can use those settings, but brightness is hiked way up to complete with store lighting and make the set stand out (also some or all of the set’s processing modes are also engaged). It won’t be accurate, but if that’s what you want, it’s certainly achievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,387 Posts
Disappointed in my LG C8 purchase. The set does not seem damaged or malfunctioning. It just isn't the upgrade that I was expecting. Got from Greentoe-any recommendations as to how to get out of this purchase? I'm guessing that I'll just need to bite the bullet and pay return shipping and any restock fees and learn my lesson. Lesson being if I wasn't 100% sure on the set, I should have paid a bit more a BB or Amaz**. I have a mid tier 4k Samsung LCD that is about 3 years old...just not as big an upgrade as I'd have hoped. Looked killer in the store, but in my home doing a A-B it just doesn't' merit $2k. The off axis improvement is tons better, but other than that Im kind of disappointed. Depending on what he total hit (shipping and restocking) is with Greentoe, do you think it is worth putting on CList in hopes of a local buyer that would like to buy a 1 day old set and save a few hundy??

Boo

I have 3 LCD's (two Samsungs and an LG) in addition to the 65 C8, and the C8 is far superior in every way to the LCD's. I've never had a plasma so can't compare that but as far as pq goes, this C8 can't be beat. Something seems amiss here but it's your call, not ours, so I hope you can recoup some of your cost should you decide to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Less than one day of viewing/adjusting settings on any new display is like punting on first down. Short of a serious defect I believe that’s the quickest return I’ve seen short of a financial hardship or threat of divorce :)

You should really play around with it more, there is nothing I miss from my Kuro and Panny days.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Disappointed in my LG C8 purchase. The set does not seem damaged or malfunctioning. It just isn't the upgrade that I was expecting.
Could you provide some more information. What is your source material? What picture mode are you using and what are your settings? Is your issue primarily with SDR or is it also with HDR, or is it primarily with HDR? We might be able to help or make some suggestions if you give us more details.

And smurraybhm hit the nail on the head as far as the fact that your judgment is probably way premature. I often am underwhelmed the first few days I have a new set -- it happened with my C8 also -- and within a week or so I was astounded at how good it is.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there any specific settings that I might use for sports viewing on the C8.
I am not satisfied with the motion when watching fast moving objects. I am not sure what tv settings should I use.

I am watching from sling tv app in Xbox ones or the tv internal app.

If I use 120 hz in Xbox settings, it seems to be bit better otherwise it’s not much fun watching sports on it.

The BFI is making the tv flicker and is just not worth.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Sound & Vision magazine, March issue, made their top picks of video-audio gear reviewed during 2018. Not only was the LG OLEDxxC8PUA picked as the best display, it also was selected as the top pick of all gear for 2018.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am not satisfied with the motion when watching fast moving objects. I am not sure what tv settings should I use.

If I use 120 hz in Xbox settings, it seems to be bit better otherwise it’s not much fun watching sports on it.

Thats not good to hear. What sports are you watching? I was considering upgrading from my Pioneer Elite 151

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sound & Vision magazine, March issue, made their top picks of video-audio gear reviewed during 2018. Not only was the LG OLEDxxC8PUA picked as the best display, it also was selected as the top pick of all gear for 2018.
I concur. My 77C8 is gorgeous.

Reactions: calfcramp

·
Registered
16,387 Posts

I leave motion interpolation (TruMotion) disabled and sports are fine whether the source is Comcrap network broadcast or via an ATV4k app.

·
Registered
435 Posts
:) Not to mention the panel won't settle in until 100-200 hours.
Well, had a full ISF calibration (thanks, Jeff) after about 350 hours but if it wants to continue to improve its PQ on its own, I won't complain.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Well, had a full ISF calibration (thanks, Jeff) after about 350 hours but if it wants to continue to improve its PQ on its own, I won't complain.
My comfort point was 300 hours also.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Bought the LG OLED65C8 three weeks ago at BestBuy and finally had it delivered two weeks ago. Quite pleased with the picture out of the box in the recommended settings for SDR/HDR10/DolbyVision. I do however have plans to have ChadB come calibrate my C8 in the future after break-in. At this point, I do have an Oppo UDP-203 as my UHD-bluray player and knowing that there is a tone mapping problem with the Oppo UDP-203, does the tone mapping in the C8 make the problem with the Oppo UDP-203 a moot point or do I need to also invest in a Panasonic DP-UB820 to address this situation? In other words is the tone mapping in the C8 handling the HDR content correctly despite what the Oppo UDP-203 is sending as a source?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Bought the LG OLED65C8 three weeks ago at BestBuy and finally had it delivered two weeks ago. Quite pleased with the picture out of the box in the recommended settings for SDR/HDR10/DolbyVision. I do however have plans to have ChadB come calibrate my C8 in the future after break-in. At this point, I do have an Oppo UDP-203 as my UHD-bluray player and knowing that there is a tone mapping problem with the Oppo UDP-203, does the tone mapping in the C8 make the problem with the Oppo UDP-203 a moot point or do I need to also invest in a Panasonic DP-UB820 to address this situation? In other words is the tone mapping in the C8 handling the HDR content correctly despite what the Oppo UDP-203 is sending as a source?
There is no tone mapping “issue” with the Oppo assuming you are not using a projector, or pre HDR 4k display - which your not. You’ll be very pleased with the combo. Don’t have the energy to post the how, what, why. Believe there is more info on the first page of the 203 thread - FAQs - or just use the AVS search function. Enjoy!

Reactions: LCSeminole

·
Registered
767 Posts
There is no tone mapping “issue” with the Oppo assuming you are not using a projector, or pre HDR 4k display - which your not. You’ll be very pleased with the combo. Don’t have the energy to post the how, what, why. Believe there is more info on the first page of the 203 thread - FAQs - or just use the AVS search function. Enjoy!

Thank you, I was hoping that would be the answer. :) I was watching the "Underworld" UHD-bluray last night thinking that these are by far the best blacks and detail for a movie that is by nature "dark" that I've seen. I've settled on the ISF Expert Dark Room setting and couldn't be happier, but I'm sure ChadB will make even better! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts

I don't have the TV yet but I can tell you the source is most likely the issue. Sling TV is only 30 FPS and looked bad even on my sony 930d. Try YouTube TV for streaming second choice is PSVUE both 60FPS. YTTV is a superior picture also and they just expanded markets nationwide. If YTTV doesn't have all the channels desired add Philo it covers the rest.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Disappointed in my LG C8 purchase. The set does not seem damaged or malfunctioning. It just isn't the upgrade that I was expecting. Got from Greentoe-any recommendations as to how to get out of this purchase? I'm guessing that I'll just need to bite the bullet and pay return shipping and any restock fees and learn my lesson. Lesson being if I wasn't 100% sure on the set, I should have paid a bit more a BB or Amaz**. I have a mid tier 4k Samsung LCD that is about 3 years old...just not as big an upgrade as I'd have hoped. Looked killer in the store, but in my home doing a A-B it just doesn't' merit $2k. The off axis improvement is tons better, but other than that Im kind of disappointed. Depending on what he total hit (shipping and restocking) is with Greentoe, do you think it is worth putting on CList in hopes of a local buyer that would like to buy a 1 day old set and save a few hundy?? Boo
Sorry to hear that you are underwhelmed with your new C8. As others have said, you might find it performs more to your liking if you take some time to play with settings and, most of all, give it some time to wear in.

I also bought my 65" C8 through Greentoe back in November and am very pleased with the set and their service. Are you aware that Greentoe isn't the actual seller of your set? They are merely a broker who searches for the best price for you and the TV was actually sold by and shipped to you by an authorized selling dealer.. You should have either received a paid invoice by email or, it might have been a hard copy in the box the set came in. You would need this to discuss any return or future warranty issues. So, if you're really set on sending it back, you'll need to contact the selling dealer to see what they will do for you. I hope this works out for you either way. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
So, my C8 did some sort of auto firmware update, because it suddenly was asking me to enable deep color and some of my settings (Trumotion, etc.) we’re reset, and after resetting everything the picture looks really “off.” Much noisier; lots of compression-type artifacting in color gradients like skies, textures on walls and pillows, etc. Things “crawling,” etc. I used the Rtings settings before, which looked beautiful, but even after having restored them I can’t get the set to look the same. It’s a very mediocre picture when it used to be absolutely stunning. I’m pretty concerned, because all of a sudden it’s just not the same TV. Any ide of what on estate could’ve happened? I’ve tried iTunes, Blu Ray and 4K disc content; all is impacted, although iTunes content the most so-it looks like compressed garbage now. 4K disc content looks good in bright scenes, but dark scenes are very black- and detail-crushed. Thanks much.
So, adding to this... I realized that this issue cropped up at the same time that my Classe shorted on me (I crossed two live ends of a speaker wire, dumb accident through carelessness). The amp went up in smoke and the subwoofer popped. Is it possible that the amp sent a short that traveled through my processor to the C8 and damaged it? I just can't think of another reason why the TV's performance would have gotten so much crappier all at once. I've A-B'd content on the C8 and my C7, and it's night and day... skies in the C8 are full of dancing "grain"/artificating/etc., whereas the same content is beautiful and smooth on the C7 (which has been ISF calibrated). The C8 didn't look this way before. Is it even possible that the short damaged the TV, or have I got another issue on my hands?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
So, adding to this... I realized that this issue cropped up at the same time that my Classe shorted on me (I crossed two live ends of a speaker wire, dumb accident through carelessness). The amp went up in smoke and the subwoofer popped. Is it possible that the amp sent a short that traveled through my processor to the C8 and damaged it? I just can't think of another reason why the TV's performance would have gotten so much crappier all at once. I've A-B'd content on the C8 and my C7, and it's night and day... skies in the C8 are full of dancing "grain"/artificating/etc., whereas the same content is beautiful and smooth on the C7 (which has been ISF calibrated). The C8 didn't look this way before. Is it even possible that the short damaged the TV, or have I got another issue on my hands?
Sounds like the micro blocking that has been talked about here. If thats the problem, lg is working on an update to fix it.

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

·
Registered
203 Posts

The BFI is making the tv flicker and is just not worth it.
Motion handling on these sets is bad, especially if you're coming from a plasma or DLP, where motion was perfect. The most annoying thing to me is hockey games when the camera pans across, and all of the graphics on the sideboards blurs.

When I first got the set, 4 months ago, when I looked at all sports it was a disaster to my eyes. I have the 77" set, and I think the larger your size, the more you'll see the problems with it. If I could have taken the set back and gone back to my 67" LED DLP, I would have. But I mail ordered the set and that was not possible. Over time, my eyes have become more accustomed to what I am seeing and now, by and large, the worst thing remaining is the graphics in hockey games. None of it is as good as the DLP set, but it's acceptable. For me, I have found setting the trumotion settings to 1 and 1 offer me the best experience. Try setting yours there and just give it 2-3 months and see what you think.

12281 - 12300 of 23969 Posts