AVS Forum banner

16921 - 16940 of 24805 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
About the black crush that people often mention when they don't see 17 (or full Range 1) on a black clipping pattern:

Do you even realize how insanely dark 0.0003 nits is? Because that's what the target for limited range 17 is when using gamma 2.4 and 120 nits peak. That's like 1/100 the brightness of a 3% slide which already is very very dark.
In the past I was also always trying to get 17 to show up on those flashing bars test pattern but all this has gotten me was often seeing elevated blacks in movies...
I wouldn't be surprised if most people have their

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Is the color gamut still locked to wide in game mode in FW 05.10.00?
Yes, it's locked to wide in SDR mode. In HDR color gamut in game mode let's you select any of the 3 options

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
That's not the case in my experience. 24p looks fantastic without any of the issues you allude to. In fact, my LG LCD downstairs looks great as well with 24p content. TruMotion is disabled on both. No fluctuating brightness issues, flashing or crushing. Sounds like it's time for you to move on to LED. I hear Samsung makes some very nice LED sets. Sorry to hear you got a lemon.
Same for me. I have not experience any of those issues on my set either

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Wow finally lg has listened ha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
My apologies, it is locked in SDR mode. I was in hdr mode when I checked..

·
Premium Member
6,972 Posts
That's not the case in my experience. 24p looks fantastic without any of the issues you allude to. In fact, my LG LCD downstairs looks great as well with 24p content. TruMotion is disabled on both. No fluctuating brightness issues, flashing or crushing. Sounds like it's time for you to move on to LED. I hear Samsung makes some very nice LED sets. Sorry to hear you got a lemon.
Same for me. I have not experience any of those issues on my set either

Add me to the list! Granted, I had to so some minor tweaking in the gamma settings (5% IRE Luminance to +12) to counteract "black crush," but I have never had the issues listed by sorinelionut.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
^^ Can always tilt it down to remove that fireplace height effect issue.
Still get heat damage from the fire below. There are many many reasons why it's a bad idea :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
That's not TOO BAD, as long as there's no neck or back pain involved.;)

Again, with those who mount their displays ABOVE a fireplace, if it's an LCD not only will there be neck/back issues, but there will be serious viewing problems in most cases, for we know that the colors and brightness of an LCD will "wash out" as one gravitates too far from center. This is not only true of going too far "to one side," but also too far "above." I have seen many LCD displays at B&M stores mounted way too high and it was indeed "washed out" (you especially notice it if another display is mounted right below it.

Of course, this is a moot point for this thread, for OLED owners are blessed with a beautiful display that has no issues with "viewing angles.":cool:
had a friend who had his tv over fireplace , slightly angled downward , but always left with a stiff sore neck . Hated watching TV at his house .

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
had a friend who had his tv over fireplace , slightly angled downward , but always left with a stiff sore neck . Hated watching TV at his house .
Your use of the past tense - did it affect your friendship that much ;) ? If you're still in touch I'd be interested to know if he now has long-term neck issues and regrets it. Among my circle of friends, one has chosen a house without a fireplace in favour of a house with one, specifically for TV placement reasons. Another has removed a fireplace so that the TV can go where it SHOULD go at the proper height. And the first one has recently moved again, to a house with a fireplace, and guess what's getting ripped out soon :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey - How can I share a screenshot that I took from the WebOS on my e8? I want to send it to my computer, or e-mail, or something! I did try to search, but I couldn't find anything on googley bear or this site.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Your use of the past tense - did it affect your friendship that much ;) ? If you're still in touch I'd be interested to know if he now has long-term neck issues and regrets it. Among my circle of friends, one has chosen a house without a fireplace in favour of a house with one, specifically for TV placement reasons. Another has removed a fireplace so that the TV can go where it SHOULD go at the proper height. And the first one has recently moved again, to a house with a fireplace, and guess what's getting ripped out soon :)
He moved to a place without a fireplace , and has his tv on a stand now. It did bother his neck a lot at previous place . I just been over a couple of times to watch tv since he moved into his new place. He grudgingly admits tv over fireplace was not a great idea. But yeah after a couple times at his previous place I was not going there anymore more to watch a movie or football. Tv was too high up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
He moved to a place without a fireplace , and has his tv on a stand now. It did bother his neck a lot at previous place . I just been over a couple of times to watch tv since he moved into his new place. He grudgingly admits tv over fireplace was not a great idea. But yeah after a couple times at his previous place I was not going there anymore more to watch a movie or football. Tv was too high up.
I agree. Mine is mounted above the fireplace downstairs... and yes, it hurts my neck after long periods. I bought a new couch to help with that.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
LG C8 FAQ
Answers to your FAQing questions

Please read the following before posting questions in this thread. This is to spare regular contributors having to answer the same questions repeatedly. Thank you for your cooperation.

Click on the blue show spoiler button below to see the post.
The latest firmware:
5.10.20 - stable? --> yes
5.10.03 - stable? --> yes
4.10.55 - stable? --> no, the consensus seems to be that if you're on .31 you're better off updating, otherwise, stay on .15 for now.
4.10.31 - stable? --> no, people have reported various issues with it.
4.10.15 - stable? --> yes
4.10.06 - stable? --> yes

mrtickleuk posted this chart outlining recent firmware releases. Note that some of the versions listed are beta versions that can only be downloaded through service/engineering mode.

Jrocker23 posted this link to download the most recent beta fw. Use at your own risk!:
Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iR..._yTiVEOrt5gvrt

05.10.02 (Korean Release ** Good For US TV C8 Models)
05.10.03 (Korean Release ** Good For US TV C8 Models)

We recommend that you set the auto firmware update to off so that others can first evaluate whether or not there are any issues with the new firmware. OTA updates do not get pushed out to everyone at the same time so you may be late in receiving the notice after everyone else.

Vinicio Anthone posted a link to the service manual.

leiff has instructions on how to manually upgrade/downgrade the firmware:
- Unzip file and put that package in a directory (aka folder) named LG_DTV.
- Put that LG_DTV directory in the root directory of your thumb drive.
- Install Sure (Android) / Smartify (iOS) home universal remote app.
- Turn TV on
- Open app and add your TV with the add devices tab
- After TVs added, click the Rubix Cube looking icon and you'll see a long list of TV options. scroll down to almost the bottom and you see software update
- Put your thumb drive in the TV and then click the software update button on the sure app and you should see your package on the update file on your TV screen - Click it to put a check box beside it and then click update red button below

You could enter the service/engineering mode to access a different set of firmware; however, we don't recommend people doing that as it could brick your TV. Have a little patience and wait for the official versions through either the TV Updates or LG's website.

If you're boneheaded and don't care about possibly FUBARing your TV, you can enter the service/engineering mode by following Carbon Ft Print's instructions:

1. Need an LG Service Remote (or other options ... see note 3 below), enter code 0000 or 0413
2. Bought this lg service remote from amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M91STG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. This previous post has all links: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...rs-thread-no-price-talk-210.html#post56966634

Settings:
RTINGS has some good general calibration settings: RTINGS

Generally, from the members' feedback, you'll want to stick to 3 picture modes
- Game --> When you're gaming, otherwise, use the other two
- technicolor Expert
- isf Expert(Bright or Dark)

Stick with using color temp settings of Warm 1 or Warm 2

Turn off both Energy Saving mode, TruMotion, and Dynamic Tone Mapping

Members have reported that you need to run the TV for at least 200 hours before the PQ settles. Until then, you may continue to see "drift", necessitating setting changes. Also, note that there are variations between TV sets. Just because the setting works perfectly for someone doesn't mean it will work perfectly for you without some tweaks.

After the 200 hours break-in period, you can get a professional calibrator to calibrate your TV. You can find them here:
AVS Forum List
RTings List

Otto Pylot compiled the following picture modes and what settings are available under each.

SDR modes

• Vivid
  • Standard
  • Eco
  • Cinema
  • Sport
  • Game
  • HDR Effect
  • technicolor Expert
  • ISF Expert (Bright Room)
  • ISF Expert (Dark Room)

HDR10 & HLG modes

• Vivid
  • Standard
  • Cinema
  • Cinema Home
  • Game
  • technicolor Expert

Dolby Vision modes

• Vivid
  • Standard
  • Cinema
  • Cinema Home
  • Game

A few forum members have graciously posted their spectrometer calibrated settings for their C8s. Please note that we don't recommend that you copy their luminance settings as there's variance in TV sets which would mean that their settings may NOT work for you. This is just a starting point. Reset back to default if you don't like it.

Chronitis has graciously updated his settings for the latest firmware 5.10.03

Chronitis has the following settings for firmware 4.10.55. Please read the post right after this one as it contains his settings for HDR.

ISF Dark and Technicolor expert

If you're looking for older settings for firmware 4.10.31 by Chronitis and jk82, click on the blue show spoiler button below to see it.
Chronitis
My main settings are (using firmware 4.10.31):
isf dark
OLED light 28
Brightness 50
Contrast 85.
Gamma 2.4

20 point luminance adjustments:
5) +12
10) +14
15) +12
20) +10
25) +8
30) +6
35) +7
40) +4
45) +3
50) +4
55) +6
60) +3
65) +2
70) +5
75) +6
80) +3
85) -2
90) -3

jk82 posted the following difference from Chronitis, you may be able to find a setting in between the two that look better on your set
5: +13
10: +16
15: +12
20: +10
25: +9
30: +6
35: +3

jk82 posted this update:
Just for comparison, these are the low end values that my panel needs at brightness 50, Oled 36, BT1886:

FW 04.10.55
5: 16
10: 20
15: 16
20: 14
25: 11
30: 8
35: 5

FW 05.10.00
5: 9
10: 9
15: 5
20: 3
25: 1
30: -2
35: -4

Chronitis's HDR settings
I finally got HDR calibrated to reference standards. Use Technicolor expert. Leave all the main settings at default and turn off all the picture enhancement features, except dynamic tone mapping. I personally turn it on after my calibration.

White balance: warm 2

2 point high: red 2, green -1, blue-8
(This will vary depending on the set, though it's very similar on the two sets I've owned)

Code values rgb
272: 5,6,7
341; 10,10,11
409: 8,8,10
443: 13,13,14
476: 15,15,16
494: 16,16,17
509: 14,14,15
525: 14,14,15
539: 15,15,16
555: 12,12,13
572: 11,11,11

All values after are affected by tone mapping and can't be calibrated from my experience.

Color management(only change luminance)

Red: 30
Green: 17
Blue: 3
Cyan: 5
Magenta: 8
Yellow: 8

Note: Red has changed a lot since the update. Not sure why?

Game mode uses color temp of w50 and color of 70

sorinelionut posted his calibration settings which you can see if you click on his name. It's quite long and rather than making this FAQ longer I'm just going to post the link to the post going forward.

Problems:
You can reboot the TV by holding the power button on the back of the TV's lower left for about 8 seconds until the screen comes back on.

mrtickleuk says to trigger the screen saver there is an "Energy Saving" mode which offers options of Auto, off, Min/Med/Max/Screen off". The last option gives you a full black screen until you press a button on the remote, so that's a simple way around it. (You can also trigger a full black screen manually when you want to prevent burn-in by using the remote's voice command by saying "screen off".)

Also, you could use the "Quick Access" feature which you get by long-pressing any numbered button from 1-9, and it will save that app or input. For mine I have 1=HDMI2, 2=YouTube app, 7=Gallery app, 8=Photo and Video app, etc. Then I only have to long-press "2" to launch YouTube. So we ALL have "direct input selection", via the Quick Access function

Furthermore, he posted an informative image of the location of the 3 additional plastic sticker screen protectors on the rear of the unit that you can remove. That's in addition to the main one on the front of the screen. They're used mainly for protection during shipping and setting up but can be safely removed once you have it placed in a permanent location.

Otto Pylot has this to say about HDMI cables
The 2018 C8's have HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI inputs. For cable runs under 25' it is recommended that Certified Premium High-Speed HDMI cables, that come with the QR label be used. For HDMI runs over 25', the recommendation is hybrid fiber cables.

Updated

·
Premium Member
6,972 Posts
I agree. Mine is mounted above the fireplace downstairs... and yes, it hurts my neck after long periods. I bought a new couch to help with that.
So, does your new couch have a lift on it? ;)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Still get heat damage from the fire below. There are many many reasons why it's a bad idea :)

Agreed, but this is for people who have installed it higher than usual, w/o fireplaces. Also I'm not sure how many use their fireplaces, I'm probably going to get a load for asking?

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
Agreed, but this is for people who have installed it higher than usual, w/o fireplaces. Also I'm not sure how many use their fireplaces, I'm probably going to get a load for asking?
I don't know the answer, but if the fireplace is never used yet you mount the TV above it anyway, without ripping out and get all that neck strain, surely that's even sillier ;). Just rip it out.
But each to their own.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Never been to Texas so I don't really know, does it cold enough to even want a real fireplace on?

Up here (in the winter) we actually use ours to help heat the house... ;)

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
I'm half-considering a dentist's chair to watch TV in. Seems to be the perfect angle, great leg support, fully adjustable, and most comfortable.

·
Premium Member
6,972 Posts
I'm half-considering a dentist's chair to watch TV in. Seems to be the perfect angle, great leg support, fully adjustable, and most comfortable.
I've watched tv in a dentist's chair before, but it was always mounted on the ceiling or near the ceiling facing down. Of course, I also had my teeth cleaned or repaired at the same time!:)

16921 - 16940 of 24805 Posts