AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1712 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
After updating to 1290.4 my Amazon Prime, which I access thru the TV, seems to have slowed down. Scrolling thru movie lists and stopping/resuming movies is slower.
Anybody else experience this?
Yes, I have the same experience but not only that. The splash screen logo is now huge, monochromatic and looks terrible, the busy animation is bigger and not as polished as before; and worst of all, the 1080p next to HD is gone from the info bar now, 720p and 1080p are both displayed as HD now. The amazon prime app feels like a significant downgrade overall. Shame.

·
Premium Member
6,530 Posts
So I've circled back and picked up an 82inch version of this model, I previously owned a 75, which had pretty bad clouding. Fortunately clouding is very minimal on the 82. I sold my 940e because I wanted to go bigger, and got this one at an excellent price. Overall its about 85% as good as the 940e, but man the size difference is awesome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys - first time here, I've got a hell of a problem with this TV (55" NU8000) when used with the HW-950 Sound Bar. I've tried dozens of things over the course of months to try to work around it, I'll not verbally dump everything but here's the crux...

The TV supports 120Hz at 2560x1440, when I run HDMI from my PC to the TV it detects that and everything is great.

If I run HDMI from the TV to the sound bar, then HDMI from the sound bar to the TV, no more 120Hz at 2560x1440. Only 60Hz.

It's like the TV isn't able to tell the PC that it has this 120Hz support when it has to go back through the sound bar, and it's driving me mental, it's the sole reason I bought this TV. And now I can't use this kick ass sound bar if I want the 120Hz enabled. The sound bar has HDMI 2.0 pass through which supports that 120Hz format, I checked that before buying, but now it appears like nobody at Samsung thought about this scenario.

Can't get an answer anywhere, been Googling for months and it honestly feels like I'm the only person in the world to been trying to do this! All I want to do is use the 120Hz panel whilst using the sound bar in the way it's designed to be used, can anyone possibly shed any light on why it won't pass through 1440p 120Hz?

p.s. I can make a custom resolution in NV Control Panel to brute force a 120Hz signal through to the TV, but any picture changes done on the TV like enabling HDR will kick it off and cancel it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys - first time here, I've got a hell of a problem with this TV (55" NU8000) when used with the HW-950 Sound Bar. I've tried dozens of things over the course of months to try to work around it, I'll not verbally dump everything but here's the crux...

The TV supports 120Hz at 2560x1440, when I run HDMI from my PC to the TV it detects that and everything is great.

If I run HDMI from the TV to the sound bar, then HDMI from the sound bar to the TV, no more 120Hz at 2560x1440. Only 60Hz.

It's like the TV isn't able to tell the PC that it has this 120Hz support when it has to go back through the sound bar, and it's driving me mental, it's the sole reason I bought this TV. And now I can't use this kick ass sound bar if I want the 120Hz enabled. The sound bar has HDMI 2.0 pass through which supports that 120Hz format, I checked that before buying, but now it appears like nobody at Samsung thought about this scenario.

Can't get an answer anywhere, been Googling for months and it honestly feels like I'm the only person in the world to been trying to do this! All I want to do is use the 120Hz panel whilst using the sound bar in the way it's designed to be used, can anyone possibly shed any light on why it won't pass through 1440p 120Hz?

p.s. I can make a custom resolution in NV Control Panel to brute force a 120Hz signal through to the TV, but any picture changes done on the TV like enabling HDR will kick it off and cancel it.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry that forth line was meant to read:

"If I run HDMI from the PC to the sound bar, then HDMI from the sound bar to the TV, no more 120Hz at 2560x1440. Only 60Hz."

·
Registered
3 Posts
So... I think I've managed to come up with a workaround, an hour after posting this and 6 months after first trying to fix it.

I'll write it down here, because it's been insanely frustrating to not find any info anywhere on this, so someone else might come across this.

Basically, it looks like the sound bar (probably all sound bars) are incapable of feeding back the unique properties of the TV panel. For example the new firmware on this TV enabled G-Sync support, but that was completely unavailable through the sound bar... probably for other reasons but it just wasn't detected. But it isn't capable of being told by the TV that it supports 120Hz 1440p, so it's just impossible to run that format through the sound bar.

Anyway, this is the workaround. It'll differ based on which video card your PC has.

Run a HDMI cable from the GPU (HDMI port) direct to the TV, that'll unlock the full capability of the TV. G-Sync still doesn't work properly but I'm going to give up on that.

Then, buy a Display Port to HDMI adaptor. Plug that into a display port on your video card. Then run HDMI cable from that direct to the sound bar.

So you'll have two cables going out from the GPU, one to the TV and one to the sound bar. The PC will pick up the sound bar as a third monitor/display, but also a digital audio device. You can then change the default audio device to be this third monitor which will have full Dolby Atmos support into the sound bar!

So you can have 120Hz 1440p playing out from the native HDMI port on the video card, and dolby atmos playing out to the sound bar through the display port to HDMI adaptor.

Bit of a messy solution which results in more cables, you lose the ability to control the sound bar with the TV remote, you lose sound settings from the TV, you gain this extra third monitor which isn't really a monitor, but I can accept all that as now I've got Dolby Atmos and the full potential of the TV now.

Really quite frustrated that this isn't documented anywhere like I'm the only one who's ever tried to do this, but whatever. Hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
492 Posts
dark scene looks horrible

Before I reset all my settings and attempt to troubleshoot, can anyone tell me why HDR content looks like this ?

I've played with Local dimming settings and they don't help
Backlight is set to 50 and reducing it doesn't help unless I go all the way to 0 in which the scenes are too dark.

In 1080p non HDR content, its less noticeable but still there. I have a bestbuy warranty that I might use if I can't get this thing to look decent.

I uploaded 2 sample photos of the screen. This was Hill House in 4k HDR on netflix, those scenes are not supposed to have 4 ghosts with flashlights in the corners lol.

Dark scenes are the worse but it's still distracting and really noticeable with lighter scenes, or even just letterboxing with 21:9 content.

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
Before I reset all my settings and attempt to troubleshoot, can anyone tell me why HDR content looks like this ?

I've played with Local dimming settings and they don't help
Backlight is set to 50 and reducing it doesn't help unless I go all the way to 0 in which the scenes are too dark.

In 1080p non HDR content, its less noticeable but still there. I have a bestbuy warranty that I might use if I can't get this thing to look decent.

I uploaded 2 sample photos of the screen. This was Hill House in 4k HDR on netflix, those scenes are not supposed to have 4 ghosts with flashlights in the corners lol.

Dark scenes are the worse but it's still distracting and really noticeable with lighter scenes, or even just letterboxing with 21:9 content.
Your tv is defective. Suggest you use your warranty and have it replaced.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ok thanks everyone. Considering the premium I pay in my country (Almost $4000 after tax and warranty) I'm pretty unhappy with this tv.

Also this weird TV plus app it downloaded and now plays TV channels when I essentially use the panel as a monitor is pretty annoying.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Who has compared the 75" NU8000 to the 75" Q60 ? Is the Q60 worth the extra money ? Costco is selling both of them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Who has compared the 75" NU8000 to the 75" Q60 ? Is the Q60 worth the extra money ? Costco is selling both of them.

Thanks.
If you haven't decided yet, I'd personally suggest the NU8000 especially for a lower price. I've owned the 55" model for 8 months now and overall couldn't be happier with my decision. According to Rtings.com the new Q60 and RU8000 models are very similar but lower rated than the previous year models. Due to the 75" size, there's going to be noticeable corner blooming at times on either set but if you purchase some LED backlighting strips the blooming becomes much less noticeable. It appears the 2019 models were a step back in overall quality but no matter what you end up choosing I highly suggest the LED strips to help cover up the blooming issues. :)

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Thanks. The wall behind my TV is black, so I don't think bias lighting will do any good. :)

I haven't bought a TV yet. I'll probably wait for the new models to come out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have the panel type in the service menu under Option/Type for the 65" NU8000? I had my mainboard replaced and now the type shows as 00LD00621 which I believe is a generic default for the mainboard. Blur Reduction is missing from Auto Motion Plus and overall picture quality is noticeably degraded.

1581 - 1600 of 1712 Posts