AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 1659 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi to everyone ,i just bought this Samsung ,49nu8000,is a good tv but i'm not happy with black bars in movies with hdr ,for example in netflix.
The black bars are not completely dark and looks a bit grey in some points .is a mine problem or other people have the same issue?thanks

Inviato dal mio NX549J utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi to everyone ,i just bought this Samsung ,49nu8000,is a good tv but i'm not happy with black bars in movies with hdr ,for example in netflix.
The black bars are not completely dark and looks a bit grey in some points .is a mine problem or other people have the same issue?thanks

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000

The local dimming on the NU8000 is bad. It dims the screen less than the MU8000, but focuses the dimming on moving highlights as it should. This helps reduce the amount of visible blooming and the black levels appear raised.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000

We set the 'Local Dimming' to 'Low' for the calibration (usually, we turn it off for the calibration, but it is not possible for the NU8000). Like most Samsung edge-lit TVs the local dimming feature is not very effective, so we recommend you use

It's also possible you got a bad backlight bleed at the corners of your screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks!
With local dimming low is better.
in sdr, the bars above and below are black, sometimes only with hdr films with gray-tinged images turning gray in some places,(not always in the corners) can I believe it's normal?
I use film mode both for sdr and hdr movie.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought an 82” nu8000 a few days ago and am not really happy with the DSE. I’d love opinions of how bad it seems compared to others here. I hate to return another tv to Costco after returning 425 vizios earlier this year.

Here are pics:

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trying to find a solution with hdr movies and if i set backlight 25 with film mode the movie's bars are dark enough. I saw rting's review and they suggested to set at 50(maximum).
Someone has the dame settings?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I had the zoom thing last night from my PC. It's in the TV settings and is easily fixed. I think it was something about scale, actual and auto. Actual and Auto both fixed it so I could see the entire desktop. Someone can prob tell you exactly but I found it quickly.
Thanks! I found these options under picture size.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Try adjusting the Auto-Motion Plus under the expert settings for the slow pan issue.
Thanks, I have it on Custom and have been playing with the slider. Last night, on Empire Strikes Back, both cloud city and the hoth attack scenes show some stutter / judder (still not sure I understand how they look different). After about half way up, I could see changes I didn't like, and the stutter/judder is still there. It's only on a few scenes here and there, so I'm going to try and live with it. Still on the fence, but Costco allows 90 days to return. Then the question is, what else?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, what firmware are you running on your NU8000’s in the US?

I see that just a month ago Samsung released version 1153.1. My TV says it’s running version 1153. However, it doesn’t find the newer .1 version automatically, and also doesn’t seem to want to install it via USB. It just says no new update available after approving the USB stick search. I doubt my TV came with software that was released just a month or two ago.

Thanks guys. Great thread. I picked up a 65” yesterday.
I am having the same issue. Firmware 1153, and NU8000 (75") says it is current and will not download 1153.1. Anybody have a fix for this (or know what's in the new firmware version)?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am having the same issue. Firmware 1153, and NU8000 (75") says it is current and will not download 1153.1. Anybody have a fix for this (or know what's in the new firmware version)?
- Model : NU7400, NU7500, NU8000, NU8500, NU9000, Q6F, Q7F, Q7C, Q8F, Q9F
- Version : 1153.1
- Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2018-uhd-smart-tv-nu8000

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks pretty bad, I am Sure I don’t have that with my Xbox one x.
Wondering if I should try and order one online and try my luck again or just submit a warranty claim. I’m getting tired of lugging new TVs in and having to rehang them. This is my 6th TV in the last year thanks to getting several bad Vizios. Costco will likely be getting upset about it soon I can imagine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wondering if I should try and order one online and try my luck again or just submit a warranty claim. I’m getting tired of lugging new TVs in and having to rehang them. This is my 6th TV in the last year thanks to getting several bad Vizios. Costco will likely be getting upset about it soon I can imagine.
I would definitely return it at Costco versus submitting a warranty claim.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would definitely return or exchange it through Costco versus submitting a warranty claim.
I don’t think Costco does exchanges, maybe their online department.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I would just keep it, I'm not sure if a different one will be any better. Are you able to notice it watching normal content, or just on blank screens like that? If you don't notice it on normal tv there's no point in returning it. It seems your expectations are too high for a mid-range tv.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 65" and I'd give it a B+, which at the price point is a solid grade.

Motion: I usually use Blur: 6 / Jutter: 2 -- Anything more than that and my set can stutter. I really hope Samsung can fix this with a firmware update because the set has enough horsepower where it shouldn't be an issue. Also, someone mentioned this earlier, but set Sharpness to "0" and you'll have a better experience with motion.

Picture quality: Amazing. I just spent a couple of days calibrating with my eyes and I'm beyond satisfied. Infinity War 4k HDR looks _amazing_.

Dimming: Atrocious, again, I hope Samsung can address this with firmware, or at least give me the option to turn it off. I honestly can't tell the difference between "Low" and "Standard." Why not just have "High, Low, Off"?

Popping: I understand wanting to provide a theater experience, but the popcorn machine is a bit much. It lasts maybe 5-10 minutes of turning the set on, not a big deal for me. My PS4 pro does the same thing after I turn it off. Actually my TCL 5 series in my bedroom does the same thing to a lesser degree. Climate+heat issue maybe? No idea.

UI: At least on my set the UI is QUICK (I use Cloudflare's DNS on my router, so maybe try that for anyone having issues with latency, it's quicker than Google's imo). Also, disable the default "channel" or I believe it's "lock" in Apps, that should help as well.

Refresh: This is where this TV shines (besides the PQ). 1080p @ 120 Hz is sick for PC gaming and I don't think the set gets the love it deserves because not everyone is going to use this, but if you do, you're in for a treat.

Overall, the TV has its faults, some of which will hopefully be addressed through updates, but after 5-10 minutes of it being on the popping goes away and I'm left with an AMAZING picture.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just got the 82 inch version of this TV. I tried Rtings calibration settings but I find them too dark, yellow and washed out... not very vibrant at all. Does anyone have any other calibration settings they have had luck with?
I also use rtings settings for SDR and HDR, but I have the following differences:
For HDR content I have the contrast enhancer to high.
For SDR contents I have the the backlight on 30. Dont turn the contrast enhancer on for SDR.
I have the contrast at 50 for both.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have the 65" and I'd give it a B+, which at the price point is a solid grade.

Motion: I usually use Blur: 6 / Jutter: 2 -- Anything more than that and my set can stutter. I really hope Samsung can fix this with a firmware update because the set has enough horsepower where it shouldn't be an issue. Also, someone mentioned this earlier, but set Sharpness to "0" and you'll have a better experience with motion.

Picture quality: Amazing. I just spent a couple of days calibrating with my eyes and I'm beyond satisfied. Infinity War 4k HDR looks _amazing_.

Dimming: Atrocious, again, I hope Samsung can address this with firmware, or at least give me the option to turn it off. I honestly can't tell the difference between "Low" and "Standard." Why not just have "High, Low, Off"?

Popping: I understand wanting to provide a theater experience, but the popcorn machine is a bit much. It lasts maybe 5-10 minutes of turning the set on, not a big deal for me. My PS4 pro does the same thing after I turn it off. Actually my TCL 5 series in my bedroom does the same thing to a lesser degree. Climate+heat issue maybe? No idea.

UI: At least on my set the UI is QUICK (I use Cloudflare's DNS on my router, so maybe try that for anyone having issues with latency, it's quicker than Google's imo). Also, disable the default "channel" or I believe it's "lock" in Apps, that should help as well.

Refresh: This is where this TV shines (besides the PQ). 1080p @ 120 Hz is sick for PC gaming and I don't think the set gets the love it deserves because not everyone is going to use this, but if you do, you're in for a treat.

Overall, the TV has its faults, some of which will hopefully be addressed through updates, but after 5-10 minutes of it being on the popping goes away and I'm left with an AMAZING picture.
One of the big reasons I was avoiding in this set and thought about LG because LG has the ability to turn theirs off.

I was told that if the LG's local dimming was off, that it was more horrible though aside from poor blacks since it's an IPS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the big reasons I was avoiding in this set and thought about LG because LG has the ability to turn theirs off.

I was told that if the LG's local dimming was off, that it was more horrible though aside from poor blacks since it's an IPS.
Could go with the SK9000 for a few hundred more, though I don't know if their full array is worth the price difference; I've never actually seen one outside of a store. That said, I don't understand why the nu8000's previous and lower tier models (MU8000) have better dimming, albeit still bad. I just don't get it.

All in all though I love the TV, and at the

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hey guys I just purchased the 82" version of this set and I went to pick up with my brothers suv. He has a big gmc truck. Box was so big I could not get it in. So I gotta ask do you think a van from uhaul or home depot will be big enough to bring it home?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey guys I just purchased the 82" version of this set and I went to pick up with my brothers suv. He has a big gmc truck. Box was so big I could not get it in. So I gotta ask do you think a van from uhaul or home depot will be big enough to bring it home?
My 65" from Samsung's delivery company was in a van.

621 - 640 of 1659 Posts