AVS Forum banner

19861 - 19880 of 23822 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
5.10.03 Canadian vs Korean

Downloaded from Canadian LG website (https://www.lg.com/ca_en) from URL: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=jcK4ePQ2YC0gquJkQv5Cg on 7/31/2019
Name: starfish-atsc-secured-o18-56.glacier.o18-5620-05.10.03_prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk
Size: 899276247 bytes (857 MiB)
SHA256: 402AEA07AA82005D6C0114B305BDE7DCAAB1EE433F9492E3277D5D39202CF449

Downloaded from Korean LG website (https://www.lgservice.co.kr/download/selectProductSearch.do) from URL: https://www.lgservice.co.kr/fileDownload.do?cBbsCode=SW_PDS&cSeq=11832&check=true on 8/1/2019
Name: starfish-atsc-secured-o18-56.glacier.o18-5620-05.10.03_prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk
Size: 899276247 bytes (857 MiB)
SHA256: 402AEA07AA82005D6C0114B305BDE7DCAAB1EE433F9492E3277D5D39202CF449

Conclusion: Identical

4.10.55 US vs Korean

Downloaded from US LG website from URL: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=2fxvzK1QovdLWYNXbesQ on 5/16/2019
Name: starfish-atsc-secured-o18-56.glacier.o18-561303-04.10.55_prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk
Size: 896791127 bytes (855 MiB)
SHA256: 1F2810FC876B5DBB8684EA49F1E462D5A80CEE968CB1134E60813D01CEC18587

Downloaded from Korean LG website (https://www.lgservice.co.kr/download/selectProductSearch.do) from URL: https://www.lgservice.co.kr/fileDownload.do?cBbsCode=SW_PDS&cSeq=11769&check=true on 8/1/2019
Name: starfish-atsc-secured-o18-56.glacier.o18-561303-04.10.55_prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk
Size: 896791127 bytes (855 MiB)
SHA256: 1F2810FC876B5DBB8684EA49F1E462D5A80CEE968CB1134E60813D01CEC18587

Conclusion: Identical

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Additional notes/findings: The US and Canadian files aren't just identical, but I suspect are actually downloaded from the same place on the same server, based on the direct download URL/hostname above.

The Korean files which come within zip files named "webOSxxxxxxxx.zip" contain an lg_dtv folder which then contains the epk file. The US and Canadian files do not. You have to create the lg_dtv directory yourself.
Thanks for that information.

I have tried both and cant get my C8 to accept either one, when I load the thumb drive i only get two options photos and music. I am in southern California and the firmware has not been pushed for some reason.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for that information.

I have tried both and cant get my C8 to accept either one, when I load the thumb drive i only get two options photos and music. I am in southern California and the firmware has not been pushed for some reason.
Freshly format your USB stick to FAT32 (others have had success with NTFS as drive format, but I'm just going with what just worked for me a moment ago).

Create a folder on the freshly formatted USB stick named: LG_DTV
(note the underscore between!)

Copy the "starfish-atsc-secured-o18-56.glacier.o18-5620-05.10.03_prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk" file into the LG_DTV folder you just created on the USB stick.

Safely eject the USB stick from your computer (if in doubt, shut down the computer before removing the USB stick).

Plug the USB stick into your TV. After a moment, you should be prompted to update.

(when done, and the TV has rebooted with new firmware, you can safely eject the USB stick from the TV by pressing the eject button next to the device under the Inputs menu)

Good Luck!

--H

·
Registered
59 Posts
Freshly format your USB stick to FAT32 (others have had success with NTFS as drive format, but I'm just going with what just worked for me a moment ago).

Copy the "starfish-atsc-secured-o18-56.glacier.o18-5620-05.10.03_prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk" file into the LG_DTV folder you just created on the USB stick.

Safely eject the USB stick from your computer (if in doubt, shut down the computer before removing the USB stick).

Plug the USB stick into your TV. After a moment, you should be prompted to update.

(when done, and the TV has rebooted with new firmware, you can safely eject the USB stick from the TV by pressing the eject button next to the device under the Inputs menu)

Good Luck!

--H
Thank you I will give that a try.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The picture on my 77C8 seems "off" and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. The picture doesn't look terrible and all the fine detail is there, but there a "swarm"-like level of movement on top of it. Not grain, but it looks like very light artifacting. It's most pronounced in backgrounds like skies, fabrics, etc.--things where there isn't a lot of detail to distract from the effect. I watched UNDER THE SKIN the other night, where there are a lot of colors/lights against pitch black backgrounds, and it was VERY compression-y. I've seen the disc elsewhere and it doesn't look like that. The set is up-to-date on software and I'm using the RTings settings. Does anyone have a hunch on what this could be, or should I just hire an ISF calibrator? I wish I could post a picture of it, but it's really tough to capture in a still.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Good Luck!

--H
Thank you i will give that a try.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The picture on my 77C8 seems "off" and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. The picture doesn't look terrible and all the fine detail is there, but there a "swarm"-like level of movement on top of it. Not grain, but it looks like very light artifacting. It's most pronounced in backgrounds like skies, fabrics, etc.--things where there isn't a lot of detail to distract from the effect. I watched UNDER THE SKIN the other night, where there are a lot of colors/lights against pitch black backgrounds, and it was VERY compression-y. I've seen the disc elsewhere and it doesn't look like that. The set is up-to-date on software and I'm using the RTings settings. Does anyone have a hunch on what this could be, or should I just hire an ISF calibrator? I wish I could post a picture of it, but it's really tough to capture in a still.
Do you have these same artifacts on a different setting that you haven't calibrated like technicolor or Cinema?

·
Vendor
26,626 Posts
Is that is all content? Almost sounds like a defect.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Is that is all content? Almost sounds like a defect.
Yup, all content. Is there any way to work with LG to determine if it's a defect, and, if so, to get the set replaced?

·
Vendor
26,626 Posts
Yup, all content. Is there any way to work with LG to determine if it's a defect, and, if so, to get the set replaced?
If its in all content, that is pretty much defective. Check the menu's to see if you see it as well. Call LG at 1 (800) 243-0000

·
Registered
199 Posts
Still sitting here in Los Angeles wondering what the hell LG is doing to STILL not provide the .03 OTA update. This is getting ridiculous.
Heh, at least you're not as silly as me, who began to receive 5.10.03 over the air, but then canceled it in order to do a factory reset. . . and was never offered it again.

I grew tired of waiting. And, having satisfied myself that the Canadian, Korean, and US firmware versions have all been identical up until now, I applied the Canadian update to my OLED65C8 this morning.

. . . thus ensuring that OTA deployments will be more widespread and the US website will be updated with the firmware within the next few hours. ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's an understandable source of anxiety. Personally, I'd take the plunge only because I instinctively dislike being stuck on something "old" and wouldn't like knowing that I'm unable to take part in future improvements forever after. I would also dislike "living in fear" of an accidental update. So I'd just commit to getting the new firmware looking as good (or as much like the old firmware) as possible. But, keep in mind, it sorta just comes down to personality type. . . I also like to try new operating systems while they're still bleeding edge (and usually, therefore, terrible in many ways), etc.

The other way to look at it is. . . "if it ain't broke. . . don't fix it." If you don't have the macro-blocking and you love the picture as-is. . . and can live with the worry of an accidental update happening some day. . . keep it.

I realize I'm not saying anything new, but sometimes hearing/reading it all "out loud" helps in the decision-making.

--H

P.S. Don't blame me if you try it and hate it! ;)
I agree! I took the plunge and updated from my old trusted .15 firmware. Took a few hours this morning to recalibrate everything and it looks great.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
I agree! I took the plunge and updated from my old trusted .15 firmware. Took a few hours this morning to recalibrate everything and it looks great.
Now that it's all settled down I may even try a full 3dlut calibration with a few thousand points. I've only done the Matrix and so-called Lightning options so far.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Now that it's all settled down I may even try a full 3dlut calibration with a few thousand points. I've only done the Matrix and so-called Lightning options so far.
I actually prefer manually calibrating my display, due to the issues with calman and 3dlut with the lg.

Reactions: Glenee

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I've been looking everywhere for some help. It is JUST Madden 20 and MLB 20 in HDR game mode. No other game do I have an issue with. I don't get it and it frustrates me.

Do I absolutely have to get a controller to turn off the setting or can I use for instance an android tablet and get the app etc? Figure I would ask before going further. Might take you or one of the legends up on the offer if there really is nothing I can do. The brightness fluctuations are ruining the experience for me. Messing with the settings somewhat works, but I just want that nice, bright picture to stay nice and bright/colorful.
Yeah, it happens most of the time with HDR with me as well. I recommend getting an official remote, this way there is no wondering or issues that might come up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M91STG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
319 Posts
unfortunately the kind of gradual dimming you get from games like madden cant be turned off

i despise it so much aswell, i bought the TV thinking disabling TPC would get rid of this type of thing but apparently they introduced a new undefeatable dimming feature ioutside of ABL n 2018 OLEDs... thx LG

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I hate to break up this whole firmware talk... Exciting times with 5.10.03 and all, but I have to unfortunately report that my 65" C8 with under 650 hours has a green stuck pixel... The only time I can really notice it is if the screen is black, or if I get up close and look right at it. Ran the full pixel refresher a few times, still there. Not sure if it's worth having LG come swap it out because the uniformity of the panel is pretty damn good. I guess maybe I'll wait it out a little longer, I've only had the TV since March.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone successfully updated their LG TV with the latest firmware via USB from a Mac? I formatted my USB drive to a PC, followed the instructions but no luck.

19861 - 19880 of 23822 Posts