AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1712 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also does anybody have any recommend picture settings for Xbox/PS4? Anybody colourblind with red green deurotanopia or similar adjusted things? And is there any point in turning on freesync in Xbox one x if no game supports it/locked at 30 fps. Alongside this does anyone bother using auto game plus for motion interpolation? I.e. Witcher 3 on 4k goes upto 60 FPS with auto game plus if it's locked at 30.
If the game runs at stable 30 or 60 FPS cap, always use game motion plus to have as smoothest experience as possible. If the game allows you to unlock framerate (usually in perfromance mode) or if the game doesn't suceed at reaching framerate cap, then I would recommend to turn freesync (which turns off game motion plus) on to avoid any tearing. If the game has some minor dips below 60 FPS, you can stick to 4K 60 Hz mode as the freesync range is down to 48 FPS. However if the game is totally uncapped or if it unsuccesfull in reaching 30 FPS cap, then you have to set your console to 1440p 120 Hz mode. 120 Hz mode is crucial for the TV to unlock enhanced freesync range down to 20 FPS so you won't experience any tearing no matter how unstable the framerate is.

Hope it makes sense. I need to emphasize this works for me as a PC player but I don't know any reason why it doesn't apply to Xbox as well. Let me know your experience :)

Regarding the screen dimming as mentioned above, I always thought it was a good thing. I like how the screen goes absolutely dimm when the black image is in the video. No grey, just pure black. Why is that problem for you? Don't really understand...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could you please share The Code to enter the service mode and how using the smart remote
Had to get another remote to access it. Also ised my phone with rf thatvuses audio jack to send the menu code. Both can work fine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
New FW update on Korean Site 1310.4 dated today, as always no changelog

·
Registered
492 Posts
Is ARC and SPDIF connections decent for surround on this TV? I know they don't do DTS, but they'll do PCM and Dolby Digital. Is the PCM output through arc 5.1 or limited to Stereo ?

I have an older Onkyo TX NR818 receiver that is an absolute beast of an amp, and does Audyssey XT32 calibration and has pre-outs.

However it doesn't handle 4k video as far as I know. Since I don't really care about HD audio formats (48khz signal is good enough for me), can I get a good experience with 5.1 from the receiver using ARC or SPDIF ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I downloaded and installed 1310.4 via usb and so far haven't noticed any difference from the last update. Maybe it has more of a noticeable affect on the Q series but overall I'm still completely satisfied with the performance of my NU8000. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Srsly guys, I am really confused why I cannot get 10 bit colors while using 1440p120Hz. Only 8 bit is available in Radeon software. Other resolutions work just fine with 10 bit.

With 10 bit, the peak brightness is ca. 900 nits, with 8 bit it's only like 800 nits. I'd like to game in 1440p120Hz with HDR but it ain't that impressive :-(

·
Registered
140 Posts
Srsly guys, I am really confused why I cannot get 10 bit colors while using 1440p120Hz. Only 8 bit is available in Radeon software. Other resolutions work just fine with 10 bit.

With 10 bit, the peak brightness is ca. 900 nits, with 8 bit it's only like 800 nits. I'd like to game in 1440p120Hz with HDR but it ain't that impressive :-(
Set the chroma at 4:2:2.. ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got a Series X today to replace my Xbox one S and now auto game plus is greyed out, any ideas on what i should try to restore it how it was before ?

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got a Series X today to replace my Xbox one S and now auto game plus is greyed out, any ideas on what i should try to restore it how it was before ?

Thanks
If you have FreeSync enabled then Game Motion Plus will be disabled in General settings when using game picture mode.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks but auto game mode is still greyed out with Freesync off, my only option are on or off which usually with my One S it would be on auto ?
Could it be Samsung didn't send an update and the TV don't see the new Series S or X as a gaming console ?

Btw is the Nu8000 49" compatible with Freesync since i have some flickering from time to time with chosing ultimate Freesync ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Edit#2: Scratch all of that. I have something else on my hands. I used the internal youtube app to rule out an Xbox issue. Now I went straight into the receiver to rule out the TV.

I finally took the time to run my Xbox to my receiver, then to my TV (instead of using ARC), Even though it breaks 4k, I felt it was necessary for troubleshooting. STILL, I have the rear channel sounds coming out of the front in the youtube test videos.

This, despite the fact that the test tones all work good, and my receiver settings haven't been touched in years (I did go through them again to be sure). Bizarre, and I'm at a complete loss.

Original post below:
_

So my TV has stopped providing 5.1 sound to my receiver. I just got the new Xbox, and realized this as I was setting it up. First I thought it was an Xbox issue, but then realized it's an issue even when using the TV's built in Youtube app (using a 5.1 test video I've used many times in the past).

Because my receiver is old and doesn't support 4k, I have everything running through the TV, then to the receiver through ARC. I know this isn't ideal, but I've used it for well over a year with no issues (perhaps because it's a Samsung receiver).

The ARC sound comes through no problem. But when watching the test videos, the sounds that are supposed to come out of the rears just come out of the front L and R. I know the speakers are good because my receivers test tones come out of all the speakers fine. I tried going through optical too, again with no luck. I even tried disconnecting everything, I tried running through the TV's setup again, all with no luck.

Any thoughts what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Edit: So under my TV's expert sound settings, "Digital Output Audio format" is limited to PCM only. Dolby Digital is greyed out. I'm assuming this is the problem, but it's never been an issue before. HDMI Aynet is enabled.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you have FreeSync enabled then Game Motion Plus will be disabled in General settings when using game picture mode.
Thanks but auto game mode is still greyed out with Freesync off, my only option are on or off which usually with my One S it would be on auto ?
Could it be Samsung didn't send an update and the TV don't see the new Series S or X as a gaming console ?

Btw is the Nu8000 49" compatible with Freesync since i have some flickering from time to time with chosing ultimate Freesync ?
Make sure to go through all of your video settings on the Series X console and that they're setup like they were on your One S. As far as I know the 49" is compatible with FreeSync but when it comes to flickering I'm not sure if that's due to the fact it's a 60hz panel?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks, i went back to the one S settings and i made sure both were the same and it's still greyed out.

As for freesync on a different question for the 49" is it better leaving it at basic or ultimate ?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Zlat: What is Auto game plus and what does it do? I don't have such option in my NU8002. Just Game motion plus or Freesync. Once I set my PC is a gaming device (it wasn't recognized automatically), it always switches to game mode when using it.

Dunno what the difference between basic and ultimate is. So why not to go with ultimate? 🙃

My screen also flickers a little bit with freesync if the current FPS is below 60 (despite the low framerate compensation :rolleyes: ), it's especialy visible at the static images in the game like menus. What is weird is the fact it flickers in the left low corner only. The rest of the screen is okay.

Anyway, considering you have 60 Hz panel, use Freesync only for those game with 60 FPS goal which have some minor dips because your freesync range ends at 48 FPS. For those game with 30 or 60 FPS (stable) lock, use Game motion plus for maximum smoothness.

Holmes 108: Can you post that youtube video? I'll give it a try. I didn't know there were youtube vids with surround sound. Anyway, my sound settings also allows PCM only with youtube. But I use Plex quite often and it transfers sound to my receiver over ARC without any issues (all 5 channels). It then switches to Dolby Digital automatically.

Speaking about the Xbox, what sound output does it actually have? Is it 5.1 uncompressed (like when using PC) or does it use compressed DD or something like that?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Holmes 108: Can you post that youtube video? I'll give it a try. I didn't know there were youtube vids with surround sound. Anyway, my sound settings also allows PCM only with youtube. But I use Plex quite often and it transfers sound to my receiver over ARC without any issues (all 5 channels). It then switches to Dolby Digital automatically.

Speaking about the Xbox, what sound output does it actually have? Is it 5.1 uncompressed (like when using PC) or does it use compressed DD or something like that?
Thanks for the reply. So I should have done further testing. The issue seems solely with youtube. Gaming and Netflix are fine. I should have been more thorough, but because I tested both the Xbox YT app and TV Youtube app, I thought it was a system wide issue.

I don't know the extent of Youtube's 5.1 support, but I've definitely used these specific videos in the past successfully, and they don't work anymore:

1661 - 1680 of 1712 Posts