AVS Forum banner

19881 - 19900 of 23820 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I hate to break up this whole firmware talk... Exciting times with 5.10.03 and all, but I have to unfortunately report that my 65" C8 with under 650 hours has a green stuck pixel... The only time I can really notice it is if the screen is black, or if I get up close and look right at it. Ran the full pixel refresher a few times, still there. Not sure if it's worth having LG come swap it out because the uniformity of the panel is pretty damn good. I guess maybe I'll wait it out a little longer, I've only had the TV since March.
It's possible if you give it some time you may forget to keep looking for it. My last tv, a plasma, had a tiny physical mark (I don't know how it happened) in the middle of the screen, but once I forgot about it, I didn't see it anymore because I wasn't trying to see it. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
unfortunately the kind of gradual dimming you get from games like madden cant be turned off

i despise it so much aswell, i bought the TV thinking disabling TPC would get rid of this type of thing but apparently they introduced a new undefeatable dimming feature ioutside of ABL n 2018 OLEDs... thx LG
I realize this isn't a solution. . . but would this happen if you began your play session with OLED Light set to a lower number so that you begin at the point where you eventually reach anyways?

I ask because, I'd personally find it less annoying to start out dim than gradually watch it dim. Considering that when I leave my TV in "Dark Room" mode during the day, I think "man that looks dim. . ." but then I immediately stop noticing it.

--H

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Pro calibrator Vincent Teoh:
Calibrated this LG 65E8 OLED on firmware 05.10.03 for day, night, HDR and Dolby Vision modes. Skin tones much healthier after correcting original cyan cast. Cleaner near-blacks too with low-end gamma calibration.… instagram.com/p/B0qWEUBJURH/…

·
Registered
450 Posts
Still waiting here in Austin, Texas and no updates found. I might just bite it and try the Canadian one. I wonder if they pulled it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Do you have these same artifacts on a different setting that you haven't calibrated like technicolor or Cinema?
Just checked, and yep. Worth mentioning that brightly-lit scenes are usually fine, and the "swarm" effect is barely visible. As lighting dims, it gets worse--just like artifacting. Bottom line is that even a high quality source like a blu ray looks like a reasonably good streamed source, but not one that's as good as a disc, if that makes sense. It's like the quality of the source is being degraded 10-20%, so it's not the kind of thing that would jump out at you and would probably go unnoticed by most people, but HT enthusiasts would eventually notice that something's up. That has a me a little nervous to try to get the set replaced, because the defect is subtle.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I did the Canadian 05.10.03 update from USB stick. So far so good and no issues. DV and HDR10 seem to have better shadow detail. Will calibrate SDR tomorrow.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I hate to break up this whole firmware talk... Exciting times with 5.10.03 and all, but I have to unfortunately report that my 65" C8 with under 650 hours has a green stuck pixel... The only time I can really notice it is if the screen is black, or if I get up close and look right at it. Ran the full pixel refresher a few times, still there. Not sure if it's worth having LG come swap it out because the uniformity of the panel is pretty damn good. I guess maybe I'll wait it out a little longer, I've only had the TV since March.
LG won't bat an eye over one hot pixel. I had one that disappeared. Don't sweat it especially since you cant really see it.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Just checked, and yep. Worth mentioning that brightly-lit scenes are usually fine, and the "swarm" effect is barely visible. As lighting dims, it gets worse--just like artifacting. Bottom line is that even a high quality source like a blu ray looks like a reasonably good streamed source, but not one that's as good as a disc, if that makes sense. It's like the quality of the source is being degraded 10-20%, so it's not the kind of thing that would jump out at you and would probably go unnoticed by most people, but HT enthusiasts would eventually notice that something's up. That has a me a little nervous to try to get the set replaced, because the defect is subtle.

What is your viewing distance and what picture mode are you using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Has anyone successfully updated their LG TV with the latest firmware via USB from a Mac? I formatted my USB drive to a PC, followed the instructions but no luck.

i've done 4 updates using a USB stick for the C8 using a Mac.
no issues encountered.

just make a LG_DTV folder on the top level of the USB stick

drop the .epk inside the folder. wait a minute or two until the file is fully transferred to the stick.
eject the stick and plug into the C8. the C8 should detect the stick and display a prompt to do the upgrade

the latest epk file is:

starfish-atsc-secured-o18-56.glacier.o18-5620-05.10.03_prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Still sitting here in Los Angeles wondering what the hell LG is doing to STILL not provide the .03 OTA update. This is getting ridiculous.
I'm on the SF Peninsula about halfway between SF and SJ - no update prompt for me yet, but I also haven't prompted the TV to manually check for an update (never needed to before).

Like @Otto Pylot I am still running .15 and not anxious to update until more reviews come in.

In past firmware update frenzies, I've frequently been multiple days behind others in the same geo, and I know I'll get it eventually. Will probably download the file so I have it available just in case, but I'll also probably decline updating for several days until a fuller shake-out of reactions to the new firmware gets shared here.

(Sorry - I know lots of folks are sick of firmware discussions; but since some are anxious, thought I'd share).

·
Registered
20 Posts
i've done 4 updates using a USB stick for the C8 using a Mac.
no issues encountered.

just make a LG_DTV folder on the top level of the USB stick

drop the .epk inside the folder. wait a minute or two until the file is fully transferred to the stick.
eject the stick and plug into the C8. the C8 should detect the stick and display a prompt to do the upgrade

the latest epk file is:

starfish-atsc-secured-o18-56.glacier.o18-5620-05.10.03_prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk
I've tried that multiple times. How is your USB stick formatted? The only format the TV recognizes for me is MS-DOS/FAT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i'm using an ancient 2 GB USB stick formatted on my Mac as FAT32
Weird. Tried what you recommended, which is the same thing I tried before. The Photo/Music dialogue box pops up on screen when I plug in the USB drive and disappears after 5 seconds. Guess I'll wait until I can get it through the software update feature.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just curious as to whether anyone thinks the block LG put into place to stop rolling back FW will ever receive a solution? Or if it would be pretty much impossible for any app to override this? I also am anxious about accidentally pressing yes to the update nag in time since I can’t block it in my router. Saw one account where the TV did it anyways - electronics do have minds of their own sometimes. Every time I turn it off I worry it’s somehow going to automatic update even though I have that set to off because electronics can be unpredictable! I hate that worry. So was just hoping the roll back feature had a possibility of revival.

I’m on .15 still and just can’t decide what to do like some others. Especially since it seems it might be based on possibly when each individual TV was manufactured as to whether the update is better or worse. This based on the fact that some are very satisfied in comparison to .15 whereas others say it still isn’t quite as good. I hate the idea of not being able to go back to .15 since I won’t really know until I tried .03 if my specific panel will better or worsen with it. Up until now there’s been more of a large general consensus to it being opinions on FW bettering or worsening specifically and not exact opposites due to possibly the panel manufacturing being in play. Maybe in time more accounts will help sway me one way or the other. Just doubtful since it seems so based on individual TV’s.

So, I just thought I’d ask about the rolling back feature just in case. 🙂 I hope too many aren’t bothered by another FW post. I feel this update has been awaited for so long it shouldn’t annoy too much! Thanks very much in advance to anyone reading and taking the time to respond! Congratulations to those enjoying the FW in a positive way and to those waiting, the finish line is in sight finally at least after so so long of absolutely nothing so try to focus on that! 🙂

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I had a stuck red pixel and LG came out and replaced my panel. I was within my 90 day Costco return period at the time though. You can try a hard reset (that button on the back, google the steps), that DID fix mine, but it came back after about 2 weeks..

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I had my panel replaced last week due to a large bright white stuck pixel. I bought the TV in April so this was a relatively new set like yours. The white “North Star” was annoying close to the center of the screen and impossible to ignore. I would recommend that you do the same. No reason not to under warranty. You should expect a perfectly working set.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the same green stuck pixel, noticed it on GOT s8 ep3 on 1st week of May, I got my TV on last week of March. I ran pixel refresher at least 3 times and even ran those youtube videos that supposed to fix it but it's still there. It was annoying at first and I looked at it everytime for the 1st few days. Though it can be seen only if dark background, still hard to notice it even I search for it. Eventually I got used to it since it's not noticeable. My panel is great so now I don't even know that's there is a stuck pixel unless I really look hard for it. You will eventually forget it after a week

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
What size screws did you guys use to mount the TV? I did a google search and I see suggestions of 12mm all the way up to 24mm.

The manual is no help, all it says is M6 screws

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've posted this a few times. But, I decided to clean it up and streamline it a bit (while noting defaults as changes are made). It's based mostly on RTings settings. Some people quibble with a few of them (to each their own). But these work great for me. I'm now on 5.10.03 firmware. Brightness of 53 remains the sweet spot for black levels in SDR (54 introduces the tiniest glow). I no longer need to add luminance to the 5% IRE 20-point white balance adjustment. Indeed, doing so seems to have very little effect. I may have lost a tiny bit of shadow detail in a pitch black room while staring at wizziwig's gamma correction slide. But try as I might, I couldn't detect any loss of detail in actual content.

Code:
Initial "Out of the Box / Reset to Factory" Settings:

All Settings
	Sound
		Dolby Atmost = Off (configure for your own audio setup)
		Sound Out = HDMI ARC (configure for your own audio setup)

General
		Power Savings
			HDD Power Saving Mode = Off
		Live Plus = Off
		Settings Help = Off
		No Signal Image = Off
		Personalized Recommendations = Off

Picture
		Picture Mode Settings (ignore this for now, it's covered in detail farther below)
		(the next few settings -- Aspect Ratio, Energy Saving, Additional Settings -- only need to be set once per HDMI input)
		Aspect Ratio Settings
			Aspect Ratio = 16:9
			Just Scan = On		
		Energy Saving = Off
		Additional Settings
			Eye Comfort Mode = Off
			HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color
				(if device on this input is HDR/Dolby Vision-capable, turn this on. . . may get turned on automatically by compatible devices)

-----===== PICTURE MODE SETTINGS =====-----

For each HDMI input/device, set up the following modes for each content type (SDR, HDR, DV):

SDR (standard dynamic range) = "ISF Expert (Bright Room)" and "ISF Expert (Dark Room)"
HDR (high dynamic range) = "Technicolor Expert"
Dobly Vision (Dolby's HDR, often abbreviated as "DV") = "Cinema Home"

Once each HDMI input has these four Picture Modes set up for each content type, the TV will remember to switch to each of them appropriately as it detects which content type is playing.  So, if you're watching Dolby Vision-enhanced content, the TV will switch automatically to "Cinema Home". . . then when you switch to HDR-enhanced content, the TV will switch automatically to "Technicolor Expert". . . then when you switch to SDR, it will go to whichever one of your ISF Expert modes you were using last ("Bright Room" or "Dark Room").  So, really, once these are all set up and tuned, you really only ever have to choose "Bright Room" or "Dark Room" in SDR content depending on room conditions.

If your device won't output HDR or Dolby Vision, you will only need to set up two picture modes (ISF Expert Bright and Dark).

Procedure, menu structure, and settings follow. . .

-----------------------------------------

First, select the HDMI input for the device.
Then, playback SDR, HDR, or Dolby Vision content so that the TV will offer the appropriate Picture Modes (not all modes are available for all media types)

----WHILE PLAYING BACK SDR (STANDARD DYNAMIC RANGE) MEDIA-----
Picture > Picture Mode Settings
	"ISF Expert (Bright Room)"
		OLED LIGHT = 60 (adjust to taste for bright room)
		Contrast = 85
		Brightness = 50 (my panel prefers 53 here, crucial adjustment for black levels)
		Sharpness = 0 (from 10)
		Color = 50
		Tint = 0
		Expert Controls
			Dynamic Contrast = Off
			Super Resolution = Off
			Color Gamut = Auto (from wide)
			Color Filter = Off
			Gamma = 2.2
			White Balance
				Color Temperature = Warm2
				(ignore all other "white balance" settings)
			Color Management System
				(ignore all Color Management System settings)
		Picture Options
			Noise Redution = Off
			MPEG Noise Reduction = Off
			Black Level = Low
			Real Cinema = On
			Motion Eye Care = Off
			TruMotion
				User
					De-Judder = 0 (adjust to personal preference)
					De-Blur = 10 (adjust to personal preference)
					Motion Pro = Off (avoid? -- causes flicker)

(on your way out, confirm that this HDMI input has its aspect ratio, just scan, energy savings (off!), and HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color settings set)	

"ISF Expert (Dark Room)"
		OLED LIGHT = 30 (adjust to taste for bright room)
		Contrast = 85
		Brightness = 50 (my panel prefers 53, crucial adjustment for black levels)
		Sharpness = 0 (from 10)
		Color = 50
		Tint = 0
		Expert Controls
			Dynamic Contrast = Off
			Super Resolution = Off
			Color Gamut = Auto
			Color Filter = Off
			Gamma = 2.2
			White Balance
			Color Management System
		Picture Options
			Noise Redution = Off
			Black Level = Low
			Real Cinema = On
			Motion Eye Care = Off
			TruMotion
				User

(on your way out, confirm that this HDMI input has its aspect ratio, just scan, energy savings (off!), and HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color settings set)

----WHILE PLAYING BACK HDR MEDIA (or force device into HDR output)-----
	"Technicolor Expert"
		OLED LIGHT = 100 (DO NOT ADJUST FOR HDR MEDIA!)
		Contrast = 85 (from 100)
		Brightness = 50
		Sharpness = 0 (from 10)
		Color = 50
		Tint = 0
		Expert Controls
			Dynamic Contrast = Off
			Dynamic Tone Mapping = On
			Super Resolution = Off
			Color Gamut = Auto
			Color Filter = Off
			Gamma = 2.2 (grayed out)
			White Balance
				Color Temperature = Warm1
			Color Management System
		Picture Options
			Noise Redution = Off
			Black Level = Low
			Real Cinema = On (grayed out)
			Motion Eye Care = Off
			TruMotion
				User (from off)

----WHILE PLAYING BACK DOLBY VISION MEDIA (or force device into Dobly Vision output)-----
	"Cinema Home (User)"
		OLED LIGHT = 50 (DO NOT ADJUST FOR DOLBY VISION!)
		Contrast = 85 (from 100)
		Brightness = 50
		Sharpness = 0 (from 20)
		Color = 50
		Tint = 0 (grayed out)
		Expert Controls
			Dynamic Contrast = Off
			Super Resolution = Off (from low)
			Color Gamut = Wide (grayed out)
			Color Filter = Off
			Gamma = 2.2 (grayed out)
			White Balance
			Color Management System
		Picture Options
			Noise Redution = Off (from low)
			MPEG Noise Reduction = Off (from low)
			Black Level = Low (grayed out)
			Real Cinema = On (grayed out)
			Motion Eye Care = Off
			TruMotion
				User (from clear)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeat the above for each HDMI input and/or device, and the built-in "smart tv" functionality.

·
Vendor
26,625 Posts
I had a red stuck pixel, I left it alone, it flickered sometimes then eventually went back to normal ;)

19881 - 19900 of 23820 Posts