AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 3806 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Flatpanels just posted their review, HDR game mode makes me worried. Can you adjust this to acceptable without calibration? Or is it too bad? HDR modes seem to look bad but SDR is good.

If these results are typical for LG then it's a bummer since I have no access to calibrators at my location. Thanks in advance! I tried to search in this thread but didn't show settings for SDR and HDR Game modes.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Flatpanels just posted their review, HDR game mode makes me worried. Can you adjust this to acceptable without calibration? Or is it too bad? HDR modes seem to look bad but SDR is good.

If these results are typical for LG then it's a bummer since I have no access to calibrators at my location. Thanks in advance! I tried to search in this thread but didn't show settings for SDR and HDR Game modes.
Check the owner's thread for your model in the "Flat Panels" area...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I did a new SDR run but this time I optimised my meter read settings and I also used SMTP 16-235instead of 16-255 like I used the first time.

The run took around 40 mins instead of 1h 30.
The results are pretty fine the only thing I consider is that on my verification scans I can see a high pump at 15 IRE and dE of 1,30 at the exact same point I had the last time also the same results but only at this point maybe Spectracal gives that a check.

I also added a scan of the 90 ish IRE the spoke at the gamma log/log chart is nothing to worry about I easily aimed the Y target pretty well.

Unfortunately I couldn't run a HDR calibration because my ****ty Integral isn't working again I posted that in the other thread already maybe someone can help me over there.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I picked up a videoforge pro and utilizing that with my regular c6 meter I was able to successfully calibrate sdr, hdr, and dv without any major issues. I did run in to the issue with hdr where on verification scans, the target points shifted which then made everything look like massive errors but I reran the scan and it corrected. My colors with hdr running just the matrix lut that was recommended on the flowchart didn’t come out as expected, and most colors weren’t tracking correctly. Make take another stab later, is there an issue doing a lightning lut with hdr? Or because of the number of reads does it cause readings to drift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
Your scans look fine. I'm getting similar results. The frustrating part is although the curves are not perfectly flat, the PQ is actually better than when I do the calibration manually. Do you see that?

Also on the HDR, you can do the lightening LUT, it works fine but sometimes the panel heats up so i use the matrix and it's sufficient. Since the matrix executes so fast, i'm not sure why you are having a problem so i would re-run it.

At the end of the day it's looking like you really need a pattern generator like a Videoforge or a Murideo to do a repearable calibration quickly and reliably for all of the PMs and a fast meter also helps.

I understand why the K10A is so expensive but i'm not sure why the pattern generators are so expensive. Maybe because there are so few built overall.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Your scans look fine. I'm getting similar results. The frustrating part is although the curves are not perfectly flat, the PQ is actually better than when I do the calibration manually. Do you see that?

I can confirm that the PQ looks really good and natural after the AutoCal.

The HDR Mode will follow tonight.

Reactions: L30Z3N and jrref

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Also i spoke with Tyler and i'm convinced from the conversation that Portrait understands the absolute need for an autocal backup so i'm pretty certain we will eventually get it.:)

I really hope that a reliable Autocal will be the next evolution in calibration and be supported by some of the other premium manufacturers in going forward.

Reactions: BlackJoker

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sounds good John hope that they will release something in the near future.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I picked up a videoforge pro and utilizing that with my regular c6 meter I was able to successfully calibrate sdr, hdr, and dv without any major issues. I did run in to the issue with hdr where on verification scans, the target points shifted which then made everything look like massive errors but I reran the scan and it corrected. My colors with hdr running just the matrix lut that was recommended on the flowchart didn’t come out as expected, and most colors weren’t tracking correctly. Make take another stab later, is there an issue doing a lightning lut with hdr? Or because of the number of reads does it cause readings to drift?

Did you disable ASBL?

side note, did you update the firmware on the VFP? the latest is 1.04. You might be up to date. You can check on the top right hand part of the screen. it should be 1.0x.
http://files.spectracal.com/download.php?id=80

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If there was a way for me to safely rent out my videoforge pro to help out other calibrators on here I would. I agree with others, it’s silly how expensive these things are. But I am getting betters results with it than running either through mobile forge off a fire stick or using the built in pattern generator with a fury.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,

I received my service remote today and can get into the in start menu. Which switch do I have to alter in order to disable ASBL?

Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi,

I received my service remote today and can get into the in start menu. Which switch do I have to alter in order to disable ASBL?

Thanks, Robert

Point 13 OLED -> TPC "off"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Curious to see if anyone has successfully calibrated hdr and/or dv with the 40 point calibration? I know it recommends 26, but curious if 40 is significantly better.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
I've tried it and no better than the 26 pt because the screen heats up too much.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've tried it and no better than the 26 pt because the screen heats up too much.

John do you use 10% for HDR as recommended? With 18% the peak output starts to drop significantly

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
I only use 10% window for HDR and DV

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just received my B7A. There are a lot of calibration settings going around. I have currently inputted rtings calibration. Not bad but a bit too dim for my take. I feel like their OLED light is too low at 17.

Can someone link me to recommended calibrations for someone who watches:

- Films/TV Shows
- Gaming with Xbox One X and PS4 Pro
- Sports

Thank you would be really apprecaited!

481 - 500 of 3806 Posts