AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 1647 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thinking of buying this tv at Costco in the 65 size. I have seen lots of complaints about the ads in the smart hub. Anyone here find it annoying ?

No issue at all. I never noticed any ads. It shows possible movies to rent but that's it. The smart hub is used very little, only when changing sources. Don't let this prevent you from buying this tv.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I originally didn't see any ads, but I see now where they are, how to get them to show, and how to get rid of them (temporarily)

This morning I was having a look in the apps section, when I exited out I noticed there was a small sponsored ad banner icon in the my hub area.

To get rid of it, go into your notifications and then exit out of it, when you exit out of notifications you should notice the ad has disappeared, it will show back up if you go back into apps, but can be removed in the same manner, this worked for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Viewing angle

I am considering the 65" or 75" version of the NU8000. I am wondering from actual owners, at what angle does the image really begin to degrade? I am asking as I have a couple sitting positions in my family room with angled viewing. It seems that with their reviews, RTINGS.com loves to explain how the viewing angle detrimentally affects the image quality, almost to the point of hyperbole. Hence I am going to the actual TV owners for their opinion. Thanks in advance for your info.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I just ordered the 82" version of nu8000. I kept going back and forth between this and the 75" sony xbr900. I ended up going Sammy due to bigger size, gamer friendly options, and less lag. although sometimes I think what I would be missing with out the full array local dimming feature of the sony. what are your opinions on this? are you pretty happy gaming and watching movies with this set.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I am considering the 65" or 75" version of the NU8000. I am wondering from actual owners, at what angle does the image really begin to degrade? I am asking as I have a couple sitting positions in my family room with angled viewing. It seems that with their reviews, RTINGS.com loves to explain how the viewing angle detrimentally affects the image quality, almost to the point of hyperbole. Hence I am going to the actual TV owners for their opinion. Thanks in advance for your info.
Same question. I used to be one of the plasma guys who railed at LCD owners who minimized this issue as it would drive me nuts because it was so obvious to me, i.e., the loss of contrast and color at angle. I couldn't imagine why it wasn't driving everyone else nuts too.

But I don't know if it's because LCDs have gotten significantly better in this dept or I"m just less sensitive to it now, but I don't see a lot of degradation even at decent angles anymore (decent being even 30-45 degrees). At least when I'm viewing in showrooms. Yet, places like rtings still talk about it being a significant issue for many or most LCDs. Seems pretty darn subtle to me these days. And pretty much a complete non-issue at up to 20 degrees off center.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got curious tonight, when I saw the "Energy Star" symbol suddenly appear next to Standard in the picture mode drop down menu when I put on a 4K show on Netflix. I have nothing at all enabled under ECO SOLUTION for that picture setting. A little research online told me that this is a mandatory AUTOMATIC BRIGHTNESS CONTROL set by Energy Star and apparently you can't turn it off in settings. It is forced on you to control the brightness based on the ambient room lighting...it's forced, apparently. The logo will show up w/ 4K viewing under Standard picture mode when you go to the picture mode drop down menu.

So, basically, if you're watching a 4K show in Standard mode, it will force that brightness control on you and change the brightness based on the ambient light. I see no way to turn it off or get the logo to go away when you're watching 4K. The logo appears even when everything is turned off in ECO SOLUTION. Only when I switch away from watching a 4K show, the Energy Star symbol goes away.
That sucks about the forced brightness control on standard mode.

I have tried all the recommended settings and tweaks, but I always end up back on the dynamic picture mode with some of the overbearing settings turned down. Like backlight, brightness and color.

I’ve never been one to like recommended settings on any of my TVs though so it’s not surprising. I just love this TV! I get the “HDR” small logo on top of my Dynamic picture mode setting under home/quick-settings on anything 4K as well as in the upper right after clicking info, whether it’s Youtube, Amazon, Plex, anything. The picture is amazing. This is with the main HDR setting turned off in picture settings like most recommendations. Which is confusing but whatever. It also always says UHD in the upper right no matter what even on 1080p. I mostly use my Roku Ultra for the 4K stuff but also occasionally use a Fire Stick 4K.

Maybe try the dynamic picture mode as a base point sometime, then turn some of settings down from there so it’s not so overwhelming. It works great for me.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
That sucks about the forced brightness control on standard mode.

I have tried all the recommended settings and tweaks, but I always end up back on the dynamic picture mode with some of the overbearing settings turned down. Like backlight, brightness and color.

I’ve never been one to like recommended settings on any of my TVs though so it’s not surprising. I just love this TV! I get the “HDR” small logo on top of my Dynamic picture mode setting under home/quick-settings on anything 4K as well as in the upper right after clicking info, whether it’s Youtube, Amazon, Plex, anything. The picture is amazing. This is with the main HDR setting turned off in picture settings like most recommendations. Which is confusing but whatever. It also always says UHD in the upper right no matter what even on 1080p. I mostly use my Roku Ultra for the 4K stuff but also occasionally use a Fire Stick 4K.

Maybe try the dynamic picture mode as a base point sometime, then turn some of settings down from there so it’s not so overwhelming. It works great for me.
As far as the forced brightness control in Standard w/4K viewing, I am not 100% certain whether that Energy Star logo is simply a recommendation to turn on automatic brightness control, or an indication that it is on (even though I disabled it). Haven't watched enough content to tell if the TV is adjusting brightness rogue, on its own. Googled this issue and it seems the government is mandating energy restrictions when in 4K and in Standard mode. It's unclear though whether you can disable it fully when in those modes (even if you can do it in the menu).

Here's one article I read about it:
https://hdguru.com/epa-considering-more-stringent-brightness-controls-on-energy-star-tvs/

Yeah, the TV is really buggy as far as the displaying of resolutions. I finally just reset the TV to factory settings and disabled auto firmware updates and it seems to be a little more stable. It is finally displaying the name of the connected input in the upper left (in this case, PS4) and the full resolution in the upper right. It is now displaying when I have HDR coming through. Dynamic surprisingly looks good on the Netflix app, especially for bright scenes. I turned Color Space to Auto though, because on Native, the TV seems to have a real Yellow push...at least with the built-in Netflix app. Watch the first few minutes of the very first "House of Cards" episode. When Kevin Spacey is walking through the banquet and talking to the camera, look how incredibly yellow everything appears around him when on Dynamic and in Native Color Space. His white tuxedo shirt does not look true white at all. A few scenes later, when Zoe and Lucas are talking at work, the bright yellow push around them and the cabinets is almost unbearable.

Being somewhat hearing-challenged, I do use subtitles with the built-in Netflix app. In dark scenes, the result is very disappointing. The entire screen brightens up when the subtitles appear, and then back down again when they leave the screen. REALLY distracting for a show like "Haunting of Hill House", with its many dark lit scenes. I tried tweaking every single Picture and Eco setting I could find and nothing really helped. Earlier, I posted that choosing Dynamic mode and then Ambient Light Detection helped, but in looking again...it didn't help reduce subtitle brightness fluctuation all that much. From what I gather online, this is a common issue with edge-lit TV's. This doesn't appear to be an issue with Blu-Rays as much.

The TV is excellent for gaming. Probably one of the best I've seen. Playing my regular ole base PS4 and games are upscaled to look close to 4K. I tested an Xbox One X on this TV for a few days (which is a 4K console) and it was hard to tell the difference, even on a 65" TV. If you sit up close though (I don't), you can see it's more detailed. I was going from a 23" monitor to this 65" beast and it was a jarring difference at first.

Sadly, the NU8000 did not play nice with the One X...turning the console on and off even when I disabled those settings and removed it from the Universal remote pairing, and the console also shut down at startup a couple of times. I found at least one other example of another Samsung NU8000 owner reporting this issue with his One X on another forum.

So, this TV is a very hard no for me. I have 5 days left to return it, and I believe Thursday will be the day it goes away. If I was just gaming on my PS4 and watching Blu-Ray/DVD (great upscaling), I would keep it for sure...but the Netflix issues and the handshaking issues with my One X make this a sad adios.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@DVD Freaky

Put the subtitels of Netflix in yellow and boxed, it should fix the brightness problem. I read Sony tv’s also have This problem , seems inherent to edge lit.

You can change Netflix subtiles here :

netflix.com/subtitlepreferences

No tv setting I tried Will fix it, but changing the color for both Netflix and amazon did the trick for my one x.
And you can setup the picture as you want, warm2 etc ...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would confirm that your soundbar is ARC compatible... which I'm sure it is. Use an HDMI cable from the ARC Source on your TV (Source 4 on mine), to the HDMI out on your soundbar, or whichever port says ARC. Then set your TV audio to external speakers, but I think it will maybe do that automatically.

I used the settings posted by the fine gentleman here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2978658-2018-samsung-nu8000-owners-thread-9.html#post56669768

I used those settings as a baseline, then increased the color and backlight a little to suit my room.

Thank you. Will give it a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, just joined as I have just got a 55" N8000. The TV is great, but I have one puzzing issues.
If I use Anytime+/CEC - whenever I put the TV into standby, it powers off any HDMI connected devices (SetupTop Box, SoundBar etc) - which is wrong
as the set top box obviously needs to continue to record programs etc.

So question 1, is it possible to tell the N8000 NOT to use CEC for a particular device?

I have had to therefore disable CEC/Anytime to stop it powering off connected devices.
I then had issues trying to get my Phillips soundbar to work when connected to HDMI-ARC...
Turns out, HDMI ARC only works if CEC/Anytime is enabled - WTF!

So I have to now use a SPDIF (optical) connection to the soundbar from the TV, and use the TV sound for the set top box
as the set top box was previously using the soundbar's optical input.

I feel I am missing something here....!!!

Any comments gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
@DVD Freaky

Put the subtitels of Netflix in yellow and boxed, it should fix the brightness problem. I read Sony tv’s also have This problem , seems inherent to edge lit.

You can change Netflix subtiles here :

netflix.com/subtitlepreferences

No tv setting I tried Will fix it, but changing the color for both Netflix and amazon did the trick for my one x.
And you can setup the picture as you want, warm2 etc ...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried that. I read somewhere else about that recommendation for the yellow subtitles and it didn't really help all that much when I tried it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,,,Does anyone think this tv is too dark in movie mode...I tried rratings settings and for me it's too dark. My tv is 65 inch using only for movies in basemant in complete dark. Mostly watching blue Rays. I only have around 30 UHD discs but both look too dark in movie settings...And I think that I have good eye for picture quality..

·
Registered
424 Posts
I messed around in the service menu and changed the local dimming setting from default 1 to 2 and 2 seems to dim less. I was looking for something in there to try and lower the Freesync range but no luck.

There is also a factory option of "UHDA" that was set off that I put on, no idea what it does but now I can print out a UHDA premium logo and put it on the box. I also enabled the ambient screen mode and it appears to work like the QLED lineup.
How do you use Ambient mode without the button on the remote ?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Weird, it gone here with boxed yellow subtitles. No screen brightening at all.
I can try it again later tonight once it's totally dark but I tried this a few days ago and didn't seem to do all that much for me. It is much more noticeable in dark scenes. Watch the first few minutes of "Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix, when the dad goes into the kids' room. It's a dark-lit scene and the subtitles just make the brightness fluctuate up and down. Make sure you are watching in a very dark room too, to really see this. Even in a little brighter room, you should be able to notice this brightness fluctuation.

I hadn't yet activated Ambient detection when I first tried the yellow subtitles, which makes it even darker. That might work in conjunction but the ultimate effect is that the screen will be extremely dark. Kinda takes away from the enjoyment of the TV. I know all edge-lit TV's will have an issue with this (I know from reading other forums that it affects Sony edge-lit also), but maybe a Full Array TV like the TCL 6-Series would do better with this issue.

For some reason, with Blu-Rays, this brightness issue might not be as bad...at least, in the limited testing I have done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys, just joined as I have just got a 55" N8000. The TV is great, but I have one puzzing issues.
If I use Anytime+/CEC - whenever I put the TV into standby, it powers off any HDMI connected devices (SetupTop Box, SoundBar etc) -
which is wrong
as the set top box obviously needs to continue to record programs etc.

So question 1, is it possible to tell the N8000 NOT to use CEC for a particular device?

I have had to therefore disable CEC/Anytime to stop it powering off connected devices.
I then had issues trying to get my Phillips soundbar to work when connected to HDMI-ARC...
Turns out, HDMI ARC only works if CEC/Anytime is enabled - WTF!

So I have to now use a SPDIF (optical) connection to the soundbar from the TV, and use the TV sound for the set top box
as the set top box was previously using the soundbar's optical input.

I feel I am missing something here....!!!

Any comments gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
I had this problem with my Roku turning off. I just went into the Roku settings and turned off “one touch setting”. It essentially turned off the device from recognizing the signal from the other remote/cable.

Luckily I don’t have that problem with my DVR tho.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@ DVD FREAKY Finished house on the haunted hill, screen brightening is gone here, I watch dark movies all the time. If it was still here I would notice. And try to put your tv on warm 2 as that’s the standard the industry masters on, maybe that also helped here.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just received a 75nu8000. It looks good. I need some help w some issues.

It is set up in a brightly lit living room but we mostly watch at night. I tested it out w some 4K material from YouTube via Samsung. It looked beautiful. But normal Netflix etc looks over saturated.

I have it directly connected to a 4Kappletv and a Verizon Fios cable box. I have a Bose soundbar/woofer w a controlling console (lifestyle 135) connected via digital optical as the Bose does not support passing 4K.

1- Biggest issue - I had to connect an hdmi cable to tell the Bose to produce the sound. But after I turned the tv off and then on again the sound stopped going through the Bose. The tv is set to send sound via optical.
It is difficult to troubleshoot without the onscreen display from the Bose. I suppose I can connect the Fios box via Bose. But there must be some setting which leaves sound always on through the Bose sound system. Any ideas?

2- Torch mode: We have CNN running in the background and it appears to be in Torch mode. I did a slight calibration based on the settings in this thread but the colors look over saturated. Anyone else experience this? It’s in all picture modes.

3- Remotes: right now I have 4 remotes. Which one is the best to use for all functions? What are other people using?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
950 Posts
I just ordered a Samsung nu8000 82" and I plan on using my denon avr s910w, will it pass all those 4k signals from ps4 with out problems?

581 - 600 of 1647 Posts