AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 3793 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
I just received my B7A. There are a lot of calibration settings going around. I have currently inputted rtings calibration. Not bad but a bit too dim for my take. I feel like their OLED light is too low at 17.

Can someone link me to recommended calibrations for someone who watches:

- Films/TV Shows
- Gaming with Xbox One X and PS4 Pro
- Sports

Thank you would be really apprecaited!
This thread is for the 2018 models. (B7A is 2017) Also my guess is the suggestion for people that are watching this thread would be to hire a calibrator or buy the equipment to calibrate it yourself.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here are some Calman scans of a 65 C8 i manually calibrated recently. You can see in the HDR scans, the set does a much better job of tracking P3 and the Red Magenta problem in the CMS is fixed. It may be my imagination but it seems like the user calibration controls on the 2018s are a little "finer" than in previous years allowing for more control.

For HDR all i did was adjust the 2pt and left Dynamic Tone Mapping OFF.
Hey John, quick question about your HDR Cinema code values. How did you calculate your levels editor? Mine don’t match up under the 20 pt. My values start 383, 464, 541, etc...

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #504
You need to be on the latest firmware release.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I’m on firmware 3.00.62. Isn’t that the latest one? It says no updates found when I check.

He means the latest CalMAN 5.9.0 Final

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
So I’m having issues with hdr10...and this stemmed from when I was trying to calibrate it the other day...when I went to start autocal it took an intitial reading of a grey screen, which then lifted the black level. All slides after that (in hdr10) are a white against grey similar to an apl slide. My 0% Black is now like a 5% grey. I’ve done a factory reset and everything and it’s not changing. Plus I’m getting the weird blue issues people were having too once it gets down to the 15% ire...I didn’t have this the first time I tried running autocal

Fixed my issue...partially...I had to open ddc controls and set 1.4 value as absolute black. Once autocal started it reconfigured 1.4 values.

Also fixed the issue with the weird blue slides as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
Are you manually setting black to 0 in the calman advanced options vs letting it use what it reads?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Are you manually setting black to 0 in the calman advanced options vs letting it use what it reads?

I have tried it both ways. The signal calman was sending my video forge pro was not using 0 as the correct black level. And when I tried manually setting black level to 0 in advanced settings I continually got the blue screen issue once it got down to 15 ire. Plus it was disregarding the frame insertion pattern. I was actually seeing the area outside of the 10% window to darken as it worked down the workflow. As I said, the fix that worked for me was using ddc to zero out the 1.4 reading.

*it worked the first time I tried that method. I tried to revisit my hdr calibration because colors were still being skewed and same thing occurred. Feel like I may have to do a factory reset on the tv again and then zero out the 1.4 setting to get black back to being black

·
Registered
27 Posts
He means the latest CalMAN 5.9.0 Final
Well, I am using the updated version of Calman: 5.9.60 I believe. Are you saying that if you are not running the latest Calman software, this will alter the code values under the 20pt in the LG settings? That is where I am having the issue. I can use the levels editor to custom make the greyscale slides values in Calman, but my problem is that my 20pt code values under the LG settings are different than what was listed. My first number is 383 and not 276 (or 272) like it has been said in other posts. Just curious why that would be?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Well, I am using the updated version of Calman: 5.9.60 I believe. Are you saying that if you are not running the latest Calman software, this will alter the code values under the 20pt in the LG settings? That is where I am having the issue. I can use the levels editor to custom make the greyscale slides values in Calman, but my problem is that my 20pt code values under the LG settings are different than what was listed. My first number is 383 and not 276 (or 272) like it has been said in other posts. Just curious why that would be?

Some people would tell you regardless of the values posted, just to do a 2pt calibration with hdr as it tracks pretty well

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have tried it both ways. The signal calman was sending my video forge pro was not using 0 as the correct black level. And when I tried manually setting black level to 0 in advanced settings I continually got the blue screen issue once it got down to 15 ire. Plus it was disregarding the frame insertion pattern. I was actually seeing the area outside of the 10% window to darken as it worked down the workflow. As I said, the fix that worked for me was using ddc to zero out the 1.4 reading.

*it worked the first time I tried that method. I tried to revisit my hdr calibration because colors were still being skewed and same thing occurred. Feel like I may have to do a factory reset on the tv again and then zero out the 1.4 setting to get black back to being black

That's pretty interesting because even in SDR Mode CalMAN is doing weird things. Myself and some of my friends have problems with 15 IRE. It's the only point during my verification scans which is at 1.3 dE all other < 0.3 dE

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
That's pretty interesting because even in SDR Mode CalMAN is doing weird things. Myself and some of my friends have problems with 15 IRE. It's the only point during my verification scans which is at 1.3 dE all other < 0.3 dE

I was having issues when I was using my laptop as the pattern generator, but have fewer issues with the video forge pro. With the video forge I’m only having issues with hdr10

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
Which meter are you using?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone here tried to Autocal Dolby Vision with the internal pattern gen + Integral? I am running into serious issues regarding timing interplay of pattern insertion / pattern delay / meter readings / DDC changes. I was able to calibrate SDR and HDR10, but now DV causes troubles again.:confused:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #518

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Has anyone here tried to Autocal Dolby Vision with the internal pattern gen + Integral? I am running into serious issues regarding timing interplay of pattern insertion / pattern delay / meter readings / DDC changes. I was able to calibrate SDR and HDR10, but now DV causes troubles again.:confused:

LG found a bug and will be releasing a firmware update in the next week or so. P.m. me and I can share the firmware with you right now.

·
Registered
600 Posts
That should be fine so I would e-mail your results to Spectracal support and see what they have to say.

@WiFi-Spy to which address I can send my results? I want to give you guys the opportunity to solve the problem.

501 - 520 of 3793 Posts