AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3759 of 3759 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the SM white balance fix survive a firmware update or does it have to be re-entered and re-calibrated?

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Service Menu (SM) white balance survives a firmware update. I had two updates since my last calibration, no change.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Does the SM white balance fix survive a firmware update or does it have to be re-entered and re-calibrated?
The Service Menu (SM) white balance survives a firmware update. I had two updates since my last calibration, no change.
Remember, the initial values in your SM are set by the calibration equipment at the factory and are unique to your panel, and are only stored locally for you. We all have different values in there, whether we've done our own tweaks or not. There's no way that any firmware update will ever dare to touch those values! :)

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Contast in DV is 50 not 100.
Actually, no sir, the original is correct :). You are getting mixed up with the "OLED Light" control in Dolby Vision mode.

In HDR10/HLG:
OLED Light [Panel output gain control] = 100
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 50

In Dolby Vision:
OLED Light [becomes a "PQ-EOTF boost mid-levels" control] = 50. (This was changed from 2019 onwards because it confused everyone)
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 50

·
Registered
13 Posts
Half-way down this page:
https://www.displaycalibrations.com/lg_2018_oled_profiling_using_lightspace.html
You don't do it separately: the SM Warm/Medium/Cool presets are shared across SDR, HDR10/HLG and Dolby Vision since the base 2pt WB is done in the panel's native gamma space. I had a big improvement in Dolby Vision just by fixing the SM "Warm" WB preset to D65.

There's a lot of info to digest on that page, so take your time reading it. :) HTH
Thank you very much!

A few additional questions:

1. Would you recommend to adjust also “cut”? If so, which IRE pattern should I use? Should I raise here the values only, so all larger than 64?

2. Is it correct that you care here just for the relative RGB values and not the target luminescence for a certain gamma?

3. Would you recommend to use HDR patterns or SDR?

4. Would it be a good idea to calibrate all three (Warm, Medium, Cool) to D65 and perhaps using For Warm SDR and for Medium HDR patterns?

5. What does the backlight setting do?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have noticed something interesting:

I calibrated the HDR-"Cinema"-Mode by using the 2pt-whitebalance option. My patterngenerator was the PGenerator + HD Fury Integral for injecting HDR-metadata.
I used the 30% and 100% testpattern. So far so good.

Then i tried the Autocal function on the "technicolor"-preset. And it worked flawlessly. But when i switch between the "Cinema"-Mode (manual calibration) and the "Technicolor"-Mode (autocal) i can see a change in APL.
I switched off "Dynamic Tone Mapping" to make sure that its the calibration itsself.

The HDR-preset created with AUTOCAL has a higher APL. The main difference is in the midtones. There seems to be no crush in the bright areas and no raised black levels. But midtones seems to be brighter and there is a slight increase of shadow detail but not much.

Is this a typical behavior or is my AUTOCAL-Preset flawed ? In isolation both presets look good but i want to know which preset is closer to reference. When comparing the two the manual calibration has a bit more punch and a more contrasty look and the AUTOCAL-Preset looks more reserved.

Are the standard presets (without calibration) known for having lower midtones than reference ?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I have noticed something interesting:

I calibrated the HDR-"Cinema"-Mode by using the 2pt-whitebalance option. My patterngenerator was the PGenerator + HD Fury Integral for injecting HDR-metadata.
I used the 30% and 100% testpattern. So far so good.

Then i tried the Autocal function on the "technicolor"-preset. And it worked flawlessly. But when i switch between the "Cinema"-Mode (manual calibration) and the "Technicolor"-Mode (autocal) i can see a change in APL.
I switched off "Dynamic Tone Mapping" to make sure that its the calibration itsself.

The HDR-preset created with AUTOCAL has a higher APL. The main difference is in the midtones. There seems to be no crush in the bright areas and no raised black levels. But midtones seems to be brighter and there is a slight increase of shadow detail but not much.

Is this a typical behavior or is my AUTOCAL-Preset flawed ? In isolation both presets look good but i want to know which preset is closer to reference. When comparing the two the manual calibration has a bit more punch and a more contrasty look and the AUTOCAL-Preset looks more reserved.

Are the standard presets (without calibration) known for having lower midtones than reference ?

What is the peak brightness of your panel? If it is over 700 nits , then it will track brighter than PQ after calibration with autoCAL.

This is why LG added the custom HDR tone curve settings for the 2019 TVs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
What is the peak brightness of your panel? If it is over 700 nits , then it will track brighter than PQ after calibration with autoCAL.

This is why LG added the custom HDR tone curve settings for the 2019 TVs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too bad i didnt check the exact value and i didnt safe the session because i only wanted to try the autocal function.
But i took a short look at the absolut brightness values and the peak brightness was closer to 800 than to 600 so it must have been above 700, maybe 720-740 ?

So if true that my peak brightness is higher than 700 using manual calibration is closer to EOTF-standard than using AutoCal ?

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
So if true that my peak brightness is higher than 700 using manual calibration is closer to EOTF-standard than using AutoCal ?
No it's nothing to do with whether the calibration is manual or not. The TV's tone mapping engine is based on a peak brightness of 700 nits which is fixed. On the 2019s as Tyler says you can tell the TV its real peak brightness. But for proper accurate PQ tracking on the 2018 LG, lower "OLED Light" down from 100 until it's at a value where peak HDR brightness measures as close to 700 as you can get it. On mine that's 87 IIRC. HTH.

ps this is covered in more detail in the previous posts already in this thread ;)
pps this only applies to HDR10. For HLG, it's relative so the peak can be as bright as you like with the panel's max brightness.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Any idea why this LG B8 behaves like this? Could it be the result of a Dolby firmware / software blob update in the v05.10.50 LG firmware package (EU version)?
I guess, due to the nature of the DolbyVision pattern generation with CalMAN + HDFury (YCC-like signal sent as RGB) this can't be a setup error (a not bit-perfect output either wouldn't work at all or at least drift in other aspects beyond the tone curve's shape).
I triple-checked the settings, closed and reopened CalMAN fresh from the default template, I re-uploaded the DV config file, etc.
I calibrated Cinema Home but it always behaved the same as regular Cinema after a reset and/or calibration. And I did a pre-cal check of the factory Cinema (regular, not Home) and Game modes and they look mostly the same as the calibrated Cinema Home (safe fro the factory black-crush).
Since HDR10 looks fine (relatively to what one should expect from an LG Alpha 7 base OLED), I guess this must be Dolby's fault. Could it be the DolbyVision IQ update? (Power Saving was set to Off and the room was dim, not fully dark.)

To be honest, I never cared to check these on my C9 (not with early, not with new, post-DolbyIQ firmware). I just used the iTPG on that one, never touched the HDFury and just expected everything to work since I can't do anything about the closed Dolby black box anyway...

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
DV Cinema Home is intended as a bright room mode and will not track PQ properly. If you do the same calibration in DV Cinema mode, then it will track correctly.
1: On my C9 both Cinema modes seem to behave exactly the same after a fresh DDC Reset or after a full calibration (to the same targets, obviously: the CalMAN defaults for the LG DV workflow [D65, g2.2], and of course every other TV user settings matched between the picture modes). The initial difference seems to fully disappear with a DDC Reset.

2: As I mentioned above: the regular Cinema mode (in it's factory default state, no less) measures just about the same as the calibrated Cinema Home mode. You can see I had an extra History tab open on the tone-mapped gray-scale verify charts (although I didn't post the screenshot of History2) - that is for regular Cinema.
But DV pre-cal also shows regular Cinema measurements because I didn't care to measure the factory state of Cinema Home before the Reset (since I know it's a custom "day mode" by default), I only went back to do some extra measurements after I noticed something is not right (during post-cal measurements). This is why pre-cal and post-cal charts are so very similar: the only difference is the slight adjustment to the display panel gamma response and the config file by AutoCAL (1DLUT + config file). But it's a well-behaved display panel, so the calibration doesn't make a big difference.

Right now, the calibrated Cinema Home looks really close to the factory default Cinema (save for the obvious black crush with post-marcro-block LG firmwares in default factory state which is not unit-specific but LG's fault in general) and both measure much further from the reference tone-curve than expected.
This difference is magnitudes higher than whatever is expected from the 1DLUT calibration of the gamma 2.2 response (and the pattern source was the same PC between HDR10 and DV, so HDR10 post-cal should be similarly flawed if the error was on the source side).

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Since HDR10 looks fine (relatively to what one should expect from an LG Alpha 7 base OLED), I guess this must be Dolby's fault. Could it be the DolbyVision IQ update? (Power Saving was set to Off and the room was dim, not fully dark.)

[....]
To be honest, I never cared to check these on my C9 (not with early, not with new, post-DolbyIQ firmware). I just used the iTPG on that one, never touched the HDFury and just expected everything to work since I can't do anything about the closed Dolby black box anyway...
Hmm. In trying to help work out what's happening I keep coming back to this. You keep repeating this Dolby Vision IQ thing, but that is a feature only available on the 2020 models. There was one single marketing-based claim that the 2019 models have something "very similar to Dolby Vision IQ (but just not actually called Dolby Vision IQ)", however that's been disputed quite hotly on the owner's thread. Either way - that's only on the 2019 C9.

I've never seem a claim that the 2018 models have either the real Dolby Vision IQ or anything like it, in any Dolby Vision mode. Do you perhaps have a reference for that, please, if you believe otherwise? Perhaps starting with the LG release notes for their firmware which would surely mention it. AFAIK LG's "AI Brightness" suite of features - of which Dolby Vision IQ is part, for 2020 models - is definitely only available on the 2019-on models.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hmm. In trying to help work out what's happening I keep coming back to this. You keep repeating this Dolby Vision IQ thing, but that is a feature only available on the 2020 models. There was one single marketing-based claim that the 2019 models have something "very similar to Dolby Vision IQ (but just not actually called Dolby Vision IQ)", however that's been disputed quite hotly on the owner's thread. Either way - that's only on the 2019 C9.

I've never seem a claim that the 2018 models have either the real Dolby Vision IQ or anything like it, in any Dolby Vision mode. Do you perhaps have a reference for that, please, if you believe otherwise? Perhaps starting with the LG release notes for their firmware which would surely mention it. AFAIK LG's "AI Brightness" suite of features - of which Dolby Vision IQ is part, for 2020 models - is definitely only available on the 2019-on models.
Well, don't overthink it. I am just trying to come up with random ideas. Since I read about that DV IQ stuff, I figured LG might updated the Dolby Vision software/firmware blob in the system firmware packages of all the supported (still regularly updated) TV models (which support DV and "as is" received from Dolby). So it might not be DV IQ at work but a DV update in general.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Ok, it's an interesting (very random!) idea but they haven't changed that no. (I'm not overthinking anything - I wrote that, and asked those questions, only because you said "the Dolby Vision IQ" update, implying that there had been one :) ).

I know that the "Dolby_vision" module - visible on the "About this TV" menu - has been version "1.5.0_17.00" ever since firmware v4.10.05 (Sep 2018). It wasn't even mentioned in LG's release notes, so whatever the changes were in that Dolby module they were internal to Dolby. Before that firmware, it was 1.5.0_16.00 from the time I had the TV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all, please let me know if this isnt the right thread for this question but I think it is. I have a C8 and just ordered an x-rite i1 Display Pro Plus to calibrate my computer monitor. I read some about the CALMAN autocal for the 2018 OLEDs and was surprised to see that my x-rite is supported. I have just been using the standard rtings suggestions but figure since Ive got the colorimeter I might as well use it. I know that I need to buy the CALMAN Home for LG software and that I can use my FireStick 4k for pattern generation for SDR. Is HDR / DV calibration completely off the table since I dont have the 2019 with the internal generator? If so, I may forego using Autocal since it probably isnt worth it for me to just calibrate SDR. Skipping around this thread and several others it seems that there are some pitfalls / tips/ etc that would be nice to know before going down the rabbit hole. Is there anything major I need to know before hand if I decide to purchase Autocal?

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Hi all, please let me know if this isnt the right thread for this question but I think it is. I have a C8 and just ordered an x-rite i1 Display Pro Plus to calibrate my computer monitor. I read some about the CALMAN autocal for the 2018 OLEDs and was surprised to see that my x-rite is supported. I have just been using the standard rtings suggestions but figure since Ive got the colorimeter I might as well use it. I know that I need to buy the CALMAN Home for LG software and that I can use my FireStick 4k for pattern generation for SDR. Is HDR / DV calibration completely off the table since I dont have the 2019 with the internal generator? If so, I may forego using Autocal since it probably isnt worth it for me to just calibrate SDR. Skipping around this thread and several others it seems that there are some pitfalls / tips/ etc that would be nice to know before going down the rabbit hole. Is there anything major I need to know before hand if I decide to purchase Autocal?
Lots, honestly. You should continue browsing this thread as well as the one on low-cost pattern generators (that FireStick 4K may not be acceptable).

3741 - 3759 of 3759 Posts