AVS Forum banner

17601 - 17620 of 23876 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Try connecting to 2.4ghz

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. I should have added to the original post that was my first thought was a frequency issue so went into router and turned off frequencies and tried each one and nothing worked better.

I'll be truthful I'm surprised others haven't run into the same problem. This is a huge deal for anyone wanting to take advantage of TV UI vs a 3rd party device which limits options especially when you strictly stream TV service. I cut traditional TV (satellite, cable) 3 years ago and will never be going back.
I can connect sometimes using TV wifi but throughput is really slow, grainy picture spinning bar etc.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes indeed, my LED strip, if I leave it plugged in, does turn on/off with the tv. When I turn the tv off, if it has been on more than 4 hours, the Luninoodle stays on for about 10 minutes until the pixel refresh comp cycle if finished running. I just do not like it on all the time, like when I have other room lights on it seems unnecessary to have the LED strip on as well since it is doing nothing beneficial. Like right now, while I am typing away using my 77" as a monitor with my iMac mini and I have the room lights on. I have some doubts as to a lengthy lifespan of these light strips. On the other hand, having said that, I do also have a 15 year old Lumi 6k Kelvin fluorescent style light fixture as well that is still working with its original bulb.
Now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
^^^ Cheers, and I'll give Jeff M. your regards if you like when I see him week after next. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the response. I should have added to the original post that was my first thought was a frequency issue so went into router and turned off frequencies and tried each one and nothing worked better.

I'll be truthful I'm surprised others haven't run into the same problem. This is a huge deal for anyone wanting to take advantage of TV UI vs a 3rd party device which limits options especially when you strictly stream TV service. I cut traditional TV (satellite, cable) 3 years ago and will never be going back.
I can connect sometimes using TV wifi but throughput is really slow, grainy picture spinning bar etc.
In Advanced WiFi Settings on the TV Network\WiFi Connection, turn IPv6 OFF. The default is ON.
This fixed a slow connection for me. Both 2.4 and 5 GHz work well when I did this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have ripped about 60 of my UHD Blu-ray disc to a network server that runs the Plex TV server app The Plex player app in my LG 65C8 can play most of these, but not if I turn subtitles on. It gives me an error message saying the "server is not powerful enough to convert the video". This message is misleading and does not reflect what is really happening. The LG's Plex App is asking the Plex server to transcode, in real time, the video down to some less demanding format (e.g., perhaps 1080p) and my server (hardware) doesn't have the ability to do that. The real issue is the Plex player in the LG either has software and/or data rate limitations or fhe LG's processor that is running the Plex app is simply not powerful enough to support 4K video (at the ripped UHD Blu-ray's high data rates) and to do subtitles at the same time. These same 4K movies play just fine with subtitles turned on when using the Plex player app on my PCs and also on my Nvidia Shield TV, so it's not a really a server issue. I would note that I also have a 4K FireTV (stick) and it's Plex app cannot generally play the UHD Blu-ray rips at all (I assume not enough processing power to handle the high data rates).

Have any other C8 owners had similar issues with the limitations of the Plex app in their C8 TV when playing UHD Blu-ray rips?
I believe most Plex clients only natively support .srt subtitles, subs in other formats may have to be transcoded. It varies depending on client/platform.

At least Plex passthrough of HDR to TVs works without any hassle, last time I tried playing back HDR on a PC it was a huge PITA.

·
Registered
355 Posts
WiFi for most things are unusable. 5.8MHz maybe better though lesser distance coverage. But we have way to many devices that are creating a noisy environment.
Don't want to start anything, but not everyone's set is the same. I have not had one issue at all since I bought the tv a year ago. My wifi works fine on 2.4 and 5.8 on all settings except when Ipv6 is enabled. The speeds even match up with what I get from my isp!!! Might have to do with my equipment is all right next to each other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wish I was smart enough to be specific in describing what the issue I'm having is, but not sure if its a flash or flicker or what, but in dark scenes I've started to notice some dark areas will flicker on and off. Ive adjusted various settings, tonight it happened while streaming Captain America 4k. I eventually will try to watch it with the 4k disc and see if it does the same thing, but Im hoping someone will immediately know what im referring to and can advise me. I did try to search and find the issue previously mentioned but am pretty illiterate when it comes to getting around these forums. Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wish I was smart enough to be specific in describing what the issue I'm having is, but not sure if its a flash or flicker or what, but in dark scenes I've started to notice some dark areas will flicker on and off. Ive adjusted various settings, tonight it happened while streaming Captain America 4k. I eventually will try to watch it with the 4k disc and see if it does the same thing, but Im hoping someone will immediately know what im referring to and can advise me. I did try to search and find the issue previously mentioned but am pretty illiterate when it comes to getting around these forums. Thank you!
Ok - so I did compare it to the 4k disc and only seems to be an issue when streaming. Assuming its a compression/streaming issue and nothing to do with the tv?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
In Advanced WiFi Settings on the TV Network\WiFi Connection, turn IPv6 OFF. The default is ON.

This fixed a slow connection for me. Both 2.4 and 5 GHz work well when I did this.
Actually the default is off. My IP6 setting was off when I bought it and I just did a complete reset yesterday and it was off again after having it on prior.

The biggest issue with WiFi is 5Ghz is an issue with any channels over 100. Once I put my router to a channel below 100 on 5Ghz, I haven't had an issue since

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

·
Banned
6,246 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lg launches and promotes "8k" ... what to do with "8k" when most of the viewing time you see no "4k" on your screen.

About the "Lg" and "oleds" ... they have launched the 2018 range and so far have struggled to fix it. It was not more correct to launch it as it should from the beginning. If we look back in the past, "lg c8", first problems with brightness, then problems with flashes on the screen, then they destroy the gamma .... and have not yet fix it, the latest update is still in beta.

In conclusion "8k" is all we need!

Personally, I have been waiting for more than a year Lg to repair my TV, TV that should not have the above mentioned issues since I bought it.

And me, a pretense, I was worried that stutter should be the biggest problem they should be dealing with for the oled to bee the new standard and home video.

I've seen a study by Rtings, I'll post here if anyone wants to see him ... the study shows how stutter to oled is mediocre, best oled does not salt 5 out of 10 ... and they what do, promote 8k standard, this was our last problem.

See on the tv' lists where oleds are: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter

Yes every ‘issues’ you mentioned are software related and can be corrected. Why would they stop advancing their resolution when their competitors are doing the same? What do you expect the hardware engineers to do? Just sit around and not advance their technology for tomorrow? I work in the software side of things. Nothing is more frustrating when people think it’s easy to make fixes or change an existing software lol. It’s in beta which means it’s under development and testing or QA phase. Be glad that they’re still allocating resources to fix current issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have ripped about 60 of my UHD Blu-ray disc to a network server that runs the Plex TV server app The Plex player app in my LG 65C8 can play most of these, but not if I turn subtitles on. It gives me an error message saying the "server is not powerful enough to convert the video". This message is misleading and does not reflect what is really happening. The LG's Plex App is asking the Plex server to transcode, in real time, the video down to some less demanding format (e.g., perhaps 1080p) and my server (hardware) doesn't have the ability to do that. The real issue is the Plex player in the LG either has software and/or data rate limitations or fhe LG's processor that is running the Plex app is simply not powerful enough to support 4K video (at the ripped UHD Blu-ray's high data rates) and to do subtitles at the same time. These same 4K movies play just fine with subtitles turned on when using the Plex player app on my PCs and also on my Nvidia Shield TV, so it's not a really a server issue. I would note that I also have a 4K FireTV (stick) and it's Plex app cannot generally play the UHD Blu-ray rips at all (I assume not enough processing power to handle the high data rates).

Have any other C8 owners had similar issues with the limitations of the Plex app in their C8 TV when playing UHD Blu-ray rips?

Same here! Plex app on the TV can play 4k hdr with atmos but if you turn on subtitles it will start buffering as the server need to convert the file. I also have an Nvidia Shield TV and plex works without issues so it's definitely a tv (or plex app on the tv) problem.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I believe most Plex clients only natively support .srt subtitles, subs in other formats may have to be transcoded. It varies depending on client/platform.

At least Plex passthrough of HDR to TVs works without any hassle, last time I tried playing back HDR on a PC it was a huge PITA.
Do you know of any software that can take a UHD BD rip from MakeMKV and produce .srt subtitle file(s)?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Ok - so I did compare it to the 4k disc and only seems to be an issue when streaming. Assuming its a compression/streaming issue and nothing to do with the tv?

A little more info would be helpful. What firmware are you on and what are you using for streaming - source, service. Also settings on the display - ISF Night, Cinema, etc. I for one do not have this issue, nor have I with 4k regardless of source. We all know about SDR prior to some previous updates :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thank you. What about the horizontal movie like bars?
I ran 3 pixel refreshers. TV is only 7 days old.

Another photo attached.
So I wouldn't run anymore Pixel refreshers....you should only be doing that once every 2000 hours or if you have severe picture quality issues. Let the TV do it's normal 4 hour Pixel refresh cycle, don't do the manual one at this time. First off, you need to let the TV get at least 200 hours on it, that way you can let the panel settle in more. The 5% Grey test is a nice test, but the real test is.... do you see those lines in normal watching? If you don't then I wouldn't worry about the 5% test. Again, wait till you have around 200 hours, pay attention and see if you notice those lines in regular viewing, then do the 5% test again. I had slight vertical bars on my 5% grey, but I do not see them in normal viewing, and I have not bothered with the grey test in probably 8 months....when I hit 200 hours.

Also, congrats on the new TV and welcome!!! I hope you get great enjoyment out of your new set, and another piece of advice.....if you do not see any issues during your viewing habits....don't go looking for any!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
So I wouldn't run anymore Pixel refreshers....you should only be doing that once every 2000 hours or if you have sever picture quality issues. Let the TV do it's normal 4 hour Pixel refresh cycle, don't do the manual one at this time. First off, you need to let the TV get at least 200 hours on it, that way you can let the panel settle in more. The 5% Grey test is a nice test, but the real test is.... do you see those lines in normal watching? If you don't then I wouldn't worry about the 5% test. Again, wait till you have around 200 hours, pay attention and see if you notice those lines in regular viewing, then do the 5% test again. I had slight vertical bars on my 5% grey, but I do not see them in normal viewing, and I have not bothered with the grey test in probably 8 months....when I hit 200 hours.

Also, congrats on the new TV and welcome!!! I hope you get great enjoyment out of your new set, and another piece of advice.....if you do not see any issues during your viewing habits....don't go looking for any!!!
Thank you. I don’t really see the vertical bands, only slightly at night in a dark scene. It is the horizontal lines that can bother me - again only at night in dark scenes. Someone said to me the panel has major burn in, but those horizontal bars were here before watching anything.

17601 - 17620 of 23876 Posts