AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 3759 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
So finally got my c8 and have been breaking it in. Trying to accomplish an sdr autocal with mobile forge off of a fire stick. The initial run does amazing. Good reads below .8. But then when it comes back through with the rolling measurements it gets all out of whack? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
^^^With all the autocals i've tried, i haven't seen this. If you re-run it, do you get the same result? If so, I think there is a check box in the pull down menu when you start autocal to turn off the rolling cal.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
So finally got my c8 and have been breaking it in. Trying to accomplish an sdr autocal with mobile forge off of a fire stick. The initial run does amazing. Good reads below .8. But then when it comes back through with the rolling measurements it gets all out of whack? Thoughts?

What pattern size are you running? What is your pattern insertion set to?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
^^^With all the autocals i've tried, i haven't seen this. If you re-run it, do you get the same result? If so, I think there is a check box in the pull down menu when you start autocal to turn off the rolling cal.

Yea, I’ve re-run it a couple times and same results. I don’t remember seeing a box to disable the rolling cal, but I did manually stop it earlier and that seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Yea, I’ve re-run it a couple times and same results. I don’t remember seeing a box to disable the rolling cal, but I did manually stop it earlier and that seemed to do the trick.

Try 20% on the pattern insertion.

I think LG might have tweaked their dimming algorithm. If that fixes it I will need to update the instructions in the workflow.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
I was a little busy today and just noticed that you are calibrating SDR so first, you should be using an 18% window for the patches. 10% should work but maybe that is causing a problem because the panel will heat up faster with the smaller window. Also make sure that the delay on the Mobile Forge is at least 0.5 seconds. I haven't used Mobile Forge in a long time so i don't remember all the settings. It kind of looks like the C6 maybe misreading some patches. When i had a problem with my Murideo going out of sync with the TV, i experienced a similar problem. You may want to extend the delay slightly to see if that makes a difference.

Also what luminance are you calibrating to?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I was a little busy today and just noticed that you are calibrating SDR so first, you should be using an 18% window for the patches. 10% should work but maybe that is causing a problem because the panel will heat up faster with the smaller window. Also make sure that the delay on the Mobile Forge is at least 0.5 seconds. I haven't used Mobile Forge in a long time so i don't remember all the settings. It kind of looks like the C6 maybe misreading some patches. When i had a problem with my Murideo going out of sync with the TV, i experienced a similar problem. You may want to extend the delay slightly to see if that makes a difference.

Also what luminance are you calibrating to?

120-130. I’ll extend the delay too and increase the patch size. As I said it’s weird, because initial sweep goes just fine, but the. Rolling cal suddenly muddies the water. I’ll report back if all the tips work out

Here’s the initial scan for a 42pt 1dlut. (Or at least nearing complete). This is with larger patch size and increase in the delay

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Again, it could be that the panel is heating up and that's when you will see the problem, on the second round of scans.:)

Reactions: Wjboshart

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
120-130. I’ll extend the delay too and increase the patch size. As I said it’s weird, because initial sweep goes just fine, but the. Rolling cal suddenly muddies the water. I’ll report back if all the tips work out

Did you try 20% pattern insertion, while 10% area patterns?

The dimming algorithm that the pattern insertion is trying to defeat is based on APL.

·
Registered
98 Posts
LG should definitly implement suspending of its dimming algorithm when switched to calibration mode.

·
Registered
112 Posts

That's exactly what I was sseing when I tried to calibrate my C8 with autocal. Havent tried it the last days because my meter is loaned to a friend. But I will recheck asap.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was a little busy today and just noticed that you are calibrating SDR so first, you should be using an 18% window for the patches.
Do you use the 18% for HDR also?

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
You know now that I’m looking at all these posts I forgot to mention that both Dnice and I always go into the service menu and turn off ASBL when we calibrate the Lg. I forgot because i do it automatically when calibrating the LG especially in a bright PM. Item #13 . The service remote is cheap and it helps to turn ABSL off for manual and auto calibration especially for HDR and DV. If you think you are having a problem with SDR wait until you try to calibrate the native panel for DV.

Reactions: WiFi-Spy

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You know now that I’m looking at all these posts I forgot to mention that both Dnice and I always go into the service menu and turn off ASBL when we calibrate the Lg. I forgot because i do it automatically when calibrating the LG especially in a bright PM. Item #13 . The service remote is cheap and it helps to turn ABSL off for manual and auto calibration especially for HDR and DV. If you think you are having a problem with SDR wait until you try to calibrate the native panel for DV.

You can buy the remote on Amazon for $12

·
Registered
930 Posts
One can add it as device on a Logitech controller. Even if you don't have one like an elite controller, but you can have your ipad/phone control your base station and act as the LG service remote.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I’m assuming this is a side effect of having a c6 compared to a Klein, but when I did the lightning 3d lut everything measured fine, but then when it came to actual content there was real bad posterization. Unless there’s some other issue that I’m not addressing with the 3dlut. I’m calibrating below 150 nits so to my understanding asbl isn’t kicking in. But I did order a service remote to disable that in the future tampering. Matrix reading is getting the job done and yet still comparable to lightning results, just without posterization in actual content.

*update, got an overnight service remote delivered and re-ran lightning lut with asbl turned off. 3dlut tracked similar to before but this time without the posterization.

Not sure when I plan on working with hdr/dv. Both look relatively strong ootb

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Tyler. I don't know if this is related or not but I just went in and tried to Auto Cal my HDR (only did SDR and DV last night) and everything was running good until the 15% square came up and it the background all of a sudden was blue which of course dramatically skewed the readings. Ended up turning all picture to a blue tint...have you seen this before?? I attached the pictures for reference.
Hi,

were you able to resolve this Problem? I tried HDR10 Autocal with the i1Display pro and the Videoforge HDMI / HDFury Linker today for the first time and ran into exactly the same issue. Autocal fails due to odd blueish patterns. This whole Autocal thing seems to be a very sensitive case, at least for the beginner... Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Robert

·
Registered
80 Posts
One can add it as device on a Logitech controller. Even if you don't have one like an elite controller, but you can have your ipad/phone control your base station and act as the LG service remote.
So I got into the service menu -- now which setting controls the ABSL?

361 - 380 of 3759 Posts