AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 Pioneer VSX-933 7.2ch new generation AV Receiver

Pioneer VSX-933 replaces the 2017 model VSX-932.

VSX-933 has resolved the 2 major letdowns of the VSX-932 2017 model:
- low count of HDMI inputs (4)
- no Zone 2

Differences from VSX-932:

- a little more power +5W (130 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1.0 %, 1ch Driven vs 135 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1.0 %, 1ch Driven;

- 2 extra HDMI Inputs (HDMI 4 In (4 Assignable) vs (HDMI 6 In (4 Assignable))

- 1 extra AV (Composite) 2 In (Assignable)

- ZONE 2 Pre/Line Out

- Speaker 9 ch Out (FRONT, CENTER, SURROUND, SURROUND BACK/HEIGHT/Bi-AMP, ZONE 2) but there are still only 7 amps - AVR switches between SURROUND BACK/HEIGHT/Bi-AMP and ZONE 2 posts;

- 30Watt less power consumption (Power Consumption/Standby: 480 W/0.15 W vs Power Consumption/Standby: 450 W/0.15 W)

- larger chassis (Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 173 x 320.5 mm vs Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 173 x 370.5 mm)

Notes:
- no eARC or other HDMI 2.1 features implemented or anounced!!!

Website: http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/def/products/vsx-933

Datasheet: http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/sites/default/files/datasheets/english/VSX-933.pdf

https://hometheaterreview.com/new-vsx-933-av-receiver-from-pioneer/

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for you for this thread OP. ATM I can get the 932 for much cheaper than the 933 and so I did. I hope that was the right move.

PS: sorry for digging up an old thread.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thank you for you for this thread OP. ATM I can get the 932 for much cheaper than the 933 and so I did. I hope that was the right move.

PS: sorry for digging up an old thread.
How do you like the receiver so far?
I am looking at the 932 as a replacement for my old receiver.

·
Registered
398 Posts
This thread doesnt get alot of traffic.
Are people avoiding this receiver altogether?

Btw what is Pioneer commitment to firmware updates? 1 year? 2 years?

Also is Mcacc better than Onkyos AccuEq? I see that Mcacc does not allow individual speakers crossover settings while the Onkyo does. Not sure how important this is.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Joe I think I responded to you in another thread? However I am glad I found this one because after looking at it closely, the 686 actually now has the advanced version of accueq. Also, if you look in the 676 forum there are lots of issues with the 676 and arc and input switching randomly.

Keep us posted since I too am looking at the x1400, vsx-933, lx103 or 686 for the kids gaming area.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I got the 933 and have it set up and have been playing with it for the last couple hours.

ARC unfortunately doesnt seem to work with my Hisense tv. For some reason either the TV locks up or the sound is directed to the tv speakers even if the source is from something else like the cable DVR.
So I disabled it.

I ran MCACC and I checked the info and it seems pretty accurate for the distances.

But I find that while sound is loud/decent using the NET functions, the sound is quite low coming from my DVR receiver connected via HDMI.
Is there a way to boos the sound level just for that input without messing up MCACC?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got the 933 and have it set up and have been playing with it for the last couple hours.

ARC unfortunately doesnt seem to work with my Hisense tv. For some reason either the TV locks up or the sound is directed to the tv speakers even if the source is from something else like the cable DVR.
So I disabled it.

I ran MCACC and I checked the info and it seems pretty accurate for the distances.

But I find that while sound is loud/decent using the NET functions, the sound is quite low coming from my DVR receiver connected via HDMI.
Is there a way to boos the sound level just for that input without messing up MCACC?
Hello, Check for a new update for VSX-933 01/04/2019 1030-6000-1040-0010!
I have just applied the following equalizer settings manually on VSX-933, search on youtube the following Pioneer AV-R EQ Equalizer Einstellungen Heimkino / AV Receiver Series SC / LX / VSX :cool:
First run calibration MCACC Speaker and only then adjust the equalizer settings manually.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello, Check for a new update for VSX-933 01/04/2019 1030-6000-1040-0010!
I have just applied the following equalizer settings manually on VSX-933, search on youtube the following Pioneer AV-R EQ Equalizer Einstellungen Heimkino / AV Receiver Series SC / LX / VSX :cool:
First run calibration MCACC Speaker and only then adjust the equalizer settings manually.
Wow quite a difference in the sound. definitely louder which is good, and i think crisper too but when I compare the two settings before the correction it sounded fuller (albeit duller) so I am undecided which version (on or before eq) is the "real" sound.

What do you think?

Btw I cant change the band 63. Also I take that these settings are to be applied to all speakers right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello

For me it was easy with the settings, i use a 2.1 system, i have configured these settings on both speakers!
First run calibration MCACC Speaker and only then adjust the equalizer settings manually, you can adjust some settings from AV Adjust.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just got this 933.
But when playing spotify connect it disconnects after 2-3 songs.
Anybody else experience this?
Installs the latest firmware version and try using the remote app pioneer application, i use this application on my phone and i have no problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all, I have a VSX-933 and I have a problem to connect my cable box to it. I connect it via HDMI and I can’t have sound pass with the HDMI, I try every 6 hdmi in without success, if the cable box is plugged directly in my tv (Q7F) i have no problem with audio. All other deceive plugged in receiver have sound via HDMI. Other thing when I plug my receiver and do info I see the input audio at Analog but don’t have/found any way to change the input audio at HDMI only Coax or Optical... witch when hooked up with an optical work...

Thanks if you have a clue or point me where to post my question if i’m not at the right place!

·
Registered
736 Posts
So I disabled it.
Make sure your HDMI cables are premium certified cables. Try enabling ARC on TV and receiver, enabling HDMI standby through and disable CEC. Also audio TV out to off.

Always Level match all your different sources with the Input volume absorber before doing any EQ adjustments.

You can also check your DVR receiver and be sure it is set to stereo, Not dolby digital 2.0 or 5.1. This makes the source louder. Your receiver will upgrade the stereo input to 5.1 by setting it to Dolby digital. It will sound the same but be louder. At least this is how my Xfinity DVR operates.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello all, I have a VSX-933 and I have a problem to connect my cable box to it. I connect it via HDMI and I can’t have sound pass with the HDMI, I try every 6 hdmi in without success, if the cable box is plugged directly in my tv (Q7F) i have no problem with audio. All other deceive plugged in receiver have sound via HDMI. Other thing when I plug my receiver and do info I see the input audio at Analog but don’t have/found any way to change the input audio at HDMI only Coax or Optical... witch when hooked up with an optical work...

Thanks if you have a clue or point me where to post my question if i’m not at the right place!
Did you check in the settings input/ouput assign/hdmi?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Make sure your HDMI cables are premium certified cables. Try enabling ARC on TV and receiver, enabling HDMI standby through and disable CEC. Also audio TV out to off.

Always Level match all your different sources with the Input volume absorber before doing any EQ adjustments.

You can also check your DVR receiver and be sure it is set to stereo, Not dolby digital 2.0 or 5.1. This makes the source louder. Your receiver will upgrade the stereo input to 5.1 by setting it to Dolby digital. It will sound the same but be louder. At least this is how my Xfinity DVR operates.
I used the volume absorber to add +5db and also used the equaliser settings shown in a previous message. The receiver is now loud just how I like it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you check in the settings input/ouput assign/hdmi?
Here what I got in the setting.

HDMI Input:
CBL/SAT:HDMI2 (HDCP 2.2) (Since all HDMI are assigned from 1 to 4 I only get "---" and HDMI2 as a choice)
Digital Audio Input:
CBL/SAT: "---" (Only choice is "---", Optical or Coaxial)
Analog Audio Input:
CBL/SAT: "---" (Choice is "---", Audio 1 to 4)

If I plug my Xbox One X in the CBL/SAT HDMI in (HDMI 2) I got image and sound by HDMI with this setting on the Receiver.

I did a Factory reset without success...

I don't know If I miss something somewhere. I can remember if in the first day I plug everything the sound work but the ARC from my TV (launching Netflix on the TV) have like over pass the sound of the CBL Box and now don't work anymore.

On my Cable box I don't have many choice. Dolby, PCM or HDMI Autoselect. And like I said if my cable box is plugged directly in my TV I have the sound via HDMI and return it back to the Receiver with the TV input(output) with an optical cable for the sound... On the TV the sound is set at Bitstream / Dolby and it is recognized by the amp.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts