AVS Forum banner

17621 - 17640 of 23827 Posts

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Thank you. What about the horizontal movie like bars?
I ran 3 pixel refreshers. TV is only 7 days old.

Another photo attached.
Per a couple of the reviews out there this is "normal" and should not show up in normal content.

Do you see it in normal viewing situations?

There is one report of someone reporting "jail bars" in very dark content being slightly noticeable but I don't think a single other person has indicated that it can be seen in regular viewing.

All display technology available in 2019 has some artifact like this that will show up in test patterns, the real question is do you see it in content you actually watch and does it bother you?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Thank you. I don’t really see the vertical bands, only slightly at night in a dark scene. It is the horizontal lines that can bother me - again only at night in dark scenes. Someone said to me the panel has major burn in, but those horizontal bars were here before watching anything.
Is this a new tv? I don’t see how you could burn in the letter box in 7 days...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you. What about the horizontal movie like bars?
I ran 3 pixel refreshers. TV is only 7 days old.

Another photo attached.
Those horizontal bars almost look like the top and bottom black bar area from movies.. Do they line up exactly to movies? Was the tv an open box unit where it was used by someone and returned?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I really hope my ordeal has made people second guess buying LG products. So finally received a decision and update on my faulty tv this morning and was told that the request for replacement has been rejected and the issue csn be fixed. LG wants to send out another repair tech for their 4th attempt at fixing the tv and it is only 4 months old now. LG had yold me that it is their policy to do three repairs and if none of those worked then they would find another solution. This will be the 4th repair, so now they are not following their policies and all 3 previous attempts did not fix the issue but only caused more. I'm expecting after #4 that I wont even be able to turn it on anymore.

Seriously, think twice before you buy LG. Their service is terrible and they will do anything not to assist you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those horizontal bars almost look like the top and bottom black bar area from movies.. Do they line up exactly to movies? Was the tv an open box unit where it was used by someone and returned?
Could check the number of hours on the TV to make sure it is a new one perhaps?

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
I really hope my ordeal has made people second guess buying LG products. So finally received a decision and update on my faulty tv this morning and was told that the request for replacement has been rejected and the issue csn be fixed. LG wants to send out another repair tech for their 4th attempt at fixing the tv and it is only 4 months old now. LG had yold me that it is their policy to do three repairs and if none of those worked then they would find another solution. This will be the 4th repair, so now they are not following their policies and all 3 previous attempts did not fix the issue but only caused more. I'm expecting after #4 that I wont even be able to turn it on anymore.

Seriously, think twice before you buy LG. Their service is terrible and they will do anything not to assist you.

Is there an equivalent to the Better Business Bureau in Canada ? Time to go the escalation route imo . Also take your case to social media , post on the lg Facebook page .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Steff3

·
Registered
179 Posts
The wifi on the LG C8 is so slow its unusable. TV has the latest firmware. It's not the router I've tried 2 different models and the TV wifi acts the same.
Hardwired directly to the router works fine and if any external devices using wifi like Roku, firetv, Shield etc. are hooked up it works. Is there a fix or some special settings for the TV wifi to work directly without the need for third-party devices? I've never owned a TV especially at this price point that didn't have flawless wifi.

The reason I'm trying to get this working I'm moving to a new home and won't be close to the router and prefer using the TV UI vs a 3rd party device.
There has to be some other issue(s) going on with your setup. My 65" C8 is connected wirelessly (5Ghz) and is downstairs from my router (about 20-25 feet away diagonally...signal going through ceiling) and I get approximately 130mb downstream (measured using the C8's built-in web browser on the ookla speed test site). I have no issues whatsoever playing back 4K content on Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, VUDU, etc. Btw, I pay for 150mb speed through Cox cable, but actual speeds are closer to 170mb.

·
Vendor
26,628 Posts

Have you reached out to the dealer you bought it from for support?

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Bought a C865 in late March.
Plugged in "generic" settings from rtings.com.
Some non-challenging material looked fine, others not so fine, some awful.

Kris Deering, DeepDive A/V, calibrated my set yesterday.
So nice now. Showed and explained the various results to me.
Oranges are a tad pushed on my panel but nothing to worry about.
Nothing is perfect.

Kris is well-known to say the least on this forum & elsewhere.
If you live in the Puget Sound area you owe it to yourself to get the most out of any display you have.
Kris will make that happen.

I've had\have 3 projectors, 2 plasmas & a so-so Sony 4k LCD\LED purchased after a bedroom set puked.
Certainly not the only great flat panels out there but the LG OLEDs are fantastic, imo

·
Registered
935 Posts
See photo here - i have drawn 2 red rectangles on the horizontal bars. Was like this out of the box.

Is this burn in at the factory?
Will it go away after 200hours cycle?

MyTV is UK brand new from John Lewis. I cannot check number of hours of use.

Really stressed out over this. Should I get it replaced. The macroblocking/posterisation handling is excellent on this panel and sent back Sony AF9 already due to macroblocking.

Help, please.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Bought a C865 in late March.
Plugged in "generic" settings from rtings.com.
Some non-challenging material looked fine, others not so fine, some awful.

Kris Deering, DeepDive A/V, calibrated my set yesterday.
So nice now. Showed and explained the various results to me.
Oranges are a tad pushed on my panel but nothing to worry about.
Nothing is perfect.

Kris is well-known to say the least on this forum & elsewhere.
If you live in the Puget Sound area you owe it to yourself to get the most out of any display you have.
Kris will make that happen.

I've had\have 3 projectors, 2 plasmas & a so-so Sony 4k LCD\LED purchased after a bedroom set puked.
Certainly not the only great flat panels out there but the LG OLEDs are fantastic, imo

Very good. Read his article on Sony laser projection and he came up with a new contrast measuring technique with Spears' help. I think that may become a standard for projectors.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
See photo here - i have drawn 2 red rectangles on the horizontal bars. Was like this out of the box.

Is this burn in at the factory?
Will it go away after 200hours cycle?

MyTV is UK brand new from John Lewis. I cannot check number of hours of use.

Really stressed out over this. Should I get it replaced. The macroblocking/posterisation handling is excellent on this panel and sent back Sony AF9 already due to macroblocking.

Help, please.

This lines up perfectly with a 2.40:1 aspect ratio which is the aspect ratio that most movies use.
I've seen similar temporary image retention when I watched a bright HDR movie on my C6 but it would always go away after one or two comp cycles...
If it stays like that after a few comp cycles + watching some 16:9 content I would guess this is a permanent fault. I would also try a manual comp cycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts

This lines up perfectly with a 2.40:1 aspect ratio which is the aspect ratio that most movies use.
I've seen similar temporary image retention when I watched a bright HDR movie on my C6 but it would always go away after one or two comp cycles...
If it stays like that after a few comp cycles + watching some 16:9 content I would guess this is a permanent fault. I would also try a manual comp cycle.
He has already run 3 comp cycles. Unless the UK version is different you should be able to go into the general portion of the menu and get info about the set and it should show hours. If it is bothering you that much then I would reach out and see about replacing it. Sounds like you are seeing the horizontal bars in regular viewing, if it is something you can't live with and do not want to wait till the 200 hour mark to see if it goes away, then return it. You need to be happy with your purchase, only you can decide that. Good luck and I hope that you end up happy with whatever you do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there a way to find the Magic Remote? My 14th month old has placed it somewhere in the condo .. perhaps in the best hiding spot, ever.

A few google searches have been fruitless. What is I want is something that will cause the remote to make a noise so I can track it down. It seems silly that the remote doesn't have that feature - or, am I missing something?

Thanks

·
Registered
935 Posts
Is there a way to find the Magic Remote? My 14th month old has placed it somewhere in the condo .. perhaps in the best hiding spot, ever.

A few google searches have been fruitless. What is I want is something that will cause the remote to make a noise so I can track it down. It seems silly that the remote doesn't have that feature - or, am I missing something?

Thanks
Probably tried this already but just in case not - check with the toys.

In the meantime as an emergency solution you could use the lg remote App to operate the tv. Download it from Apple or Google Play store on your phone/tablet.

17621 - 17640 of 23827 Posts