AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 1653 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

Getting my 75nu8000 next week. I will be connecting it to a 4K Apple TV and a Verizon cable box. If I connect both directly to the tv how do 8 get the sound to go to my Bose sound bar? Just use a 3rd hdmi and it will figure it out?

Also which settings for a relatively bright room.

Thanks for your help.

I would confirm that your soundbar is ARC compatible... which I'm sure it is. Use an HDMI cable from the ARC Source on your TV (Source 4 on mine), to the HDMI out on your soundbar, or whichever port says ARC. Then set your TV audio to external speakers, but I think it will maybe do that automatically.

I used the settings posted by the fine gentleman here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2978658-2018-samsung-nu8000-owners-thread-9.html#post56669768

I used those settings as a baseline, then increased the color and backlight a little to suit my room.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I understand what your going through, we want things to work like their supposed to. I finally fixed my 720P issue that was displayed (even though I was running 1080P or 4K content) when I hit the Home Button while watching Directv, Xbox, etc. Now it provides correct resolution (Pic 1). I am not sure what I did to correct it but my picture looks fantastic. I watched the Oklahoma game last night and it appeared to be 4K. This TV is supposed to upscale content to 4K and it now does. I ran a software update and though it said I was up to date I think it did make things better? I also was using the remote and giving verbal commands through Bixby to change the resolution. This also may have helped my issue. I know I didn't provide anything solid with this post but may give some things to try.

Pic 2 (Game Mode Off)
This is running XBOX One X. This shows Game Mode off and HDR active on picture mode.

Pic 3 (Game Mode On)
Shows HDR not active but it is. See next pic.

Pic 4 (XBOX 4K)
My resolution displays 4K when running either Game Mode on or off with HDR active and not active.
Glad you got your 720p issue resolved. I have never gotten that HDR symbol to show up. In the upper right, it just says HDMI UHD COLOR but nothing about HDR. Mind you, I am testing it on my standard PS4, with HDR enabled. Was playing an HDR game (Ni No Kuni 2) and I still don't get the notification. In the PS4's "Sound and Screen" settings, it shows that the TV should recognize the HDR. On the One X I briefly had, I did not test an HDR game, so it would have been interesting to see whether it worked for it. But it should show HDR for my base PS4, because it DOES have HDR.

EDIT: OMG, I'm an idiot. I had no idea you had to go into the game itself and activate HDR....LOL! I thought it was automatic. NOW, it displays HDR in the upper right. Like your #2 pic, the HDR is greyed-out on the picture mode but again, it does display HDR in the upper right. Ironically, I don't see any major improvement...lol!! What do you have your COLOR SPACE setting on while playing an HDR game? Do you change it when you play a game in HDR, since it seems to alter the color/brightness also? I find if I turn COLOR SPACE to AUTO, the game brightens but the colors deepen and the game gets a little darker on NATIVE. Call me crazy but I'm not sure I see a huge difference on HDR vs. it being off. Do you always use it?

Also, is it just me or does the volume of a game go down a little when HDR is activated? Also, when I am in Game Mode just by itself (no HDR activated), the volume of a game goes way up. Does that happen to you in Game Mode too?

Another odd thing about this TV: when loading the game "Ni No Kuni 2", the screen flashes black about 3 times, before it finally settles on the startup screen. Not sure if that is because it's an HDR game and it has to process that? But that never happened on my old Samsung 23" monitor. I think this may be normal but not sure.

One interesting thing/glitch I found is that when I move the PS4 shortcut on my taskbar, the resolution info for it no longer appears. But if I just connect up the PS4 and do *nothing else*, all the resolution info comes up on the upper right when I press the middle home button and it says PLAYSTATION 4 on the upper left. If I move the shortcut, it just says HDMI 1 in the upper left and may or may not give resolution info in the upper right. Doesn't make a difference if I click on the source for resolution info or the home button on the remote...same deal. The key seems to be whether I moved the shortcut or not. So strange. Also, I DISABLED auto firmware updates for the TV and I went back to factory settings, which is 1153, not 1153.1.

Also, in all my testing, I have connected and re-connected the PS4 several times. Strangely, in Game Mode, sometimes the HDMI UHD COLOR setting is full solid and sometimes it's greyed out. I am doing nothing differently. Even when the PS4 is not connected, sometimes the HDMI UHD COLOR setting is completely greyed out for that HDMI input, even if nothing is connected to it. Sometimes you can make it solid green. Very odd.

Also noticed that it will randomly turn on settings I have never activated. Today, I noticed one of the ECO SOLUTIONS settings was turned on, even though I didn't turn it on when I was last on that input.

I think it's safe to say the TV is very buggy. However, the picture is amazing and all inputs look really good. Even regular ole DVD's look as good as 4K on it...I was just stunned. My standard PS4 (not a PRO) looks excellent on it. Oddly, I have a One X connected to it a few days ago (returned it because it was powering off randomly) but a game I played on it looked the same PQ as the standard PS4. Then again, it wasn't a 4K HDR game....just "enhanced".

So, are these issues with the TV enough to get me to return it? Likely not, but I will have to think about it. No technology is perfect, as you hinted at. I mean, I'd rather have the PQ be amazing, than have a perfect UI experience.

What about you...would you return the TV if you were in my situation?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Glad you got your 720p issue resolved. I have never gotten that HDR symbol to show up. In the upper right, it just says HDMI UHD COLOR but nothing about HDR. Mind you, I am testing it on my standard PS4, with HDR enabled. Was playing an HDR game (Ni No Kuni 2) and I still don't get the notification. In the PS4's "Sound and Screen" settings, it shows that the TV should recognize the HDR. On the One X I briefly had, I did not test an HDR game, so it would have been interesting to see whether it worked for it. But it should show HDR for my base PS4, because it DOES have HDR.

EDIT: OMG, I'm an idiot. I had no idea you had to go into the game itself and activate HDR....LOL! I thought it was automatic. NOW, it displays HDR in the upper right. Like your #2 pic, the HDR is greyed-out on the picture mode but again, it does display HDR in the upper right. Ironically, I don't see any major improvement...lol!! What do you have your COLOR SPACE setting on while playing an HDR game? Do you change it when you play a game in HDR, since it seems to alter the color/brightness also? I find if I turn COLOR SPACE to AUTO, the game brightens but the colors deepen and the game gets a little darker on NATIVE. Call me crazy but I'm not sure I see a huge difference on HDR vs. it being off. Do you always use it?

My color space is on auto and I never change it.

Also, is it just me or does the volume of a game go down a little when HDR is activated? Also, when I am in Game Mode just by itself (no HDR activated), the volume of a game goes way up. Does that happen to you in Game Mode too?

I haven't notice any issues with sound. I am running everything through my Yamaha receiver.

Another odd thing about this TV: when loading the game "Ni No Kuni 2", the screen flashes black about 3 times, before it finally settles on the startup screen. Not sure if that is because it's an HDR game and it has to process that? But that never happened on my old Samsung 23" monitor. I think this may be normal but not sure.

This is normal.

One interesting thing/glitch I found is that when I move the PS4 shortcut on my taskbar, the resolution info for it no longer appears. But if I just connect up the PS4 and do *nothing else*, all the resolution info comes up on the upper right when I press the middle home button and it says PLAYSTATION 4 on the upper left. If I move the shortcut, it just says HDMI 1 in the upper left and may or may not give resolution info in the upper right. Doesn't make a difference if I click on the source for resolution info or the home button on the remote...same deal. The key seems to be whether I moved the shortcut or not. So strange. Also, I DISABLED auto firmware updates for the TV and I went back to factory settings, which is 1153, not 1153.1.

I noticed when trying to pull up the resolution I have to go to the source menu and select the source again. Even though it is already selected. This is when the resolution will display when I hit the select button on the remote. You are moving yours but I think all you need to do is select it without out moving it.

Also, in all my testing, I have connected and re-connected the PS4 several times. Strangely, in Game Mode, sometimes the HDMI UHD COLOR setting is full solid and sometimes it's greyed out. I am doing nothing differently. Even when the PS4 is not connected, sometimes the HDMI UHD COLOR setting is completely greyed out for that HDMI input, even if nothing is connected to it. Sometimes you can make it solid green. Very odd.

Also noticed that it will randomly turn on settings I have never activated. Today, I noticed one of the ECO SOLUTIONS settings was turned on, even though I didn't turn it on when I was last on that input.

I think it's safe to say the TV is very buggy. However, the picture is amazing and all inputs look really good. Even regular ole DVD's look as good as 4K on it...I was just stunned. My standard PS4 (not a PRO) looks excellent on it. Oddly, I have a One X connected to it a few days ago (returned it because it was powering off randomly) but a game I played on it looked the same PQ as the standard PS4. Then again, it wasn't a 4K HDR game....just "enhanced".

So, are these issues with the TV enough to get me to return it? Likely not, but I will have to think about it. No technology is perfect, as you hinted at. I mean, I'd rather have the PQ be amazing, than have a perfect UI experience.

Totally Agree!

What about you...would you return the TV if you were in my situation?
I would keep it. Once I accepted that it is a little buggy but still has a fantastic picture I have come to love it. I just have to stop tinkering and just enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Looking for some direction. Currently ready to pull the trigger on a new tv, but can’t decide on which one to go with. I watch lots of sports on Directv HD, along with some movies. Sit 11 feet from the tv in my basement with no natural light present. 900F 75”, QN82Q6FN, nu8000 82”. Love the picture on the Sony, can pick it up at $2800. Really struggling whether I should give up a little in picture quality to go 82” in either the QN82Q6FN ($3000) or the Nu8000 ($2500). The NU8000 is very tempting at that price. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I would go with the 82" without hesitation. An 82" screen has almost a 20% larger viewing area than a 75" screen.
http://tvsizecalculator.com/

I sit about 12' feet away and still wouldn't mind if it were larger. You just have to decide between the 82's.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here's an odd question. If I don't care about 4k or HDR right now. Late model Kuro or nu8000? I'm in this thread because I think the nu8000 is one of the best values out there. Lots of TV without too many bugs for a reasonable price. Looking at this as a few year TV while waiting for new tech. I'd probably buy a 900f if I was going to keep one a while.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I noticed when trying to pull up the resolution I have to go to the source menu and select the source again. Even though it is already selected. This is when the resolution will display when I hit the select button on the remote. You are moving yours but I think all you need to do is select it without out moving it.
Well, it seems whenever I move the shortcut or try to interact with it, for some reason...that's when it stops displaying resolution info. If I just leave the shortcut alone where it was assigned by the TV and just hit the center home button, the resolution info stays. No idea why this is. Then there have been times when I have hooked up my PS4 to the HDMI 1 input and immediately, it loses the resolution info on-screen. No rhyme or reason to it. But the eye test shows that it looks great.

I haven't notice any issues with sound. I am running everything through my Yamaha receiver.
Well, I notice that when you go into Game Mode, the Sound on the taskbar changes to "Game Sound", so I guess that is why I am hearing the amplification in sound. Your receiver may balance things out more, but to me, the change in volume is very noticeable when you go to Game Mode.

I don't remember if I asked this or not, but the new Xbox One X I got was connected to HDMI 2 and randomly, the unit sometimes just wouldn't power on using the controller. Then, there were 3 occasions where it powered on for a few seconds (I saw the startup square logo appear) and then it shut down immediately. I did have the console attached to an APC SurgeArrest surge protector and I have read that this can be an issue...that MS initially recommended that the One X be plugged into a wall outlet. But I have read that others have had this issue (many with Samsung TV's), and some consider it to be an issue with "Instant On" with the One X, or with the ANYNET function on the TV. In any case, when I had the X, the NU8000 often seemed to want to turn it on by itself and even when I turned it off and ended the night by watching Netflix or something, when I next powered on the TV, it went right to the HDMI 2 screen and declared that the XBOX was not powered up.

So, I did return the One X this week due to the power issues, but I am nervous to get another one...after the issues I had this week. Not sure if One X owners here have the console connected to a surge protector or not, or whether they have had the power problems I have had...but would be great to hear their experiences.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Costco currently has the 82" Samsung UN82NU800DFXZA and the 86" LG 86UK7570PUB for the same price (just $20 difference). Not sure if anyone has any experience with both TVs, but I was curious to hear what the community would suggest?

I see that the Samsung supports HDR10+ whereas the LG supports Dolby Vision for HDR. I'm not sure if that should be a consideration. As I understand it, the HDR format wars are still ongoing but it appears that HDR10+ is cheaper to implement versus Dolby Vision and more companies are starting to adopt it:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/28/hdr10-plus-panasonic-samsung-4k-tv
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1536061334
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/08/hdr10-is-coming-to-samsung-and-panasonic-tvs-but-good-luck-finding-content

Would you recommend making a purchasing decision based on support for HDR10+ or Dolby Vision?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
In trying to determine if HDR was working with my Nvdia Shield I noticed my 65NU8000 reports 1920x1080 for both my HTPC and Shield. The HTPC and Shield are both set to [email protected]

I see others on this thread with similar issues. Has anyone contacted Samsung on this problem?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thinking of buying this tv at Costco in the 65 size. I have seen lots of complaints about the ads in the smart hub. Anyone here find it annoying ?

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Thinking of buying this tv at Costco in the 65 size. I have seen lots of complaints about the ads in the smart hub. Anyone here find it annoying ?
Yes, I have been considering the same one for my Dad. I've seen those complaints and there is one poster on a deal site who's been ranting about it. Evidently, there is no way to turn them off but I'm sure someone will correct me here if that is inaccurate, i.e., if there is a workaround.

I would think that if you're using any kind of service for all or for most of the time (Comcast cable, Direct TV satellite, Tivo OTA, etc.), it's a moot point. You won't have much interaction/exposure to the Samsung smart hub side of things.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, I have been considering the same one for my Dad. I've seen those complaints and there is one poster on a deal site who's been ranting about it. Evidently, there is no way to turn them off but I'm sure someone will correct me here if that is inaccurate, i.e., if there is a workaround.

I would think that if you're using any kind of service for all or for most of the time (Comcast cable, Direct TV satellite, Tivo OTA, etc.), it's a moot point. You won't have much interaction/exposure to the Samsung smart hub side of things.
I want to use the Xfinity app on it and move the Roku to my other tv. So far the only official partners are Roku and Samsung. I have a Roku and its decent if I dont subscribe to other tv services.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
I want to use the Xfinity app on it and move the Roku to my other tv. So far the only official partners are Roku and Samsung. I have a Roku and its decent if I dont subscribe to other tv services.
So I'm guessing that you're looking to make a purchase by the end of tomorrow when their current extended warranty deal ends? I'm probably going to sit this one out, mostly because I'm not ready to put time aside to set everything up for my father, and deal with storing his old 50" plasma.

It does seem like this Samsung model would be a solid choice though. It offers a balance of decent price, solid upscaling quality from non-HD sources, decent anti-reflective quality, good motion for sports and overall good general performance (for mostly non-darkened rooms).

·
Registered
73 Posts
In trying to determine if HDR was working with my Nvdia Shield I noticed my 65NU8000 reports 1920x1080 for both my HTPC and Shield. The HTPC and Shield are both set to [email protected]

I see others on this thread with similar issues. Has anyone contacted Samsung on this problem?
I don't have any problems with hdr on my shield, it shows fine when running Netflix or Amazon hdr content, you don't get hdr with the shield when running youtube, I just use the tvs Netflix app
I don't know what ads people are referring too, I bought my sammy from Costco and I don't see any ads

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
I don't know what ads people are referring too, I bought my sammy from Costco and I don't see any ads
The one person I read complaining about it seemed to be upset with advertising promos for available programming. Like a violent type cover photo for some film or tv show which they had no way of shielding from their children.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So I'm guessing that you're looking to make a purchase by the end of tomorrow when their current extended warranty deal ends? I'm probably going to sit this one out, mostly because I'm not ready to put time aside to set everything up for my father, and deal with storing his old 50" plasma.

It does seem like this Samsung model would be a solid choice though. It offers a balance of decent price, solid upscaling quality from non-HD sources, decent anti-reflective quality, good motion for sports and overall good general performance (for mostly non-darkened rooms).

I know the sale price ends tomorrow but does the Square Trade promo as well ?

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
I know the sale price ends tomorrow but does the Square Trade promo as well ?
I'll take this to PM since this is an owners thread and not a deal shoppers thread. :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Kind of a random question but does anyone find gaming on the 65" model of this TV (or big TV's in general) gives you motion sickness? Played a little Bioshock 2 on my PS4 with the 65" NU8000 and had to stop after 10 minutes or so. Doesn't seem an issue with slower FPS games but ones with a lot of fast action?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have any problems with hdr on my shield, it shows fine when running Netflix or Amazon hdr content, you don't get hdr with the shield when running youtube, I just use the tvs Netflix app
If you hit the 4 colored dots button then "INFO" what does the TV report? Now mine is reporting 1024x768 !! The shield is set to [email protected]

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you hit the 4 colored dots button then "INFO" what does the TV report? Now mine is reporting 1024x768 !! The shield is set to [email protected]
On the shield homescreen it states 3840x2160 60p hdmi UHD color, I'm on hdmi 2,and have the shield labeled as a blu-ray player...im using the recommended display settings in the shield display settings/advanced/hdmi settings...which is 3840x2160 59.940hz YUV 420 10bit rec 2020

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Energy Star symbol (brightness control) forced in Standard pic mode w/ 4K viewing

I got curious tonight, when I saw the "Energy Star" symbol suddenly appear next to Standard in the picture mode drop down menu when I put on a 4K show on Netflix. I have nothing at all enabled under ECO SOLUTION for that picture setting. A little research online told me that this is a mandatory AUTOMATIC BRIGHTNESS CONTROL set by Energy Star and apparently you can't turn it off in settings. It is forced on you to control the brightness based on the ambient room lighting...it's forced, apparently. The logo will show up w/ 4K viewing under Standard picture mode when you go to the picture mode drop down menu.

So, basically, if you're watching a 4K show in Standard mode, it will force that brightness control on you and change the brightness based on the ambient light. I see no way to turn it off or get the logo to go away when you're watching 4K. The logo appears even when everything is turned off in ECO SOLUTION. Only when I switch away from watching a 4K show, the Energy Star symbol goes away.

561 - 580 of 1653 Posts