AVS Forum banner

15801 - 15820 of 23766 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
All the people downloading firmware updates from engineer mode need to understand that you're basically downloading a beta firmware that engineers continue to improve on until it's released to the public. IE....don't do it.
So some feel the regular firmware is bad and the firmware updates from engineer mode are real bad.... Got it... /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

I guess lol. Firmware .31 fixed a lot of things on my set. You won't hear me complaining. Downloading an unreleased engineer firmware is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Guys what Level do u gave brightness? 50 is Standard but it has black crush
Depends on your firmware level.. For me 50 kills deep blacks .. I stay under it around 48.. I’m still on .15 firmware.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Waxman2003 posted this awhile ago....seemed simple enough, but wondering what others thought?

"The way I set my brightness for SDR is at night in a totally dark room, use the youtube app and play 10 hours HD black screen. Let your eyes adjust for a few minutes. Get close to the screen and raise brightness until it glows. Lower 1 click until it's black. Next, go into advanced at select 5 IRE. raise luminance 1 click at a time until it glows. Then lower until it's black. On my E6, my brightness is 51. 5 IRE luminance is at +5. That's the best I can get it. That's for gamma 2.2"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi All,
Brand new c8 owner here and I just had a quick question regarding firmware. Since I got my tv, new firmware have been coming available and I'm currently on 4.10.15. After reading through lots of posts here, it's seems the consensus is that .15 is one of the better versions. Would I be smart to just leave it as is? or are there any advantages to updating further? I see some people saying they are suffering from black crush with hdr content that worries me a little. Thanks!
I wouldn't say that there is a consensus. I'm perfectly happy with the fw update, but there have been differing results. For me, the benefit of the update was the improvement with near black flashing while, at the same time, not introducing any of the problems that others have reported with the update. However, it seems that not all displays suffered from near black flashing to the same degree. If your display does not exhibit near black flashing, and you're otherwise happy with the picture, then there is probably no reason to update.

·
Vendor
26,593 Posts
Do you really want to download firmware from a Russian site onto your $3000 TV? No way in the world I would do that. Beta's offered from the US servers are enough of a gamble.
People where using the Korean updates......so who knows....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does any of you have any idea from ​​what is composed "smooth" and "clear"? I found the only setting for my eyes is "smooth", but I'd like to cut it down by half. Is there a service menu setting to reduce it to half or what it is composed of? I do not want to go into a polemic, smooth is the only option I like and only that eliminates the problem I have been faced with since i bought the first oled, meaning "strobing effect".

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
You do, in SDR mode. See below :)

The picture modes change, depending on what signal you are getting.

If it ever says "(User)" at the end, it just means you have made a change from the factory defaults.

For HDR10, HLG, and SL-HDR1 signals, they come under the umbrella term "HDR" at the top of the menu and this is the one that contains the "Cinema Home" mode:

For SDR, a completely different set, and includes the two ISF modes.

For dolby vision, a big fat clue at the top including a logo ;)

HTH
Very nice explanation. Thx. So this is the only way to know if the TV is rcv'g Dolby Vision?

·
Registered
16,321 Posts
Very nice explanation. Thx. So this is the only way to know if the TV is rcv'g Dolby Vision?

In theory, as soon as the LG detects a DV signal, it should display Dolby Vision briefly in the upper right hand side of the screen. If not, or if you miss it, you can always click on Picture Mode to see what the LG has defaulted to. It should say Dolby Vision Home or something like that. I took the screen shot info above and put them in a Word doc. for quick reference some time ago because I can never remember the modes.

SDR modes

• Vivid
  • Standard
  • Eco
  • Cinema
  • Sport
  • Game
  • HDR Effect
  • technicolor Expert
  • ISF Expert (Bright Room)
  • ISF Expert (Dark Room)
HDR10 & HLG modes

• Vivid
  • Standard
  • Cinema
  • Cinema Home
  • Game
  • technicolor Expert
Dolby Vision modes

• Vivid
  • Standard
  • Cinema
  • Cinema Home
  • Game

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
I did not notice that there are plastics at the back.

Anyone did not remove it and how long is your tv now and still no issue with it?

I removed the ones on the sides but thinking not to remove the big one. I don't think it will have a burn smell later on as the back is not hot

After researching, I removed it since it should be removed
Yes, correct - as repeatedly posted here. No need to research elsewhere when the answer is regularly posted here :)

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Waxman2003 posted this awhile ago....seemed simple enough, but wondering what others thought?

"The way I set my brightness for SDR is at night in a totally dark room, use the youtube app and play 10 hours HD black screen. Let your eyes adjust for a few minutes. Get close to the screen and raise brightness until it glows. Lower 1 click until it's black. Next, go into advanced at select 5 IRE. raise luminance 1 click at a time until it glows. Then lower until it's black. On my E6, my brightness is 51. 5 IRE luminance is at +5. That's the best I can get it. That's for gamma 2.2"
I might be reading it wrong. Doing the above would set the black level correctly, but it would crush your 5 IRE level down to "black" (bolded part).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
LG C8 FAQ

Please read the following before posting questions in this thread. This is to spare regular contributors having to answer the same questions repeatedly. Thank you for your cooperation.

Click on the blue show spoiler button below to see the post.
The latest firmware:
4.60.01 - stable? --> still too soon to tell, not everyone can download it yet
4.10.31 - stable? --> no, people have reported various issues with it.
4.10.15 - stable? --> yes
4.10.06 - stable? --> yes

You could enter the service/engineering mode to access a different set of firmware; however, we don't recommend people doing that as it could brick your TV. Have a little patience and wait for the official versions through either the TV Updates or LG's website.

If you're boneheaded and don't care about possibly FUBARing your TV, you can enter the service/engineering mode by following Carbon Ft Print's instructions:

1. Need an LG Service Remote (or other options ... see note 3 below), enter code 0000 or 0413
2. Bought this lg service remote from amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M91STG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. This previous post has all links: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2962154-2018-lg-c8-e8-owners-thread-no-price-talk-210.html#post56966634

Settings:
Stick with 3 picture modes
- Game --> When you're gaming, otherwise, use the other two
- technicolor Expert
- isf Expert(Bright or Dark)

Stick with using color temp settings of Warm 1 or Warm 2

Turn off both Energy Saving mode and TruMotion

Members have reported that you need to run the TV for at least 100 hours before the PQ settles. Until then, you may continue to see "drift", necessitating setting changes.

Otto Pylot compiled the following picture modes and what settings are available under each.

SDR modes

• Vivid
  • Standard
  • Eco
  • Cinema
  • Sport
  • Game
  • HDR Effect
  • technicolor Expert
  • ISF Expert (Bright Room)
  • ISF Expert (Dark Room)
HDR10 & HLG modes

• Vivid
  • Standard
  • Cinema
  • Cinema Home
  • Game
  • technicolor Expert
Dolby Vision modes

• Vivid
  • Standard
  • Cinema
  • Cinema Home
  • Game
A couple of forum members have graciously posted their spectrometer calibrated settings for their C8s. Please note that we don't recommend that you copy their luminance settings as there's variance in TV sets which would mean that their settings may NOT work for you. This is just a starting point. Reset back to default if you don't like it.

Chronitis
My main settings are (using firmware 4.10.31):
isf dark
OLED light 28
Brightness 50
Contrast 85.
Gamma 2.4

20 point luminance adjustments:
5) +12
10) +14
15) +12
20) +10
25) +8
30) +6
35) +7
40) +4
45) +3
50) +4
55) +6
60) +3
65) +2
70) +5
75) +6
80) +3
85) -2
90) -3

jk82 posted the following difference from Chronitis, you may be able to find a setting in between the two that look better on your set
5: +13
10: +16
15: +12
20: +10
25: +9
30: +6
35: +3

mrtickleuk posted an informative image of the location of the 3 additional plastic sticker screen protectors on the rear of the unit that you can remove. That's in addition to the main one on the front of the screen. They're used mainly for protection during shipping and setting up but can be safely removed once you have it placed in a permanent location.

Otto Pylot has this to say about HDMI cables
The 2018 C8's have HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI inputs. For cable runs under 25' it is recommended that Certified Premium High-Speed HDMI cables, that come with the QR label be used. For HDMI runs over 25', the recommendation is hybrid fiber cables.
Updated

·
Registered
473 Posts
I might be reading it wrong. Doing the above would set the black level correctly, but it would crush your 5 IRE level down to "black" (bolded part).
Guess I don't fully understand enough to appreciate the more technical help offered up here. Terms like "2 Points" and "20 Points IRE" are just foreign to me. Would be nice to find a full explanation glossary of all the terms used and the affect they have on a viewer's experience. If anyone knows a a link to one, would greatly appreciate it. Most I have come across in searches are of a highly technical nature and intended for those with AVS backgrounds.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

That's exactly how you are reading it. 5% should already glow as it's not black...definitely don't want to take it to black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Guess I don't fully understand enough to appreciate the more technical help offered up here. Terms like "2 Points" and "20 Points IRE" are just foreign to me. Would be nice to find a full explanation glossary of all the terms used and the affect they have on a viewer's experience. If anyone knows a a link to one, would greatly appreciate it. Most I have come across in searches are of a highly technical nature and intended for those with AVS backgrounds.
Check out post #13799 and #13958 and #14453 .

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's exactly how you are reading it. 5% should already glow as it's not black...definitely don't want to take it to black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The way I read it, he is displaying a 0% (16) full screen black pattern while adjusting IRE 5 Luminance as high as possible without raising the black level. I don't know if that is the best way to adjust IRE 5, but the 0% pattern should stay black unless IRE 5 has been raised too far.

15801 - 15820 of 23766 Posts