AVS Forum banner

3321 - 3331 of 3331 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
How did the 1294 update work out for you? I've heard good things on the Q9Fn forum

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Since I hate this TV now, and it cant look any worse than it does now, ill download and update as soon as I put the kids to bed tonight and let you guys know....

·
Registered
594 Posts
Since I hate this TV now, and it cant look any worse than it does now, ill download and update as soon as I put the kids to bed tonight and let you guys know....
TV doesnt recognize the french firmware as an update, guess its only for the european 2018 QLEDs. I know the korean firmware DOES work on our sets, so i'll keep an eye out for a new firmware there.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
That's incorrect. It showed 1294 before downloading and then after installing, the status update showed 1294.1.

I don't initially notice anything different. The lack of release notes is so lame. The strobing of the various zones is distracting. I am getting a lot of HDCP 2.2 errors when viewing Roku content (The Fox Now app, HBO Now app, etc.) I wish I could go back to the first few firmware releases for this set. Samsung has ruined it and I don't have time to troubleshoot everything for Samsung and Roku. I don't understand how they can screw up HDMI HDCP with every update. Get it right. Set it and don't F it up again. Is that so hard?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Going to install 1294.1.

Versions in 129X.X have been worse than previous ones, shall see how this goes with 1294.1
There were some improvements in 1292.3 but some basics were still broken like dimming in game-mode and HDMI fit-to-screen not working for PC source. Those thing were OK in 1270-1280 firmwares.

I have the European 55" Q8DN. Will report how well 1294.1 works.

EDIT: HDMI scaling (fit to screen) still broken for PC source... after further testing I noticed no difference to the earlier release.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Connections for best sound

What's the best way to get sound with a receiver? All the devices plugged directly into the TV or the receiver?

If my TV is capable of Dolby Digital Plus and it's connected to my receiver that's capable of Dolby Atmos, what are my limitations? If I use an app on the TV vs an app from another device connected to the receiver, what are the limitations? I have all my devices connected directly to the TV and the TV is connected to the receiver via optical. TV is Samsung Q8FN and receiver is Yamaha RX-V685. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What's the best way to get sound with a receiver? All the devices plugged directly into the TV or the receiver?

If my TV is capable of Dolby Digital Plus and it's connected to my receiver that's capable of Dolby Atmos, what are my limitations? If I use an app on the TV vs an app from another device connected to the receiver, what are the limitations? I have all my devices connected directly to the TV and the TV is connected to the receiver via optical. TV is Samsung Q8FN and receiver is Yamaha RX-V685. Thanks everyone.
Receiver needs to be have "ARC" capabilities I think if you are going from TV --> Receiver. Not a expert since Ive never used it this way. I have all devices plugged into my receiver and receiver out to the TV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm getting this TV soon. Should I not connect it to wifi and just use a Roku player? Sounds like all the updated made picture quality worse. If I don't connect the tv to wifi, what "features" would I be losing?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a Samsung sound bar with this TV. Hooked up with Digital Toslink cable. How do I get the sound bar to turn on with the tv? Right now, I have to manually turn on the sound bar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Q8FN - No Multi Channel PCM thru ARC

Sorry if this has been addressed earlier in forum.

Because the Dolby Surround upmixer is so good, I just recently noticed my 2018 Q8FN is sending only stereo signal via HDMI arc to my Anthem MRx 1120 receiver. Seem to remember I was getting multi channel back in 2018. Had AV receiver update 3 months ago, maybe that broke the ARC.
If paying attention, should have tried to fix the ARC issue OR bypass ARC and use Roku or Apple TV to get multi channel. The ARC/CEC is generally working, just passing stereo signal (2.0 pcm) not multi channel (multi pcm) to AV.

Verified on current software version 1274
Under Expert Setting for Sound

HDMI Format - Tried both PCM and Bitstream. Optimal is Bitstream
Digital Output Format - Tried both PCM and Dolby Digital. Digital Plus dimmed, says my device does not support. Optimal is PCM.
Could the dimming of Digital Plus be indicative that TV is having ARC issues forcing a revert to 2 channel stereo?

Running Netflix and Prime from Samsung get PCM 2.0 or Dolby Digital 2.0 as audio source to MRX 1120. Just 2 channel.

To confirm not AV issue, tried Netflix and Prime thru Samsung 4K player (pass bitstream to AVR). Get 5.1 dolby digital plus, not stereo 2 channel.

Have had ARC problems with my LG Oled C9 and Sony str 5000es and just gave up and now use Apple TV. Hoping this is not a repeat.

Any of you had similar experience? Any thing I should try? Could add to my pile of remotes and bypass Smart TV app center and buy another apple TV or Roku to launch apps

Thanks

3321 - 3331 of 3331 Posts