AVS Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 3759 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
The “CalMAN for Bravia” app is just the communication layer for CalMAN to talk to. You still will need CalMAN.
Offcourse i will need Calman and i never said the opposite but with this bravia app calman will be able to sent patterns to tv including hdr or dv? That's the crucial thing here.
If this if's true you understand how many licences you will sell?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Offcourse i will need Calman and i never said the opposite but with this bravia app calman will be able to sent patterns to tv including hdr or dv? That's the crucial thing here.
If this if's true you understand how many licences you will sell?

Honestly I don't know why they should sell more licenses? I think you read a bit of this thread and as you can see it's not that easy to achieve prober results. Even with AutoCal you have to know what you are doing there with you're equipment. I know many people think they just push a button and after a few reads they have reference picture quality but that's not reality. And for my understanding the app is just the API for the communication between the tv and CalMAN nothing more maybe Tyler can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Honestly I don't know why they should sell more licenses? I think you read a bit of this thread and as you can see it's not that easy to achieve prober results. Even with AutoCal you have to know what you are doing there with you're equipment. I know many people think they just push a button and after a few reads they have reference picture quality but that's not reality. And for my understanding the app is just the API for the communication between the tv and CalMAN nothing more maybe Tyler can correct me if I'm wrong.
I think he meant that there's no need for an expensive DV/HDR pattern generator.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think he meant that there's no need for an expensive DV/HDR pattern generator.

I understand him but like I said I don't think that's the case. I just want to share my general thoughts with my previous post.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Patrik Gårdewall on his youtube channel (mainly videos about kuro) explained to a user comment that he could reach the same kuro punchy highlights by rising his B7 contrast. His set was previously calibrated with contrast at 85 and he noted that wasn't punchy as his kuro is. So i gave it a try with mine and comparing 2 picture mode calibrated one at 85 and one at 95 was pretty evident the difference (both at 140 nits). And I didn't notice any downside in clipping or CMS.

It absolutely clips the highlights. Contrast at 100 clips everything above 235. Contrast 85 makes all code values visible to 255 (The proper way like a mastering monitor does)

·
Registered
629 Posts
It absolutely clips the highlights. Contrast at 100 clips everything above 235. Contrast 85 makes all code values visible to 255 (The proper way like a mastering monitor does)
Clips above 95. Below 96 is ok. At least on my set.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
LG only requested it be used for HDR. There is no reason it doesn’t work for SDR (I personally use it) but be aware that if your charts are still set to de2000 You’ll probably see larger errors near white. But if you switch all your charts to DEICTCP , you will not see that error.

We plan on switching a lot of the workflows in the future to this, but we need to do proper education first so people understand what they are looking at.
Excellent, thank-you for the very clear answer. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I see bundles on Calmans website. There’s a bundle too with C6 R. Wondering about refurbished C6. Any downsides? Though, that’s a huge price drop in price vs a new one.
I bought the bundle with the refurbished C6. Seems to be working for me so far - I'm like you and just getting started but SDR calibration went fine after getting a lot of help from folks here :)

Still working on HDR10 and Dolby Vision will probably be a whole different project.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've been playing with HDR10 Autocal using an HDFury Vertex and the RPI PGenerator

I'm curious what kind of results I should expect?

When I run the 1D Lut for grayscale calibration - the results look good, but when I calibrate the 3D Lut (I've tried both Lightning Lut and Matrix Lut) - the results are not great afterwards with the Colorchecker. Reds in particular seem way off.

I've tried watching some content (Planet Earth II as an example), and it looks pretty good and not significantly different than HDR10 Technicolor Expert. I ran a colorchecker on Technicolor Expert too (which has not been calibrated or touched) and the results were similar with reds being way off.

I attached a 3DLut example - in this case, I ran a 3x3 Matrix Lut just for time's sake (been playing with settings and constantly running autocal calibrations all day)

Here are my results:

I'm not sure if there are any settings I need to change? With the HDFury Vertex, I am using a custom HDR IF with SMPTE ST 2084 for EOTF, DCI P3 for the Primaries, D65 White Point, 1000 Max Luminance, 0.005 Min Lum, MaxCLL 1000, MaxFALL 400. My Custom AVI Infoframe is: 82:02:0d:ae:00:e8:64:10:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

The RPI Pgenerator is outputting 1080p60 RGB 8bit (148Mhz) per the HDFury Vertex, and the HDFury Vertex is outputting 1080p60 RGB BT2020 12bit (223Mhz)

I've also tried it simply as 1080p60 RGB 8bit as the output and had similar results.

I've tried the RPI Pgenerator with a 10% window and an 8% window with a 25 APL- the 8%/25APL seems to provide a better grayscale though (in the above screenshots it is from an 8% window with 25 APL).

If anyone has suggestions on things I should try to make the results better I'm all ears!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I've been playing with HDR10 Autocal using an HDFury Vertex and the RPI PGenerator

I'm curious what kind of results I should expect?

When I run the 1D Lut for grayscale calibration - the results look good, but when I calibrate the 3D Lut (I've tried both Lightning Lut and Matrix Lut) - the results are not great afterwards with the Colorchecker. Reds in particular seem way off.

I've tried watching some content (Planet Earth II as an example), and it looks pretty good and not significantly different than HDR10 Technicolor Expert. I ran a colorchecker on Technicolor Expert too (which has not been calibrated or touched) and the results were similar with reds being way off.

I attached a 3DLut example - in this case, I ran a 3x3 Matrix Lut just for time's sake (been playing with settings and constantly running autocal calibrations all day)

Here are my results:

I'm not sure if there are any settings I need to change? With the HDFury Vertex, I am using a custom HDR IF with SMPTE ST 2084 for EOTF, DCI P3 for the Primaries, D65 White Point, 1000 Max Luminance, 0.005 Min Lum, MaxCLL 1000, MaxFALL 400. My Custom AVI Infoframe is: 82:02:0d:ae:00:e8:64:10:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

The RPI Pgenerator is outputting 1080p60 RGB 8bit (148Mhz) per the HDFury Vertex, and the HDFury Vertex is outputting 1080p60 RGB BT2020 12bit (223Mhz)

I've also tried it simply as 1080p60 RGB 8bit as the output and had similar results.

I've tried the RPI Pgenerator with a 10% window and an 8% window with a 25 APL- the 8%/25APL seems to provide a better grayscale though (in the above screenshots it is from an 8% window with 25 APL).

If anyone has suggestions on things I should try to make the results better I'm all ears!
There probably isn't that much you can do. Remember that WOLEDs fire up that extra White subpixel as luminance climbs into HDR territory. This more or less "dilutes" R, G, and B, as well as leaving them behind, meaning they'll never be able to hit their HDR targets. Best just to be happy getting a good gray scale.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
There probably isn't that much you can do. Remember that WOLEDs fire up that extra White subpixel as luminance climbs into HDR territory. This more or less "dilutes" R, G, and B, as well as leaving them behind, meaning they'll never be able to hit their HDR targets. Best just to be happy getting a good gray scale.
Yep. Teddd has linked a few times to his pictures showing this with 3d dE lines.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,775 (Edited)
This is what it's supposed to look like after manually doing a HDR 2PT.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
is there a cheaper HDR pattern generator than Murideo and Videoforge pro for LG Oled autocal?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,777
No, just some options mentioned in some of the above threads.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
@WiFi-Spy:

Tyler,

(not sure if this has been mentioned before) could u clarify, which scalar does CM use for the dE ICtCp values ?

·
Registered
629 Posts
You shouldn`t only check white channel,have a look at WRGBCMY you have test patterns with those on Ted`s disc
I did and those are ok

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks. I have just found this thread because my friend bought a LG C8 and I want to help with calibration. I use a prjector myself. I noticed above that you can use hdfury and some Rpi generator. I do have a hdfury vertex / calman enthusiast so I can try this solution. Is there a step by step manual for newbies somewhere?

1761 - 1780 of 3759 Posts