AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 898 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you can see it under normal viewing and not just the gray background, then I'd say return it. You could also get lucky and find one of these unicorn 82" displays that isn't ghosting as a bonus. If you do that, the real question is what will you do if the new TV has the same ghosting issue but is otherwise free of issues?
Thanks - if ghosting was the only issue then I'd be happy with the TV. I don't notice the ghosting much during normal viewing (other than animated stuff where it is quite shocking actually). It doesn't seem to be noticeable when playing video games either so all would be good :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks - if ghosting was the only issue then I'd be happy with the TV. I don't notice the ghosting much during normal viewing (other than animated stuff where it is quite shocking actually). It doesn't seem to be noticeable when playing video games either so all would be good :)
Speaking of animation.. .here's a video of my TV with a B&W animated short from YouTube.

and here's the a quick Disenchanted clip... you can see the outline of the king's face with trailing ghosting effect as he looks down at the camera. Harder to see on camera, very noticeable on an 82" screen however.

Honestly I don't see it much on video games, but it is there from time to time just depends on the content. I could live with it for video games, and real life video, but I do tend to watch alot of animated shows and honestly this should not be happening on such an expensive TV.

I opened a case with Samsung this morning, they are going to send a tech out to look at it. If they want to replace the panel I'll let them.. if that doesn't fix it, i'll return it as I'll still be in my return window. I have till Feb 11th. At that point, I'll just move on from Samsung I guess.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've seen a few posts about the Q6FN having issues with subtitled content causing fluctuations in brightness, which seems to be a problem with the whole QLED line (and maybe even the NU8000, not sure on that one). Is this subtitle/brightness issue just in HDR material, or does it affect "standard" HD content as well? Is there a reasonable workaround? (In some cases I've read that changing the subtitle color or transparency may help, if it's being electronically generated--but you can't do that with subtitles that are "burned into" the film.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, i am newbie here.

I was considering to buy Q6FN or add 200$ and take Sony X900F.

But after yesterday news, i found that Q6FN will be supporting Airplay 2 and iTunes after firmware update. I think it is a huge + on samsung side, right? For example the new Sony X95G (model which will replace x900f - announced yesterday) will also support Airplay, despite it is android system. But the previous 2018 models (x900f) will not be updated to support Airplay.

What do you think about this?

I still not decided which TV to buy. I think i will not wait for the 2019 lineup in stores and will take some older 2018 tv model. And probably Q6FN. It is cheaper and will be supporting apple iphone/mac.

Maybe is there anybody like me, which were confused which tv to choose between these 2? :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello, i am newbie here.

I was considering to buy Q6FN or add 200$ and take Sony X900F.

But after yesterday news, i found that Q6FN will be supporting Airplay 2 and iTunes after firmware update. I think it is a huge + on samsung side, right? For example the new Sony X95G (model which will replace x900f - announced yesterday) will also support Airplay, despite it is android system. But the previous 2018 models (x900f) will not be updated to support Airplay.

What do you think about this?

I still not decided which TV to buy. I think i will not wait for the 2019 lineup in stores and will take some older 2018 tv model. And probably Q6FN. It is cheaper and will be supporting apple iphone/mac.

Maybe is there anybody like me, which were confused which tv to choose between these 2? :)

If you are looking at the 82 and 85 respectively, then I would hesitate on the Q6FN just because of the ghosting issue that seems to be widespread (hoping to get mine fixed through Samsung Service). The smaller screens don't appear to have that issue so you're probably good there.

I would say it depends on what you are looking for. First the Sammy is going to be considerably cheaper. If you like bright screens, vibrant and vivid colors, and user friendly interface, and better gaming features then the Sammy wins. If you prefer more realistic color, better blacks (as long as you can tolerate some blooming), way better motion (good for sports), then I'd say go with the Sony.

It seems you really are hyped about the iTunes integration, so for you that could be a deal closer. Doesn't matter much for me, I'm not a slave to the Apple Ecosystem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen a few posts about the Q6FN having issues with subtitled content causing fluctuations in brightness, which seems to be a problem with the whole QLED line (and maybe even the NU8000, not sure on that one). Is this subtitle/brightness issue just in HDR material, or does it affect "standard" HD content as well? Is there a reasonable workaround? (In some cases I've read that changing the subtitle color or transparency may help, if it's being electronically generated--but you can't do that with subtitles that are "burned into" the film.)
I own a 75 inch Q6FN bought from Costco. This set shows some brightness fluctuations between bright and Dark scenes. Not sure if anyone else noticed the same thing. Or know of a setting to fix it. It is a great set except this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, recent owner here of a 55" Q6F, really digging it, doesn't seem like I have a lot of local dimming issues or ghosting stuff but I do get annoyed by the way it handles lower res content + interpolation. Seen people suggest turning all the Auto Motion Plus stuff off or custom / 0 but it judders way too hard for my liking on 720p (TV here) content. Anyone figure out some nice middleground? Atm I just have it auto, the artifacts bother me less than the judder but the artifacts still mess with my OCD.

Not really digging that rtings approach but I guess that's what most people are doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apologies if this has been previously posted, 51 pages is a lot of reading and the search option won't allow me to select "forum". Anyway here goes. Its all very well the Q6F has a "bezel-less" design i.e. it only being 3mm on 3 sides however I've noticed there is also a 5mm black border around picture regardless of source. Is there anyway to get rid of this?
"

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey guys, recent owner here of a 55" Q6F, really digging it, doesn't seem like I have a lot of local dimming issues or ghosting stuff but I do get annoyed by the way it handles lower res content + interpolation. Seen people suggest turning all the Auto Motion Plus stuff off or custom / 0 but it judders way too hard for my liking on 720p (TV here) content. Anyone figure out some nice middleground? Atm I just have it auto, the artifacts bother me less than the judder but the artifacts still mess with my OCD.

Not really digging that rtings approach but I guess that's what most people are doing.

I have found that I can't use motion interpolation on Directv. For some reason it just freaks out. The motion gets really jerky. I only use it while streaming and watching blu ray movies. The motion interpolation for game mode creates too many artifacts for me, so I just use the Freesync option for that. While watching movies, I set the reduce judder option no higher than 7. Past that, you will see too many artifacts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Watching 4K HDR movies like The Dark Knight, I see quite a bit of light bleeding into the dark scenes, especially during the IMAX shots. The picture looks great other than that. Do others notice this during dark scenes with HDR movies? It can be a bit distracting, since it washes out the color and detail quite a bit depending on the scene.
Try changing Local Dimming to Low, and make sure you have the other things turned off such as contrast enhancer and hdr+ (simulated hdr)

Hi. Just curious if you ever went to Costco to verify if the Q65FN had the anti reflective coating
I just watched this youtube video comparing the two but most of the features that the the manual said Q6 did not have such as optimized audio, people in the comments confirmed it did Was wondering the deal with HDR Elite and Ultra Clear, Ultra Black Elite.
My firmware is 1153 from autoupdate and I wonder if it is safe to update using the firmware on the Q6 page , because the Q65 page does not list a firmware upgrade.... if there are differences downloading the wrong firmware might affect the additional features
rtings talks about the differences too, look towards the bottom of their q6fn review:

"Update 09/25/2018: The Q65FN has a 4.1 sound system rather than the 2.1 system found on the Q6FN.

If someone comes across a different type of panel or if their Samsung Q6FN doesn't correspond to our review, let us know and we will update the review."

I own a 75 inch Q6FN bought from Costco. This set shows some brightness fluctuations between bright and Dark scenes. Not sure if anyone else noticed the same thing. Or know of a setting to fix it. It is a great set except this issue.
Try changing Local Dimming to Low, and make sure you have the other things turned off such as contrast enhancer and hdr+ (simulated hdr)

This is a newbie question regarding changing picture settings:
If I am in menu, and Movie is selected, then go to expert settings and make adjustments, I am then only changing the setting for when picture mode is Movie, right?
Also, I noticed people who post settings have different settings for SDR and HDR. Where do you enter the 2nd set of settings?
You are correct, movie settings stick with the movie. To change the HDR settings, you need to be viewing HDR content. Samsung doesn't do the best job explaining this, but when you watch SDR or HDR they have a different set of settings

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more question before decision to buy this 55" Q6FN TV. I watched a lot of reviews and read all the topics. I dont know much about tech, dimming, blurring, bleeding, glare/reflection, motion etc.. but eventually i got some into my head after reading all this. But finally please could someone tell me, how this TV on watching EU football (soccer) ? The grass is green? The colour is not too sharp? No shadow effect in motion, when the player moves fast towards the ball?

I sit at work and watch on DELL screen every working day, so im coming home with tired eyes. Sometimes almost crying, especially in dark winter time. So for me the TV is not for gaming. Not for special content. Movies - occasionally (let say 1 time per week). So it is just for regular content, that any HD channel is showing. But the most important thing for me is football (soccer) games. I want to relax while watching this game. Sofa+beer+TV+football. I would not like to analyse bad colour efect or stick on settings to find the best option to just simple watch the football in HD. Thats all i need from this Q6FN 55". Just to relax while watching football.

So how this TV is good or bad on this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have found that I can't use motion interpolation on Directv. For some reason it just freaks out. The motion gets really jerky. I only use it while streaming and watching blu ray movies. The motion interpolation for game mode creates too many artifacts for me, so I just use the Freesync option for that. While watching movies, I set the reduce judder option no higher than 7. Past that, you will see too many artifacts.
Hey mhyatt, thanks for your reply!

So you just have it on "Off" or do you have it set to custom and both sliders at 0 value? (For TV)

I'll give it a go capping it at 7 for movies/streaming. Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey mhyatt, thanks for your reply!

So you just have it on "Off" or do you have it set to custom and both sliders at 0 value? (For TV)

I'll give it a go capping it at 7 for movies/streaming. Thanks!

I set it to Off completely for my cable/satellite viewing. I don't notice any motion issues this way. I don't think I am sensitive to motion blur or stutter as long as it's not overboard. I just kind of like the soap opera effect for movies. I'm one of the weird ones.

·
Registered
230 Posts
One more question before decision to buy this 55" Q6FN TV. I watched a lot of reviews and read all the topics. I dont know much about tech, dimming, blurring, bleeding, glare/reflection, motion etc.. but eventually i got some into my head after reading all this. But finally please could someone tell me, how this TV on watching EU football (soccer) ? The grass is green? The colour is not too sharp? No shadow effect in motion, when the player moves fast towards the ball?

I sit at work and watch on DELL screen every working day, so im coming home with tired eyes. Sometimes almost crying, especially in dark winter time. So for me the TV is not for gaming. Not for special content. Movies - occasionally (let say 1 time per week). So it is just for regular content, that any HD channel is showing. But the most important thing for me is football (soccer) games. I want to relax while watching this game. Sofa+beer+TV+football. I would not like to analyse bad colour efect or stick on settings to find the best option to just simple watch the football in HD. Thats all i need from this Q6FN 55". Just to relax while watching football.

I don't see any issues while watching sports on this TV. I think the motion handling is pretty good. The local dimming is so subtle that you will not see strange brightness fluctuations around players or anything like that. The uniformity seems to be good as well, so not much if any dirty screen effect. It sounds like a good choice for you.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Also, something to keep in mind, since you will mainly just be watching sports. According to rtings.com, this TV is very close to the same performance as the NU8000, which can be purchased for a cheaper price usually. If I were just watching sports, I would probably just get that TV. Plus the gray uniformity is supposedly even better on that TV, so no dirty screen effect. You will still have the good motion handling and all that. I think there's only a slight difference in contrast and color gamut, that would not be noticeable for most content.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I contacted Samsung Tech Support. They had a local tech contact me and I discussed the issue and sent him a video I shot of my TV playing a black & white animated cartoon where the ghosting was very obvious. He went back and talked with Samsung support and they feel that I have a defective panel. At least from a Samsung perspective they did not consider this normal and within spec.

So I'm having the tech come out next week with a new panel and board... i'm hoping it fixes the issue AND i'm hoping I get lucky on the panel lottery because the screen I have now is almost perfect except for the ghosting. With my luck, they fix the ghosting and I get some other issue like really bad DSE or light bleed... but I'm hoping for the best.

The tech has his doubts that I'll see a difference in the new panel, but I think it's worth a shot. I'm still in my return window so worse case scenario, if it's something I decide I can't live with I'll just return it.

Just sharing in case anyone else has an 82" with ghosting, you may want to call Samsung and share a video with them for their opinion.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
For those of you who are seeing motion blur issues on the 82 inch in real content, what motion settings are you using?

I didn't notice any blur until recently and I discovered that my settings had somehow changed. With Auto Motion Plus set to Custom and Blur Reduction at 10, and judder reduction above zero I was seeing puck blur in hockey. Turning both blur reduction and judder reaction off (to zero for each) fixed things.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For those of you who are seeing motion blur issues on the 82 inch in real content, what motion settings are you using?

I didn't notice any blur until recently and I discovered that my settings had somehow changed. With Auto Motion Plus set to Custom and Blur Reduction at 10, and judder reduction above zero I was seeing puck blur in hockey. Turning both blur reduction and judder reaction off (to zero for each) fixed things.
I see it on all settings (on or off and everything in between) and on all sources, including internal apps. Also see it in Game Mode.

·
Registered
259 Posts

I see it on all settings (on or off and everything in between) and on all sources, including internal apps. Also see it in Game Mode.
I've not seen any/much difference with it being set at 0 or at 10 (side note: supposedly it's best to have it set to 0 than disabling the option) -- I'm one of the magical few who have that "unicorn" that hardly shows any blur/trailing and, if anything, it doesn't show in real live viewing -- though I have a really obvious, apparent, and very noticeable "banding" issue that can be seen (i'm learning to live with it :( )...

Reactions: TheSonyFixer

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've not seen any/much difference with it being set at 0 or at 10 (side note: supposedly it's best to have it set to 0 than disabling the option) -- I'm one of the magical few who have that "unicorn" that hardly shows any blur/trailing and, if anything, it doesn't show in real live viewing -- though I have a really obvious, apparent, and very noticeable "banding" issue that can be seen (i'm learning to live with it :-( )...
I hope that I find one of those unicorns when they replace my screen and board this week, and praying that I don't inherit another issue in the process. fingers crossed!

501 - 520 of 898 Posts