AVS Forum banner

12301 - 12320 of 23822 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
So, adding to this... I realized that this issue cropped up at the same time that my Classe shorted on me (I crossed two live ends of a speaker wire, dumb accident through carelessness). The amp went up in smoke and the subwoofer popped. Is it possible that the amp sent a short that traveled through my processor to the C8 and damaged it? I just can't think of another reason why the TV's performance would have gotten so much crappier all at once. I've A-B'd content on the C8 and my C7, and it's night and day... skies in the C8 are full of dancing "grain"/artificating/etc., whereas the same content is beautiful and smooth on the C7 (which has been ISF calibrated). The C8 didn't look this way before. Is it even possible that the short damaged the TV, or have I got another issue on my hands?
Just for kicks and giggles, have you tried a master reset of the C8 by unplugging it for a minute or so? I had to do that with my C8 after the most recent firmware update.

·
Vendor
26,626 Posts
Sound & Vision magazine, March issue, made their top picks of video-audio gear reviewed during 2018. Not only was the LG OLEDxxC8PUA picked as the best display, it also was selected as the top pick of all gear for 2018.
It will be a long time before OLED is kicked off top. Now everyone is entitled of there own opinion and some guys prefer LED, that's good as well, pick your display based on what is good for you, not another person unless its your wife ;)

·
Registered
16,331 Posts
Motion handling on these sets is bad, especially if you're coming from a plasma or DLP, where motion was perfect. The most annoying thing to me is hockey games when the camera pans across, and all of the graphics on the sideboards blurs.

When I first got the set, 4 months ago, when I looked at all sports it was a disaster to my eyes. I have the 77" set, and I think the larger your size, the more you'll see the problems with it. If I could have taken the set back and gone back to my 67" LED DLP, I would have. But I mail ordered the set and that was not possible. Over time, my eyes have become more accustomed to what I am seeing and now, by and large, the worst thing remaining is the graphics in hockey games. None of it is as good as the DLP set, but it's acceptable. For me, I have found setting the trumotion settings to 1 and 1 offer me the best experience. Try setting yours there and just give it 2-3 months and see what you think.

Sports motion on my 65 is just fine with TruMotion disabled. But yeah, the larger you go the more you have to compromise, pq and motion-wise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,

I was watching The Haunting At Hill House on Netflix last night. It has Dolby Vision and Atmos and I noticed on my OLED 65C8 during the intro when it was on a gray it has diagonal lines. I don't know if it is on the series that I'm watching or on the TV. I don't see any problem when I watch other movies or TV. That part only when the screen is whole gray.
I noticed this on my new LG OLED65C8 I purchased last week. I can replicate the diagonal lines every time I go back towards the end of the Intro on The Haunting At Hill House on Netflix. Did this go away after time or do I have a faulty screen? I don't have 100 hours of use yet. Any one else seen this occur on their OLED panel? It looks like a Barber shop pole illusion but grayish color on black background across the entire screen. I have only seen it on this show. Very noticeable in a complete dark room. My TV has a January 2019 manufacture date and running the latest firmware. I have an older LCD TV that does not show this at all, but then again it can't get that dark with LED backlight always on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sports motion on my 65 is just fine with TruMotion disabled. But yeah, the larger you go the more you have to compromise, pq and motion-wise.

Could you please share your generic settings like picture mode and anything else.Mine is not pro calibrated and I just trying to figure if I am doing something incorrect with my settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,331 Posts
Could you please share your generic settings like picture mode and anything else.Mine is not pro calibrated and I just trying to figure if I am doing something incorrect with my settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started off with the basic settings found on rtings.com and then tweaked for my viewing environment. I disable all artificial processing which includes TruMotion. Real Cinema is enabled for the 4k UHD blu-ray player. I have't bothered to calibrate my panel so settings like the CMS are still at default. PQ is gorgeous with any source (local cable HDTV can have issues from time to time depending on the broadcast).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey guys,

My 6 months old LG C8 is powering off and on intermittently when power is plugged into it. It just randomly started doing this yesterday night. In fact, there's now no way to turn it off without unplugging it from the power socket. As soon as it's plugged in, it'd come on and then shut off 3 seconds later then come back on 3 secs later and keep repeating the cycle. I'm guessing my power board or some capacitor is fried causing this. Anyone else see this behavior before? Figured I'd ask here first because I can't be home for a LG service technician to come over for another week and would like to be able to use the TV before then.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hey guys,

My 6 months old LG C8 is powering off and on intermittently when power is plugged into it. It just randomly started doing this yesterday night. In fact, there's now no way to turn it off without unplugging it from the power socket. As soon as it's plugged in, it'd come on and then shut off 3 seconds later then come back on 3 secs later and keep repeating the cycle. I'm guessing my power board or some capacitor is fried causing this. Anyone else see this behavior before? Figured I'd ask here first because I can't be home for a LG service technician to come over for another week and would like to be able to use the TV before then.

Thanks
Unplug from wall for 10 minutes. You can also press and hold the power button for 10 seconds after you unplug

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm sharing my thoughts on the C8 after having it for 6 months. (might help those who are still planning to get it)

I apologize for the crappy audio though as I was having technical difficulties with my mic when I recorded this.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
H.O.W. do i control the tv settings on the LG C8 with a Lenovo android tablet, possible? If there is an application in existence, point me to it. I have spent enough time with the magic remote that comes with lg to know that I do not like it, the button placement is awkward and too many menus to scroll, it would be easier controlling settings through a tablet's touch screen.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Vincent Teoh professional calibrator does reviews on different high-end displays on Youtube. His findings I put trust in unlike many of the more well-known reviewers. (Businesses)

He likes the C8, it has many strengths. Vincents biggest complaint seems to be the Black frame insertion (BFI) doesn't work as it should (yet). I'm hoping LG does something with a firmware update soon, I believe they actually listen to his reviews and have done software upgrades because of his findings.

Reactions: calfcramp

·
Registered
91 Posts
Vincent Teoh professional calibrator does reviews on different high-end displays on Youtube. His findings I put trust in unlike many of the more well-known reviewers. (Businesses)

He likes the C8, it has many strengths. Vincents biggest complaint seems to be the Black frame insertion (BFI) doesn't work as it should (yet). I'm hoping LG does something with a firmware update soon, I believe they actually listen to his reviews and have done software upgrades because of his findings.
I doubt they'd give us an update to resolve the BFI for the C8.

I've read (or did i watch it?) somewhere that the BFI works better in the 2019 OLED TVs. No more flickering, I believe.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
^yes the BFI is supposed to be improved for 2019...but i doubt many here will use it, as their still will have to a trade off with brightness.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey guys,

I just upgraded to a C8 myself from a pretty old and crappy Sony TV.

This is my first OLED and I got to admit I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different settings when it comes to picture quality, especially as the description of what the different settings are doing are pretty vague.

I started out with the settings provided by RTINGS, however it seems like the settings on the website and the ones provided on their youtube channel are different? e.g. for HDR they recommend Technicolor Expert on the website, but on the video they recommend Cinema as the preferred starting point.

In addition to that I think with one of the recent firmware updates the white balance preset was changed as well, so I am not sure if "warm2" is still the go to and it seems like RTINGS is not updating the website once firmware updates hit.

Should the website settings still be used a starting point to get the optimal settings? Right now I am happy with the picture quality, the only issue I have is that whites seem to be extremely popping and almost "glowing" in a a way that it hurts the eyes.

I have the Oled light already set to 50 (average room recommendation is 56 according to RTING) and I still have the feeling that the picture and especially the whites are extremely bright. It seems to get better when I switch the automode on which is fine for watching cable TV.

However for HDR the recommended setting is to have the OLED light at 100 as this seems to be a requirement for HDR?

Maybe someone can share some insights, meanwhile I will try to dig through this thread as well, but considering the size this might take a while. ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hello,

I was watching The Haunting At Hill House on Netflix last night. It has Dolby Vision and Atmos and I noticed on my OLED 65C8 during the intro when it was on a gray it has diagonal lines. I don't know if it is on the series that I'm watching or on the TV. I don't see any problem when I watch other movies or TV. That part only when the screen is whole gray.
I noticed this on my new LG OLED65C8 I purchased last week. I can replicate the diagonal lines every time I go back towards the end of the Intro on The Haunting At Hill House on Netflix. Did this go away after time or do I have a faulty screen? I don't have 100 hours of use yet. Any one else seen this occur on their OLED panel? It looks like a Barber shop pole illusion but grayish color on black background across the entire screen. I have only seen it on this show. Very noticeable in a complete dark room. My TV has a January 2019 manufacture date and running the latest firmware. I have an older LCD TV that does not show this at all, but then again it can't get that dark with LED backlight always on.
Yep. This is a dolby vision bug I reported not long ago. Some people on this forum deny it and say my settings are wrong or I lose the panel lottery. Whatever. Banding, macroblocking, limniance fluctuation, abl, fear of burn-in etc. And now having to tweak the settings to obtain true black for every picture mode or input is unacceptable. This is the last time I buy an oled.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My Costco bought LG OLED65 develop this vertical green line on the right side of the screen from top to bottom since yesterday . The TV is only 3 months old . That can't be a dead pixel ?..

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have an lg c8. Try this brightness test video: https://youtu.be/NlAsAuBtmps. When dynamic tone mapping is turned off, I can see the increase in brightness in all transitions. However, when it's on, i can only see the increase in brightness from 100 to 400, and 400 to 1000 (also, 100, 400 and 1000 nits squares seem all brighter than before). What's going on? It's like the other way around makes more sense. Dynamic tone mapping is not working properly?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My Costco bought LG OLED65 develop this vertical green line on the right side of the screen from top to bottom since yesterday . The TV is only 3 months old . That can't be a dead pixel ?..
Nope. That be a green line of doom. Call LGS and they will replace the screen for you.

Reactions: Soccerdude

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nope. That be a green line of doom. Call LGS and they will replace the screen for you.
Oh my god "green line of doom" is ominous sounding thing .

12301 - 12320 of 23822 Posts