AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there, I'm interested in getting this receiver but I have a quick question? I'm planning (in the short term at least) on using my Panasonic BluRay to also play CD's. How easy is it to pop a CD in the drive instead of a DVD and switch the sound to regular 2 speaker stereo, and then back again if I go to a DVD? This is a problem at the moment with my (very) old Denon. It's a real PITA to change around and one of the reasons (along with it being over 15 years old) that I'm getting a new one. I've seen some units with a 'scene' function with easy access buttons on the front of the unit, but they're either old 5.1 units without Atmos, or much more expensive ones than I can afford. It doesn't obviously seem to feature on units in my price range.

I would say that you don't even have to press any buttons to do that. I've noticed that while watching TV the AVR will play stereo audio as stereo (or ext. stereo, or what ever u have chosen like Neural:X etc.) and when you watch some movie with 5.1 audio the AVR will automatically switch the the sound mode to whatever surround mode u usually listen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone else noticed this weird relay click after exactly 30 min;

fter more analysis I realised the click was exactly 30 mins after the receiver is turned on. The click occurs even no sources or speakers are connected. The only way to disable it is to change the speaker ohms from 6 to 4 under the configuration menu. The effect of this setting is to drastically cut the power the unit is able to deliver to the speakers. I approached Pioneer's Australian distributor, Power Move, for assistance. Eventually it went back to Pioneer Japan and this is the official response: "Pioneer have confirmed it is part of the design and you can’t disable it. The relay is controlling the main power transformer. When more or less power is required the relay activates and changes the transformer winding which raises or lowers the voltage to the output stage. This design is used across all the pioneer models so swapping to a different product is not going to solve your issue."
Weird that there hasn't been any more of talk about this. I was wondering why my AVR was making a single click always after 30 mins of being on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems to me that its overheating but I wouldnt know the reason for that.
Naah, I don't think it is overheating if it happens every time exactly after 30 min, no matter what you do/listen. So it feels just like it is pre-planned and like the youtube video's desciption quote says:
"Pioneer have confirmed it is part of the design and you can’t disable it. The relay is controlling the main power transformer. When more or less power is required the relay activates and changes the transformer winding which raises or lowers the voltage to the output stage. This design is used across all the pioneer models so swapping to a different product is not going to solve your issue."

Anyway, my vsx-933 does that but my previous vsx-421 did not. So perhaps this applies to newer pioneer avrs.
Does anyone else have this 30 min relay click?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I received the Pioneer VSX-933 on Monday. I ran it through a round of full auto MCACC and it definitely sounded a bit flat compared to my Pioneer VSX-1124 it replaced. MCACC did setup speaker distance and channel levels correctly though. I applied the manual EQ settings from the video below to all channels and the receiver came alive and sounds amazing. It is even a slight upgrade in sound quality from the VSX-1124 paired with my JBL Northridge bookshelf speakers in 5.1. It turns on quickly, switches inputs quickly, and the setup menu is very nice.It also has plenty of amp power for my setup with no distortion. Overall I am a happy camper for $260 and I hope I can get at least 5 years out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9HdnjnJdxQ

Is this video still available anywhere? I clicked the link but it isn’t there.

I’ve got a VSX-933 and have it set up following the full Auto MCACC. I find I still have an issue with dialogue on films being too quiet and action (explosions etc) being too loud. Has anyone got some good advice as to how I can change settings? I keep experimenting with changing the EQ Adjust in the manual MCACC but have never been convinced I’ve nailed it. I know everyone’s set up is different and there isn’t a “magic setting” but any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Also, is there a way of playing the test tones through the speakers WITHOUT running the full Auto MCACC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unfortunately the video was taken down months ago. Basically you just need to apply the EQ settings below to all speakers after AUTO MCACC. :)
Thank you!

Just to confirm, though, because my Manual MCACC looks different to that, I need to go into each individual speaker (Front left, front right, centre, etc) and adjust the settings to match that picture?

Thank you! I’m looking forward to giving it a go!

What about the test tones? Do you know how to trigger those without doing a full Auto MCACC?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thank you!

Just to confirm, though, because my Manual MCACC looks different to that, I need to go into each individual speaker (Front left, front right, centre, etc) and adjust the settings to match that picture?

What about the test tones? Do you know how to trigger those without doing a full Auto MCACC?
That is correct. I'm not sure on the test tones.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thank you!

The only test tone is in the settings - speakers - Level.

Mcacc does equalization but doesn't show the results of it so we have no idea what it looks like.
The settings posted earlier make the speakers sound better than what MCACC comes up with but we have no idea what that means as far the speaker response.
The only way to do is to use external MIC and Analyse software (REW) for that.
I thought about that but a flat mic costs about hundred bucks or more and the sound sounds pretty decent to me so I just leave it as it is.

But yes, Pioneer needs to do better with their MCACC system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Pioneer VSX-933 way too quiet

Hi folks, one of my current receivers (Sony str-dn1030) developed some bad behaviour a while back so I finally caved in and ordered this pioneer after weighing up the options, and having previously enjoyed owning a thx rates vsx amp.

Anyway, imagine my disappointment to find after wiring it all in place where the Sony was, hooking everything up, and running the mcacc auto setup that this receiver (135woc) is incredibly quiet somehow compared to the 100w pc Sony.

I'm actually having to set the volume at approx 50% in order to reasonably hear a TV program or a game, which is absurd it seems, as 50% volume on the theoretically weaker Sony would have likely resulted in rattling Windows.

I've set it up again from scratch, checked out various options that might have affected sound level but to no avail.
The sound quality seems OK when you turn it way up but even at 20% volume it's barely audible, whereas 20% on the Sony would be quite a bit louder than I normally need the audio TV to sound.

The volume on this goes from - 81.5 up to +17, and it's roughly at around - 30 for this, which seems absurd.

I'm hoping someone can maybe point out that I'm just being really dumb, and that I just need to press menu option x or something and it'll then wake up fully and sound full of power like I'm certain it should.

If anyone else owns one, or if anyone can think of things i should try for resolving this I'd be really grateful thanks, otherwise I can see myself having a ton or frustrating time on phone calls to pioneer to establish what wrong and what happens next etc.

Many thanks indeed!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Did you run MCACC?

Try using the EQ settings posted here sometime ago. They improve the sound considerable compared to the flatt mcacc curve.
Also in the settings-Source use the input volume absorber to increase the level. I have mine set to +5 otheriwise I would have to crank the volume considerable. (I am pretty much half death so you might not need to crank it that much)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes I ran the mcacc setup, and the distances and levels looked sensible on it, it did very loud tones through the setup but you can't see what actual volume setting it's doing that at, which would be helpful to know.

I've tried doing it again but it's the same still.

I will try these settings thanks, as I have checked all the amp settings (looking for a magic setting that might say "divide output power by 2" 🤣😭) but not really changed anything yet.

I'll try increasing that setting that you said also thanks to boost it a bit, but that seems like it'd be kind of wrong to need to do that out of the box and that it might just improve it a tiny bit? I'll try anyway, perhaps that's just a foible of this amp that you need to and it solves it, but I've never had a home cinema amp before where you'd need to turn it up anywhere remotely approaching this level just to get fairly modest output.

Will report back though thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK so I increased the volume normalise setting for one of the inputs by 5db, and then applied those eq changes. I approve of those settings as they kind of mimic typical loudness mode eq tweaks as I understand it so they suit what I like.

Definitely is noticeably better now.
I did also try before adjusting it listening to music and cranking it right up. As it got towards 0 it was a fair bit more than I would normally ever go while even listening at higher volumes, and still had another 17 steps remaining.

Will repeat again now that I've adjusted it. Perhaps it does have to full intended power but the curve of how the volume setting adjusts it is different to the other amps I've had? Not sure, but thanks for the suggestions, it's definitely helped.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyway, my vsx-933 does that but my previous vsx-421 did not. So perhaps this applies to newer pioneer avrs.
Does anyone else have this 30 min relay click?

Mine clicks after being on for 30 min, but also at other times. Sometimes when I haven't had it on for hours! I haven't figured out any rhyme or reason yet, but as long as it seems to be working I can live with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The VSX-933 still does not support eARC. The firmware referenced earlier in this thread contained updates for many models, but eARC only applied to the VSX-LX503 (look at the top of the supplemental notes on Pioneer's website). However, the 933 does have HDMI 2.0b ports, meaning that the connections are capable of 18Gbps speeds. Most of that is reserved for passthrough video with only 1-3Mbps reserved for the audio, but using the right HDMI cable (one with ethernet) allows some manufacturers to utilize the unused 100Mbps ethernet connection for eARC. This is enough for uncompressed 7.1 audio and Dolby TrueHD to be passed, since the official eARC specifications only call for 37Mbps.

Pioneer could do this with the 933! I called their support line today to request this in a future firmware. They really have no reason to not include it, except for right now it seems they are only activating eARC on their Elite line -- even though their standard line has several models capable of handling the bandwidth.

Unless I'm missing something and there's something within the system holding back the signal, Pioneer/Onkyo could activate eARC right now on the VSX-933.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi, I have a 933 and I'm upgrading my TV to a LG B9 that has HDMI 2.1. Can the receiver pass-through the free sync and low latency mode from my Xbox One X to the TV?

Enviado do meu Lenovo TB-X605F através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chromecast broken...

Anyone here using the Chromecast capability of the Pioneer VSX933?

I have one, and have never been totally happy with the Chromecast (but it, generally, HAS been getting better, with formware updates), but in the last week or two, has stopped working totally, with a message "It may take a few days to complete the preparation of the server. Please wait until the preparation has been completed" (or similar - See photos of TV and Android App.)

The Chromecast device has totally disappeared off the network, as well, so can't cast to it from anything.

Is anyone else getting this? If you have a VSX933 (or, I assume, something similar with Chromecast...), can you test and let me know if you have the same issue?

Have queried support (in Aus), and they know nothing about it, but have messaged whoever looks after it (Google?? Main Pioneer??), but say it may take weeks/months to get a response... I DON"T think it was a firmware update that killed it - haven't had one for a month or 2?

Any response appreciated.

Thanks, John.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I have a 933 and I'm upgrading my TV to a LG B9 that has HDMI 2.1. Can the receiver pass-through the free sync and low latency mode from my Xbox One X to the TV?

Enviado do meu Lenovo TB-X605F através do Tapatalk
The latency won't be a problem, but the VRR might. You may have to connect directly to your TV for these features.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just chatted with a rep from Pioneer. He confirmed that the connections in the VSX-933 could support eARC, but Pioneer will not be making that available in firmware because that is reserved feature for their elite series.

Make of that what you will.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just chatted with a rep from Pioneer. He confirmed that the connections in the VSX-933 could support eARC, but Pioneer will not be making that available in firmware because that is reserved feature for their elite series.

Make of that what you will.
My 933 is connected to a LG B9, and I can get Atmos via the Netflix App, I know is lossy, but can't get it from Disney+, don't know why.

Via Disney+ the receiver signals DD+ and via Netflix signals DD+Atmos. Any idea why?

Enviado do meu Mi 9T através do Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 121 Posts