AVS Forum banner

14061 - 14080 of 23827 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was also using 54 brightness prior to this most recent firmware update. What value are you using now for brightness?
My initial impression after update is TV is darker and I would like to revert back to previous firmware if possible
I have my ATV4k set to 4k SDR @60Hz, chroma 4:4:4 using YCbCr, with Dolby Vision enabled. Chroma 4:4:4 is part of the HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications, of which the ATV4k and the C8 are both capable. Audio format is Auto, with Atmos enabled. My cable runs are short so I use Premium High Speed HDMI cables and they pass the internal HDMI cable connection checks with the ATV4k with no issues at all. I have the C8 do all of the upscaling, whether the video is coming from the ATV4k or the UBK90 (UHD/Blu-ray player). PQ is gorgeous with any source and the audio is perfect.
Was it so that one also needs to set the ATV source in TV as PC or something to make the 4:4:4 to work? Or am I wrong on this?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just use Auto. If you choose 4:4:4 it will downscale because HDMI 2.0 doesn't support 4:4:4 10 bit signals. Also, ARC should sound exactly the same through the TV apps as it would through a an external device. ARC and an external device would both bitstream the data so hypothetically no processing should be done except in the receiver.
Thanks, so even with it downscaling from 4:4:4 it doesn’t somehow even affect the PQ a little bit through starting higher than the content? Such as done with upscaling SD>HD content? Gotcha, thanks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Less superior audio is a matter of perception for Atmos. ARC can currently only send lossy Atmos, not lossless. If you run your ATV4k thru a receiver that can decode lossless audio (which would be lossless Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA) the audio experience will be noticeably better. Maybe not so much for the Atmos (if your receiver can decode it) but certainly with the HD audio. I have my receiver set to run Straight. Which means that it will play back any audio format that it receives as originally encoded, automatically.
I use my Blu Ray player straight to my receiver for pretty much all movie watching with atmos/Lossless TrueHD audio. Do Netflix or Vudu have lossless atmos/TrueHD content?

·
Registered
16,333 Posts
Was it so that one also needs to set the ATV source in TV as PC or something to make the 4:4:4 to work? Or am I wrong on this?

I don't have the ATV4k set to pc mode on the C8. Both the ATV4k and the UBK90 are connected to my AVR. From the AVR I only have one HDMI connected to the C8 utilizing one HDMI input (which is just labeled as HDMI 4 I think). I've used 4:2:0 as well but haven't seen any real difference. I sometimes use Airplay from my laptop to the C8, via the ATV4k, and the screen mirroring is flawless. I'm not a gamer either. I'm going to do the update on my C8 tomorrow so I'll be checking it out to make sure that all is well. I don't know how extensive the built-in cable checks for the ATV4k are (4:4:4 and HDMI) but it passes both just fine.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have my ATV4k set to 4k SDR @60Hz, chroma 4:4:4 using YCbCr, with Dolby Vision enabled. Chroma 4:4:4 is part of the HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications, of which the ATV4k and the C8 are both capable. Audio format is Auto, with Atmos enabled. My cable runs are short so I use Premium High Speed HDMI cables and they pass the internal HDMI cable connection checks with the ATV4k with no issues at all. I have the C8 do all of the upscaling, whether the video is coming from the ATV4k or the UBK90 (UHD/Blu-ray player). PQ is gorgeous with any source and the audio is perfect.
It definitely is incredible with my UB820. Just wish I could determine if 4:4:4 had any impact on 4:2:0/4:2:2 UHD movies. Thanks so much for the response. I agree! Let the C8 work it’s upscaling magic for sure!

·
Registered
16,333 Posts
I use my Blu Ray player straight to my receiver for pretty much all movie watching with atmos/Lossless TrueHD audio. Do Netflix or Vudu have lossless atmos/TrueHD content?

No streaming service that I am aware of can pass HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, etc). Atmos is a bit different so the lossless data stream can be passed via HDMI to your tv but the problem would be getting the same lossless stream from the C8 back to the receiver, which you can't. If your UHD/Blu-ray player has dual HDMI out then you can send to the video to the C8 and the audio to the receiver and get lossless Atmos and HD audio that way.

·
Registered
505 Posts
No streaming service that I am aware of can pass HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, etc). Atmos is a bit different so the lossless data stream can be passed via HDMI to your tv but the problem would be getting the same lossless stream from the C8 back to the receiver, which you can't. If your UHD/Blu-ray player has dual HDMI out then you can send to the video to the C8 and the audio to the receiver and get lossless Atmos and HD audio that way.
I didn’t think so. Yeah that makes sense since the C8 itself can’t do lossless atmos. Doesn’t really matter though I don’t think if no streaming services have lossless atmos though right?

Well, I’m using one HDMI from my Blu Ray player to my receiver that allows both Video+Audio. There’s the option to do video+audio or audio only in settings. I guess maybe this could come in handy if you had a receiver that couldn’t display DV but could Atmos lossless whereas the TV cannot? So I’m hoping I’m really getting what it’s saying properly.. I would think I am though..? In playback info it displays as for example if the content is Dolby Vision 12 bit + Dolby Atmos playback info for the content shows Dolby Vision 12 bit + TrueHD 7.1 ch and then for my video (which is video+audio) HDMI playback info it says Dolby Vision 12 bit + TrueHD (which is of course what Atmos extends upon). My receiver shows Dolby Atmos as playing. So you’d say I’m getting the proper DV/Atmos right? Also, important question this has made me think of, I wouldn’t think it would make PQ difference having video go through my AVR vs. C8 via HDMI for HDR/Dolby Vision or would it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Right now, after applying the setting from Rtings.com I'm pretty satisfied, and the Default settings for HDR10/Dolby Vision have me completely satisfied! Every UHD Blu-ray I've watched has been AMAZING!!
Has it been officially determined that under the motion settings, De-Judder only affects 24/30fps content, while De-Blur only affects 60fps content... or do they both work in conjunction?

·
Registered
320 Posts
It definitely is incredible with my UB820. Just wish I could determine if 4:4:4 had any impact on 4:2:0/4:2:2 UHD movies. Thanks so much for the response. I agree! Let the C8 work it’s upscaling magic for sure!
From what I understand 4:4:4 doesn't work correctly except in PC mode. It also down converts to 8 bit video. Not a good thing for HDR content. It's fine for SDR

·
Vendor
26,628 Posts
So, here's my personal opinion on hiring a professional calibrator; don't do it unless they'll come back and do it again after firmware updates. This set has changed a lot after the last update and I would've hated to pay money only for it to go to waste. Since that's highly unlikely, get a spectrometer and color hcfr and learn how to do it the hard way. Preferably on an LCD so you can learn how it works first before trying on an OLED so you don't get burn in. It's not the most intuitive thing, but it's also not hard to use. Very similar to calman if you know what you're doing. And you may end up finding you enjoy doing it and it may become a hobby. It has for me over the last 10 years. No, I'm not a professional calibrator, but with the knowledge I've gained and the tools I have I'm confident my calibrations are very close, if not the same, as a professional. Much better than anything Best buy could ever do.
I have been reading this thread since inception, I saw a lot being said about the update and setting getting messed up on the last few pages, however I do not recall any other times, at least not at this level.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So, here's my personal opinion on hiring a professional calibrator; don't do it unless they'll come back and do it again after firmware updates. This set has changed a lot after the last update and I would've hated to pay money only for it to go to waste. Since that's highly unlikely, get a spectrometer and color hcfr and learn how to do it the hard way. Preferably on an LCD so you can learn how it works first before trying on an OLED so you don't get burn in. It's not the most intuitive thing, but it's also not hard to use. Very similar to calman if you know what you're doing. And you may end up finding you enjoy doing it and it may become a hobby. It has for me over the last 10 years. No, I'm not a professional calibrator, but with the knowledge I've gained and the tools I have I'm confident my calibrations are very close, if not the same, as a professional. Much better than anything Best buy could ever do.
I have been reading this thread since inception, I saw a lot being said about the update and setting getting messed up on the last few pages, however I do not recall any other times, at least not at this level.
My tone my have sounded a little negative. It definitely has improved/fixed the black crush and macroblocking problem. I personally think they did us a huge solid. It looks a little darker, but I think that's just a gamma and EOTF change. My opinion on calibrations is because I've seen sets change dramatically over time. My 6 year old Sony w900a lost about 50% of it's light output and the grayscale shifted to an extreme blue. Same thing has happened with all my sets. It's much cheaper to learn how to do it yourself if you have the time and patience.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I sent you a private message in regards to your firmware request
Is it possible to get the 04.10.15 in FW? I upgraded and it did help with the macroblocking which I did have but it made the image look a bit less engaging overall. I'll revert back if possible until Jeff Meier (UMR) comes in a few weeks to calibrate my set

If anyone has the file and can PM, I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Has it been officially determined that under the motion settings, De-Judder only affects 24/30fps content, while De-Blur only affects 60fps content... or do they both work in conjunction?
I think you are correct. I make notes from loads of sources, but I don't always note where they came from. Sometimes they are additive, as in the below. Some of it was from one of Vincent Teoh's video but I can't remember more. However, if you accept that, here's what I have: :)

["Custom"]: De-Judder [24Hz] - Controls frames that are added. Everyone can find their happy medium. Too high will produce the Soap Opera Effect.
["Custom"]: De-Blur [50/60Hz] - Without corrections to 50/60Hz material, fluid motion would look blurred. This sharpens it back up.

Clearly, you can't add extra frames if the material is already 50/60Hz, so for that content, De-J can't do anything. So logically, De-J is only for 24/30Hz content.

I'm sure that De-B doesn't drop frames but don't know exactly what it is doing to each 50/60Hz frame.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Does LG at some point force those updates in which they regard as “important updates” onto those that have chosen not to update for quite some time or are you able to stay on whatever FW you like for any period of time?

On a completely separate note, as long as I’m not experiencing any video/audio dropouts my HDMI cables are obviously holding their own, right? I’m not using all premium certified. However, the ones that aren’t premium certified have excellent reviews that they work as intended maximum HDMI 2.0 standards can allow and I’ve experienced no issues thus far and I’ve used them for about a year now. I would’ve known/noticed if they were struggling somehow, right? Do the premium certified also affect colors/other aspects I’m unaware of aside from holding proper speed?

·
Registered
297 Posts
no. update from USB using prior firmware. Despite what others are saying, my HDR picture is is not as bright and lacks the pop that it had prior to this most recent update.

If you are able to do this then you can update it naturally from old version and judge for yourself
Thanks. You can go back to older version using USB?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is it possible to get the 04.10.15 in FW? I upgraded and it did help with the macroblocking which I did have but it made the image look a bit less engaging overall. I'll revert back if possible until Jeff Meier (UMR) comes in a few weeks to calibrate my set

If anyone has the file and can PM, I'd be grateful.
Can someone send me 04.10.15 fw?
Hate to be that guy but mind helping me out too? Definitely getting crushed blacks since the update.
PM'd you all.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
It's really frustrating that this new update crushes blacks. It also seems HDR isn't as bright. What the hell LG?!!?
Yes, this is the big problem!! HDR is definitely not as bright and all these ire fixes people are posting won't work for HDR since gamma cant be adjusted on HDR mode. Has anyone been able to revert firmware back? I am desperate to do so
The issue is with SDR.
I was replying to the two posts above yours. They (and others) are saying the new FW Update has affected HDR's brightness.

You are certainly correct though about SDR. I watched 911 and The Enemy Within last night and the blacks were horrendous in a few scenes. They crushed details BIG TIME!

14061 - 14080 of 23827 Posts