AVS Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 3806 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ah I see. Sorry your package is outside of my budget.

What is the lowest realistic price to put a package together to do SDR Autocal only? 90% of my display use is gaming in SDR and watching SDR content.
No price talk allowed in this thread - but I can point you in the right direction.

You can autocal with MobileForge which is a free application. The issue you may run into is that the device running MobileForge may not output bit perfect HDMI. From what others have said, the Amazon FireTV Stick is likely your cheapest option that is compatible with MobileForge and can output bit perfect HDMI. Your other option is to buy a Raspberry Pi and download the Pattern Generator software made by biasi. You can find out more about that software here (use Google Translate to read in English): http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/88-c...lay/301272-rpg-rpi-pattern-generator-by-biasi

So then at that point you would need to buy a Spectracal C6, the cheapest option would be a re-certified C6 from Spectracal - https://store.portrait.com/meters.html

You can buy them used off of eBay too but I found the meter I bought off eBay to not be very accurate. At least the re-certified one from Spectracal is known to be within spec.

Lastly you need to buy the Calman Home Enthusiast software from Spectracal directly. https://store.portrait.com/software/calman-home-enthusiast-with-add-ons.html

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Had my display recently calibrated by a pro with Autocal 3D LUT (Lightning LUT) for HDR and Dolby Vision. All looked fine until I popped in the "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" 4K UHD HDR10 disc. See attached images. Throughout the film there are these strange reds, pinks, and smearing where highlights should be. It looks worse in real live viewing than in these photos, and happens a lot. Changing the picture mode to one not calibrated with Autocal 3D LUT shows the discs/film just fine.
So wanted to post an update. The calibrator was quick to issue me a refund, so that was good and very professional of him. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me, but he was very nice and professional about it. But this gave me the opportunity to look into this and start learning about it myself. This meant reading a TON of these forum's posts, other forums, articles, documentation, and emailing back and forth with Ted a lot, who seems very genuine in wanting to help, and was extremely helpful in helping me see through the weeds and see that in fact things are not as complicated or daunting as they may seem. Having someone like him, able to distill the critical information from lots of it, is a great asset to this forum.

I did my first 3D LUT 17pt calibration last night with LightSpace LTE, uploaded it to eeColor, and my LG has never looked better. This way makes a lot of sense, and is not very hard to do in fact. It would be nice if LG opened up their API to allow all calibration software the ability to upload 3D LUTs, but I'm doubtful this will happen. Too bad. But for me, I can only recommend the method I'm using to all those that might be on the fence. It simply works, and works extremely well.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
So wanted to post an update. The calibrator was quick to issue me a refund, so that was good and very professional of him. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me, but he was very nice and professional about it. But this gave me the opportunity to look into this and start learning about it myself. This meant reading a TON of these forum's posts, other forums, articles, documentation, and emailing back and forth with Ted a lot, who seems very genuine in wanting to help, and was extremely helpful in helping me see through the weeds and see that in fact things are not as complicated or daunting as they may seem. Having someone like him, able to distill the critical information from lots of it, is a great asset to this forum.

I did my first 3D LUT 17pt calibration last night with LightSpace LTE, uploaded it to eeColor, and my LG has never looked better. This way makes a lot of sense, and is not very hard to do in fact. It would be nice if LG opened up their API to allow all calibration software the ability to upload 3D LUTs, but I'm doubtful this will happen. Too bad. But for me, I can only recommend the method I'm using to all those that might be on the fence. It simply works, and works extremely well.
It seems there may be a way to load a 3DLUT from LS to Calman to are 2018 LG's. At least according to Ted.
But one thing is for sure the latest release of LS will not work. I will be using the LS beta Ted sent me later tonight and see if it works.

ss

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Sorry if this has been hammered home previously in the thread but, I have a 77C8 ordered that I am interested in calibrating.

I have no experience calibrating displays but understand the basic process pretty well.

I am trying to be economical and saw this bundle on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SpectraCal...lorimeter-VirtualForge-and-case/223193893334?

Comes with: "spectracal with colorimeter c6, videoforge hdmi, case with cable"

Will this allow for taking advantage of the AutoCal? Is there a better package out there for my needs? I really just want the C8 calibrated as best as possible and maybe the other displays in my house as a bonus.

Mainly viewing SDR content, maybe more HDR content depending how it looks (coming from 65E6 and HDR didn't wow me).
Check out how much it cost to renew the Licence for CalMAN-Studio, and if Caman will let you buy any of it calibration software used. Once you compare the cost of licence renewal you will understand why most of us have Calman Enthusiast. Also you may want to look at a X-Rite i1 display oem meter. It's the same meter as the C6.

btw, I have a 77C8 and have used Calman Enthusiast to calibrate. I also have LightSpace CMS but I still need to use Calman to load the 3DLUT file into my C8.

ss

Reactions: L30Z3N

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jesus, I've spend the day reading all the posts in this thread and it sure did inform me further on the autocal topic.

It is annoying LG tied the LUT uploading exclusively to Calman.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
It seems there may be a way to load a 3DLUT from LS to Calman to are 2018 LG's. At least according to Ted.
But one thing is for sure the latest release of LS will not work. I will be using the LS beta Ted sent me later tonight and see if it works.

ss
Yes, there is, but from my understanding do do that, you need to have the LG picture controls at their default positions, and that could be an issue unless your set has a perfect black level at 50 and contrast at 85. I think then if a new version can work without bypassing LG controls, then it may be interesting, but you still have to pay for CalMAN and it's annual fee. For just uploading not worth it to me. But interested to see how it develops.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Yes, there is, but from my understanding do do that, you need to have the LG picture controls at their default positions, and that could be an issue unless your set has a perfect black level at 50 and contrast at 85. I think then if a new version can work without bypassing LG controls, then it may be interesting, but you still have to pay for CalMAN and it's annual fee. For just uploading not worth it to me. But interested to see how it develops.
If you run a autocal 1D Grayscale then close CM and switch to say LS and run a profile/3DLUT. Then send that LUT file to CM install in the C8 that should work. Running a 21X3 profile now, already installed a 26 PT rolling grayscale in the ISF dark memory. Report back on how well that works.
btw, I do have a perfect black level @50.

ss

UPDATE.

LightSpace formatting of a LUT export doesn't work if sending the file to Calman and then loaded into the C8. :(
The 26PT rolling grayscale did work and was saved in the C8 after adding and removing the 3DLUT.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
If you run a autocal 1D Grayscale then close CM and switch to say LS and run a profile/3DLUT. Then send that LUT file to CM install in the C8 that should work. Running a 21X3 profile now, already installed a 26 PT rolling grayscale in the ISF dark memory. Report back on how well that works.
btw, I do have a perfect black level @50.

ss

UPDATE.

LightSpace formatting of a LUT export doesn't work if sending the file to Calman and then loaded into the C8. :(
The 26PT rolling grayscale did work and was saved in the C8 after adding and removing the 3DLUT.
Sounds like a mess! I was thinking though, why would CalMAN want to help out a competitor like LighSpace to upload their 3D LUTs to LG? Makes no sense really. CalMAN and LG probably have some exclusive deal, or LG would be the one to open up things to others like LightSpace. As such, I doubt using CalMAN to upload anything else BUT CalMAN LUTs will ever work properly. Doesn't make business sense.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,089
Also, I think we should get another Calman beta soon and Tyler said there would be some LUT improvements. Not sure if it's in this beta. We will have to see.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Sounds like a mess! I was thinking though, why would CalMAN want to help out a competitor like LighSpace to upload their 3D LUTs to LG? Makes no sense really. CalMAN and LG probably have some exclusive deal, or LG would be the one to open up things to others like LightSpace. As such, I doubt using CalMAN to upload anything else BUT CalMAN LUTs will ever work properly. Doesn't make business sense.

There’s nothing special about the .3dl 3D LUT files we are using.

There is nothing preventing a properly formatted 3D LUT from being loaded with CalMAN.

There is no conspiracy here.

Tyler

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
There’s nothing special about the .3dl 3D LUT files we are using.

There is nothing preventing a properly formatted 3D LUT from being loaded with CalMAN.

There is no conspiracy here.

Tyler
Then how come it's not working according to sillysally? Why the need for a 1D LUT? Seems unnecessary and cannot be backed up. Conspiracy? No, I just don't see why CalMAN would help a competitor out - it's just business. Does CalMAN have or not have a deal with LG? A simple yes or no.

EDIT: And BTW, I'm just a user here with zero skin in the game. But after a disastrous CalMAN calibration from a pro (see my post in this thread), and reading through pages of bugs and issues with CalMAN/Autocal, quite frankly it's baffling why people are still fighting with trying to get this software to work. It really is. The only reason is that it's the only way to upload direct to LG, but as I was saying, even that's broken and comes with caveats as pointed out. LG should open up, but they must have some deal. Too bad for consumers. Exclusive deals always hurt consumers. Way too long a thread full of issue after issue. Not a good impression at all.

Reactions: L30Z3N

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Then how come it's not working according to sillysally? Why the need for a 1D LUT? Seems unnecessary and cannot be backed up. Conspiracy? No, I just don't see why CalMAN would help a competitor out - it's just business. Does CalMAN have or not have a deal with LG? A simple yes or no.

EDIT: And BTW, I'm just a user here with zero skin in the game. But after a disastrous CalMAN calibration from a pro (see my post in this thread), and reading through pages of bugs and issues with CalMAN/Autocal, quite frankly it's baffling why people are still fighting with trying to get this software to work. It really is. The only reason is that it's the only way to upload direct to LG, but as I was saying, even that's broken and comes with caveats as pointed out. LG should open up, but they must have some deal. Too bad for consumers. Exclusive deals always hurt consumers. Way too long a thread full of issue after issue. Not a good impression at all.

In fairness the software works just fine internally. There are still hiccups it seems with external lut but people are finding work arounds with experimenting. It is possible to get a relatively solid cube using 16-235 video range which is probably where most movies lie anyway. And as someone pointed out a couple posts back, switching output of a signal generator to 1080i60 may help with video range 16-255 because of some weird internal conversions happening. I'm hoping to experiment on that tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

Once again,
the .3dl 3D LUT file format is not proprietary, it is a plain text file. We have full tested that CalMAN can re-load the format it creates. LightSpace claims they support this format, maybe they didn’t actually test it, or Silly Sally is having some other issue, I’m not sure. There are plenty of LightSpace + CalMAN users in this thread, not sure why they haven’t posted about it.

You don’t need to create a 1D LUT if you don’t want to. You can leave it set to unity.

Tyler

·
Registered
490 Posts
The fact is that LG does not make available a way of loading a .3dl 3DLUT on C8, and, if I am not wrong, nobody does that for free.

Of course that's source of speculations ...

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Once again,
the .3dl 3D LUT file format is not proprietary, it is a plain text file. We have full tested that CalMAN can re-load the format it creates. LightSpace claims they support this format, maybe they didn’t actually test it, or Silly Sally is having some other issue, I’m not sure. There are plenty of LightSpace + CalMAN users in this thread, not sure why they haven’t posted about it.

You don’t need to create a 1D LUT if you don’t want to. You can leave it set to unity.

Tyler
LOL, that's pretty funny stuff. Yeah, and you don't need to do a 3D LUT either :)

P.S. I noticed you said first you had no exclusive deal, but then edited your post to remove that :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I think then if a new version can work without bypassing LG controls, then it may be interesting, but you still have to pay for CalMAN and it's annual fee.
To be fair, you do not have to pay the annual fee. Only if you want to upgrade to the future versions do you need to pay anything more.

In fairness the software works just fine internally. There are still hiccups it seems with external lut but people are finding work arounds with experimenting. It is possible to get a relatively solid cube using 16-235 video range which is probably where most movies lie anyway. And as someone pointed out a couple posts back, switching output of a signal generator to 1080i60 may help with video range 16-255 because of some weird internal conversions happening. I'm hoping to experiment on that tonight.
Cool. Look forward to hearing how it goes! Could you try 1080p60 too? Just baffled why it must be interlaced.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
UPDATE.

LightSpace formatting of a LUT export doesn't work if sending the file to Calman and then loaded into the C8. /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
I thought you uploaded it previously and you got high dE’s, right? Try to do what you have done before just don’t measure anything outside 16-235.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
To be fair, you do not have to pay the annual fee. Only if you want to upgrade to the future versions do you need to pay anything more.

Cool. Look forward to hearing how it goes! Could you try 1080p60 too? Just baffled why it must be interlaced.

We'll see how much time I have. I'm gonna run it overnight with a combination of suggestions from people. Plan on doing a 1/5 llh sample reading with a .5 delay. At the 1080i60 setting on my vfp. Aim on doing a 2.2 gamma at 120nits.

I am curious about the 1080i60 as the person suggesting said it was an issue on the murideo. That it does internal conversion back and forth and can't reach 255 values accurately. I'm curious if the vfp is no different? Or if there is documentation of the murideo issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,100
^^^
If you set the Murideo to RGB limited you won't get the conversion and it will do 16-235. If you set it to RGB full then you get 0-255.

The problem is going from RGB to YCbCr and back to RGB.

I know Tyler suggests 0-255 but in my opinion, many of the LGs are just not linear above 235 even though some are, which may be causing a variance. Like with everything else, try it both ways, as most have been doing, and see what you like best.

2081 - 2100 of 3806 Posts